Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,054 members, 7,814,626 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. (71982 Views)

What Are Those Courses That Are Still Good To Study In Nigeria? / Top 15 Courses That No Longer Exist In Nigerian Polytechnics / Top 5 Courses That You May Regret Picking In 2018 Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Peteromi(m): 10:34am On Jun 30, 2021
Op,I think the problem isn't the course but we,we don't want to be special, think wisely on how to get your way, believe in God and yourself, don't you know how America citizen make it till now, always think and seek for knowledge

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Theoarhics: 10:35am On Jun 30, 2021
Rubbish post. The very same reason a person from a poor background should study these courses...cos if u study those less lucrative courses u need strong connection to get a job and even make it in life

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by afroxyz: 10:37am On Jun 30, 2021
So children of poor people should not aspire to be better than their parents?

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by JesseJo: 10:38am On Jun 30, 2021
caesymore:
Mr. Op you have no clue...

your post is misleading

undecided

Very misleading by an ignorant fella

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Kokaine(m): 10:39am On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
A lot of Nigerian students especially those from high school still hold some archaic mentality that some courses are a sure way out of poverty. The situation of Nigeria and the future should make people dead that mentality o. If you arent from a rich family or well connected you should avoid studying some courses in Nigeria.

The following should be avoided except you are rich or well connected.

Medicine: This used to be a very sure way out of poverty. Just like 14 years back, even NYSC doctors were getting six figures. It was so good that even after NYSC and Housemanship, some doctors had bought nice cars or even built houses. The situation is totally different today. To get housemanship as a doctor na die and even when you get it you will be paid peanuts. To migrate out of the country as a doctor requires serious money which if you arent from a privileged home might be very difficult to meet. To also further as a doctor in Nigeria is very difficult as a lot of residency programs are based on who you know. Its no more about merit just as it used to be before yet every year thousands of teenagers kill themselves trying to get into medicine when they can get into other programs which are much more lucrative.

All Engineering Courses except Electrical/Computer engineering: Contrary to what a lot of people think, engineering a lot of branches of engineering are not as lucrative as people think they are. I was checking unilag's cut off the other day for my cousins and was shocked to find out that petroleum engineering has the highest cut-off point in the engineering department. That is a program that should be scrapped. Its glory days are over and never going to come back and its so restrictive yet a whole lot of brilliant people think killing themselves to study this is actually a good idea. Electrical and computer engineering are the only courses I can really advise anyone to go for as they are very much relevant in the ICT sector. Embedded systems, computer hardware, robotics alongside a host of others are mostly offshoots of these fields.
Lucrative alternatives to engineering that arent as competitive are computer science, mathematics and physics. Someone intending to study civil engineering or mechanical engineering in Nigeria should go for physics. There's practically no place a mechanical or civil engineer can work in this world that someone with a degree in physics cant work.

Law: I wont say much here but if you love poverty, this is an amazing course to study. If you are from arts class, instead of law go for a degree in English. At least with a TEFL certificate and an English degree you can get good jobs teaching English in asia and latin america.

Another thing that might help is that before you study a course, go on linkedin. Create a profile, go to linkedin jobs and check specifically how many jobs exist for your course in Nigeria, Africa and globally.

Nigeria isnt funny anymore to waste time on nonsense and funny as it is, Nigeria of today is a paradise compared to the Nigeria coming so folks should help themselves.

Mehnn... Your last statement is frightening.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by CSTRR: 10:40am On Jun 30, 2021
The best courses for Nigerians are courses that don't need much human interaction but raw technical skills.

Someone that grew up all his life in aba and studied physiotherapy.

If he travels abroad, how is he going to get jobs with his heavy accent when the biggest part of the job is human interaction?

A Yoruba man that studied Economics in UI and has a thick accent.
How is he going to make it in London when you need to talk all the time?

Study Technical courses that don't need your voice or face but your hands.

Electrical/Electronics Engineering, computer Science, Nursing.

My top three, all day, everyday.

3 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Kokaine(m): 10:40am On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:
@ tensazangetsu20
what about MECHATRONICS ENGINEERING?

I think, it's the best of all.
it's the brigde connecting the three major engineering courses(mechanical+elect/elect+computer).
moreso, it is a course that merge I.T with engineering.
na mouth oooo
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by calyto: 10:40am On Jun 30, 2021
How do you people come up with these kinds of things sef?

Anyway, it is your opinion like you stated and I disagree with you end to end.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by ghettochild(m): 10:41am On Jun 30, 2021
Karleb:
Biochemistry. Chemistry.

Most people who studied these courses are doing something else.

Let me add that these courses are not easy. Hard but almost nothing to show for it after graduation.
You are absolutely right. I studied biochemistry.. it's only lucrative abroad and easy to get jobs if accompanied with a MSC degree
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Marpol2021(m): 10:42am On Jun 30, 2021
ClixMaster:
Whatever you do, AVOID Mass communication like a plague. E get why grin
CHEAP COURSE

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by seguno2: 10:42am On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:
talking from 'JAPA MENTALITY', the OP is 100% correct!

Maybe not quite 100% since he did not talk about vocational schools and technical colleges for C&G certified skills that are quicker and less expensive to have than university degree, while being more employable too in our country and outside.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by CSTRR: 10:43am On Jun 30, 2021
And the nursing that is useful is not auxillary nurse grin

Nursing that is backed with a B.sc is what is useful.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by seguno2: 10:44am On Jun 30, 2021
Karleb:
Biochemistry. Chemistry.

Most people who studied these courses are doing something else.

Let me add that these courses are not easy. Hard but almost nothing to show for it after graduation.

Is it due to our wrong emphasis on agriculture instead of manufacturing that is enhanced by research
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 10:45am On Jun 30, 2021
CSTRR:
I am an engineer.
And I have said my truth.
you only said 'your truth' but not the fact. case closed!
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by GeneralPula: 10:47am On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

sorry to say, you lack experience alot. what's your joy in instilling fear without an objective fact.
you only posted out of a subjective feelings.
by the way do you know what mechatronics really is?
if on the virtue of 'japa', i'm more versed in that!
i have an handful of friends who av japa to u.s and russia for their undergrads.
moreso, i've personally read and researched alot on this 'japa'. i'm not a tyro!

mechatronics is a top notch, believe it or not. though new in nigeria, highly recongnised overse'.
pls when next you wish to reply me, pls do so with facts and logic. i dislike engaging with emotions and sentiments.

Leave that dummy bro..

Goodluck on every step you take..
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by seguno2: 10:47am On Jun 30, 2021
CSTRR:
And the nursing that is useful is not auxillary nurse grin

Nursing that is backed with a B.sc is what is useful.

Even auxiliary nurses are useful starting point for Nigerians from poor families, which is the focus of the thread. Do you see the difference
If they are disciplined, avoid needless owambe parties and religious leaders who are money scammers, they can move on to the university for their nursing degree.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by opeey(m): 10:49am On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
A lot of Nigerian students especially those from high school still hold some archaic mentality that some courses are a sure way out of poverty. The situation of Nigeria and the future should make people dead that mentality o. If you arent from a rich family or well connected you should avoid studying some courses in Nigeria.

The following should be avoided except you are rich or well connected.

Medicine: This used to be a very sure way out of poverty. Just like 14 years back, even NYSC doctors were getting six figures. It was so good that even after NYSC and Housemanship, some doctors had bought nice cars or even built houses. The situation is totally different today. To get housemanship as a doctor na die and even when you get it you will be paid peanuts. To migrate out of the country as a doctor requires serious money which if you arent from a privileged home might be very difficult to meet. To also further as a doctor in Nigeria is very difficult as a lot of residency programs are based on who you know. Its no more about merit just as it used to be before yet every year thousands of teenagers kill themselves trying to get into medicine when they can get into other programs which are much more lucrative.

All Engineering Courses except Electrical/Computer engineering: Contrary to what a lot of people think, engineering a lot of branches of engineering are not as lucrative as people think they are. I was checking unilag's cut off the other day for my cousins and was shocked to find out that petroleum engineering has the highest cut-off point in the engineering department. That is a program that should be scrapped. Its glory days are over and never going to come back and its so restrictive yet a whole lot of brilliant people think killing themselves to study this is actually a good idea. Electrical and computer engineering are the only courses I can really advise anyone to go for as they are very much relevant in the ICT sector. Embedded systems, computer hardware, robotics alongside a host of others are mostly offshoots of these fields.
Lucrative alternatives to engineering that arent as competitive are computer science, mathematics and physics. Someone intending to study civil engineering or mechanical engineering in Nigeria should go for physics. There's practically no place a mechanical or civil engineer can work in this world that someone with a degree in physics cant work.

Law: I wont say much here but if you love poverty, this is an amazing course to study. If you are from arts class, instead of law go for a degree in English. At least with a TEFL certificate and an English degree you can get good jobs teaching English in asia and latin america.

Another thing that might help is that before you study a course, go on linkedin. Create a profile, go to linkedin jobs and check specifically how many jobs exist for your course in Nigeria, Africa and globally.

Nigeria isnt funny anymore to waste time on nonsense and funny as it is, Nigeria of today is a paradise compared to the Nigeria coming so folks should help themselves.

About the engineering aspect.. you are wrong.. how can you say physicst can work in civil engineering field

Physics can easily go with electrical and electronics engineering even computer engineering.

Civil engineering is the broadest engineering course which makes the students studying the course have advantage than any other engineering course because you can work anywhere. do you want to talk about the aspect of structures, highway, transport, water, wastewater, environmental , Geotechnics and the likes.. pls don't give intending admission seekers wrong advice or opinion.
So tell me which aspect of civil engineering that a physicst will work convinently

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by dguizman(m): 10:49am On Jun 30, 2021
Just be a guru in industrial refrigeration, and you ae good to go
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by RightToReject(m): 10:50am On Jun 30, 2021
Misinformation and misrepresentation of facts like the OP displayed here and supported by the ever-ready myopic mods who seem to take pleasure in promoting normalization of abnormalities are more potentially destructive to people than cocaine.

It's a shame most of the members of this forum passed through schools but didn't allow schools to pass through them. I am yet to see any versatile person who studied any of the mentioned courses and graduated with flying colors that is not doing well, regardless of their background. It's always a matter of strategic planning.

I pity impressionable and feeble-minded people who do consume every nonsense they read or hear.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by MrCGPA(m): 10:51am On Jun 30, 2021
Don't Dare Underrate Mechanical and Civil Engineering because of what some people you know are going through. Mechanical Engineering is Selling in Nigeria and so many Civil guys are practicing on their own (Self Employed). Comparing job vacancies of Physics with those Engineering is Weird.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Fredmatic(m): 10:51am On Jun 30, 2021
Nisiw365:

No its not. Stop arguing on what you aren't sure of.
For example, some people do robotics as option under mechanical engineering and they will have to learn all these together during the course duration

Yeah, you are right, but what that guy is trying to let you kn us that, this things are not done at the foundermental level(i.e bsc) .
So physics more open to almost all areas, that is his point
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by CSTRR: 10:51am On Jun 30, 2021
seguno2:

Even auxiliary nurses are useful starting point for Nigerians from poor families, which is the focus of the thread. Do you see the difference
If they are disciplined, avoid needless owambe parties and religious leaders who are money scammers, they can move on to the university for their nursing degree.
At the end of the day, they would still need to back it with a Bsc to make anything significant.

There are places they can't enter without a proper Bsc in Nursing.

Auxillary Nursing is a good starting point though.

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Kokaine(m): 10:53am On Jun 30, 2021
Gerrard59:
OP is very correct especially if you look at it from the aspect of fleeing the country after your graduation (which I advise young and ambitious Nigerian youths to do). Except you are very intelligent, young (max 19 years prior to enrolment) and can take advantage of scholarships, you do not have to study certain courses. Nigeria is getting poorer by the day and will become more poor in the next decade and two. As an instance, economic growth of 2010 is what the country is "enjoying" meanwhile, the population has ballooned, resources are more scarce, the major foreign earner now has more sellers and less buyers. Nigeria is not what it was when OP and I were teens, so it is pointless to study certain courses esp if you are from a poor family.

One thing is: do not study five year programs because there would be more strike actions (internal crises too: See Unical and her Engineering and Pharmacy students) than ever before as the country becomes poorer and nears insolvency. So, why spend so much time studying Civil/Mech Engineering when there is Physics? Why do Marine Engineering when you can opt for Mathematics? Some of these courses have restrictions for foreigners when you have japa'd and you will spend a lot trying to regularise. Meanwhile, your school mate who did Math has gotten a job with a tech firm but you are trying to get into the maritime industry in the US. Regarding Law, Nigeria is the last place to study same as the country is lawless. Again, unless you are very intelligent and opt for a federal university, you are better off doing Psychology or English or Chinese Mandarin.

Remember, you are trying to escape poverty not perpetuate it.

As bad as Nigeria is, it will be better than the Nigeria of 2031. Things will get far worse than today. Ten years ago, people could travel across the country with relative ease, today? They dare not. In ten years time, it will be difficult to move around your city easily.
You frighten me with your prophecies about the future Nigeria even though I know its true. You leave no sentiment of hope as you lay it quite grotesquely bare that Nigeria today is a Paradise compared to the Nigeria tomorrow.

I am an embedded systems engineer. I schooled in uniben but I learned nothing there.
After graduating, I delved into embedded systems and iots because I loved the fact that my friend Edison could create electrical solutions to problems. I loved it. I took courses online and today I can offer solutions to problems too. But do you know the greatest problem? Importation of technology. All these devices for home automation, inverters and all, we can produce them, but no one will buy my inverter over product names like bluegate, powerstar, outback, vitron and all. So the knowledge of how to create is difficult to get you money compared to the knowledge of how to install. I agree... Its all gloom for the next generation. I'm even discouraged. I just sit and receive salary rather make any move again.

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Triplerg: 10:54am On Jun 30, 2021
We attach unnecessary importance to paper qualifications. Getting out of poverty goes beyond school. The real school is what you can do outside the confines of classrooms. I graduated from the university one and half decade ago, and for more than ten years post-graduation, I couldn't hold 200k of my own. I had to look inside to forge ahead . By the special grace of God, my first millions arrived with the pandemic. Students should focus on self employment and not paid employment

3 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by GeneralPula: 10:56am On Jun 30, 2021
Even tho, I didn’t study engineering..

But i’m surprised about how people are discrediting engineering..

No engineering course is useless..

Just be unique with whatever you choose to do..

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by crystalmoon(m): 10:58am On Jun 30, 2021
?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by seguno2: 11:00am On Jun 30, 2021
CSTRR:

At the end of the day, they would still need to back it with a Bsc to make anything significant.

There are places they can't enter without a proper Bsc in Nursing.

Auxillary Nursing is a good starting point though.

Exactly……….. for poor Nigerians.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by mapet: 11:01am On Jun 30, 2021
caesymore:
Mr. Op you have no clue...

your post is misleading

undecided

His post his dumb
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 30, 2021
The entire educational system is bullshitt, the curriculum was not designed with century 21 in mind. Those courses are mostly outdated. People are still being lectured about 9 planets in the solar system, that there are only 3 states of matter etc.

Are these not crazy people?

I will say, study how to make money using 21st century tools. Learn how to build houses, learn how to build phones, learn how to develop AI applications, learn how to make money via ecommerce. Learn to make money online generally. Study health sciences, pharmaceuticals and be useful.

Stop going to school, study online. Stop going to churches or mosques, learn about God online, stop wasting your motherffucking time in classes, it is useless, even if you get a job, there is no lifetime guarantee of a good life.

Focus on Knowledge, not education.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Omishor2020(m): 11:02am On Jun 30, 2021
You included medicine?
So make a list of the courses to be studied by the indigents nah...abi the poor should kuku not be going to school again
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by uchaymart(m): 11:02am On Jun 30, 2021
Psalmspsalms:

Mr.OP, sir, I can't find piloting among your write up o. Abi to become pilot no be career again?

Can you afford being a pilot in Nigeria?
Let me help you, NO.

if your financial background is not solid,forget it...let's not talk about the connection to take you there yet
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Bluffly: 11:02am On Jun 30, 2021
The problem is not the course you studied but the individual who lacks innovation and original thinking over the course studied. Most Nigerians go to school to own a certifocate and not to impact. Lecturers teach to fill the stomach and earn a living and not to impact the society at large and those are the problems of a bigger problem

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Afe Babalola University Student Beats Up Female Lecturer (Video) / I Finally Received My 10,000 Grant From Federal Government / No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.