Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

"Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" (22963 Views)

I'll Like To Change My Tribe To Yoruba- Veteran Actor, Larry Koldsweat / Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria / Translate To Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 3:47am On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

U definitely did not do you high school education in Nigerian just like Jenifa. Trust me there is a lot of confusion about Igbo versus Ibo. I was taught in school to use Ibo, then I come on NL and people jump on me. Anytime I bang my ibo girlfriend- She shouts "Yoruba" and I shout (well I dont shout really, I kind of say it in my mind), Ibo.

See as you dey insult me. Rubbish, I'll have you know that I got my diploma from the University of Southeast Nigeria.

You dont shout? There goes the fun, right outta the window. You gotta shout it to her next time, okay? Try to pronounce the gb in Igbo.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by SEFAGO(m): 3:48am On May 09, 2011
zstranger:

^^^

Do you have an ibo name?

I think a lot of Yorubas do, yours truly included

No, I dont have an ibo name. Wanna give me one.

Most of their names are quite generic though. You just annotate Chukwu to anything. Chukwuemeka, chukwupeter, chukwustone and you are good.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 3:48am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

Yeah, Just as Yoruba reminds me of Very dark, boobyliciouse Ladies with "Lion scratches" on their faces in the name of tribal mark.  wink

Really interesting.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 3:49am On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

^^^ For one, I dont understand the hullabaloo. Personally I think Ibo sounds way cuter than Igbo.

I wish all ibo could understand that being called ibo by their brothers is a show of deep love for the ibo people.

Dont you just love being ibo. I would if I was ibo by the way. Hey, I have a quick question to ask, if I wanted to give my kid some cool ibo name what do you think would be a suitable name? Personally, I like Emeka, awesome ibo name but pretty common.

For real, you can call Igbos anything you want. Personally, I will reciprocate it. No harm intended. By the way, "Yorooba" sounds more trendy, don't you think so? Gives impression of the "roots".
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 3:51am On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

No, I dont have an ibo name. Wanna give me one.

Most of their names are quite generic though. You just annotate Chukwu to anything. Chukwuemeka, chukwupeter, chukwustone and you are good.

I think your Yorooba name should be good enough for you. It will be weird for you to have an Igbo name. My 1,2 though.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Jenifa1: 3:53am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

Yeah, Just as Yoruba reminds me of Very dark, boobyliciouse Ladies with "Lion scratches" on their faces in the name of tribal mark.  wink

lion scratches? what's that supposed to mean?
I digress,
so do you want to be called igbo or ibo? I'm talking about pronunciation here because most igbos I know say "ibo" and here you are correcting us that it's pronounced "igbo".
plz make up ur mind and let us know.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by SEFAGO(m): 3:54am On May 09, 2011
For real, you can call Igbos anything you want. Personally, I will reciprocate it. No harm intended. By the way, "Yorooba" sounds more trendy, don't you think so? Gives impression of the "roots".

Ok. Cool. Ibo.

I think your Yorooba name should be good enough for you. It will be weird for you to have an Igbo name. My 1,2 though.

Muhehe call me Yoruba, Not Yorooba, I am going to tell my mummy, call me yoruba muhehehe

grin, see how ridiculous you look. Sheesh you are boring, gonna look for trouble were its at least worth it.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 3:56am On May 09, 2011
SEFAO,

Stop messin with the new Ibo kid. It's not cool to be a bully.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 3:56am On May 09, 2011
Sorry oh, my "g" button was working there for a while.

For the record, I meant IGBO!!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 3:57am On May 09, 2011
Jenifa_:

lion scratches? what's that supposed to mean?
I digress,
so do you want to be called igbo or ibo? I'm talking about pronunciation here because  most igbos I know say "ibo" and here you are correcting us that it's pronounced "igbo".
plz make up your mind and let us know.

Nah, no insult intended. "Lion Scratches", as in "Big Tribal marks". I served in Ipokia Local Government of Ogun state. So, I know what I am talking about. I am talking out of what I saw.
It is "IGBO". With the "GB". Like "AGBO". Even if you cannot pronounce properly, write it correctly.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by zstranger: 3:59am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

Nah, no insult intended. "Lion Scratches", as in "Big Tribal marks". I served in Ipokia Local Government of Ogun state. So, I know what I am talking about. I am talking out of what I saw.
It is "IGBO". With the "GB". Like "AGBO". Even if you cannot pronounce properly, write it correctly.

She is Latvian, i told you.

She doesnt understand a lot of our naija lingo
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 4:01am On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

Ok. Cool. Ibo.

Ok, no wahala. farewell "trouble seeking" Yorooba nairalander.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by SEFAGO(m): 4:03am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

We like our women like that. Why are you complaining? I love women with huge lion scratches. Why you mad bro?

Justcash:

Ok, no wahala. farewell "trouble seeking" Yorooba nairalander.

Na, I think you might actually be fun to hang out with grin.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by THEAMAKA(f): 4:03am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

that pretty much sums it up, despite the tangents. some losers really think they're funny. . . NOT.
anyway. . .
even though people pronounce read as REED doesn't mean you must spell it like that. same thing with many other English words, as with Igbo even though many do say "Ibo" or write it or whatever. . .
this is common sense, abeg.

1 Like

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 4:05am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Sorry oh, my "g" button was working there for a while.

For the record, I meant IGBO!!

I am tempted to call you Stoopid like some Yoroobas here.  
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 4:06am On May 09, 2011
Sorry oh, my "U" button was working as "OO" for a while.

For the record, I meant YORUBAS!!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 4:07am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

I am tempted to call you Stoopid like some Yoroobas here.  

What is your problem gan sef?
We all thought this thread was a joke.

But on the real, this is an important part of the different Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Ebo variation in academic journals.

Ileke-IdI:

Maybe it's just accent.

Some Igbos would say . . . .Ibo

Yorubas would say  . . . . . . . . . . . Igbo

Hausas would say . . . . . . . . . . . . Ebos

Kanurus would say. . . . . . . . .  . . Egbos

Some SEastern groups would say. . Igbos

I dont get it sha. The many variance of Igbos (Ibos, Igbos, Ebos, Igbo, Igbos). I prefer Igbos tho. Reminds me of Igbo.Igbo is the Yoruba work for weed or grass.
Was Igbo spelled as Ibos before and the Yorubas changed it to Igbo? Maybe the gb [/b]is easier for Yorubas to say than the [b]bo.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by SEFAGO(m): 4:09am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

Sorry oh, my "U" button was working as "OO" for a while.

For the record, I meant YORUBAS!!

Na we dont mind. Yorooba if you cant spell correctly. We know its hard managing a spare parts shop, pirating playstation video games, and having time to learn how to spell at the same time.

For every book/article/journal that you can find where it is spelled Yorooba, I can give u a million were it is spelled ibo.

Why do u like being stooopid
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 4:12am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

What is your problem gan sef?
We all thought this thread was a joke.

But on the real, this is an important part of the different Igbo/Ibo/Igbo/Ebo variation in academic journals.

This thread is not a joke. Show some respect to Igbos. You are a Nigerian. You know how to pronounce and spell the name. Stop giving excuses with some foreign or Oyibo journals and show some respect to the name, just as I do for your ethnic group's name. If you don't want to, then wahala no dey. you can carry on with whatever you want to call the Igbos. I will reciprocate it. Respect is reciprocal.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by SEFAGO(m): 4:14am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-Idi hear the ibo man. Call him ibo. grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 4:16am On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

Na we dont mind. Yorooba if you cant spell correctly. We know its hard managing a spare parts shop, pirating playstation video games, and having time to learn how to spell at the same time.

For every book/article/journal that you can find where it is spelled Yorooba, I can give u a million were it is spelled ibo.

Why do u like being stooopid

I don't need journals to tell me how to Spell Yorooba. Anyway, I am too busy making money that I don't have the time to start scavenging for Yorooba in journals.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 4:17am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

This thread is not a joke. Show some respect to Igbos. You are a Nigerian. You know how to pronounce and spell the name. Stop giving excuses with some foreign or Oyibo journals and show some respect to the name, just as I do for your ethnic group's name. If you don't want to, then wahala no dey. you can carry on with whatever you want to call the Igbos. I will reciprocate it. Respect is reciprocal.

LOL Stop mistaking me for one of the enemies you made on this forum. I believe I spell "Igbo" as "Igbo" lol grin

This thread seems a bit childish. People are just pressing your button, so slow your roll.

SEFAGO:

Ileke-Idi hear the ibo man. Call him ibo. grin

I thought it was Igbo. Plz stop trying to confuse me o.
grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Jenifa1: 4:17am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

ok I see. it was meant to be a funny joke.

anyway, I think I know where the problem lays.

the spelling error is correlated to the pronounciation error IMO. so try to solve the pronouciation error (among yourselves) and the rest will fall into place.
like I said, most igbos I know call themselves ibo (in terms of pronunciation).

I also have a feeling that this has to do with some fragmentation within igbo society.
sometimes, I don't even know who's igbo and who's not. today, goodluck jonathan is claimed as igbo. tomorrow he is niger deltan.
I think you guys should figure things out among yourselves, come to a concensus and come back to us with a final decision on how you want us to pronounce your name/ identify you.

Trust me there is a lot of confusion about Igbo versus Ibo. I was taught in school to use Ibo, then I come on NL and people jump on me.

yeah I have a feeling they are confused among themselves and need to solve that first before coming to us.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 4:20am On May 09, 2011
Jenifa_:

ok I see. it was meant to be a funny joke.

anyway, I think I know where the problem lays.

the spelling error is correlated to the pronounciation error IMO. so try to solve the pronouciation error (among yourselves) and the rest will fall into place.
like I said, most igbos I know call themselves ibo (in terms of pronunciation).

I also have a feeling that this has to do with some fragmentation within igbo society.
sometimes, I don't even know who's igbo and who's not. today, goodluck jonathan is claimed as igbo. tomorrow he is niger deltan.
I think you guys should figure things out among yourselves, come to a concensus and come back to us with a final decision on how you want us to pronounce your name/ identify you.

yeah I have a feeling they are confused among themselves and need to solve that first before coming to us.

I believe so too.

I've seen many Igbos on NL with IDs such as "OmoIbo" "Iboboy" "Ibogirl" or "Iboluv".

The problem is within the Igbo community themselves. They need to str8n themselves out before they can reach out to the outsiders. Yorubas are not the only ones that have diff variation for Igbo.

Even some Jews say "Ibo".
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by SEFAGO(m): 4:22am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

I don't need journals to tell me how to Spell Yorooba. Anyway, I am too busy making money that I don't have the time to start scavenging for Yorooba in journals.

How was market? Did you sell enough spare parts? Man you ibo are good at selling spare parts no be lie. Anytime I need a tyre for my car, I always remember Uche, my spare parts dealer. Brilliant Ibo chap. Oh my God and Uche Number 2, the guy who sold all those fake DVDs to me as a kid, I miss that guy no be small. Anyways sha definitely love ibo people. But my favorite was Uche number 3, my houseboy. The guy can cook, anything you ask him.

Man Can I repeat how much I love Ibo People.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Jenifa1: 4:23am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Even some Jews say "Ibo".

girl, you're bad.  grin grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 4:24am On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO will not kill me today grin grin

Oh gosh, I feel like I'm in labor grin grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 4:25am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

LOL Stop mistaking me for one of the enemies you made on this forum. I believe I spell "Igbo" as "Igbo" lol grin

This thread seems a bit childish. People are just pressing your button, so slow your roll.
grin

Contrary to what you think, I am so cool over here. Presently with a bottle of Bacardi, relaxing beside my hotel's pool, watching my angel swim while contributing to this forum.  I am presently in Singapore from Naija election hustles. It is 11:25 am here. If you were me, will you be bothered about anything?
I am  Just used to multi-tasking, hence my urge to keep my finger busy. So don't be deceived that I am bothered one bit about illiterates.

1 Like

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Obiagu1(m): 4:28am On May 09, 2011
Jenifa_:

You didn't make sense at all. He just told you to write "Igbo" and not "Ibo". Whatever you and your imaginary Igbo friends pronounce is none of our business as a forum like this takes only "writing" not "voice".
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 4:29am On May 09, 2011
Justcash:

Contrary to what you think, I am so cool over here. Presently with a bottle of Bacardi, relaxing beside my hotel's pool, watching my angel swim while contributing to this forum.  I am presently in Singapore from Naija election hustles. It is 11:25 am here. If you were me, will you be bothered about anything?
I am  Just used to multi-tasking, hence my urge to keep my finger busy. So don't be deceived that I am bothered on bit about illiterates.

No I would not be bothered enough to create a thread. You're right, my cool swaggrasious Igbo brother ehn.  grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 4:32am On May 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

How was market? Did you sell enough spare parts? Man you ibo are good at selling spare parts no be lie. Anytime I need a tyre for my car, I always remember Uche, my spare parts dealer. Brilliant Ibo chap. Oh my God and Uche Number 2, the guy who sold all those fake DVDs to me as a kid, I miss that guy no be small. Anyways sha definitely love ibo people. But my favorite was Uche number 3, my houseboy. The guy can cook, anything you ask him.

Man Can I repeat how much I love Ibo People.

Well, you are right. Igbos are hustlers. Good or Bad. What is Yoroobas known for? Brooding about Igbos taking over the economic affairs of their states? Without Igbos, Yoroobas would be scavenging piles of rubbish for worn out products to use. Look at everything that you have on and ask who imported them. Look at your father and mother, look at everything they own, ask who brought them into the Country. Igbo import fake stuffs because Yoroobas like you are too poor to buy real stuffs. It's simple economics.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by SEFAGO(m): 4:33am On May 09, 2011
^ Na wa oo

This ibo guy get swag no be small. A whole Bacardi for himself. Chei ibo swag pass yorooba swag well well.

Justcash:

I am  Just used to multi-tasking, hence my urge to keep my finger busy. So don't be deceived that I am bothered on bit about illiterates.

Be like say my guy na big boy ooh. Hmm Naija election hustles, so you are involved in ballot box movement business. I hail thee.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Alfred Akawe-Torkula, Tor Of Tiv Is Dead / Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Ooni Ogunwusi With John Mahama In Ghana, Gets Lovely Art Gift On His Ghana Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.