Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,646 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

"Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" (22966 Views)

I'll Like To Change My Tribe To Yoruba- Veteran Actor, Larry Koldsweat / Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria / Translate To Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:29am On May 10, 2011
@OP

Well if speaking a language makes you a member of that tribe, then I guess I am a Yoruba man.  But I am not, and unlike you, I am not tribalistic and parochial in my views; of course, I will not stoop to your level by insulting all Ibos, because the problem is not your tribe, the problem is you. You are not only petty, but you are a petulant cry baby who takes himself too seriously. Tell me my brother, since when did the Ibos have Internet in the evil forest? So which evil forest do you live in? Is it Forest Ofunnafon ruled by god Ikeme[i]Scamme[/i]rFuna? Or Forest Poroporokpikpokpi ruled by god Okonyanshwo?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:29am On May 10, 2011
Justcash:

Stop biting yourself. I don't insult Yoroobas. If you really do have an evidence, present it. I am too decent to do that.
I face morons like you on a personal basis. You should feel privileged that I decide to face you at my spare times. Facing you does not mean insulting your tribe as you do to my tribe. Get some rest before you slump out of high blood pressure.

If you dont shut your gutter breathe for here. Eddiiiot.
I'll let someone else post your "senseless mistakes" since I cant be bothered.
Are Yorubas the only ones that post "Ibos"? Are they the only ones that say "Ibos"?
The North has no respect for you, they are slaughtering Southerners as we type, but it's the Yorubas that you face.
Ah ahn, what is your problem gan na? Did they born you people mad?
We let you into our lands. We accommodate you. You're successful in our lands. We dont slaughter you like pigs like the Northerners do in their land. But somehow you can never get over your fear of the Yorubas.

You are simply mad.  You can count your blessings that the Yorubas are peaceful, what the North did from 4/16 till now would have been like a walk on paradise for you.

Useless Inyamiri. Always hating on Yorubas. Ko ni da fun e ati were to bi e. nonsense.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Dawdy(m): 9:30am On May 10, 2011
We yorubas in my area dont say igbo neither did we say ibo, it is Igbo. even there is an idiom in yoruba it is said to sturbon ppl "koo to ko agidi bori bi faanu Igbo" how can you  be so adamant like Igbo's fan lol.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 9:31am On May 10, 2011
Dawdy:

We yorubas in my area dont say igbo neither did we say ibo, it is Igbo. even there is an idiom in yoruba it is said to sturbon ppl "koo to ko agidi bori bi faanu Igbo" how can you  be so adamant like Igbo's fan lol.  
Heard you dear Yorooba teacher.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:32am On May 10, 2011
ROFLMAO@ Igbo. Buhahahahahahah.

Igbo Kwenu.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by BABE3: 9:32am On May 10, 2011
Dawdy:

lol--That's one of my all-time favorite idioms! I find it really funny and thoughtful!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by THEAMAKA(f): 9:33am On May 10, 2011
lol, some people are still crying ohhhh.
besides, what is this doing on the front page? DISGUSTING.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:34am On May 10, 2011
Dawdy:

Exactly.

I guess Yorubas should start spelling it as they say it.

"Igbo".

bisiaet:

What is the issue about all these rant and blablabla spelling and mispelling saga to heat up the house again for goodness sake?

Why cant guys just for once stay out of all this stuffs of unecessary verbal confrontation on this site?

I cant really understand what is the problem of so many people are if Yoruba called "Igbo" as "Ibo" this to me is not sign of disrespect in anyway my parent are from the East based in South west many of my family and friends still pronounce "Yoruba" as "Yoruba" and the Yorubas are not angry or complaning about it or see it as sign of disrespect I dont know why my fellow Igbo man picking offence in this issue. Guys we need to understand ourselves and get it to our head that every tribe has its own way of tongue and pronounciation and let stop all these nasty sentiments.

As I often say it really baffles me all the time why we Igbo just like picking on Yoruba people at all time. Sorry to say this, these people has done us no wrong infact they should be our best friend because they are the most accomodating tribe in the whole Nigeria and these people are the only tribe a stranger from other tribe could live among them and they will not complain or treated you as stranger this is just the honest truth I know many will be upset by this fact BUT to me they are just the best tribe aside my own tribe Igbo that I can relate with without any issue or problem sometime I do tell my Igbo friends complaning about this people who has NOT done us any evil is this not sign of complexity on our side?, because to me these people are good to be honest Iam proud to say this about the Yoruba's. No apology for all I said and please no one should get offended as well its just a fact. God bless.

E go better for you my sister.

Continue enjoying the SW. WE welcome and we accommodate.

You're family.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 9:35am On May 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

If you dont shut your gutter breathe for here. Eddiiiot.
I'll let someone else post your "senseless mistakes" since I cant be bothered.
Are Yorubas the only ones that post "Ibos"? Are they the only ones that say "Ibos"?
The North has no respect for you, they are slaughtering Southerners as we type, but it's the Yorubas that you face.
Ah ahn, what is your problem gan na? Did they born you people mad?
We let you into our lands. We accommodate you. You're successful in our lands. We dont slaughter you like pigs like the Northerners do in their land. But somehow you can never get over your fear of the Yorubas.

You are simply mad.  You can count your blessings that the Yorubas are peaceful, what the North did from 4/16 till now would have been like a walk on paradise for you.

Useless Inyamiri. Always hating on Yorubas. Ko ni da fun e ati were to bi e. nonsense.

Hahahahahahaha! You go old o! Imagine the amount of hatred you exhale. You need some help. I'll leave you before they say na me kill you. Agadi nwanyi Yoruba mmuo. LMAO!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by chamber2(m): 9:36am On May 10, 2011
Start by writing a letter(s) to WAEC, NECO, JAMB---e.t.c, that a national correction needs to be made! Tell them to start deducting huge marks from students that write "IBO" instead of "IGBO" in their exams!

And you will think you are smart.Yorooobas always complicate issues.What is wrong in saying,''i used to be wrongly called Ibo,I am Igbo instead?''
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:36am On May 10, 2011
THE AMAKA:

lol, some people are still crying ohhhh.
besides, what is this doing on the front page? DISGUSTING.

Elections are over.It's now time for fighting over unnecessary issue.ibo,Igbo,what's the difference ?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:37am On May 10, 2011
Justcash:

Hahahahahahaha! You go old o! Imagine the amount of hatred you excel. You need some help. I'll leave you before they say na me kill you. Agadi nwanyi Yoruba mmuo. LMAO!

Not the same amount as yours. Hope to never get to that level.  shocked shocked
I fear no one. Its simply the fear of "irrelevant" Yorubas that starts threads like this.
I'm not like your Igbo brothers that create multiple IDs all for the Yorubas cool But una try sha, you even pretend t me other tribes to make it seems as tho we're evil  grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 9:37am On May 10, 2011
Igbo Kwenu!!! Kwenu!!!! Kwezuo nu!!!! Anyi ga ebi ruo mgbe ebi ebi. See haters. LMAO!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by THEAMAKA(f): 9:40am On May 10, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Elections are over.It's now time for fighting over unnecessary issue.ibo,Igbo,what's the difference ?
it is offensive if you know the correct way to spell it, but you choose to write otherwise.
but then again, why is everyone in here flogging a dead horse? why are some people losing their heads? better yet, why is this even on the front page? many people that DON'T know anything about Nigeria, will probably assume that Nigeria is like Nairaland. abeg, this site no good oooo.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:40am On May 10, 2011
Justcash:

Igbo Kwenu!!! Kwenu!!!! Kwezuo nu!!!! Anyi ga ebi ruo mgbe ebi ebi. See haters. LMAO!
bisiaet:

What is the issue about all these rant and blablabla spelling and mispelling saga to heat up the house again for goodness sake?

Why cant guys just for once stay out of all this stuffs of unecessary verbal confrontation on this site?

I cant really understand what is the problem of so many people are if Yoruba called "Igbo" as "Ibo" this to me is not sign of disrespect in anyway my parent are from the East based in South west many of my family and friends still pronounce "Yoruba" as "Yoruba" and the Yorubas are not angry or complaning about it or see it as sign of disrespect I dont know why my fellow Igbo man picking offence in this issue. Guys we need to understand ourselves and get it to our head that every tribe has its own way of tongue and pronounciation and let stop all these nasty sentiments.

As I often say it really baffles me all the time why we Igbo just like picking on Yoruba people at all time. Sorry to say this, these people has done us no wrong infact they should be our best friend because they are the most accomodating tribe in the whole Nigeria and these people are the only tribe a stranger from other tribe could live among them and they will not complain or treated you as stranger this is just the honest truth I know many will be upset by this fact BUT to me they are just the best tribe aside my own tribe Igbo that I can relate with without any issue or problem sometime I do tell my Igbo friends complaning about this people who has NOT done us any evil is this not sign of complexity on our side?, because to me these people are good to be honest Iam proud to say this about the Yoruba's. No apology for all I said and please no one should get offended as well its just a fact. God bless.

Your Igbo sis/bro must also be hating.

Almost every Igbo that comes on NL says the same thing, until they're changed by Yoruba-Hating Igbos.   embarassed
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:43am On May 10, 2011
[/quote]

I'm a practical man. . .I write or pronouce what I hear.It's called ''IBO'' everywhere and you know that too.[quote author=THE AMAKA link=topic=662866.msg8290508#msg8290508 date=1305016802]
it is offensive if you know the correct way to spell it, but you choose to write otherwise.
but then again, why is everyone in here flogging a dead horse? why are some people losing their heads? better yet, why is this even on the front page? many people that DON'T know anything about Nigeria, will probably assume that Nigeria is like Nairaland. abeg, this site no good oooo.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by chamber2(m): 9:44am On May 10, 2011

Almost every Igbo that comes on NL says the same thing, until they're changed by Yoruba-Hating Igbos.

No one hates yoroobas, but their stupidity is irritating shocked
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 9:45am On May 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Your Igbo sis/bro must also be hating.

Almost every[b] Igbo[/b] that comes on NL says the same thing, until they're changed by Yoruba-Hating Igbos.   embarassed

Now, you have behaved like a literate Yoruba Lady. Stop exhibiting illiteracy and tout like attitude. Did your hand bend after you wrote "Igbo"? Contrary to your opinion, I gat no problem with you. Just enjoying myself.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by BABE3: 9:47am On May 10, 2011
chamber2:

And you will think you are smart.Yorooobas always complicate issues.What is wrong in saying,''i used to be wrongly called Ibo,I am Igbo instead?''

lol--- Yh' I'm smart! It's ok if you want a national change darling. I've already given you a solution.

Seriously though, I personally, don't write/type "Ibo" instead of "Igbo" (maybe I have, a few times on this thread-- but I was just tryna pass a point across).  I pronounce is at ibo, though (like everyone else).

So technically, I'm not guilty of "the crime". And I don't have a problem with Igbo people. My ex-boyfriend is igbo, so-- smiley

The problem I have with this thread is --It's a waste of time! Nobody is gonna listen to you guyz, Trust me! So, why bother. And the unfortunate thing is that in the process, tribal insults and all that are being thrown around.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 9:47am On May 10, 2011
~Bluetooth:

I'm a practical man. . .I write or pronouce what I hear.It's called ''IBO'' everywhere and you know that too.

Bluetooth, for real, No one is stopping you. If you insist on calling us "Ibos", no wahala. As for me, I will call you Yorooba. If you have no problem with that, then we are good. No shaking.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:48am On May 10, 2011
Justcash:

Now, you have behaved like a literate Yoruba Lady. Stop exhibiting illiteracy and tout like attitude. Did you hand bend after you wrote "Igbo"? Contrary to your opinion, I gat no problem with you. Just enjoying myself.

I've always typed Igbo on NL.

You and your ilks are the ones that prefer "Yoruba" "yeribas" yorbas" and what not. Too bad we didnt care enough to cry about it as you did.

Even in historical journals and international news articles, sometimes its spelled as "Igbos". Even Igbos spell it as "Ibos". But noooooo, it's the Yorubas that you start crying to.

You must be dying from some sort of inferiority complex.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:50am On May 10, 2011
These are the widely accepted spelling/pronunciations:

Igbo
Igbo
Ibo
Ebo
Eboh

Depending on the accent.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:51am On May 10, 2011
Why is isn't the OP mad at his fellow brothers and sisters who say IBO? Instead he is picking on the amiable and genial Yoruba folks.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by chamber2(m): 9:52am On May 10, 2011

Seriously though, I personally, don't write/type "Ibo" instead of "Igbo"

Now you are talking.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:52am On May 10, 2011
Justcash:

Bluetooth, for real, No one is stopping you. If you insist on calling us "Ibos", no wahala. As for me, I will call you Yorooba. If you have no problem with that, then we are good. No shaking.

Nothing can stop me from writing or calling ''IBO'' and you may call yoruba anything you like.So stop the bytching !
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 9:54am On May 10, 2011
On a very completely unrelated and thread-derailing news:

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver have separated after 25 years! They tried sha. At least, their marriage lived longer than Biafra.  grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by BABE3: 9:55am On May 10, 2011
chamber2:

Now you are talking.

Chamber2, what exactly is the problem though? The fact that people type "Ibo" or the fact that people pronounce it as "ibo"? Because if it's the latter, then the whole of Nigeria is guilty as charged. So, why attacking Yorubas then?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Justcash(m): 9:56am On May 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

These are the widely accepted spelling/pronunciations:

Igbo
Igbo
Ibo
Ebo
Eboh

Depending on the accent.

ACCENT you said. Call it the way you want. Write it correctly. That the Chinese people call English, "Engrish" does not stop them from writing it as English.

Ileke-IdI:

I've always typed Igbo on NL.

You and your ilks are the ones that prefer "Yoruba" "yeribas" yorbas" and what not. Too bad we didnt care enough to cry about it as you did.

Even in historical journals and international news articles, sometimes its spelled as "Igbos". Even Igbos spell it as "Ibos". But noooooo, it's the Yorubas that you start crying to.

You must be dying from some sort of inferiority complex.
First of all, you are Nigerian. Foreigners can call Igbos wrongly, and it will be understandable. But a full grown Naija babe no go yarn say she no know say na "Igbo". Ok, let's say that you didn't know. I have told you now. Still, I am not forcing you o! I am just telling you the correct way of writing it. The only thing is that, I have decided to call your ethnic group differently since I want you to call mine correctly. For real, that isn't supposed to be a problem. If I see an Igboman calling Igbo "Ibo", I will call him an Ibo man. In Igboland, Ibo men are efulefus (Lost Igbo sons that know nothing about their ethnic group). No Igboman that knows hia ethnic group well will call us Ibos.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 10:00am On May 10, 2011
Justcash:

ACCENT you said. Call it the way you want. Write it correctly. That the Chinese people call English, "Engrish" does not stop them from writing it as English.
First of all, you are Nigerian. Foreigners can call Igbos wrongly, and it will be understandable. But a full grown Naija babe no go yarn say she no know say na "Igbo". Ok, let's say that you didn't know. I have told you now. Still, I am not forcing you o! I am just telling you the correct way of writing it. The only thing is that, I have decided to call your ethnic group differently since I want you to call mine correctly. For real, that isn't supposed to be a problem. If I see an Igboman calling Igbo "Ibo", I will call him an Ibo man. In Igboland, Ibo men are efulefus (Lost Igbo sons that know nothing about their tribe)

The thing pain you wella wella sha.

Someone once said "It's not wise to show your enemies your weakness" grin

Quick way to give you a heartattck; Some should suddenly shout "Yoruba" out of nowhere. grin grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 10:02am On May 10, 2011
@OP

Abeg shut up. This is nairaland and not Iboland. Just take your Ibo shiit and shove it up your useless anus. Animanu! Seriously, why do you sound like a man whose testicles have been cut off? All because of a freaking letter? Chei, my eyes don see tire for this obodo nairaland.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by chamber2(m): 10:02am On May 10, 2011
what exactly is the problem though? The fact that people type "Ibo" or the fact that people pronounce it as "ibo"? Because if it's the latter, then the whole of Nigeria is guilty as charged. So, why attacking Yorubas then?

I think both. The later can be pardoned though due to pronunciation problem.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by BABE3: 10:03am On May 10, 2011
LMAO--- omo to dun!!! E don do! wink Let's forgive them. Jo, pls. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Alfred Akawe-Torkula, Tor Of Tiv Is Dead / Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Ooni Ogunwusi With John Mahama In Ghana, Gets Lovely Art Gift On His Ghana Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.