Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

"Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" (22961 Views)

I'll Like To Change My Tribe To Yoruba- Veteran Actor, Larry Koldsweat / Igbo Is The Most Popular Ethnic Group Outside Nigeria / Translate To Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:20am On May 10, 2011
chamber2:

I commend the poster for his effort and observation. I am Igbo but seem not to know the etymology of the word ''ibo''.I often make the mistake of saying ''Ibo'' instead of Igbo. It is good to make this correction to avoid it being a generational mistake. People are identified by their names, and when you lose your name you lose your identity.I pronounce and write both Hausa and Yoruba correctly though.

Chei, so if everyone starts to call them IBO(something which most already do), then they will lose their identity.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:21am On May 10, 2011
Mynd_44:

Another silly thread by another joless nairalander with too much bandwidth on his hands

and the silly thread made the frontpage ! ? shocked shocked Did an ibo moderator did that ? grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by chamber2(m): 7:24am On May 10, 2011
Chei, so if everyone starts to call them IBO(something which most already do), then they will lose their identity.

People are known and often identified by their names. How would you feel if you are called by some Else's name?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:25am On May 10, 2011
chamber2:

It's not about what people say rather what people feel.

what do you expect  a yoruba or other nationalities to do when it's already known to them that ibos are ibo even the so called ibos too still prefer to use the word ''ibo''
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by chamber2(m): 7:25am On May 10, 2011
and the silly thread made the frontpage

what is silly about this thread?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by 4peace(m): 7:26am On May 10, 2011
~Bluetooth:

and the silly thread made the frontpage ! ? shocked shocked Did an ibo moderator did that ? grin
Imagine it made it to twitter and facebook
Crap
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by chamber2(m): 7:27am On May 10, 2011
[b]what do you expect  a yoruba or other nationalities to do [/b]when it's already known to them that ibos are ibo even the so called ibos too still prefer to use the word ''ibo''

We expect them to know that we are Igbos and not Ibos.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:28am On May 10, 2011
chamber2:

People are known and often identified by their names. How would you feel if you are called by some Else's name?

Stop this your identity crap.Nigerians call any whiteman ''oyinbo''.does that change the identity of a whiteman whether european or american ?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by blackmale(m): 7:30am On May 10, 2011
@ chamber, for real this thread doesnt make sense, he doesnt need to be bothered @ al
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:32am On May 10, 2011
chamber2:

We expect them to know that we are Igbos and not Ibos.

You guys really need to go out there and start your public campaign that it's not ibo anymore btw how did the word ''IBO'' come into existence when it is actually not ibo ?
chamber2:

what is silly about this thread?

Cuz it makes no sense at all.fruitless effort to me.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by BABE3: 7:34am On May 10, 2011
**smh***

Won fe'te le, won n pa lapalapa!

Ibo ko, Indian hemp ni!
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by blackmale(m): 7:35am On May 10, 2011
@ bluethooth, your right bro,,,,,,
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:37am On May 10, 2011
BABE!:

**smh***

Ibo ko, Indian hemp ni!

India hemp ke ? Do you mean bush or what ?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by blackmale(m): 7:38am On May 10, 2011
@ babe what does that mean?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by dayokanu(m): 7:39am On May 10, 2011
BABE!:

**smh***

Ibo ko, Indian hemp ni!

Ta lo ko e ni owe Yoruba? Ori e wa nibe, Ori e fokasibe.

Iwo ki se omo ti o ma n fi owo osi juwe ile babe re, bi awon omo ti won ma n ipa ji baba won lori eni.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by macjive01: 7:39am On May 10, 2011
Blue tooth stop displaying your buffoonery Here, een if the whole world called it ibo because that was what they tot was the spelling it still doesn't and wudnt mk it right. If u must mention Igbo u hv an obligation to say/spell it right.

Most blacks wud pronounce the word ask as ax, does it then mk it right ?

No doubt a lot of Igbos also mk the mistake or even don't know the right spelling, ( including our kobojunkie) mysef I only knew the right one when I read the book equinox - a story of an Igbo slave.

U now know the right one. U hv no excus to write igbo as ibo again.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by BABE3: 7:40am On May 10, 2011
~Bluetooth:

India hemp ke ? Do you mean bush or what ?

Indian Hemp asin, Marijuana asin Weed asin Coke! smiley

Igbo--means a bunch of stuffs in Yoruba! Indian Hemp is one of those things.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:42am On May 10, 2011
chamber2:

But no one else is called IBO except the Ibos. LOL. If my name is Okpoporiopo and I'm called John, I wouldn't answer because it is not my name. However, we all, including so many IBOs, have been using that term for so long that it has stuck. If I offered $10million to each IBO person on this thread, would the OP and others refuse to accept it? Of course not. grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:43am On May 10, 2011
macjive01:

Blue tooth stop displaying your buffoonery Here, een if the whole world called it ibo because that was what tot was the spelling doesn't an wudnt mk it right. If u must mention Igbo u hv an obligation to say it right.

Most blacks wud pronounce the word ask as ax, does it then mk it right ?

No doubt a lot of Igbos also mk the mistake or even don't know the right spelling, ( including our kobojunkie) mysef I only knew the right one when I read the book equinox - a story of an Igbo slave.

U now know the right one. U hv no excus to write igbo as ibo again.

Sorry to burst your bubble.I'm a very very slow learner,so you are going to wait for a while before I change my mind.So let it be IBO all the way . grin grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by chamber2(m): 7:44am On May 10, 2011

Igbo--means a bunch of stuffs in Yoruba! Indian Hemp is one of those things.

And what will you gain by derailing an important thread like this?It is obvious that people make the mistake of saying ''ibo'' rather than Igbo, but must we allow it to continue?

Now learn it, it's Igbo and not Ibo.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by BABE3: 7:45am On May 10, 2011
blackmale:

@ babe what does that mean?

What I'm saying is : There are bigger issues to be delt with. Who gives a flying 4uck if Igbo is mispelt/mispronounced as Ibo? NO-ONE! --[s] Except the OP and some other jobless people on here.[/s]  smiley
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by N101: 7:45am On May 10, 2011
And here we see glaring examples of why nothing in Nigeria will change.  

If some of you continue to show your ignorance and disregard for others, don't be surprised in the real world when you get 419ed.  Respect begets respect, and even if it doesn't, never repay evil with evil.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:46am On May 10, 2011
chamber2:

And what will you gain by derailing an important thread like this?It is obvious that people make the mistake of saying ''ibo'' rather than Igbo, but must we allow it to continue?

Mba, we won't. We prefer Ibo.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.
Uncle Shakespeare.
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by chamber2(m): 7:47am On May 10, 2011
What I'm saying is : There are bigger issues to be delt with.

What other issue can be bigger than this?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by BABE3: 7:47am On May 10, 2011
chamber2:

I no gree! Now Sue me!  tongue  wink
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by BABE3: 7:50am On May 10, 2011
dayokanu:

Ta lo ko e ni owe Yoruba? Ori e wa nibe, Ori e fokasibe.

Iwo ki se omo ti o ma n fi owo osi juwe ile babe re, bi awon omo ti won ma n ipa ji baba won lori eni.

Ori mi o Fokasibe o! My head is intact! lol **jokes**

Yh, I'm a Conc. Yoruba Babe! wink

chamber2:

What other issue can be bigger than this?

What other issues CAN'T be bigger than this!?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:50am On May 10, 2011
[*Speaking pidgin with a Yorooba accent]
Babe, see us see trouble o, this Ibo boys don yari patapata for us.

E oti poosi, elo posi wa. grin
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by chamber2(m): 7:51am On May 10, 2011

What other issues CAN'T be bigger than this!?

Yorubas posting senseless comments
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by BABE3: 7:53am On May 10, 2011
omo_to_dun:

[*Speaking pidgin with a Yorooba accent]
Babe, see us see trouble o, this Ibo boys don yari patapata for us.

E oti poosi, elo posi wa. grin

Yari ke? That "Agidi" is for their own pocket o! Strong head pass strong head! wink

I swear mehn! Hundred won o to be! lol
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:55am On May 10, 2011
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 7:56am On May 10, 2011
chamber2:

Yorubas posting senseless comments

You need to let go of your fear.have you forgotten that the hausas call ibos ''yanmirin'' ?
Re: "Igbo" is to "Yoruba". "Ibo" is to "Yorooba" by Nobody: 8:02am On May 10, 2011
Why do Yoruba people cook in front of their house and wash plates there even if they live in a 20 bedroom mansion ?

Ibos happen to be the most comfortable set of Nigerians, why do they love money more than their mothers ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Alfred Akawe-Torkula, Tor Of Tiv Is Dead / Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Ooni Ogunwusi With John Mahama In Ghana, Gets Lovely Art Gift On His Ghana Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.