Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,538 members, 7,812,667 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:14 PM

My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. (29127 Views)

What Happens To Those Who Did Evil To Fulfill The Scriptures ? / My Confusion About The Claims of Islam / Why Don't Pastors Preach About PAUPER'S TITHE As Prescribed By Scriptures? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by Igbojihadist: 3:07pm On Jul 01, 2021
xynerise:
No. 3

The world will not come to an end until the very last person hears about the Kingdom of God
what of our fore-fathers that did not hear anything before they died what is their fate now?

8 Likes

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by adeshna: 3:08pm On Jul 01, 2021
TripleOh7:
Keep asking these questions.

You are getting there.

You'll realize that the pictures of the Christian God and the Muslim God are both false.

I don't get you here. What do you mean by pictures of both God are different?

And there isn't different God, there is one. Our concept of God is just different
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by Techguy96(m): 3:08pm On Jul 01, 2021
Carchoice:
I’ll add this to it.

“A deliberate error is not a mistake” hence, humans are not mistakes, from what you said in your initial post.

I'm a different person, I just ask for examples to mistake or human errors, u two are arguing about
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by KNOWMORE56: 3:08pm On Jul 01, 2021
udoji2021:
I have been thinking about this lately and decide to share it here. Don't get me fellas, I'm a Christian and believe in God and his son Jesus Christ

BUT

It is believe that God created the world and knows what happened before, what is happening presently and what will happen later till the end of time. This brings me question on why he allowed Satan to decieve man, why was he also angry since He knew beforehand of what will happen? Then the consequent punishment, was it really justified?

The most confusing part to me now is life after death. I personally believe that there is heaven and hell right from my childhood days until one guy (Jehovah witness) told me that there is nothing like hell, he went on that even heaven is for a specific number of choose people and not for everyone, above all, he said that when one dies, your own is finished and you are not gonna go anywhere. Simply put, your body and spirit will die.

I nearly insulted him for spewing such rubbish but many years after, I'm beginning to think think twice about this issue.
Now, imagine suffering in this life for all the days of your life only to meet death (body and spirit),

My question is;

1) why not just enjoy your life even if it means doing bad things to enjoy life?
If you can't enjoy life, why not kill yourself and rest to avoid the sufferings?

2) Even if there is life after death, what if there is no suffering cos God may decide to give everyone peace after death.

3) Those that didn't hear anything about God, what is their fate?

4) which of the scriptures is to be trusted?

May God forgive my ignorance if what I just wrote is bad and punishable.

Somebody had tried all things, tested all things and put this down for whoever cares:

*. Ecclesiastes 1:17 "KJV:And I GAVE MY HEART TO KNOW WISDOM, AND TO KNOW MADNESS AND FOLLY: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit."

*. Ecclesiastes 2:1 "I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth, therefore ENJOY PLEASURE: and, behold, THIS ALSO IS VANITY.
KJV:I said of LAUGHTER, It IS MAD: and of mirth, What doeth it?
KJV:I sought in mine heart to GIVE MYSELF UNTO WINE, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, TILL I MIGHT SEE WHAT WAS THAT GOOD FOR THE SONS OF MEN, which they should do under the heaven"

*. Ecclesiastes 12:13 "KJV: LET US HEAR THE CONCLUSION OF THE WHOLE MATTER: FEAR GOD, AND KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: for this is the whole duty of man."

go forward, trusting the Lord, eventually you will win.

My Master console you with the below:

*. John 14:27 "KJV:Peace I leave with you, MY PEACE I GIVE UNTO YOU: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. LET NOT YOUR HEART BE TROUBLED, neither let it be afraid."

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by joshuaudom(m): 3:10pm On Jul 01, 2021
Hmmm
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by BnQoyyim(m): 3:10pm On Jul 01, 2021
udoji2021:
I have been thinking about this lately and decide to share it here. Don't get me fellas, I'm a Christian and believe in God and his son Jesus Christ

BUT

It is believe that God created the world and knows what happened before, what is happening presently and what will happen later till the end of time. This brings me question on why he allowed Satan to decieve man, why was he also angry since He knew beforehand of what will happen? Then the consequent punishment, was it really justified?

The most confusing part to me now is life after death. I personally believe that there is heaven and hell right from my childhood days until one guy (Jehovah witness) told me that there is nothing like hell, he went on that even heaven is for a specific number of choose people and not for everyone, above all, he said that when one dies, your own is finished and you are not gonna go anywhere. Simply put, your body and spirit will die.

I nearly insulted him for spewing such rubbish but many years after, I'm beginning to think think twice about this issue.
Now, imagine suffering in this life for all the days of your life only to meet death (body and spirit),

My question is;

1) why not just enjoy your life even if it means doing bad things to enjoy life?
If you can't enjoy life, why not kill yourself and rest to avoid the sufferings?

2) Even if there is life after death, what if there is no suffering cos God may decide to give everyone peace after death.

I have a keen interest in your notion and assertion, kindly mail me on :

dproviderservant15@gmail.com
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 01, 2021
adeshna:

I don't get you here. What do you mean by pictures of both God are different?

And there isn't different God, there is one. Our concept of God is just different

Once you understand that the concept of God that is being pushed by both religions is highly fictitious, then you'll begin to look inwards for the true answers to these questions.

Christianity embodies a lot of contradictions in it's teaching that a thinking person can't help but notice. Same with Islam.

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by ejimatic: 3:12pm On Jul 01, 2021
udoji2021:

BUT

My question is;

. I have sent a message to you already.We will talk more on this and share some Bible based books with you.Your questions are reasonable,. Permit me to say briefly here on each question 1 You can enjoy your life even now but not with a bad thing because you will answer for the way you live your life at the end. If you suffer don't kill yourself because life is sacred .Man's suffering is temporary. 2. The Bible makes it clear that the righteous will enjoy special blessings from God while the wivked will be destroyed.3 God knows some people may not hear anything about him before the judgment day He will take this into consideration .4 Bible is one though with many translations in order to make it widlwy circulated.However it was written in Aramaic Hebrew and Greek .If there is confusion in a scripture check how it is rendered in the original text. Read the following scriptures:. ICor 10 :13. Rev 21 3 to 5. Psalms 37 vrs 29. Proverb 2 vrs 21 to 23 Roman 14 vrs 9
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by Emmypure: 3:12pm On Jul 01, 2021
Righteousness where are you
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by Mrquote: 3:12pm On Jul 01, 2021
Workch:
The Christian concept of a god has failed all test and if everyone should be sincere, we know he doesn’t exist. They are just trying hard to hold on to the lies in the stories by concocting more lies.

People will always feel threatened when you tell them their god doesn’t exist even when you present overwhelming evidence. That’s how dogmatism work.

The Christian description of a god is laughable, illogical, ridiculous and overwhelmingly irrational. It doesn’t agree with anything in reality.
You talk about Christian what about other religion, that have the same similar satanic projection?

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by venabili: 3:13pm On Jul 01, 2021
Workch:
The Christian concept of a god has failed all test and if everyone should be sincere, we know he doesn’t exist. They are just trying hard to hold on to the lies in the stories by concocting more lies.

People will always feel threatened when you tell them their god doesn’t exist even when you present overwhelming evidence. That’s how dogmatism work.

The Christian description of a god is laughable, illogical, ridiculous and overwhelmingly irrational. It doesn’t agree with anything in reality.

As a highly scientific mind i would have agreed with you. Especially since i am almost certain that a day will come when life will be found in places other than earth. And it will make mockery of most religious belief.

I am however handicapped by being a black man. I have seen my kin do things that transcends the realm of science. There does exist african magic that is unexplainable by current scientific evidence. And by this, i do not mean palor tricks. If their objectives were achieved by some means of the spiritual realm, then the concept of God is not a nullity. Whether He is the Christian. Muslim, Jewish or Hindu god however is beyond me.

3 Likes

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by ephraim18(m): 3:14pm On Jul 01, 2021
There are things ur meant not border ur brain to think because thinking of them or trying to know would give u a serious headach... Even without been a Christian or Muslim or attached to any religious movement... U as living being ought to understand that there's a living God... Who created heaven and earth... And there's a place one go one he/she dies... Take nature for instance... Theres time foe everything... Don't allow urself to be deceived by anyone in the name of religion... Just follow ur good conscience... There are things u cannot know no matter how hard u try... Rather u become more confused...

3 Likes

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by melexchi(m): 3:15pm On Jul 01, 2021
i;m confused too, 1 part of the bible said after death judgement while another part said when someone dies he/she is in a deep sleep till rapture now I'm confused, Christians talking about making heaven but bible said there shall be new heaven and new earth so who will inherit the new earth when everyone's goal is heaven, well i believe in living a humble and belive in Jesus
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by saintmm(m): 3:16pm On Jul 01, 2021
Sincerely, let me assume your write up op on facevalue that you want to know.
It's really obvious that you have grown up in an environment with a particular religion; this time Christianity and a particular doctrine of a church and had never known God.
Let me be sincere with you, you can't know God through what people say, neither can you know him through human knowledge.
But you can know him if you are really sincere in your heart only through prayer and personal thirst for truth study of the Bible. This is the prerequisite for personal encounter with God, he will reveal himself to you, you will know and all your questions and confusion will be sincerely and realistically addressed.
If you need guide WhatsApp me; oh;8;oh;6;5;1;5;7;6;8;9;.

I rise
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by psucc(m): 3:17pm On Jul 01, 2021
udoji2021:

My question is;

I will respond to your questions one by one.

Just let finish what I have at hand.

Question 1: The Scripture already le you have your way. Ecclesiastes 11v9 "Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment."

Rev. 21v11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. 12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
2. God had said it and will he not do it?
Matthew 10v28 "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

3. For those who did not hear the Gospel, themselves also had the spirit which enabled them to lead a goodly life. They did judgment. Even when they did not know much about God Acts 17v23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

4. Search the Scriptures. John 5v39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Test the spirit:
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 01, 2021
Romans 1:18-23

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

3 Likes

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by ultimateGreen: 3:19pm On Jul 01, 2021
Straight answer to this questions:

1) Does God know the past? Yes! God knows the past because He created the universe and he was there in the past.

2) Does God know the present? Yes! God knows the present because He is here in the present and all over the present!

3) Does God know the future? No! God does not know the future! that is why he did not foresee Adam and Eve disobedience, Lucifer's rebellion etc. But he has power over future because of his omnipotency and He can predict tomorrow because of His wisdom but He gives all creatures freewill and will never deny or impose His will on them because of His benevolence...

I think this gives you more picture about who God is really is. We have to know God before we can serve him right but many people don't know God... Bible never say or portrait God as knowing future... Read your Bible!!!

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by Eriokanmi: 3:19pm On Jul 01, 2021
Workch:

Personalise whatever you're saying . You may have failed due to your unbelief and perverse ways. Many ignorant people like you don't even believe one could hear God speak like when a speaker is placed by yourself, hearing Him clearly...they never believe. Several of your type don't even believe there's ancestral war which you must fight to finish before you can excel in life, though not many people do encounter this. Some would follow same path with you and make it while you're still struggling to put food at your desk...if you seek the face of God things will be alright.

Here's just a little story on my experience and encounter work God.

While serving in one of the south-south states years back, I met one girl at mammy Market in whom I suddenly developed interest she came to help her sister sell food. The day we left camp i took her contact address. On getting to my PPA after settling down, I wrote to her. Nothing like GSM back then. Econetwireless was launched same week we started our 3-week orientation.
This girl visited me and we had sexx. . This girl was a virgin as well. She told me but I found it hard to believe until I struggled to enter and she was screaming. Forcefully I gained entry as I was pulling g out, my stuff was soaked in blood. The following day, she left. I bade her good bye and that was the last time I ever saw her.

A few months after my meeting her, I started falling ill strangely. I went for all manners of test, nothing serious was found. I was only diagnosed with malaria and mild typhoid so I was asked to go get a drug called alphan. It was a very powerful antimalarial which just came out that time. I took it with antibiotics prescribed, I was OK for a while after which I became sick again. I didn't enjoy the last phase of my nysc at all.

On completion, I travelled back home, now started job hunting . All the places where I had written tests and attended interviews wouldn't employ me, they'd say I did well and they'd contact me...but they won't. I remember a day MTN was to open ibadan office at ring Road. I applied even called some people's attention to it...i applied as security officer just because they said they'd give us a handset and the salary was manageable. Halogen was the company who recruited security personnel for them. Those whom I introduced the job to was employed except me. Then I knew I had a problem. My aunt took me to a church in oke ado( name withheld) on seeing the man. He asked me, how many girls did you date and I said a few. She said there's a particular one amongst them who sat on my glory because I made her break her vow. He said I had blood covenant with her and I said I didn't cut my finger with any blade for any girl to suck my blood mixed with hers. He said no, I had sexx with and disvirgined her and she had made a covenant in her association that whoever disvirgined her would be her husband but as it didn't happen, she decided to punish me by sitting on my glory.

The pastor said unless the covenant was broken even if they're plucking money from the tree I'd not see one to pluck. He said I should go into 3 days fasting and prayer with strong prayer points. On the 3rd day I went to see a friend nearby . I broke the fast in his house with beans...I still remember this. Shortly after that, we started watching a collection of American pop music on TV. As the man said I should see him on the 3rd day, I paid a visit. He said I should go and repeat the 3rd one, because I went to watch a worldly music which spoilt the 3rd prayer instead of listening to a gospel song . May God punish me if am lying with this. I was shocked. I went back when I finished and he prayed for me, that soon I'd see the hands of God and truly barely 3 weeks later, the company I applied to since March for a job in Lagos now contacted me in September same year. They told their staff to bring the Invitation letter to me in ibadan and he must not leave until I acknowledged it. May God strike me and may He punish me if this is also a lie...amen!
I went to see an uncle operating a video club because I was always bored staying at home. The staff of the company came and they started looking for me. In short we met and I apologised to him, that I couldn't remember ever applying sef because I had applied for over 200 jobs, handwritten, via emails, drop off, walk-in, by post etc, with no luck. I had finished all my nysc savings on job postings. In short that was the turning point in my life career and journey cos I got the job. One day my boss called me and said, this man I didn't know what happened, I just kept your resume in my pending file for no reason. You ought to have been employed alongside the first batch. God punish me if this is also a lie. One year after employment, I travelled to America.

In summary, in life .man is the architect of his fortune and misfortune. We are not perfect though. With prayer and faith in God we will definitely overcome.

OP, please seek God's face God still answers prayers and you'd have cause to laugh, believe.

...and to those homosapiens evolution believers , you're in a serious bondage and being deceived by the devil. Taste God and you'd wish you had known Him earlier. God is real, knowing God is super sweet cos I'm a living witness.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by rapheal5(m): 3:19pm On Jul 01, 2021
udoji2021:

BUT

My question is;

....There's GOD who created everything both living and non living things, God gave us the right to keep seeking knowledge and I believe whatever we need to know is already program in our brain but unfortunately most people don't seek knowledge but rather listen and believe what those who claimed to be men of God says.....There's heaven but I don't believe there's hell...

2 Likes

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by EjaikreTheViper(f): 3:19pm On Jul 01, 2021
RELIGION IS A SCAM
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by smile11s(m): 3:20pm On Jul 01, 2021
I’ve question OP.

The best way to understand it is that this is all nothing. Nothing is really existing. I mean completely nothing. We no dey exist at all. Na inside your head we dey. This whole life is your imagination. Na you dey reason everything and thinking say we dey exist. It is your reality. We are not really existing but in your head. Simple.

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by saintmm(m): 3:20pm On Jul 01, 2021
melexchi:
i;m confused too, 1 part of the bible said after death judgement while another part said when someone dies he/she is in a deep sleep till rapture now I'm confused, Christians talking about making heaven but bible said there shall be new heaven and new earth so who will inherit the new earth when everyone's goal is heaven, well i believe in living a humble and belive in Jesus
Brother, I understand. The problem is we often read the Bible like a literally material with all focusing on either totally past or totally future.
If you study sincerely, factoring in prophecies and various timings in the Bible, somethings will become so simple and clear.

Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by benji93: 3:22pm On Jul 01, 2021
This is only possible if the power of God is limited. The concept of free will obviously means making a choice of free will. It doesn't mean the choices you could make are not limited by you knowledge/personality/beliefs and on and on. Your understanding of what freewill means is obviously not sound. In Quantum Physics for example researchers deal with determining the possible scenarios and the probabilities of those scenarios. You can let the particles roam freely but when you try to check in on them, you can on average be sure they are doing one of a number of things. Of course i used the word average cos i believe we humans have our limits with regards to knowledge.

Second bolded: What do you mean by he doesn't have a plan? What kind of plan do you want? The grand plan could simply be you live your life expanding your pool of choices as you on, by selecting from the plethora of choices(finite or infinite), then I judge you based on your choices. You must think God's idea of a plan must fit with man's idea of a plan. That would be assessing God from your myopic perspective. And that's quite terrible. Because someone says it's God's plan doesn't mean it is.

And besides i did not say God doesn't pre-determine. Before you talk, you must first listen. If anyone tells you he knows God's plan, he lies. I mean we are talking about an eternal plan here. You role in the plan may just be a dot on an uncountable number of pages.
Techguy96:

It's not possible for God to know if outcome of all things if he gave us freewill.
The freewill means we make out choice ourselves and God doesn't know the choice we will take. If God knows then it's not freewill.
If u say God doesn't pre-determine, it simply means God has no plan, but u Christians keep shouting God's plan everyday.
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by armyofone(m): 3:23pm On Jul 01, 2021
Like the one they said cut human or private parts bring money. Sad and sickening.

venabili:

As a highly scientific mind i would have agreed with you. Especially since i am almost certain that a day will come when life will be found in places other than earth. And it will make mockery of most religious belief.

I am however handicapped by being a black man. I have seen my kin do things that transcends the realm of science. There does exist african magic that is unexplainable by current scientific evidence. And by this, i do not mean palor tricks. If their objectives were achieved by some means of the spiritual realm, then the concept of God is not a nullity. Whether He is the Christian. Muslim, Jewish or Hindu god however is beyond me.

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 01, 2021
Techguy96:

I'm a different person, I just ask for examples to mistake or human errors, u two are arguing about
oh, sorry, I didn’t pay attention to the moniker. I thought you were the user with the initial post.

The poster said humans are mistakes which means humans were not made to be perfect while the creator(God) is perfect and without flaws.

The mistakes according to the poster are “deaths, suffering, evil, etc.

All these are not mistakes or errors from the creator, it was deliberate for humans self-realization.
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by Akakanfirstclass(m): 3:25pm On Jul 01, 2021
Workch:

I wouldn't even believe in God at all..
Until a day, a long time sha.
I woke up in d middle of night to urinate.
Note.. I wasn't sleeping alone in the room, we were 5 in that room..
It was a big room..
There was NEPA light..
I couldn't tell what time it was, but it was around 2 to 3 a.m.
The bathroom I intended to use was just along the alleyway(corridor)..
So my bladder was filled, it started to hurt, I needed to pee..
So when I got up, I saw clearly three man like beings..
But they didn't have a body like human, but rather like a florescent light..
They stood right in front of me, staring at me..
I have seen scary things that made me afraid all thru my life.. But that experience is second to none.
I literally pretended as if I was a furniture, I just lay still in an awkward position.
It was so real, I couldn't even dare ask them anything before they turn me into spirit..
Mehn..
But before I knew it, I slept off..
And woke up in the clear morning..
Told every one about it..
They knew I was serious.
I did several research then..
And the description of the being didn't match a ghost but rather an angel like being..
Then I knew that there is heaven indeed..

I have a thousand and more reason to doubt the Christian God..
For He sometimes it seems like he doesn't do like he says..
And the bible it self contradict it self..
Even the words of God in some Scriptures contradict His words again in other scriptures..

But overtime..
I have come to realize that men had influenced the bible a lot..
And men had influenced the impression of God a lot..
God is not the all description they taught us..
God is something else..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by Viking007(m): 3:26pm On Jul 01, 2021
ultimateGreen:
Straight answer to this questions:

1) Does God know the past? Yes! God knows the past because He created the universe and he was there in the past.

2) Does God know the present? Yes! God knows the present because He is here in the present and all over the present!

3) Does God know the future? No! God does not know the future! that is why he did not foresee Adam and Eve disobedience, Lucifer's rebellion etc. But he has power over future because of his omnipotency and He can predict tomorrow because of His wisdom but He gives all creatures freewill and will never deny or impose His will on them because of His benevolence...

I think this gives you more picture about who God is really is. We have to know God before we can serve him right but many people don't know God... Bible never say or portrait God as knowing future... Read your Bible!!!
Please can you attach a bible verse to back up each of the points you just made? Thanks. I find your opinion very interesting.

1 Like

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by SilentBurner(m): 3:29pm On Jul 01, 2021
The Bible was not for comparison or criticism.
It was only for believers.
Just believe that Jesus Christ is your lord and personal saviour, read the Bible and pray.
The light will shine on you and all your questions will be answered.
Don't be a Thomas.
God has given you a chance to choose.
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by kendological(m): 3:33pm On Jul 01, 2021
Religion and rationality don't work together.
Leave religion alone for now, read about Deism, Humanism, Agnosticism, Pantheism, maybe Atheism.
Stop being afraid of what religion taught you.

4 Likes

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by damosky12(m): 3:33pm On Jul 01, 2021
Techguy96:

There's bro, especially in the Old Testament, it's why u see Christians refute the Old Testament everytime.

In most argument I have had with Christians they usually reply with "that's the Old Testament, Jesus has come to change all that" but the New Testament is not any better and it's more of puals teaching than Jesus.

If you'd be willing to read an opposing stance, follow patiently.

The Old Testament scriptures were colored by three key variables: culture, civilization, and level of Spiritual enlightenment.

The prophets of old, beginning from Moses, wrote based on the realities of their times. Moses grew up in the ancient near East coast with a mixture of Egyptian education and Hebrew traditions. The both highly influenced each other, and the both influenced Moses.

This is why when God called Moses in Exodus, he (Moses) asked for His (God's) name. He grew up with an Egyptian society that worshipped many gods. God's answer "I am that which I am" is obviously not God's name (name is for men. God is God), But Moses wouldn't fathom a God without a name. This was the same with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. They heard God to the extent of their limit in enlightenment, culture, and civilization.

Most of the laws of Moses (the ordinances, not the ten commandments) were practices that the Hebrews were familiar with. Animal sacrifices, keeping the Sabbath day, ceremonial washings, etc. were based on the near-Eastern culture of Moses' time. Note how Jesus reacted to these and why the Pharisees had issues with HIM. Jesus literally sifted Moses' messages and brought out the truth from it

MOSES TRULY HAD GOD'S MESSAGE. But that message would be interpreted and delivered through his mind (which is already being influenced by these factors).

These factors would not invalidate God's message. They sure don't. They only makes it less clear. Moses and all the prophets of old delivered God's messages, not perfectly as God said it, but influenced by their culture, enlightenment,and the level of civilization of their time.

This is what Peter reports here when he spoke about the writings of the prophets of old:

2 Peter 1:19
[19]We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn...

Paul also spoke of rightly separating the scriptures while studying it... Note that he referred to Old Testament writings (as no New Testament writing was in circulation then).

2 Timothy 2:15
[15]Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rightly dividing there means being able to extract the message from the other influences.

Jesus was the first to point this out in his "sermon on the mount." He came out to correctly interorete the writings of Moses:

Matthew 5:21-22
[21]Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
[22]But I say unto you...

Jesus expounded the writings of Moses, rightly separating the relevance from the irrelevancies. He helped separated and sifted the near Eastern traditions from the true message from God. He projected the true message of God without the human colorations that seemed to distort it.

The New Testament is not the rewriting of the Bible, but the message of Christ- particularly how He interpreted the writings of the prophets for the world.

Jesus is God's intervention in solving man's confusion about the writings of the prophets.

The gaps in time and civilization would surely not help us see God's message in the writings of Moses and the prophets. That's why Jesus came. He gave us the understanding.

Luke 24:27
[27]And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Paul and the other Apostles built on what they learnt of Christ.

Hope you get. I had to rush this up.

2 Likes

Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by SweetDipBenny(m): 3:34pm On Jul 01, 2021
Workch:

So wats ur own theory of life
Re: My Confusion About God And The Scriptures. by Hassanmaye(m): 3:34pm On Jul 01, 2021
Workch:

I agree

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

How God Delivered Me From Self-service / Bounties Of Jannat (paradise) / 10 Categories Of People That Are Interested In The Downfall Of Apostle Suleman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.