Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,113 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:31 AM

Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? (9903 Views)

What Is Your Advice About Improving Our Economy ? / The Co*k-And-Bull Story Of The FG On Smuggled $9.3m to SA - Festus Keyamo / New Face Of The Remodelled Benin Airport. Who Says The FG Is Not Working. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Nobody: 10:05pm On May 09, 2011
O my God, nigerians will believe anything, give you power, how? try to find out what's happening in and around this peoples circles, don't know about goodluck but as for namadi, go check out the nosense of nothingness this guy did to the people of his own state. These people are milking us dry and you actually believe what they tell you. You are in for a shocker, do you really believe they care about you?
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by ibedun: 10:14pm On May 09, 2011
Kai!! sometime I just want to give up.

Hopelessness is a vice. And our people are wallowing in it. Shame.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by ladej(m): 10:22pm On May 09, 2011
UncleJJ:

Woman dey pregnant, she neva born una dey ask if na boy abi girl.

Make the pregnancy develop finsh first make we see,
comment of d day. i give you 2 agbalumos and 1 choco milo. gbosa grin
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by donpeluchi(m): 10:26pm On May 09, 2011
I am yet to see the so called road map but if it does not involve power transmission and distribution, we are going no where.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Nobody: 10:27pm On May 09, 2011
Nigerians will never learn, what is the cost of running GEJ government and all other governments we have had.We have a government that puts excess liguidity in the market by spending the said excess crude account by using it to 1st paying the Legistlators and the remain the state and excutive share, so our expenses is more than our income , meaning our balance sheet as a nation is almost in red, so where is the money for these projects, well people would say they will use Public private cooperation but with the present economic melt down and the rush on gold as a commmodity where will the investor come from, and remember the crisis in the northern part of the nation,which investor will be willing to stake so much in a country that is living on hope,

What about the independent marketers that make money from the sale of fuel for our generating sets after we have bought fuel for our cars, The house of Rep leader when the power bill was brought to him said its not possible cos we need to consider companies that sell generators, he said do we want to put them out of bizness too, so this is another joke nigerians are been promised again like all others we were promised by OBJ and co that we would have light by 2007 but where is the light with all the billions of dollars spent by OBJ in the power sector? angry angry
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by jmaine: 10:30pm On May 09, 2011
alj_harem:

where is the place and don't tell me abuja

Oshogbo in Osun state = 20 - 23 hours a day . . As corp members , we were using electric hot plate to cook all our meals , who you wan see dey use stove or gas cooker when light dey steady. To a large extent Osun state do have 18 hours of electricity on a fairly steady basis
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 09, 2011
Question: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply?
Ans: Time will tell!
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by REALTRUTH1: 10:44pm On May 09, 2011
blacksta:

lol - since 1960
when i was 4years old - My Granddad always stated that " My generation would be the one that would enjoy Nigeria" Fast forward 28 years - I no get liver to make same statement to my unborn children.
I have know darkness all my life shocked

Guy you don kill me with laugh finish,,,
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 09, 2011
If you are well informed as regards the events in the power sector, you would know that alot of projectS are ongoing and also alot of contracts have been awarded by the FG. Futhermore, many more contracts in the power sector are at the tendering stages now.

In the power sector there is generation, transmission and distribution. You might have the plant to generate say 20,000MW but you might not have the capability to transmit it. Even if you do, the question of your capacity to distribute this generated and transmitted power comes to question. Though we have power generation problem (power generated is small) presently, the FG is carying the 3 areas I mentioned above simulteneously. There are some place that have distribution and transmission defficiencies.

Moverover, we should not expect GEJ to fix the rot in the power sector within 4 years - this would be a very difficult task. The solution to the power problem in Nigeria is a progressive one and not abrupt. The improvement would be a gradual process. If previous regimes did 60% of what GEJ is doing presently, the situation would have been better. HE SHOULD NEVER FAIL TO PRIVATISE PHCN BECAUSE THEY ARE PRESENTLY FRUSTRATING GOVERNMENT'S EFFORTS TO IMPROVE POWER IN THIS COUNTRY.

Considering the lowsiness of some of our contractors and laxity in government, some of these projects may take up to 3 - 5 years to be completed. I strongly believe that the impact of the strong commitment of the GEJ administration in the power sector would be felt after his 4 years or in his second tenure (that is after this first 4 years) - of course if he performs very well, 2nd tenure would not be a problem though GOD is the ultimate decider.

Though we have power generation problem presently, the FG is carying the 3 areas
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by kcjazz(m): 10:54pm On May 09, 2011
What is the capacity now? Aren't we running behind already on the power reform plan goals for April 2011? undecided
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Nobody: 10:56pm On May 09, 2011
donpeluchi:

I am yet to see the so called road map but if it does not involve power transmission and distribution, we are going no where.

A lot of transmission and distribution projects are going on presently. Many of such contracts have been awarded, others are at the tendering stages, while still others are being planned. A good number of the substation are being upgraded - bigger transformers, circuit breakers, isolators, conductors, etc  are being installed.

With time, we would see these come onstream.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Nobody: 10:59pm On May 09, 2011
I do not know the capacity now but I am 100% sure of that large volume of projects are going on and many more are about/yet to start -though awarded. As I said, it is a progressive process. Lets continue to pray.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 09, 2011
kcjazz:

What is the capacity now? Aren't we running behind already on the power reform plan goals for April 2011? undecided

I do not know the capacity now but I am 100% sure of the truth that a lot of power projects are going on and many more are about/yet to start -though awarded. As I said, it is a progressive process. Lets continue to pray.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by okooyinbo(m): 11:08pm On May 09, 2011
UncleJJ:

Woman dey pregnant, she neva born una dey ask if na boy abi girl.

Make the pregnancy develop finsh first make we see,  

JJ, which century you sef dey? You know say tekinoloji don advance far far? Common, with ultrasonics, it is no more a magic to determine the baby's sex, The sound education and the right technology coupled with desire "to know" should suffice.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by kcjazz(m): 11:16pm On May 09, 2011
jusRadical:

I do not know the capacity now but I am 100% sure of the truth that a lot of power projects are going on and many more are about/yet to start -though awarded. As I said, it is a progressive process. Lets continue to pray.

Well, according to the Power Reform plan of the FG, there are deliverables for April 2011, so if we have 750MW, sounds good but the real question is are we reaching the goals we set for ourselves? Cos if not, like all projects we spend more money and waste more time. I would prefer we over achieve on those goals. Lets wait and see where we are by December.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by wikitruth: 11:45pm On May 09, 2011
We don't need prayer to get the power probelm solved. Go ask all thenations enjoying uninterupted electricity how many hours they pray to ge the light. In Nigeria, we put political deception into everything. Most of these power plants the vp is mentioning are turbine plants installed with no pipeline to convey gas to them or provision to produce gas to feed them. There is also the need to complete the prvitisation and bulkanisation of PHCN exercise also. At the pace we are moving, may be we can have uninteruppted light in the next 20years!!!
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Pafuri(m): 12:06am On May 10, 2011
Me I siddon dey look.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by ektbear: 12:37am On May 10, 2011

The Nation: New  electricity tariff coming next month

New  electricity tariff coming next month
================================================================================
John Ofikhenua, Abuja on 09/05/2011 00:05:00

•’TCN is thwarting NERC’s effort’

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) would next month announce
the much-awaited review of electricity tariff that will be a major factor for
investors to stake their funds in the industry.
 According to the commission’s Chairman, Dr. Sam Amadi, who disclosed 
this in Abuja at the weekend, this will be arrived at after all the parameters
associated with generation, transmission and distribution of the commodity,
along with a reasonable margin, have been worked out.
He said without a cost-reflective tariff, there would be no investor willing to
put his money in the sector.

Besides, a Commissioner in the agency, Ekpo Eyo, noted that a cost-reflective
tariff is necessary, because  $10 billion (about N1.4 trillion) would be
required annually just to sustain the current level of between 3,500 mega watts
and 3,800 mega watts.
But Amadi lamented  that while desperate efforts are on to try to get the
cost-reflective tariff, the Managing Director of Transmission Company of
Nigeria (TCN) had not been forthcoming with details required from his end to
compute the accurate cost of making electricity available to consumers.

The NERC boss said he had written several letters to the TCN, the latest of
which was sent last Friday, to reveal how much it would take them to transmit
electricity efficiently, but had not received any response. He appealed to the
organisation to co-operate to make the job of NERC in finding the right price
for electricity less stressful.
Even if the country generates 10,000MW of electricity today, said Amadi, much
of it would lie idle as there is not enough transmission capacity to evacuate it
due to inefficient lines.

He added that 44 per cent of revenue was lost in the industry through the
lines, fraud, poor metering, among others.
The NERC chief also stated that the new companies seeking to acquire the six
electricity generation companies and 11 distribution companies would have to
disclose their full costs of providing power to enable the regulatory body to
come up with a new tariff that would make for abundance of electric power.
Noting that new pre-paid meters could not be provided for everybody in the next
one year even if the fund was available, he said N2.99 billion had been given to
the 11 distribution companies to provide meters.
He said the incoming investors would take care of meters when they come on
stream.
Although the appropriate tariff is not yet known, former Director-General of
Bureau of Public Enterprise (BPE) and former Minister of the Federal Capital
Territory, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, said last month that for the country to
attract investors into the power sector, electricity tariffs need to go up by
between 300 and 400 per cent

NERC, however, appears to be in a dilemma about public reaction to the
anticipated increase in tariff because, according to Eyo, it was expected that
by now, the amount of electricity generated would be thrice as much as it is
now. The agency acknowledges that should there be sufficient or appreciable
increase in supply, a raise in tariff would not be seriously resisted by
Nigerians
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/business/5473-new-electricity-tariff-coming-next-month.html
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by ektbear: 12:40am On May 10, 2011
I'm a little concerned by this Transmission Company of Nigeria. Already, it is appearing to be the weakest link.

I'm starting to think that it should be privatized too, lest it slow down progress elsewhere.

Also, how will Nigerians react if/when the price of electricity is revised upwards by 4X? It is a necessary step, but they might respond poorly.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by kcjazz(m): 12:52am On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'm a little concerned by this Transmission Company of Nigeria. Already, it is appearing to be the weakest link.

I'm starting to think that it should be privatized too, lest it slow down progress elsewhere.

Also, how will Nigerians react if/when the price of electricity is revised upwards by 4X? It is a necessary step, but they might respond poorly.

Poorly I guess, but if the govt is sincere, then they can make things happen.
I don't blame the consumers for their skepticism, but whatever needs to be done must be done with results and a sense of urgency and btw I hope all govt agencies have paid up.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by ladej(m): 1:01am On May 10, 2011
okooyinbo:

JJ, which century you sef dey? You know say tekinoloji don advance far far? Common, with ultrasonics, it is no more a magic to determine the baby's sex, The sound education and the right technology coupled with desire "to know" should suffice.
technology gets it wron dude, many expectant mothers of boys had girls, and vice versa. it happens. and btw the poster was sharing light humour.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by bidemi12(m): 1:53am On May 10, 2011
ibedun:

You people are part of the bleeping problem with Nigeria.

How else do you expect this monster of a problem to be solved?

Do you dead skulls know there are things called Constraints in the management of anything?

Just how do you expect the FG to resolve this problem?

Dear hopeless citizen hear this, there is no magic bullet. The problem of light will only be solved bit-by-bit. Like it or not. Trying to do it all in one go is a no-brainer and will bankrupt the FG.

Some thoughtless Nairalander suggest that foreigners should come and take control of our entire grid? This is a Nigerian problem that must be solved by Nigerians. The foreigner didnt get to where they are in one day. India still cannot supply its own power needs 100% but lightweight brains are calling for indian companies to come and feast on our grid?  

another dead brained nigerian.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Fhemmmy: 2:13am On May 10, 2011
Only time will tell
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by kabukabu50(m): 2:37am On May 10, 2011
bidemi12:

another dead brained nigerian.

Lmao that was funny.
Giving birdbrained excuses for the abject failure of your politicians to do the right thing.Thats why Nigeria is wallowing,"eee go betta" mentality will be the downfall of his ilk. grin grin grin grin.

Constraints Ke?
The Japanese just rebuilt entire highways just days after the earthquake, you mean to tell me they dont have "constraints"?? cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by owobokiri(m): 5:21am On May 10, 2011
The politics of megawatts
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Mynd44: 7:02am On May 10, 2011
This is simple if GEJ does not deliver power then his party and their cohorts will be voted out of power. Personally i still think this Guy is CLUELESS

1 Like

Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by Navi(m): 7:13am On May 10, 2011
i trust d GEJ Govt, what dey tell u is what u get.
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by prefers555: 7:15am On May 10, 2011
To solve the power issue, set up high level investigation into who profits from nigerias continued stay in darkness. Whatever company or importer found to have profited 4rm our sorrow should be left out of the grand plan to nigerias power recovery. Non of these companies should be awarded any of the juicy contracts to avoid sabotage. SIMPLE!!!!!!
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by enyojo(f): 7:43am On May 10, 2011
It is evident some persons speak so confidently of things they know nothing about.

Going by these, nigerians are really the happiest people on earth
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by hondaa: 7:59am On May 10, 2011
i have not had light since the presidential elections.this is appalling,
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by jmaine: 8:10am On May 10, 2011
enyojo:

It is evident some persons speak so confidently of things they know nothing about.

Going by these, nigerians are really the happiest people on earth

The best you could have done was to enlighten us on what is on ground as an expert since you professed to be in the main scheme of things as a consultant . . .what is your take on this topic
Re: Is The Fg Really Serious About Improving Power Supply? by jaymdee(m): 8:36am On May 10, 2011
Story story, STORY!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

List Of The 6 Electric Discos / US-EXIM Bank, AECOM Offer Support For $11.1bn Nigeria’s Coastal Rail Project / Redeem Christian Church And Mountain Of Fire Sues Lagos State Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.