Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

What Is The Worst University Course To Study? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Worst University Course To Study? (37468 Views)

What University Course Can A FURNITURE MAKER (furnisher) Study? / UNILAG: Worst University In Nigeria Based On Moral & Dressing? / Which University/course Can Accept E8 In Mathematics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by htdot: 12:43pm On Jul 09, 2021
Karleb:

You obviously haven't been to a research lab. I have been to one, albeit small and I can tell you that as a biochemist, you have the right to conduct a biochemical test.

My knowledge of biochemistry is a bit rusty, but biochemical tests I can remember include:

Blood sugar level.
Pregnancy test. This basically detect the presence of Hcg hormone.
DNA tests.
HIV Test. This is just antigen, antibody interaction.

In fact, most of the test being conducted in hospitals are biochemical tests.

Many of my friends who did their SIWES in private hospitals actually learnt these and before they rounded up their programs, they were conducting it for patients and doing well.

These tests are not rocket science and it's what we've been taught in school.

Students/Corps members are in your hospital for knowledge. There is nothing wrong with showing them the processes, it doesn't contravene the law anywhere.

If you are mentioning Biochemistry and quackery in thesame statement, it means you don't know much about biochemistry.
Quackery means doing something that you are not certify for... practicing without license.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by ajl: 12:52pm On Jul 09, 2021
2scorehigh:
In your own opinion, what is the worst university course for someone to study?

Worst in the sense that you will not advise anyone to go for the course.

Worst in the sense that even if you are paid so well to do the course, you will gladly refuse/reject the offer.

Worst in the sense that if you have the power to delete the course from school curriculum forever, you won’t waste any time in doing so...

If you ask me, I'd say it's Microbiology.

I have absolutely no interest at all in the course. In fact, everything about Microbiology gives me the heebie-jeebies! shocked shocked shocked

I asked a friend, and she said it's Music for her.

What about you?

What is/are your reasons for saying so?

Let's hear from you...

My background is in Botany and Microbiology. I also have a Masters in Env Science and an even higher degree in Microbiology. Part of my professional experience included working in the oil industry helping to manage oil reservoirs where “bad” bacteria in reservoirs or oilfield facilities create products that can decrease petroleum quality. I also did some work related to bacteria that degrade petroleum in reservoirs. They virtually “eat” up the oil. It is because of bacteria that most of petroleum in countries like Venezuela and Canada is heavy and costly to process. Just think about it, microbes are everywhere, so we have no choice but to know about them and sometimes use them to make great products. Your life on earth here depend on microbes. If they stop “working”, life on earth will cease. During my graduate student days, I always looked forward to going to the lab each morning because the bacteria I used to work on was capable of doing great things like “eating” bad chemicals in the environment and even living at very low temperature. One cell of bacteria can turn to one billion cells in a space of 12 hours. Most of the advancement in modern medicine would not have been possible without knowledge of microbiology because they offer us opportunity to use them for research because of their faster generation time.

The problem is that you live in a country where they don’t do research. Even professors that pretend to do scientific research are only doing so in order to get a professor rank. They have no interest in advancement of the society through research and development.
A well trained microbiologist can work in the following industry: medical industry, petroleum industry, pharmaceutical industry, agricultural industry, food industry, biochemical industry, and several others.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by trustbaba(m): 12:55pm On Jul 09, 2021
BinamRex:

Studying computer science in Nigeria is a waste of time. When I went for NYSC, I went to enroll for a computer programming course and a computer graduate came to enrol too. I was like : "Dude, if you don't know computer programming after spending 4 solid years in school, what did you learn"? He told me he knew a little bit of the theoretical aspect.

Guy.. u aren't right on this one.. CSC is the best course to read right now.. Not all who study it will know it's relevance.. And besides.. CSC has a lot of areas.. the dude might be Good in networking but needs programming language for a job.. All the same.. it depends on how an individual build him/her self.. I study CSC and I make money with My skills even during my year of study.. a lot of opportunities are available for the course.. remote jobs and all

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Probz(m): 1:18pm On Jul 09, 2021
Accounting.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Probz(m): 1:19pm On Jul 09, 2021
At least watching paint dry involves something potentially colourful. Accounting has nothing. Nothing at all.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by mattb1(m): 1:28pm On Jul 09, 2021
MrThisandthat:
Don't know about the worst... But the most useless is Estate Management!

Your correct ooo, everyone in Nigeria is a valuer and worst of it you will never be trained on how to carry out valuation
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by htdot: 1:34pm On Jul 09, 2021
T
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by akaahs(m): 1:35pm On Jul 09, 2021
SunShowAfrica:
Have you head about B.A Christian Studies??

If you have no intentions of becoming a pastor, avoid the course
Chai, u just remind me of a friend that graduated with such degree.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Koolyarn: 1:45pm On Jul 09, 2021
Horology
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Gentew(m): 1:51pm On Jul 09, 2021
MrThisandthat:

You got it wrong!!! I studied estate management and I'm doing just fine so are my colleagues
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Judybash93(m): 1:53pm On Jul 09, 2021
Philosophy
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by elbarond(m): 2:00pm On Jul 09, 2021
Criminology
It's useless here in Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by vicfajeze: 2:05pm On Jul 09, 2021
IGBO LANGUAGE IS THE WORST
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Nosa111(m): 2:20pm On Jul 09, 2021
Once people start telling you with the course you can work anywhere even at the hospital, companies, banks, police station or even be a politician just know that that course is USELESS grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by waldigit: 2:32pm On Jul 09, 2021
MrThisandthat:
Like seriously? You need a consellor too
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by waldigit: 2:33pm On Jul 09, 2021
mattb1:

Your correct ooo, everyone in Nigeria is a valuer and worst of it you will never be trained on how to carry out valuation
In which school?
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Lawsimon(m): 2:42pm On Jul 09, 2021
MALIGNANTGuest:

May be miserable in Nigeria where Everyone na Oga. But in d diaspora, u can feed fat on such.
People get paid hugely for just giving professional advice on marital, economic, business issues.

For me I think the most irrelevant Locally & internationally is POLITICAL SCIENCE.
Any human can be a Politician.
In fact, we have Politicians without WAEC.

Why are you doing this to yourself?

My friend, look for political scientist and ask what the course is all about. Studying political science does make you a politician.

You are having a misconception about the course.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by MrThisandthat(m): 3:15pm On Jul 09, 2021
It's the drunkard you have as a mother,
The pedophile u call father and bunch of miscreants you have as siblings that are miserable not me...
You must be delusional to go about insulting people when they air their opinion...
Nonsense!

igbarasdynasty:

You are miserable to say such. That's the most Valuable profession Cashing out Big time in the Real World.
I'm an Architect though.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by bluefilm: 3:17pm On Jul 09, 2021
Nosa111:
Once people start telling you with the course you can work anywhere even at the hospital, companies, banks, police station or even be a politician just know that that course is USELESS grin grin grin

Hahahaha

Guy you dey vexx o
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by MrThisandthat(m): 3:19pm On Jul 09, 2021
It's the transgendered you have as a mother,
The pedophile u call father and bunch of miscreants you have as siblings that are miserable not me...
You must be delusional to go about insulting people when they air their opinion...
Nonsense!

igbarasdynasty:

You are miserable to say such. That's the most Valuable profession Cashing out Big time in the Real World.
I'm an Architect though.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by sally042(f): 3:26pm On Jul 09, 2021
Applied Biology
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by yunqdady: 3:33pm On Jul 09, 2021
OriakuAmara:
I remember when I got admission back then to read Nursing, there is this girl in the class, very brainy like me*winks*
In 200level, she applied for change of department from nursing to biochemistry, according to her, Biochemistry will push her above nurses in the medical field,
Lalalalala
5yrs after graduation,she started regretting the decision after failing to secure a job while we were changing jobs like tissue.
She later went to a school of nursing and rejoined us in the profession .

Medical laboratory scientist are the only recognized people to handle hospital lab , they don't give breathing space to all these Microbiology, Biochemistry people.
Another No-No courses for me are Human Anatomy and Human physiology 4yrs program
They should be scrapped out.

A relative of mine want to read Agricultural Economics and he needs my advice
Anyone knows anything about the course?
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by LordIsaac(m): 3:38pm On Jul 09, 2021
elbarond:
Criminology
It's useless here in Nigeria.
Not true.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by yunqdady: 3:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
Babafash:
please stop saying some courses are not good to study or that they should be scrapped. I studied human anatomy and am working in one of the federal Medical centre in the country. I earn the same amount as bsc nurses with the Same allowances and benefits. We were both given conhess 7 step 2 as fresh employees. So stop sounding as if nurses as upper hand than anatomist or physiologist
Cos u have connections, how many physiologists do u have in any hospital. Let's be real. U got lucky or got connected, it's not the norm

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Dynamicparamedi(m): 3:48pm On Jul 09, 2021
Am about staying Human Anatomy how less valued ist��
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by OriakuAmara(f): 3:56pm On Jul 09, 2021
Babafash:
please stop saying some courses are not good to study or that they should be scrapped. I studied human anatomy and am working in one of the federal Medical centre in the country. I earn the same amount as bsc nurses with the Same allowances and benefits. We were both given conhess 7 step 2 as fresh employees. So stop sounding as if nurses as upper hand than anatomist or physiologist
It's a big lie
You read human anatomy and working in FMC as what exactly?
Enlighten us
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Johnchrix(m): 4:05pm On Jul 09, 2021
Jman06:
The problem in Nigeria is that the course is already saturated with too many graduates having a B.Sc in Biochemistry. Almost every university in Nigeria offers biochemistry and year in year out they keep churning out graduates of biochemistry. Besides, they are not even properly trained in terms of practical exposures.

By the way, the purpose of BSc biochemistry is not for you to work in medical laboratory. It is a research-based discipline aimed primarily at producing researchers in the field! But here in Nigeria, the purpose has been lost and that is why graduates of biochemistry now see medical lab scientists as enemies and rivals. Meanwhile, medical laboratory scientists are the ones that have the requisite training to man clinical labs. Check your curriculum and compare it with that of medical laboratory science, you'll discover (if you're honest enough) that there's a whole lot of difference.

I think the way forward is for the NSBMB and other stake holders to go back to the drawing board, rediscover the purpose of the course and focus on it, whilst cutting down on the number of intakes into the program and equipping training labs so as to impart the right practical exposures to the students.

This is coming from a biochemistry graduate(2-1) who is now a pharmacist.

Biochemists are frustrated beings in Nigeria, I know a friend who studied biochemistry and was looking for a job in a Filling Station. I was saddened.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by tsmat(m): 4:06pm On Jul 09, 2021
Hanibbal:
There is no worst university course. Every course is geared towards knowledge acquisition. Just go to school and get that knowledge. White man does not think this way.

Yes they do not o.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Babafash(m): 4:24pm On Jul 09, 2021
OriakuAmara:

It's a big lie
You read human anatomy and working in FMC as what exactly?
Enlighten us
I work as a scientific Officer, pathology department (Mortuary unit). I can send u my APL as evidence. So stop all these superiority complex. Nursing is just a stressful and over hyped job . The only people that earn more than us are doctors, pharmacists, and Medical lab scientists

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by SunShowAfrica: 4:25pm On Jul 09, 2021
Airwavez:
cool
In Absu...
Its History and international relations...
The no dey even build faculty block for dem..

Everyday dem dey fight other department for hall
Hahahhahah
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Babafash(m): 4:36pm On Jul 09, 2021
yunqdady:

Cos u have connections, how many physiologists do u have in any hospital. Let's be real. U got lucky or got connected, it's not the norm
You are right about physiologists sha but anatomists can work in histopath, forensic and mortuary unit of any hospital or health care centre. The anatomist we have in my unit alone are up to ten not to talk of those in histopath or forensic

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Willy123(m): 4:40pm On Jul 09, 2021
2scorehigh:
In your own opinion, what is the worst university course for someone to study?

Worst in the sense that you will not advise anyone to go for the course.

Worst in the sense that even if you are paid so well to do the course, you will gladly refuse/reject the offer. Have you heard of POLITICAL SCIENCE?

Worst in the sense that if you have the power to delete the course from school curriculum forever, you won’t waste any time in doing so...

If you ask me, I'd say it's Microbiology.

I have absolutely no interest at all in the course. In fact, everything about Microbiology gives me the heebie-jeebies! shocked shocked shocked

I asked a friend, and she said it's Music for her.

What about you?

What is/are your reasons for saying so?

Let's hear from you...

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] / Sylvester Oromoni’s Sister Celebrates His Birthday (Photos) / Akwa Ibom Uni Expels Ekpo Iniobong For Facebook Post About Governor Udom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.