Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

What Is The Worst University Course To Study? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Worst University Course To Study? (37495 Views)

What University Course Can A FURNITURE MAKER (furnisher) Study? / UNILAG: Worst University In Nigeria Based On Moral & Dressing? / Which University/course Can Accept E8 In Mathematics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Willy123(m): 4:43pm On Jul 09, 2021
2scorehigh:
In your own opinion, what is the worst university course for someone to study?

Worst in the sense that you will not advise anyone to go for the course.

Worst in the sense that even if you are paid so well to do the course, you will gladly refuse/reject the offer.

Worst in the sense that if you have the power to delete the course from school curriculum forever, you won’t waste any time in doing so...

If you ask me, I'd say it's Microbiology.

I have absolutely no interest at all in the course. In fact, everything about Microbiology gives me the heebie-jeebies! shocked shocked shocked

I asked a friend, and she said it's Music for her.

What about you?

What is/are your reasons for saying so?

Let's hear from you...
Have you heard of POLITICAL SCIENCE? smiley[color=#006600][/color] to

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by ThatPetiteChic: 4:50pm On Jul 09, 2021
yunqdady:

Cos u have connections, how many physiologists do u have in any hospital. Let's be real. U got lucky or got connected, it's not the norm

He doesn't know he got lucky. Federal and state hospitals employ nurses yearly unlike anatomy and physiology. Universities hardly employ them for lecturing jobs so what's the point.

Even biochemistry and microbiology. They have good prospects but it's not easy getting a job in that field because of saturation.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Babafash(m): 5:09pm On Jul 09, 2021
ThatPetiteChic:

He doesn't know he got lucky. Federal and state hospitals employ nurses yearly unlike anatomy and physiology. Universities hardly employ them for lecturing jobs so what's the point.

Even biochemistry and microbiology. They have good prospects but it's not easy getting a job in that field because of saturation.
My dear all those nurses that you said federal and state governments employ yearly majority of them also got lucky or has strong connections. Only those in the system will understand
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by ThatPetiteChic: 5:12pm On Jul 09, 2021
Babafash:
My dear all those nurses that you said federal and state governments employ yearly majority of them also got lucky or has strong connections. Only those in the system will understand

Nurses also have many private hospitals to apply to. How many private owned mortuaries employ anatomist/morticians?
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Babafash(m): 5:18pm On Jul 09, 2021
ThatPetiteChic:

Nurses also have many private hospitals to apply to. How many private owned mortuaries employ anatomist/morticians?
yea nurses can apply in private hospitals just as anatomist can also apply in private owned mortuaries. Now let me burst your bubble do you know that most private hospitals prefer to employ apprentice or diploma nurses than bse nurses just to cut cost.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by NewFolm4(m): 5:22pm On Jul 09, 2021
2scorehigh:

Worst in the sense that even if you are paid so well to do the course, you will gladly refuse/reject the offer.

Worst in the sense that if you have the power to delete the course from school curriculum forever, you won’t waste any time in doing so...

Your opinion though.
Thank God I studied Microbiology, had Masters in it. Now I'm a Senior Scientific Officer with federal agency. without MCB I won't get the appointment. Now I'm a public officer and a level 10 officer with a pay on CONHESS 09. I'm running my MPH now courtesy of MCB as my background.

My brother not about course but about the purpose of God for your life. I'm a living testimony of MCB and a proud one indeed.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by 21savages: 6:00pm On Jul 09, 2021
wunmi590:
grin

Make e no just be say I no talk, I'm a microbiologist for the past 10years now, I have never used it to work...

Very useless course, to cap it all, you can't even use it to work in lab, they will tell you, you are not a trained lab technician....

Even when I did general microbiology, which can make me work either in the hospital, and industry, the course is still nonsense....

Nah so so girls full that's department, I could remember in my class out of 40 student, guys are only 10 while girls are 30
10yrs you say�, pls how have you been surviving..
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Ify15(f): 6:04pm On Jul 09, 2021
2scorehigh:

I have absolutely no interest at all in the course. In fact, everything about Microbiology gives me the heebie-jeebies! shocked shocked shocked

What about you?

Let's hear from you...
Biochemistry. VERY USELESS.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Jman06(m): 6:07pm On Jul 09, 2021
Johnchrix:

Biochemists are frustrated beings in Nigeria, I know a friend who studied biochemistry and was looking for a job in a Filling Station. I was saddened.
The thing is too bad. I see it like government and universities deliberately setting people up for frustration.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by wunmi590(m): 6:12pm On Jul 09, 2021
21savages:
10yrs you say�, pls how have you been surviving..

Lol, so you think I will be waiting to get a job in that field with migre salary....

I have migrate to another profession since........

I'm presently the head of admin and facility manager of 5malls

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Saibits(m): 6:18pm On Jul 09, 2021
ajl:

My background is in Botany and Microbiology. I also have a Masters in Env Science and an even higher degree in Microbiology. Part of my professional experience included working in the oil industry helping to manage oil reservoirs where “bad” bacteria in reservoirs or oilfield facilities create products that can decrease petroleum quality. I also did some work related to bacteria that degrade petroleum in reservoirs. They virtually “eat” up the oil. It is because of bacteria that most of petroleum in countries like Venezuela and Canada is heavy and costly to process. Just think about it, microbes are everywhere, so we have no choice but to know about them and sometimes use them to make great products. Your life on earth here depend on microbes. If they stop “working”, life on earth will cease. During my graduate student days, I always looked forward to going to the lab each morning because the bacteria I used to work on was capable of doing great things like “eating” bad chemicals in the environment and even living at very low temperature. One cell of bacteria can turn to one billion cells in a space of 12 hours. Most of the advancement in modern medicine would not have been possible without knowledge of microbiology because they offer us opportunity to use them for research because of their faster generation time.

The problem is that you live in a country where they don’t do research. Even professors that pretend to do scientific research are only doing so in order to get a professor rank. They have no interest in advancement of the society through research and development.
A well trained microbiologist can work in the following industry: medical industry, petroleum industry, pharmaceutical industry, agricultural industry, food industry, biochemical industry, and several others.
Lmao this guy said "Lab" grin microbiologists or biochemists don't have the license to run anything in the lab, that's the job of a Medlab scientist who did a professional course and has a license.
Abeg no dey lie to yourself
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Jman06(m): 6:18pm On Jul 09, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

You must be a new graduate.

Well, 10 years after your graduation, you will understand. That is all I have to tell you. There is no point trying to explain anything to you. But if you want to learn, be teachable.

Obviously from your comment, you need real help.
You're the one that really needs help. You seem to see things only from your own perspective, even when you're clearly deficient in knowledge.

To you, people should just accept any admission into just any program they're offered. You don't care if such courses even impart any knowledge to the students or not. It's all about going to the university and then coming out to start wandering about.

Many programs in our universities need to be outrightly scrapped while some others like biochemistry need to be improved on in terms of facilities and raised standards.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Saibits(m): 6:25pm On Jul 09, 2021
The best courses to study are
Architecture
Medicine/Dentistry
Radiography
Pharmacy
Nursing
Electrical Electronics Engineering
Civil Eng
Mls

The worst and most useless
Biochemistry
Microbiology
Anatomy and Physiology
Anything Education
Political science

Hope this helps

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by BluntTheApostle(m): 6:37pm On Jul 09, 2021
Adeh2009:

Thank you so much for the insight. i will show him this

he would be super excited . Thanks smiley

You are most welcome.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Morris101686(m): 6:48pm On Jul 09, 2021
IF YOU ARE APPLYING TO A UNIVERSITY TO READ CLASSICS, POLITICAL SCIENCE, HUMANITIES, LIBRARY SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, ETC, YOU ARE CLINGING TO THE PAST. YOU ARE LIKE A MAN BUYING A VIDEO CASSETTE RECORDER. NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU PASS, ARE STILL THE PAST. "Reno Omokiri"
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by OsusTroller: 6:49pm On Jul 09, 2021
hustla:

I'm in IT

Reserve the pain for your family

wink
have your family not escaped their misery and penury condition yet?
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by ThatPetiteChic: 7:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
Babafash:
yea nurses can apply in private hospitals just as anatomist can also apply in private owned mortuaries. Now let me burst your bubble do you know that most private hospitals prefer to employ apprentice or diploma nurses than bse nurses just to cut cost.

I know but there's no way a hospital will employ only auxiliary nurses. There is a law that says a registered nurse/matron must be around to supervise the auxiliary nurses. Even abroad, with a diploma in nursing, you can get a job that's why everyone keep saying nursing is lucrative course. Likewise doctors, a doctor will still get employed in Nigeria though the pay may be small.

I don't know much about mortuaries but when my grandma died, I realized that the two mortuaries we contacted didn't have a licenced mortician. The guys working there learnt the rudiments while working with their oga who also learnt from another oga. Pls enlighten me sir, do one need a mortician's licence to open a mortuary?

My point in summary is that, if you are opportune or among the few to succeed in a field with less opportunities, you shouldn't use it as a benchmark for every graduate in that field.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by edoairways: 7:52pm On Jul 09, 2021
MasonKendall:
You need to see a counsellor.
grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by asunmoGGMU(m): 8:09pm On Jul 09, 2021
sulemanalex:
Library science is the worst course
I studied it o

Lol. I take cursory look on this thread to see someone comment this. Library Science is a very very good course. According to a research conducted in 2018, it is the second discipline, after Medicine, with highest employed graduates in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by asunmoGGMU(m): 8:18pm On Jul 09, 2021
harmony75:
I heard a friend is studying library

Library and Information Science is a very good course with ever growing opportunities. Just use the Internet to know what they can do. Nigeria affects it, like other courses, but it is still one of the courses topping the chart of employed graduates in Nigeria. According to a 2018 research, it is only second to Medicine and Surgery.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by fbabs(m): 8:28pm On Jul 09, 2021
Jman06:
The problem in Nigeria is that the course is already saturated with too many graduates having a B.Sc in Biochemistry. Almost every university in Nigeria offers biochemistry and year in year out they keep churning out graduates of biochemistry. Besides, they are not even properly trained in terms of practical exposures.

By the way, the purpose of BSc biochemistry is not for you to work in medical laboratory. It is a research-based discipline aimed primarily at producing researchers in the field! But here in Nigeria, the purpose has been lost and that is why graduates of biochemistry now see medical lab scientists as enemies and rivals. Meanwhile, medical laboratory scientists are the ones that have the requisite training to man clinical labs. Check your curriculum and compare it with that of medical laboratory science, you'll discover (if you're honest enough) that there's a whole lot of difference.

I think the way forward is for the NSBMB and other stake holders to go back to the drawing board, rediscover the purpose of the course and focus on it, whilst cutting down on the number of intakes into the program and equipping training labs so as to impart the right practical exposures to the students.

This is coming from a biochemistry graduate(2-1) who is now a pharmacist.

Which uni
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by jerrykokolet(m): 8:28pm On Jul 09, 2021
estate management is worse imagine employers boasting of paying you 35,000 naira highest as salary as a degree holder o
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Lamanii22(f): 8:39pm On Jul 09, 2021
SunShowAfrica:
Have you head about B.A Christian Studies??

If you have no intentions of becoming a pastor, avoid the course

grin grin
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Lamanii22(f): 8:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Marine Engineering. Studied that, parents spent so much and I have only made 150k from it. Thank God for IT

grin grin
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Northbreed(m): 8:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
LOCAL GOVERNMENT
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by hustla(m): 8:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
OsusTroller:

have your family not escaped their misery and penury condition yet?

K
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 09, 2021
Jman06:
You're the one that really needs help. You seem to see things only from your own perspective, even when you're clearly deficient in knowledge.

To you, people should just accept any admission into just any program they're offered. You don't care if such courses even impart any knowledge to the students or not. It's all about going to the university and then coming out to start wandering about.

Many programs in our universities need to be outrightly scrapped while some others like biochemistry need to be improved on in terms of facilities and raised standards.
I will help you a bit, and you continue helping yourself. But if you still cannot still see it, then, it will really take you long to figure life out.

To you, the most important is to get job which most likely you dont have. But whose fault is it? The fault of the course you studied? Also, you want to scrap courses because you think it is not helpful cos there is no job. And you make bold statement to question some courses dont impact knowledge. I really think you dont know the meaning of knowledge. Cos if you do, you will never equate getting jobs after school with knowledge. And it shows clearly how knowledgeable you are by making a conclusion that one is deficient in knowledge. But it is clear I am showing you are inexperienced. I will not say you aren't knowledgeable, but you are not experienced. It is clear. And I guess right. You are a new graduate without experience. Yet, you are making bold statements. This is how kids like you kill your future before it starts.

Hmmm! Now tell me, what jobs are really available in Nigeria? Which course assures you job after graduation?

Mister man, undergraduate is called bachelor degree. Why? Go and research it, and then you will understand why studying any course does not really matter. If you want to continue arguing, be my guest. I was wrong to give you 10 years to figure it out. I think you may need 50 years to figure it out if not lifetime.

You want to scrap courses from our universities because you think they are not good? May God help you. Yet, these are courses we take and move abroad and beat them silly there. Really,, may God help you. You are just inexperienced and too forward. I will never respond to your inexperienced comments again.

Good luck!
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by NovusHomo(m): 9:37pm On Jul 09, 2021
2scorehigh:

What about you?

Let's hear from you...

Your lack of interest does not make microbiology the worst course of study. It could be a stepping-stone to medical studies.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Babafash(m): 10:00pm On Jul 09, 2021
ThatPetiteChic:

I know but there's no way a hospital will employ only auxiliary nurses. There is a law that says a registered nurse/matron must be around to supervise the auxiliary nurses. Even abroad, with a diploma in nursing, you can get a job that's why everyone keep saying nursing is lucrative course. Likewise doctors, a doctor will still get employed in Nigeria though the pay may be small.

I don't know much about mortuaries but when my grandma died, I realized that the two mortuaries we contacted didn't have a licenced mortician. The guys working there learnt the rudiments while working with their oga who also learnt from another oga. Pls enlighten me sir, do one need a mortician's licence to open a mortuary?

My point in summary is that, if you are opportune or among the few to succeed in a field with less opportunities, you shouldn't use it as a benchmark for every graduate in that field.
You are right. Nursing is a very lucrative job both in Nigeria and abroad. Everybody knows that fact but they shouldn't look down on other biomedical courses or say they should be scrapped simply because there is no much opportunity for them here in Nigeria. My uncle in the United states told me that anatomist earn more than nurses there in the states although i dont know how true it is.

Anatomist/morticians needs license to operate their personal morgue in order to avoid being sanctioned by government officials, it will be wise to register and license the mortuary business under the required agencies following due procedure.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by galantjoe(m): 5:54am On Jul 10, 2021
Karleb:

grin grin

I remember when our senior colleagues were complaining that the lab technicians at the hospital didn't allow them come close to the laboratory equipments. They said Biochemistry is not a professional course. Whereas, the test they take with the machines are pure biochemical tests.

So much hate and gate keeping in the health sector.

Microbiology is worse tho. I don't even regard that course.

Some courses are not meant to be studied saparately on its own. Biochemistry, microbiology, banking and finance are some of them.

Some courses do not need to be studied at first degree, instead at second degree after acquiring basic knowledge of the main course.
But here in Nigeria, even education management and curriculum development is a course of study at first degree.

This is a reason why universities and polytechnic re churning out half baked graduates
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by Karleb(m): 9:41am On Jul 10, 2021
asunmoGGMU:

Lol. I take cursory look on this thread to see someone comment this. Library Science is a very very good course. According to a research conducted in 2018, it is the second discipline, after Medicine, with highest employed graduates in Nigeria.

grin

E go clear for your eye.
Re: What Is The Worst University Course To Study? by lordally(m): 5:43pm On Jul 10, 2021
asunmoGGMU:

Library and Information Science is a very good course with ever growing opportunities. Just use the Internet to know what they can do. Nigeria affects it, like other courses, but it is still one of the courses topping the chart of employed graduates in Nigeria. According to a 2018 research, it is only second to Medicine and Surgery.

Anybody who chooses to see this and Put Library and Information Science in Jamb would have Him/Herself to be blamed!! Disregard what this person said at all cost! Disregard it! This person above doesn't mean well for you at all!! Omo all my friends wey I Sabi wey do Library and Information Science na so so Sley mama dem dey do for FB!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan VC, Olayinka Blasts UNN's Social Media Handler / Bishop Oyedepo Opens Center For Soiless Agriculture In Landmark University / LAUTECH expels 45 students for involvement in examination malpractices (LIST)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.