Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others - TV/Movies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others (62439 Views)

Multichoice Increases Subscription Rates For DSTV, Gotv Packages / Reps’ Bill Empowers NBC To Decide Tariffs For DSTV, Others / NBC Directs Gotv, DSTV, Others To Allow Local Stations Run Without Subscription (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by barcaboi(m): 1:33pm On Jul 15, 2021
BuyAndSellStuff:
Will they comply?

DSTV, MTN, Dangote & co holds FG by the balls so nothing dey happen jare.

Oh like you forgot when FG dealt with MTN to cough up some fine. Guy they can frustrate them trust me

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Pharaoh4rin(m): 1:34pm On Jul 15, 2021
I pity Osibanjo.

While he's busy scouting for businesses & investors in this god4saken country, the same govt is tryna frustrate the existing ventures.

If you know much the companies in Nigeria pays to stay in business, you'll look for how to rip the masses.

No wonder, different companies are relocating to other Africa countries in droves. It's crazy.

Even our own very starTimes is not living up to expectations

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by ifud(m): 1:36pm On Jul 15, 2021
DStv is exploiting Nigerians. I'm currently in Limbe, Cameroon. Was surprised that even an okada man has access to cable that allows them watch live events including EPL and other foreign channels, African Magic inclusive. I watched all the Euro 2020 matches live. They are paying 2,000 Francs per month. Why is our case different? No decoders, the cable company will just connect it directly to your TV. Also, you can choose the channels you wish to have.
obiekunie01:
DSTV is not a government agency it is a private owned business federal government has no right to dictate the price of their services!

Will government also subside their operational cost??

IF YOU CANT AFFORD DSTV THEN GO FOR OTHER CHEAPER ONES! PERIOD.

edit: too many mentions.

PLEASE STOP MENTIONING ME AM NOT THE CAUSE OF YOUR POVERTY!

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH DSTV PAYS TO PARTNER CHANNELS? OR YOU THINK THEY ARE GETTING THOSE CHANNELS FOR FREE?

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THEY BRIBE YOUR SENATORS AND GOVERNMENT AGENCIES PER YEAR?

AM A BUSINESSMAN - ONLY A BUSINESS MAN WILL UNDERSTAND THE DIFFICULTIES, BOTTLENECKS AND VERY HIGH COST OF OPERATING A BUSINESS IN NIGERIA!

Please go mind the cause of your poverty and stop mentioning me - if you cant afford DSTV there is still Startime, TSTV, Strong and loads of other free-to-air channels for you to watch! cheesy
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by SuperbCrown: 1:39pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:
DSTV is not a government agency it is a private owned business federal government has no right to dictate the price of their services!

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH DSTV PAYS TO PARTNER CHANNELS? OR YOU THINK THEY ARE GETTING THOSE CHANNELS FOR FREE?

AM A BUSINESSMAN - ONLY A BUSINESS MAN WILL UNDERSTAND THE DIFFICULTIES, BOTTLENECKS AND VERY HIGH COST OF OPERATING A BUSINESS IN NIGERIA!

Please go mind the cause of your poverty and stop mentioning me - if you cant afford DSTV there is still Startime, TSTV, Strong and loads of other free-to-air channels for you to watch! cheesy

You de reason with your ass
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Tobest94: 1:41pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

I’m not even sure you’re educated. Government can always regulate price and prevent consumers exploitation as long as you operate within the country

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by jonbat(m): 1:42pm On Jul 15, 2021
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Elxandre(m): 1:45pm On Jul 15, 2021
ogbiwa:

How much is cable TV in South Africa
Cable TV is given at pay per view in South Africa
Why are DStv not running at loss if they're doing all these subsidies there and other countries apart from Nigeria. Oga DStv are making billions in profit. They can AFFORD to subsidise and still make great profits even after spending on all their programs. That's why they're doing it in those other countries because the governments there won't let them bill it's citizens unnecessarily. But coming to Nigeria they saw an opening to exploit and make way more profit because the govt don't care. So that's what this is about
Funny thing is dstv doesn't run pay per view in any country in Africa.
It's a myth.

If people switched to pay as you go on TV, there's no way dstv or any other cable TV would be able to raise the millions of dollars needed to pay for TV rights for epl, ufc and the likes.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by sowilli: 1:46pm On Jul 15, 2021
If thats the case. Pay as you go should apply to data subscription by telecom providers.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by NwaEzefuNaMba(m): 1:51pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

Your problems are many, ranging from pride to arrogance and ignorance embarassed
If you have read the post, maybe you would have seen "DSTV, and other cable satellite operators in the country" why are you making reference to DSTV only? Abi are you their agent?

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by CoolAmbience(m): 1:52pm On Jul 15, 2021
Ayoemrys:
Good development, dstv Bern cheating Nigerians since 1930

I haven't been viewing my gotv for 2 weeks now and I subscribe 3500 for a month,

My wife and I discussed this same topic last week.

Cable TV charges should be based on pay-as-you-go.

Imagine, the gas in your cylinder disappearing into thin air because you didn't use it up within a stipulated period.

Which scam reach this one?

In my house, everyone is out for at least 11 hours every day, except on Sundays.

I can now see another people oriented move by the NASS.

I go like know the person wey sponsor this bill.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Tobest94: 1:54pm On Jul 15, 2021
Addme:

Yes NCC can regulate but they can not fix prices. Regulations and price fixing are two different things. It's the market forces with competition that fixes price. Can Reps tell the market women how to sell their goods? It's not possible..
You tried but you’re actually wrong.. Price ceiling can be done to fix range of price by Authorities..it’s not necessary to fix the price but you can peg it by stating maximum chargeable amount
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by CoolAmbience(m): 1:56pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

And who isn't a business man?

This, undoubtedly, is a good development.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Oktane: 2:02pm On Jul 15, 2021
ogbiwa:

Bros I see many people bashing you here and I don't blame them. You gave them no option with this your comment. How can you say government can't regulate a company because it's private? Do you know how many government licences and approvals DStv had to obtain to operate in Nigeria? So what will you say about mtn, glo and co that are also privately owned but being heavily regulated by NCC?
Secondly, your comment also shows gross insensitivity. [b]The national assembly has for once passed a bill that will help alleviate sufferings of the masses [/b]and you're here criticising it with ill informed analysis?

I don't think that the poster you quoted meant that DSTV should operate completely unbridled in Nigeria. Regulating an industry does not necessarily mean that you fix prices or impose a model. That negates the free market principle. DSTV and indeed all other PayTv operators are regulated in ways you cannot even understand.

I am of the opinion that PayTv should be pay as you watch hi but it shouldn't be enforced by the state. Competition is the best approach to this. Recall the per second billing model introduced by Glo.....even after MTN and co had sworn that it was unattainable.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Elxandre(m): 2:03pm On Jul 15, 2021
CoolAmbience:

My wife and I discussed this same topic last week.

Cable TV charges should be based on pay-as-you-go.

Imagine, the gas in your cylinder disappearing into thin air because you didn't use it up within a stipulated period.

Which scam reach this one?

In my house, everyone is out for at least 11 hours every day, except on Sundays.

I can now see another people oriented move by the NASS.

I go like know the person wey sponsor this bill.

I understand your point.
But if we all switched to pay as you go, their revenue would decline so drastically that there's no way they would be able to pay for TV rights ( which is paid for in dollars that is ever increasing against our Naira).
In fact even in South Africa, I see nothing like payg.
Let's be sincere, it's not going to be feasible.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by tholhusomhie: 2:06pm On Jul 15, 2021
Good one. But look out for for Smart Card and Decoder maintenance Fee to be introduced soonest by DSTV.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by ivolt: 2:06pm On Jul 15, 2021
SouthSouth1914:

Sure thing! But you need to realize DSTV has peaked, plus the less quantity demanded will drive the prices down, the suggestion by the house is even good publicity for DSTV
It is in the interest of a business to lower price when necessary.
When an external body makes such decision, it is bad business.
For example, it took the intervention of NCC to prevent data prices from crashing further.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by aylive02(m): 2:08pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

IF YOU CANT AFFORD DSTV THEN GO FOR OTHER CHEAPER ONES! PERIOD.with this edit, you still no get sense bra

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by ivolt: 2:08pm On Jul 15, 2021
NaijaRealtor:

It is the billing method that was changed.

Education is very important.

Yes, education is very important.
Not that I even agree with dictating billing method.
But the first line of the article reads.

The House of Representatives adopted pay-as-you-go and a price slash for DSTV and other cable satellite operators in the country.

You couldn't have skipped the first line.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by lahizak: 2:12pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

U definitely not a businessman. Even if u are, u prolly the one that follows the crowd. This is one selfish write up that neglect the double nature of all businesses, profit is very important so is customer satisfaction which price is a major part of, relative to the economy, DStv price is too damn high and their is a whole lot of ways DStv can generate money to balance cost and gain profit. Just imagine how much profit BBN alone generates for DStv, there is the Voice, Nigerian Idol and they can make variety of others. Setting the right price will definitely increase sales which will definitely increase their income. Are u sure u own a business? Because this mentality won't make u very profitable

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Ournolly: 2:14pm On Jul 15, 2021
Addme:

Yes NCC can regulate but they can not fix prices. Regulations and price fixing are two different things. It's the market forces with competition that fixes price. Can Reps tell the market women how to sell their goods? It's not possible..
Ok
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Bbdot(m): 2:19pm On Jul 15, 2021
Gud development, tstv had started it already
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by CoolAmbience(m): 2:22pm On Jul 15, 2021
Elxandre:

I understand your point.
But if we all switched to pay as you go, their revenue would decline so drastically that there's no way they would be able to pay for TV rights ( which is paid for in dollars that is ever increasing against our Naira).
In fact even in South Africa, I see nothing like payg.
Let's be sincere, it's not going to be feasible.

Perhaps, same way per second billing seemed impossible then.

Have you imagined that their TV rights and other costs is no where close to what obtains in telecoms? So, how come telecos haven't gone underground?

I do not agree with your position.

They can't keep ripping off Nigerians. There is difference between making profit from business and ripping people off, which is what they are doing.

So, if you were in the NASS, this is what you will submit on the floor? Nawa for you o.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by tholhusomhie: 2:26pm On Jul 15, 2021
When will costs of governance (public office holders' salaries packages) be cut? Senseless security vote be stopped etc.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by ibadankeys: 2:34pm On Jul 15, 2021
ntyce:
FAIR ENOUGH...

But all said and done let DSTV also pay it's taxes.
You can't be billing Nigerian " thin" and be evading TAX.

Let me come to defend him.

Dstv isn't the only cable TV platform.

There are several others to choose from.

Benz is sold for 50m, Kia is 6m, will the govt enforce Benz to reduce their price?

Dstv spends billions in acquiring TV deals of the best leagues in the world.
They pay for these rights in USD and GBP, with the ever increasing exchange rate, I was even expecting a price increase from them.

Would you have them drop the quality service they render and operate like other platforms.

What the govt can do is to allows competition challenge DStv.
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Tolani1122(m): 2:36pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

IF YOU CANT AFFORD DSTV THEN GO FOR OTHER CHEAPER ONES! PERIOD. Who tbe hell is this , you must be stupid I'm not sorry to say , I guessed you are not from Nigeria , I'm super sure they are still feeding ur dirty ass.

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by TPound(m): 2:37pm On Jul 15, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright

You are not a real niggarr
The funny thing be say if them even check your account balance now....one naira you nor get

That's harsh

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Wearemoving: 2:38pm On Jul 15, 2021
They should do also in Dangote Cement and others
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by 27Pushing30: 2:42pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

Please keep quiet!

Ever heard of consumer protection council? Why are they there? It’s not about what you can afford it’s what what alternatives you have?

Do you know the spread DSTV are making?

Nigerians and ignorance
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by jopiper(m): 2:47pm On Jul 15, 2021
obiekunie01:

Oguy are you the owner of DSTV? E loud for your ears ba?
No worry, we go reduce am because people like you are not supposed to be part of lawmakers

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by kebliss(m): 2:49pm On Jul 15, 2021
DStv that keeps on repeating programs and movies on their various channels as if they don't have something new to offer.
The PAYG is long over due, let them simply factor in their cost into this billing system.

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by kazma1010(m): 2:51pm On Jul 15, 2021
I hope they implement it oo
Re: Reps Approve Pay-as-you-go, Price Reduction For DSTV, Others by Doyou2019: 2:54pm On Jul 15, 2021
momodub:
Hope them no go run comot for nija
They just might. As it is gan, this country is a hard place to do business,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Download Full Movie: A Trip To Jamaica | By Ay, Funke… / Ilebaye Wins Big Brother Naija All Stars 2023 / "Thin Tall Tony Looks Like Diego Costa" (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.