Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss - Business (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss (43849 Views)

What Business Do You Regret Starting?? / Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In HUGE Lose? / Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by ADude(m): 9:47am On Jul 19, 2021
Blackman7:
Fish farming
boss pls elaborate o am about starting one in my compound abeg
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by ADude(m): 10:19am On Jul 19, 2021
Zealme:
Na fish business I regret why I invested in the business I no see money wey I invested not to talk of gain
abeg wetin happen bro, I wan start so for my house
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by ednut1(m): 11:19am On Jul 19, 2021
ADude:
what happened bro? Pls tell am at the eleventh hour of starting in a weeks time. What went wrong?
staff employed ruined it, water ph of the area wasnt fish friendly. Infection and death of the fishes too.

3 Likes

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 19, 2021
ADude:
What could have caused the disease chief and peradventure in the future how would you prevent the same occurrence? I'm starting few weeks time I need all you could tell me pls

Ask these people that can pump water out of fish ponds to help you apply LIME to the pond. They know the quantity to apply. After about a week, ask them to pump out water where they added LIME again (some people will tell you it is not necessary to pump water out again because as water increases in the pond, the water will dilute the lime so that it won't affect your fish. But I once saw where the lime was not diluted and it killed all fishes).

Use net to cover the pond appropriately to avoid frog and any other predators from entering your pond.

If water is flowing from nearby pond to your pond, seal it because diseases can pass from a pond to another.

Ensure you get your fingerlings or juveniles from a reputable supplier.

For prevention of diseases, add 5kg of salt to the pond every 30 days. If your pond water turns black or is smelling, stop feeding for about 2 days and give half of what can satisfy them until your water becomes normal. You will get this kind of salt from feedmills. It is cheap, not pure iodised salts o.

Mix fishmycin drug to your fish feed to prevent diseases. If you are using floating feeds, add 2g (gramme) to 1kg of feed. Let say you are going to the pond this morning, measure the kg you want to give and mix drug, not that you will add drugs to what they will finish in a week today. If it is pellets you buy from feed Mills, you can also add drugs every morning, but if the feed is made by you, you will add the whole drug at once the day you make it(I will show how to make your own feed). To add drugs to floating feed or pellets you buy from feed Mills, add small water to your feed to make it wet so that powdery drug can stick to it when you mix. Add 2g of fishmycin to 1kg of feed. A sachet of fishmycin is 100g. To measure 2g, divide a sachet into 10. Each portion has 10g. Divide a portion from the 10portions into 5 again, each portion here has 2g. It's rare to get a scale that can measure in grammes. It's advisable you buy juveniles instead of fingerlings because you are just starting and it's not easy to know how to feed fingerlings if you are a new comer. We use SINKER feed for fingerlings. Use 2mm of floating feed for juveniles for about a month. 2mm floating feeds are usually costly especially if you buy imported ones like Alleraqua brand. Nigerian brands are cheap like 3k difference or more, but imported ones are certified quality which will show on rapid growth of your fish.
Use 4mm of floating feed for about a week. Your fish must have grown to be able to pick 4mm pelletized feed.

It's advisable you make your own feed to ensure profit. I will give you formula to use. There are some feed Mills that will do pelletizing for you once you take your ingredients there. You just buy ingredients at accurate quantity you want and take it there. If there is anyone to be grinded, they will grind it, mix it, and pelletize it for you.

Pellets are also sinkers. So when using pellets, you must be careful not to overfeed the fish or leave uneaten feed in the pond. Uneaten feed will pollute your pond water because they will break down. It's you ask someone to show you how to give pellets and floats to the fish in the pond. An experienced person must physically show you how it is done.

Don't use chemicals to kill weeds around your pond. Use cutlasses to cut weeds around your pond because little spray may get into the pond and rain can wash herbicides from weeds into the pond. Some people spray weeds with herbicides and it doesn't affect their catfish, but some did it and it affected their catfish.

During harvesting, buyers will try to dupe you. Ensure a trusted person that knows about catfish sales is there.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Oluwahelpme(m): 11:45am On Jul 19, 2021
DLSReigns:
Unfortunately I have invested in different businesses and have been disappointed largely because I knew little about them and not always available. I will advise that you know much about what you are investing on and be available to drive it with passion to your dream land. My loses were in millions and still I regret till this day. Pls research every aspect so u don't get disappointed. Bless you and good luck.
Let open a Barbing Salon. I'm a professional barber. I will run it perfectly well for you.

2 Likes

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by einsteine(m): 12:34pm On Jul 19, 2021
PhilipReigns:

[s]Just hear yourself talk
A loophole that existing business are not exploiting? Really? so tell me which business thereof that you're going to be the sole originator in a market environment. Any business you intend to open in a particular environment that's unfamiliar in that location probably have no market, hence the reason people aren't exploiting it.

You sound Very amateur and pessimistic when it comes to business and that's the first step to failure in it hence the reason we have so many regrets here. I'm telling you without missing words that food business is a sure ticket to high returns, ignoring the stress that comes with it... it's a business that blossom even if 15 restaurants re located on the same location let alone when it's sited in a student environment. so there's a legislative law restricting certain customers to a particular shop without having to exploit other new ones around, u re obviously not a businessman. Laziness is not an excuse in business. how do u think the Igbos survive in business where 20 igbo men and women will be selling the same items on the same Spot?[/s]

It's "mincing" not missing.

Unlike you, I have ran businesses.

You speak from a position of inexperience. For the Igbo businessmen you talk about, do you know what cartels are? Google the economics of cartel and you would understand what happens if an outsider enters such an industry without the approval of the big players in it. There is a reason most of the people who join this Igbo businessmen in the same industry are those who have been apprentices and are settled to start the same business (usually they are sent to another location different from where they "served" to start their business). I don't expect you to understand (due to lack of both business and thinking experience).

Any business started without a solid USP and a good gap in the market would fail.

3 Likes

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by HRHQueenPhil(f): 12:40pm On Jul 19, 2021
Guys,
I just found out the owner of heavy duty trucks that can carry your metric tonnes of goods is looking for money so if u want to hire trucks to any state in Nigeria and African countries, they will assist u for small money
I tried them and they were so prompt, kept giving me updates till they arrived and careful with my goods..I know my fellow biz pple esp agro commodities crave this kind of service..Holla at me , they are not paying me but I like to tell others good news when I hear..that's how I became a business woman..someone gave me idea too kiss kiss 08112658211

2 Likes

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Zhengi(m): 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2021
Invested in bitcoin when it’s was $21k
I mean some serious 6figures...

You no the rest

But thank God for affiliate marketing

1 Like

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by PhilipReigns(m): 2:37pm On Jul 19, 2021
einsteine:

It's "mincing" not missing.

Unlike you, I have ran businesses.

You speak from a position of inexperience. For the Igbo businessmen you talk about, do you know what cartels are? Google the economics of cartel and you would understand what happens if an outsider enters such an industry without the approval of the big players in it. There is a reason most of the people who join this Igbo businessmen in the same industry are those who have been apprentices and are settled to start the same business (usually they are sent to another location different from where they "served" to start their business). I don't expect you to understand (due to lack of both business and thinking experience).

Any business started without a solid USP and a good gap in the market would fail.

You re the one who is obviously inexperienced here. You sound more like a business administration undergraduate who is still trying to impress his listeners with theoretical knowledge from textbooks and internet explorers far from practical experience and reality, whatever you re being taught in class is different from practical reality my friend. Talking about cartel in Nigerian market where everyone is solely after his personal interest and business growth is d most rediculous thing I have heard in 2021

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by tammyf: 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2021
OKB35:

OK. Are u interested in a partnership?

Please do drop ur cell.will reach out to u
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Oluwahelpme(m): 2:52pm On Jul 19, 2021
adonainana:

I’m available for partnership, two heads are better than one +4475 916 939 24
Let run a Barbing Salon business. I'm an experienced barber.
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Oluwahelpme(m): 2:57pm On Jul 19, 2021
tammyf:
Hmm,this ur number dey fear me....y not use ur normal Nigerian number if u mean business
Let open Barbing Salon. I'm a professional barber. I will run it perfectly. Let do business.
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by adonainana: 3:15pm On Jul 19, 2021
Oluwahelpme:
Let run a Barbing Salon business. I'm an experienced barber.

Hmm it’s a good business but can’t be close to businesses of getting money from people who love to chase what’s between a woman’s legs. Even the oldest profession in the world was born out of it.

People even steal money just to flex and carry women around . So you get my point

1 Like

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Oluwahelpme(m): 3:21pm On Jul 19, 2021
This tread is very funny. Well, I'm into Barbing Salon business. I'm a professional barber. So running the business is not a problem. I need partners/Investors in this business. Kindly WhatsApp me for deal.

1 Like

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by ADude(m): 6:10pm On Jul 19, 2021
YomiOlofin:

Ask these people that can pump water out of fish ponds to help you apply LIME to the pond. They know the quantity to apply. After about a week, ask them to pump out water where they added LIME again (some people will tell you it is not necessary to pump water out again because as water increases in the pond, the water will dilute the lime so that it won't affect your fish. But I once saw where the lime was not diluted and it killed all fishes).

Use net to cover the pond appropriately to avoid frog and any other predators from entering your pond.

If water is flowing from nearby pond to your pond, seal it because diseases can pass from a pond to another.

Ensure you get your fingerlings or juveniles from a reputable supplier.

For prevention of diseases, add 5kg of salt to the pond every 30 days. If your pond water turns black or is smelling, stop feeding for about 2 days and give half of what can satisfy them until your water becomes normal. You will get this kind of salt from feedmills. It is cheap, not pure iodised salts o.

Mix fishmycin drug to your fish feed to prevent diseases. If you are using floating feeds, add 2g (gramme) to 1kg of feed. Let say you are going to the pond this morning, measure the kg you want to give and mix drug, not that you will add drugs to what they will finish in a week today. If it is pellets you buy from feed Mills, you can also add drugs every morning, but if the feed is made by you, you will add the whole drug at once the day you make it(I will show how to make your own feed). To add drugs to floating feed or pellets you buy from feed Mills, add small water to your feed to make it wet so that powdery drug can stick to it when you mix. Add 2g of fishmycin to 1kg of feed. A sachet of fishmycin is 100g. To measure 2g, divide a sachet into 10. Each portion has 10g. Divide a portion from the 10portions into 5 again, each portion here has 2g. It's rare to get a scale that can measure in grammes. It's advisable you buy juveniles instead of fingerlings because you are just starting and it's not easy to know how to feed fingerlings if you are a new comer. We use SINKER feed for fingerlings. Use 2mm of floating feed for juveniles for about a month. 2mm floating feeds are usually costly especially if you buy imported ones like Alleraqua brand. Nigerian brands are cheap like 3k difference or more, but imported ones are certified quality which will show on rapid growth of your fish.
Use 4mm of floating feed for about a week. Your fish must have grown to be able to pick 4mm pelletized feed.

It's advisable you make your own feed to ensure profit. I will give you formula to use. There are some feed Mills that will do pelletizing for you once you take your ingredients there. You just buy ingredients at accurate quantity you want and take it there. If there is anyone to be grinded, they will grind it, mix it, and pelletize it for you.

Pellets are also sinkers. So when using pellets, you must be careful not to overfeed the fish or leave uneaten feed in the pond. Uneaten feed will pollute your pond water because they will break down. It's you ask someone to show you how to give pellets and floats to the fish in the pond. An experienced person must physically show you how it is done.

Don't use chemicals to kill weeds around your pond. Use cutlasses to cut weeds around your pond because little spray may get into the pond and rain can wash herbicides from weeds into the pond. Some people spray weeds with herbicides and it doesn't affect their catfish, but some did it and it affected their catfish.

During harvesting, buyers will try to dupe you. Ensure a trusted person that knows about catfish sales is there.
wow this is one truckloads of good talk, thank you boss. Pls do tell me how to produce my own feeds

1 Like

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by ADude(m): 6:14pm On Jul 19, 2021
ednut1:
staff employed ruined it, water ph of the area wasnt fish friendly. Infection and death of the fishes too.
chain sorry for the loss. I'm running this from my home so staff except adhoc during harvest time is cutoff. And for water pH I've got couple of community neighbours running ponds more like on the side thing for me its a full time ministry, harvesting at least twice in three months. Bless you bro
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by tammyf: 9:48pm On Jul 19, 2021
Oluwahelpme:
Let open Barbing Salon. I'm a professional barber. I will run it perfectly. Let do business.
Are u in ph?
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Zico777(m): 10:46pm On Jul 19, 2021
adonainana:

I’m available for partnership, two heads are better than one +4475 916 939 24
Point of correction bro, not just any head but good heads!
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by adonainana: 11:24pm On Jul 19, 2021
Zico777:

Point of correction bro, not just any head but good heads!

Yh message me on WhatsApp to find out
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Zico777(m): 11:27pm On Jul 19, 2021
adonainana:

Yh message me on WhatsApp to find out
I don't get u
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Theophinio(m): 1:21am On Jul 20, 2021
descarado:

They may not run away but will disappear today, come back with loads of problems tomorrow.
Some do disappear too.

Very True
This is exactly what owners always lament about
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Theophinio(m): 1:26am On Jul 20, 2021
SwTeee:

I gave it out to somebody to manage, but I was always going there to supervise his activities...wat really happened was the person in charge of it wasn't irrigating the farm always
It's was all good at first, then everything went sour, the sun was another factor and the little harvest we got, we could not sell at a good price... Cus tomatoes was relatively cheap then

So sorry
You will get it right this time around
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Oluwahelpme(m): 6:33am On Jul 20, 2021
tammyf:

Are u in ph?
I'm in Lagos. But let chat on WhatsApp.
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by SwTeee(f): 7:00am On Jul 20, 2021
Theophinio:

So sorry
You will get it right this time around
thanks
Next time rather, but it's won't be tomatoes again
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 20, 2021
ADude:
wow this is one truckloads of good talk, thank you boss. Pls do tell me how to produce my own feeds

Drop your mail, bro.
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by ADude(m): 10:58am On Jul 20, 2021
YomiOlofin:

Drop your mail, bro.
simgabglobalbiz@gmail.com
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Theophinio(m): 11:58am On Jul 20, 2021
SwTeee:
thanks
Next time rather, but it's won't be tomatoes again

Alright
Wish you the best
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Paulo3ree(m): 3:49pm On Jul 20, 2021
PhilipReigns:

15k daily, after subtracting fuel and agbero money. No police settlements cos I load at d park, all my papers are complete. Bought my sienna direct tuks (2004 model, second generation Sienna) not some Nigerian used car. So no serious issues besides normal oil change, tyre and other minor things u change in vehicles. Kola (Alagbado) to ibadan @2500 per passenger. 7 seaters Sienna(3 people at d back, 3 at d middle,1 at d front) plus driver(myself) that's 8 passengers total.

₦2500 *7 =₦17500 (*2) multiply that by returning trip, that's 35k total. When I subtract fuel and agbero,food, I still have 15k left to go home with. My wife is a goverment worker, so am able to save 10k daily from it in all things being equal. I go to work everyday, have no Reason to be idling away at home. On Saturdays I get bookings/charter sometimes two families I have to choose one. 70k full day, that covers my Saturday and Sundays earnings, even more than but let's just leave it like that. service my car every 3rd of each month from miscellaneous. ₦6500 for my engine's oil, power steering oil ₦3500(Not everymonth)
Let's do our calculations on my compulsory 10k daily savings only, while ignoring d 5k on top.
10*30 =300k a month.
300*6months= 1.8million (An amount for another very clean Nigerian used sienna)
I doubt seriously what you are saying, don't be offended please

1 Like

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by tammyf: 8:07pm On Jul 20, 2021
Oluwahelpme:
I'm in Lagos. But let chat on WhatsApp.
Drop ur WhatsApp cell
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by tammyf: 8:08pm On Jul 20, 2021
Oluwahelpme:
and when you don't meet up or leave what happens

1 Like

Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by SwTeee(f): 8:47pm On Jul 20, 2021
Theophinio:

Alright
Wish you the best
Thanks
Re: Which Business Did You Regret Starting Because It Ended Up In Huge Loss by Oluwahelpme(m): 8:53pm On Jul 20, 2021
tammyf:
and when you don't meet up or leave what happens
If I'm in full control of the business, I will meet up, and there is nothing like leaving.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

5 Businesses You Can Start With N50,000 In 2019 / Innocent Chukwuma Flown To Lagos In Shorts / Access Bank Acquisition Of Diamond Bank: Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.