Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,289 members, 7,811,865 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? (11302 Views)

Who Really Is Qualify For Heaven / Can Good Exist Without Evil? / Qualification For Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Ephemmm: 1:44pm On Dec 18, 2022
bakobenjamin198:
So, how then can you be in a genuine relationship with Christ without good works?

Good work is part of having genuine relationship with Christ, but not sufficient. Thieves, robbers, and prostitutes are also characterized by good works if you move closer to them.

Read John 3:1-5
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 18, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Let's hear from the Judge of all the Earth, Himself, what He has to say about this:

Matthew 16:27 (KJV)

For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Matthew 25:34-40 (KJV)

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

So if the Words of Jesus, the One who paid the price for man's sin was anything to go by, good works could indeed qualify one for heaven.

God bless.

So why did Christ died for our sins?
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Igba123: 1:48pm On Dec 18, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Jesus Christ Himself told you He was sent to the Lost sheep of Israel. That mission was concluded on the cross when He shed His blood and did to pay the ransome necessary to buying them from the Old Covenant Law which they were born into as Children of Israel. undecided

2. When Jesus Christ defeated Death, after His resurrection, He then threw the gate of the Kingdom of God open to even the Gentiles. undecided

3. Next time, If you see me twist scripture, let me know at that point what you dont understand and I will try to explain what I mean then. Accusing me without substantiation is akin to saying nothing at all? undecided
what exactly do you mean by good work. For me, what determine whether a work is good or not is the law of God. This law was given to Israel by Jehovah teaching them good and bad/evil. Now if it is good work that will determine my being accepted by God, and not my faith in Jesus, what then will be God's basis for determining whether I did His will since he never really have me any command like he gave to Israel?
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Moneyline(m): 1:50pm On Dec 18, 2022
Omooba77:
Does Good Works Qualify One for Heaven?

Many people are looking for TRUE LIVING GOD through MANY WAYS BY CREATING MANY RELIGIONS.

BUT JESUS SAID,

John 14:6
[6]Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by judedwriter(m): 1:52pm On Dec 18, 2022
Omooba77:

Even if a man feeds millions of people every day and dies without Jesus, he is going to hell.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by biremi(m): 1:53pm On Dec 18, 2022
It is only the experience of the cross that qualifies one for heaven
Jesus did two things on the cross
(1)He shed his blood
(2) He died
The shed blood was for the forgiveness of SINS ; one must come to the cross for cleansing from SINS (the wrong and bad actions one had ever taken)
The death was for the deliverance from SIN (it is man's nature that makes him a sinner not his actions!!!... ) So that nature must be reckoned to have died with Christ at his death on the cross
In short forgiveness of SINS and deliverance from SIN must happen in a man's life; that is what is called the cross experience and that is the condition for eternal life for therein abound All the good works as approved by God.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Righteousness2(m): 1:54pm On Dec 18, 2022
bakobenjamin198:
So, how then can you be in a genuine relationship with Christ without good works?

Until you come into a Genuie relationship with JESUS Christ, any good work you are involved in is mere philanthropism. It won't take you to Heaven.
Whatever good you are involved in that does not have a Foundation in JESUS Christ will not take you to Heaven.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by pfadom: 1:55pm On Dec 18, 2022
It is the love of money and not money itself. Obsession for money is the roots of all evil.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Strategical: 1:55pm On Dec 18, 2022
paxonel:
you terribly misunderstood that there is time for everything and that what qualifies people to heaven as at the time Jesus was yet to be crucified is totally different from what qualifies people to heaven today that Jesus has been crucified.

Long after the crucifixion, Paul mentioned

Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

And that stands in Christianity today. It wasn't so at the time before Jesus crucifixion that is why you can afford to quote those scriptures you quoted without this understanding

This your thought pattern is awkwardly interesting.

So you meant whatever Paul said is now superior to the words said by Christ himself?

How does that sound in your ears ���

Have you taken time to read what Christ said about this issue of basis for judgement or qualification for entering the kingdom of God in the book of Revelation? That judgement is going to be according to your deeds?

I am sure you are aware that the revelation was made well after Paul's writings and after Christ's ascension.

Endeavour to study to understand and not be a mere follower of what your Pastor told you.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by brainhgeek(m): 1:57pm On Dec 18, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Let's hear from the Judge of all the Earth, Himself, what He has to say about this:

For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

So if the Words of Jesus, the One who paid the price for man's sin was anything to go by, good works could indeed qualify one for heaven.

God bless.

What kind of reward? If you mean that the reward is eternal life, I think that you are mistaking.
In my opinion, good work is not sufficient to take guarantee salvation. What guarantees salvation is confessing Jesus.
Good works is the basis for rewards for those who are already saved. We shall not all receive the same reward (Matthew 16:27) even if we all are saved by a common grace. Everyone's works will be tested by fire. It doesn't mean that we will all be cast into the lake of fire. Our works will be made to stand the test of God.
We as humans do not really know what qualifies as good works. Most of our works qualify as show-offs. Such will be revealed by the flame of God's test. That's why Jesus told rich man in Mark 10;18 that he should call no man 'good' only God is good.

The good work we try to do with the energy of our flesh is nothing if it is not inspired by God. It is God who works in us, both to will and to do, of His good pleasure (Philippians 2:13). The works we do with the energy of our flesh is to seek personal glory, recognition, or to amass sentiments from people. I feel safe to also say that when we do 'good works' because we think we will receive a reward from God, it is also in that category. Of course,God has a reputation for rewarding good works, especially those that are done in secret, yet,the basis of good works is as it sounds, because it is the 'good' and proper thing to do.
This is my very humble submission sir/ma
[/b]
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Igba123: 1:58pm On Dec 18, 2022
teeshet:
so how will God judge people of other religions who never came to know christ?
the kingdom will not come until the good news is preached as a witness to every part of the earth. As a witness against those who reject the savior (Christ). Not every body will accept. So we persuade people but don't force anybody to accept Christ.
"The wages (reward for) of sin is death but the GIFT of God is eternal life THROUGH Jesus Christ our Lord."
Eternal life is not a reward for work done but gift. That doesn't mean that God wouldn't reward good works.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Moneyline(m): 2:02pm On Dec 18, 2022
Omooba77:

NO, IT IS BY ACCEPTING JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR SAVIOR AND REPENT FROM YOUR WICKEDNESS.

John 3:3
[3] Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by leofab(f): 2:03pm On Dec 18, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Jesus Christ Himself told you He was sent to the Lost sheep of Israel. That mission was concluded on the cross when He shed His blood and did to pay the ransome necessary to buying them from the Old Covenant Law which they were born into as Children of Israel. undecided

2. When Jesus Christ defeated Death, after His resurrection, He then threw the gate of the Kingdom of God open to even the Gentiles. undecided

3. Next time, If you see me twist scripture, let me know at that point what you dont understand and I will try to explain what I mean then. Accusing me without substantiation is akin to saying nothing at all? undecided
I thought we all néed the intervention of the Holy Spirit to understand the Bible.. so why are you both arguing.. or does it mean the Holy Spirit have you both different versions ?
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by themanderon: 2:14pm On Dec 18, 2022
If good works alone was all that was needed then Christ would not have sent Peter to that Roman soldier Cornelius. Except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. It is also written that our righteousness is like a filthy rag before God.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Strategical: 2:20pm On Dec 18, 2022
tctrills:

Please read the following

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

John 2:2 And He Himself is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

Jesus died for all mankind. This is what the scriptures teach will happen to all mankind…

1 Cor 15:22 "as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.

1 Tim 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

All you have quoted are things said about Christ by others like Paul, John etc while you refused to believe the things or statements the bible recorded to have been said by Christ Himself while on earth about the determinant of judgement.

Pray for understanding and learn to rate the words of Christ above what others said about or on behalf of him.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by fombi: 2:40pm On Dec 18, 2022
No man or woman can be good enough. You also have to believe in Jeusu Christ.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by greatermeme: 2:45pm On Dec 18, 2022
You don't really understand Christianity: good works alone can NEVER qualify one for Heaven. The asker wants to know if those who don't believe in the Resurrection of Jesus can enter Heaven. The answer is a short "NO!" After the Rapture had take place, those who died before Jesus Christ will be resurrected and the great Tribulations will start. After that, JUDGMENT DAY
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Truvelisback(m): 2:46pm On Dec 18, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ did not die for your sins but instead for the sins of the Lost sheep of Israel, the ones who He was sent to. undecided

According to Jesus Christ, your works is what will decide whether you will enter into Heaven or not.- Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46 - that is what will be judged on that "last day". undecided
What does John3:16 say? For God so Love the world(not only the lost Sheep of Isreal) that He gave His only begotten son, that Whosoever(anyone who) believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by peculiar2233: 2:47pm On Dec 18, 2022
Good work is good but this what Jesus said when he was asked the same question.

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God'
John 3:3

That's will help you out 100%
Ire ooo
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by akaleb2015(m): 2:48pm On Dec 18, 2022
No
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Truvelisback(m): 2:52pm On Dec 18, 2022
Righteousness2:

Until you come into a Genuie relationship with JESUS Christ, any good work you are involved in is mere philanthropism. It won't take you to Heaven.
Whatever good you are involved in that does not have a Foundation in JESUS Christ will not take you to Heaven.

Faith without work is dead. Good works are parts of genuine christians lives. However, good works can't save u except u accept Jesus as ur Lord and personal saviour. Jesus is the only ticket, gatepass or password to heaven.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by paxonel(m): 2:57pm On Dec 18, 2022
gentlegenius:

When correcting another person, do not be too harsh, else you make mistake and expose your own ignorance.
ok,
Do you know the fellow i corrected, what will you say about him ?

Romans 3:28 say that a person is justified (put right with God) through faith. This is the same thing as saying Salvation comes through faith in Christ.
absolutely correct, this is the point i was making that the fellow i corrected totally ignored

But what you fail to understand is that the condition for Salvation/justification is different from the conditions for making heaven.
how?

That is because Salvation doesn't mean making heaven.
do you have any sscrcripture in support of this?

Salvation means being saved from the power or effects of sin.
any scripture?

It comes through faith in Christ. The same Romans 3 verse 31 says: "Does this means that by this faith we do away with the Law? No, not at all. Instead, we uphold the Law."
do we combine both Faith and the law or we separate the two?
Because, it seems the fellow i corrected is trying to combine the two

The same Paul who wrote this epistle also said that Faith without action(works) is dead.
let's say the truth!
Paul cannot say one thing in Romans 3:28 only to come back and say a contradictive view of that same thing in James 2: 14

That's why I ask do we separate the two?
Because any attempt to combine the two tantamount to contradiction

As far as making heaven is the topic of this thread, the person you corrected earlier was right.
no!
He was woefully wrong, he contradicts himself

Jesus himself told us that when he comes (future tense) to judge the world, he will REWARD us according to our works , so time doesn't change anything about this. Before Jesus died, the yardstick he said he will use to reward us WHEN HE COMES is still the same today because he is still yet to come.
Assuming you have a brother that travelled to America about 15 years ago, and before he left, he promised to buy you a car immediately he comes back. Now, your community had developed over the years, and the government had built an airport there. So because times and things had changed will you start believing that when your brother comes back he will buy you an aeroplane? Even if he will do this, God is not a man that can change. What he said he will do when he comes, is exactly what he will do.

Take note of this...
Salvation is different from making heaven. Salvation is achieved through faith, while you are still alive... Heaven is achieved through your good works when you have finished your life.
A certain rich man once asked Jesus: "What shall I do to enter the kingdom of God?" Jesus gave him only two conditions: 1. Keep the commandments.
2. Sell your riches and use the money to help the poor.
In summary, keep the law and do good works. Those fake preachers who tell you to ignore the law and good work and just have faith in Christ are the ones spoiling this world.
BE WISE!
Anyway, just address my response first
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by tctrills: 3:12pm On Dec 18, 2022
Strategical:

All you have quoted are things said about Christ by others like Paul, John etc while you refused to believe the things or statements the bible recorded to have been said by Christ Himself while on earth about the determinant of judgement.

Pray for understanding and learn to rate the words of Christ above what others said about or on behalf of him.
All of you are the same. The average Nairaland Christian would instruct anyone that disagrees with him to pray for understanding.
You Nairaland boys never change.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by skuribeebo: 3:15pm On Dec 18, 2022
ikes9:
NO
Good works doesn't qualify anyone for Heaven
If good works was all we needed to enter Heaven then Christ didn't have to come to die for our sins,but the problem isn't our 'works' but our nature
Christ came to die for us,so we could be birthed into a new nature (Christ's nature/identity),after being born again our works now become Valid

But faith in Christ is what gets us to Heaven
Christ without good work can not take you to heaven.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by TenQ: 3:38pm On Dec 18, 2022
lereinter:

Are you a Christian? I'm asking because of your previous thread
Of course I am a Christian, saved by His Grace through His Blood on the cross!

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by paxonel(m): 4:06pm On Dec 18, 2022
Strategical:

This your thought pattern is awkwardly interesting.
Anything is possible!
You this thing call bible, one need to be very meticulous and extra careful.
If one misses the key message in one, he may end up loosing it all

So you meant whatever Paul said is now superior to the words said by Christ himself?
what words of Jesus?
Be specific

How does that sound in your ears ���

Have you taken time to read what Christ said about this issue of basis for judgement or qualification for entering the kingdom of God in the book of Revelation? That judgement is going to be according to your deeds?
post the scripture here let's analyse what you are saying

I am sure you are aware that the revelation was made well after Paul's writings and after Christ's ascension.

Endeavour to study to understand and not be a mere follower of what your Pastor told you.
exactly what he should do
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Holy2Glory: 4:14pm On Dec 18, 2022
Faith is the criteria for been saved. When I say faith I mean faith in the Lordship of Jesus Christ, not faith in your little Amadioha or Ogun. However, good works can earn you great crown or rewards in heaven. It's not all that make heaven will be rewarded. It's only those who has live in doing
good
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Holy2Glory: 4:16pm On Dec 18, 2022
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Olatara(f): 4:52pm On Dec 18, 2022
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.
Thank you for this. I wanted to reply that guy that said No. But I won't anymore.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by remsonik(f): 4:55pm On Dec 18, 2022
There's no good works without faith in christ. Accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your lord and personal savior. Walk in his ways and follow his words, do good works and you will find your name in the book of life
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by MrDebonair: 5:59pm On Dec 18, 2022
Righteousness or Good work alone is not the only criteria.
Start from:
Acceptance of Jesus as Lord and Saviour.
Repent from Sins.
Pursue peace with all men and Live a holy life.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by FarmTech(m): 6:31pm On Dec 18, 2022
Good works without being born again is useless. First be born again. After that good works follows. We will be rewarded according to our works. Some people will be poor in Gods kingdom.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. / Why Is There So Much Suffering On Earth? / 16 "gods" that share the same story with jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.