Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? (11341 Views)

Who Really Is Qualify For Heaven / Can Good Exist Without Evil? / Qualification For Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by wunmi590(m): 9:27am On Dec 18, 2022
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Vintage100(m): 9:33am On Dec 18, 2022
DropsMic:

Would you have typed this if you were brought up in a muslum home?

What a savage reply. If good work can't make us make heaven, then all muslims and all non-Jesus followers will go to hell.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by phemmyfour: 9:34am On Dec 18, 2022
Omooba77:
Does Good Works Qualify One for Heaven?
No, Cornelius good work wasn't good enough

Act 10

34Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right. 36You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. 37You know what has happened

3 Likes

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Sharonstone7719: 9:36am On Dec 18, 2022
Yes, they go hand and hand with faith

If ones faith doesn't produce works, then it is a dead faith that doesn't save

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by meobizy(f): 9:37am On Dec 18, 2022
I'll tell you when I get there and they promote me to captain.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Rechargeam247(f): 9:38am On Dec 18, 2022
NO.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Vintage100(m): 9:41am On Dec 18, 2022
livingchrist:
God is the one who brings people to Christ. It is not human will. Anyone who wants the truth would be brought to Christ.

Many Christians were born in a different religion but God called them out, my grand mother is an example she was born and raised in idolatry all her life but before she died God brought her out to recieve christ, so those who are God's own no matter the religion or culture or times in which they were born will come to know Christ for it is God's doing.

Does it mean all muslims of the word and non-Christians must accept Christ before they can make heaven??

Many people practice religion, yes, but the question is, do they indeed seek God?

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by SocialJustice: 9:42am On Dec 18, 2022
Omooba77:
No and the heaven you're trying to qualify for does not exist.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by KaLuCh: 9:44am On Dec 18, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The simple answer is that the vast majority of those who are of the lost sheep of Israel also happen to be gentiles, many of them unaware that their ancestors were descended from the blood of Jacob. undecided
undecided

What I've noticed about you is this, no matter what question or point someone raises, you always without fail, oppose. If this OP's question was phrased differently, you'd still pick the opposite opinion and find scriptures you can twist and hammer to fit. It's not necessarily about the question or facts. It's just who you are.

There are several scriptures, from the prophets of old to the apostles, even words of Christ himself to prove that Jesus' works of salvation extends to the Gentiles and that after his death, Jews and Gentiles became one in him.

Scripturally, good works are good but neither bring salvation nor take one to heaven. Believing in the finished works of Christ and confessing Jesus as Lord brings salvation. This applies to all mankind, Jew or not. And anyone with any knowledge of the scriptures like you claim to have, knows many verses in the Bible to back this up. You are just mischievously leaving out these many verses and cherry picking others to suite your warped interpretation of the truth.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by almelo3: 9:50am On Dec 18, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Let's hear from the Judge of all the Earth, Himself, what He has to say about this:

Matthew 16:27 (KJV)

For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Matthew 25:34-40 (KJV)

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

So if the Words of Jesus, the One who paid the price for man's sin was anything to go by, good works could indeed qualify one for heaven.

God bless.
Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
John 3:3 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/jhn.3.3.NKJV

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by tunde4top(m): 9:53am On Dec 18, 2022
No for salvation.

Christianity results to two things:
1. Salvation: This cannot be worked for as it is a free gift for humanity. A gift for those that "believe" in the sin sacrifice of Jesus (death, burial and resurrection of Jesus) called "The Gospel of Jesus"

Romans 10:9 That if thou shall confess with thou mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God raised him from the death, thou shall be saved.

Ephesians 2: 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.
Verse 9: not a result of works, so that no one may boost.

2. "Rewards": While salvation is a free gift (Jesus's doing), rewards are worked for. Jesus in his second coming will judge and reward all believers (those that are saved) according to their works (good deeds) after being saved and this will determine the capacity glory of your celestial body for ethernity.

1Corinthian 15:40 There are also celestial bodies and terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial differs from that of the terrestrial. There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory.

1Corintian 3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour

So never mix Bible instructions on Rewards with that of Salvation.

Jesus's judgement of believers (for rewards) is different from that of the non believers (second death)

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by tctrills: 9:54am On Dec 18, 2022
ikes9:
NO
Good works doesn't qualify anyone for Heaven
If good works was all we needed to enter Heaven then Christ didn't have to come to die for our sins,but the problem isn't our 'works' but our nature
Christ came to die for us,so we could be birthed into a new nature (Christ's nature/identity),after being born again our works now become Valid

But faith in Christ is what gets us to Heaven
We would be judged by our works. Please read Matthew 25.
If you good works alone does not qualify us for heaven I would agree.
But Good works are an important qualification.
The sacrifice of Jesus Christ is a free gift to all men but good works is what we would be judged upon.

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by tctrills: 9:56am On Dec 18, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ did not die for your sins but instead for the sins of the Lost sheep of Israel, the ones who He was sent to. undecided

According to Jesus Christ, your works is what will decide whether you will enter into Heaven or not.- Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46 - that is what will be judged on that "last day". undecided
He actually died for the world. For God so love the world that he sent his only son to save the world.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by gab4cha: 9:59am On Dec 18, 2022
If you don't believe you will wake up tomorrow then you will do everything to stay awake through the night, and will not bother doing any good works for tomorrow. So also as many that will not believe in the finished work of Christ for eternal life they will live their life in such a manner that eternal death will be assured as well.

So, no because without faith in God good works could as well be trickery.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by herbert2017: 10:00am On Dec 18, 2022
Good works without Christ is useless
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by tctrills: 10:02am On Dec 18, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The simple answer is that the vast majority of those who are of the lost sheep of Israel also happen to be gentiles, many of them unaware that their ancestors were descended from the blood of Jacob. undecided

Indeed, Jesus Christ's mission is to the lost sheep of Israel, Israel's children who were scattered, by God, to all the ends of the earth - to every tribe, every tongue, and every nation out there.
The lost sheep of Israel are gentiles too who have the blood of Jacob in them. And they are to be found in every nation. That is what God said make clear even right in His Law of Moses. He would scatter them, and He would, later on, gather them back when the time is right. So, as Jesus Christ made clear through His teachings and the fact that He called His followers to be fishers of men implying that He did not come for everyone, He is indeed sent only to the lost sheep of Israel, and the man standing right next to you right this minute could be one of them. undecided
Please read the following

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

John 2:2 And He Himself is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

Jesus died for all mankind. This is what the scriptures teach will happen to all mankind…

1 Cor 15:22 "as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.

1 Tim 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Nobody: 10:10am On Dec 18, 2022
No. Read the story of Cornelius. Cornelius was a very good man. He did so many good works that even God recognized him as a very good man but one thing was lacking. Salvation. He didn't know Christ and that is whom he needs to make heaven.

God seeing that his good works are not enough to qualify him for heaven had to send Peter in a vision to preach Christ to him which Peter did and he and all his household got born again and were baptized in Christ.

Now, Eventhough God was pleased with his good works, he felt there was still need for him to come through the right medium which is Christ the only way, the truth and the life. Any one who comes through any other medium is seen as a thief.

3 Likes

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by youngbabaj(m): 10:19am On Dec 18, 2022
U're only a Christian cos u were colonised by Europeans,you'd be a Muslim if u were colonised by Arabs,let's not debate that religion is geographic.Had u been colonised by the Chinese,you'd be kneeling in front of a Bhuda statue,so b4 pretending to know
God,be a gud person first!

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by MrBroke(m): 10:23am On Dec 18, 2022
Which heaven. Have you been there??
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Germi9: 10:24am On Dec 18, 2022
No!! Good deeds alone will not qualify one to heaven for Christ has said it that he is the way the truth and Life,no one cometh unto the father unless through him…
Hence we must accept Christ as our Lord and savior to have access to the kingdom of God

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by veneza(f): 10:29am On Dec 18, 2022
Act2:38 say repent and be baptize,for the forgiveness of sin and ye shall receive the gift of the holy spirit.
No matter your good works on earth if sin remains in you there is no way you can make heaven, because sin indicates that you are property of the and nothing that defiled shall enter into heaven.
You sin needs to purged out through baptism and shall receive the gift of eternal life which made available for all repented souls which is the seed of God that qualifies you for heaven. It's your identification it is called eternal life, agape love, righteousness,the word of God and is name is Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Ferdinandu(m): 10:33am On Dec 18, 2022
Religion thrives on feeding mostly imaginary fears into your head and then turning around telling you they have the solution to that fears. Live your full life on Earth with disciplined ambition, empathy for your fellow human. If you can't fathom where you were before you were born same way when you die you will go into oblivion. Nothing else. You came into this world they fed you stories you just believe without question. There are 8 billion people in the world at least 7 billion of those are not following or might not have heard about the tenets of religion which they tell you, following it strictly is the route to your heaven.other religion has their own version of heaven, what makes you think your own is right, while theirs is wrong. The pastor telling you about heaven is more busy accumulating the best things of life than preparing for the heaven he is telling you about because deep down he is not sure of what he is saying. The Idea of heaven is just used to curtailed man's excesses.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Sleekfingers: 10:51am On Dec 18, 2022
Omooba77:

What makes you think heaven exist?
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by DeOTR: 10:57am On Dec 18, 2022
I don't know if this can be qualified to be "good works", but it's the definition of a Christian, the quality of a candidate of heaven.
Revelation 14:12 ...they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by CrownFemi: 11:14am On Dec 18, 2022
ikes9:
NO
Good works doesn't qualify anyone for Heaven
If good works was all we needed to enter Heaven then Christ didn't have to come to die for our sins,but the problem isn't our 'works' but our nature
Christ came to die for us,so we could be birthed into a new nature (Christ's nature/identity),after being born again our works now become Valid

But faith in Christ is what gets us to Heaven

This is not what Christ preached. Please, read Matthew 19 vs 21 and stop spreading Lies......
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by johhbekeboh09: 11:15am On Dec 18, 2022
NO!!!
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by jnrbayano(m): 11:16am On Dec 18, 2022
Obeying Jesus by doing all he asks us to do and staying away from what he does not approve qualifies us for heaven

Jesus asks us to do good works and we read that all his earthly life he did good works and didn't do evil

Therefore, those good works Jesus did and also asked us to emulate will qualify us to heaven if we obey and do as Jesus has asked

This is simple

1 Like

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by TenQ: 11:16am On Dec 18, 2022
Bola146:
Who are we to judge? God is just unquestionable! Just do your good deeds and follow His instructions in the Bible not men's instructions, then ask for mercy
John 3:14-19:
"And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believes on him is not condemned: but he that believes not is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil."

Eph 2:8-9:
"For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

My sister, the way of salvation is CLEARLY spelt out!

2 Likes

Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by xevove2061: 11:18am On Dec 18, 2022
Omooba77:

No!
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by CrownFemi: 11:21am On Dec 18, 2022
CodeTemplar:
If I take N100k from Mr À fraudulently and use just N30k of it to help Mr B and Mrs C, have I done a good work?

Good works is part of it but righteousness, faith and godliness cannot be compromised to do seemingly good works.

What is the difference between righteousness, godliness and good work?
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by Olaolex: 11:23am On Dec 18, 2022
ikes9:

We move
I really commend you maturity sir. That guy doesn't deserve further explanations. He doesn't have the capacity to comprehend simple english. He still does not have spiritual understanding. He wants to understand the scripture with canal mind. He only reads the bible to have head knowledge. Once again thanks for ignoring him
Re: Can Good Works Qualify One For Heaven? by bakobenjamin198: 11:27am On Dec 18, 2022
Righteousness2:
Good works are good , will open ways for you ,but will not give u Eternal Life in Heaven.

Eternal Life in Heaven is simple. A Genuie relationship with JESUS Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven.
So, how then can you be in a genuine relationship with Christ without good works?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Former Pastor Says ''Jesus Is Not Coming Back!'' / What Is The Spiritual Effect Of Sleeping With A Woman On Period / Kumuyi ABA Crusade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.