Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,305 members, 7,815,553 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada (40637 Views)

Buhari Approves $2.4bn For Construction Of Red Line Rail In Lagos / Lagos Light Rail Project To Be Completed By Dec 2016 – Ambode / "We Can't Complete Lagos Light Rail Project" - Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Iysayah(m): 8:30pm On May 16, 2011
Donlittle:

419 no de tire you?wen do dey start scoring 2000 on sat
LMAO. dont mind the Pro, just at his best.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 8:33pm On May 16, 2011
Donlittle:

419 no de tire you?wen do dey start scoring 2000 on sat

lmao, you know, that got me laughing like crazyy.

mehn, the kind of crazy stuff you read on NL sometimes.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Akosbaba(m): 8:35pm On May 16, 2011
if only a quarter of our politicians can be this visionary,if this was a pr stunt,he would have done this during the elections.thumbs up fash
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by HamidO1(m): 8:35pm On May 16, 2011
Tokotaya:

Good to know a governor knows what needs to be done, has an idea what he wants to do, and best of all, is doing them. Many roam about aimlessly for four years

Roam about aimlessly stealing anything they come across, it's that bad. Most of them are clueless, Fashola is the man.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Nobody: 8:39pm On May 16, 2011
Eko Ile:

lmao, you know, that got me laughing like crazyy.

mehn, the kind of crazy stuff you read on NL sometimes.
looool, NLAND is the best place to be, u have fun and u learn, but the crazy part can really make u go numb, 2000? i was like wtf, even obama, didnt had thatt, lol
Iysayah:

LMAO. dont mind the Pro, just at his best.
n he talking bout visas too, all those country, only u? haahaha, i they laugh
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 8:44pm On May 16, 2011
Laajman:

Its amazing how this thread is turning into an arena for ethnic bashing.

A rail system for Lagos is definitely over-due. I can't think of any mega-cities that do not have a rail system.
Undoubtedly, this would take off some pressure from the roads.
Even Toronto, whose model we are probably copying, with a population less than <7million has a rail system.
Interestingly, they've had their since the 60's- when their population was less than 1 million,  enuff said.

Should BRF get the thumbs up for pulling this off? Not really.
In fact, I may be wrong, but I think he is somewhat over-rated. Maybe its because we've gotten accustomed to terrible leadership.

With a monthly revenue >20bb - and growing, I don't expect any less from BRF.

Toronto is a fully developed city and has been for over 100 years and all they are doing is maintaining and upgrading while Lagos state is not even a developed state and is basically starting from scratch.

Lagos is still trying to get out of decades of neglect and rot with a lousy 2 billion dollars yearly budget to service 18 million people and many more trooping in everyday against Toronto's 9 billion dollars yearly budget for just 2 million people and already developed infrastructure.

You people really need to stop with the comedy and start balancing your thoughts rationally with facts and common sense, you are not debating dummies and ignorant people, we have access to facts and figures to handle your half backed thoughts and misguided assertions.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 16, 2011
Eko Ile:

Toronto is a fully developed city and has been for over 100 years and all they are doing is maintaining and upgrading while Lagos state is not even a developed state and is basically starting from scratch.

Lagos is still trying to get out of decades of neglect and rot with a lousy 2 billion dollars yearly budget to service 18 million people and many more trooping in everyday against Toronto's 9 billion dollars yearly budget for just 2 million people and already developed infrastructure.

You people really need to stop with the comedy and start balancing your thoughts rationally with facts and common sense, you are not debating dummies and ignorant people, we have access to facts and figures to handle your half backed thoughts and misguided assertions.

oh man, u made a mistake common sense is not common or he get sense like common sense, he no get sense like sense (what fela said) lol grin grin grin grin grin undecided undecided undecided cool cool
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by nazzyon(m): 8:49pm On May 16, 2011
It is a free world,

Every tenure in Nigeria lasts for 4 years,  The Governorship slot will be open to anyone who believe he/she can deliver in Lagos State.

Starting a Rail Cab Manufacturing company  is not an easy task, So is buying the bullet train or any of the modern trains.

To beginning with buying expensive trains will mean so many things,

Total overhauling of rail tracks = Billions + the bullet train has its own dedicated track

Expenses = Increase in tax, lots of investment.

Consequences of constructing a High Speed rail track - Demolishing of buildings close to the rail track which mean most of the people residing close to rail tracks has to relocate. Has anyone thought of about it?

I am sure some of the people who seems to be lambasting the state government's move resides close to the rail tracks.

If the relocation is not done many people will die not necessarily from train accidents

Have you ever been pushed backwards by the wind because a truck is passing by?

The effect a train speeding past you will have will be 50x more than that of the truck.

I can continue to like this but I do know that many will turn deaf ears and continue to criticize the government on this matter.

NOTE: Criticism helps to derive positive results

A lot of things has to be considered before we will achieve such heights besides how long are the rail tracks anyway.

What is the essence of having a High Speed train in a community where speed will be of no use to commuters?
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Nobody: 8:53pm On May 16, 2011
good move my Fash but personally I don't UK is the place to go for something like this. The transport system in UK is frinking expensive he should have gone to place like Netherlands, Belgium where the transport system is not only efficient but about the cheapest in Europe. He should also try and find out how they manage to charge little to nothing and still maintain an efficient rail/road transport system. I think Lagos state needs a transport system that is not only efficient but also cheap.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Nobody: 8:55pm On May 16, 2011
woodcook:

good move my Fash but personally I don't UK is the place to go for something like this. The transport system in UK is frinking expensive he should have gone to place like Netherlands, Belgium where the transport system is not only efficient but about the cheapest in Europe. He should also try and find out how they manage to charge little to nothing and still maintain an efficient rail/road transport system. I think Lagos state needs a transport system that is not only efficient but also cheap.
no DIDNT GO to UK, did you read, did canada and Uk, amalgamate? wait or i dey dream??
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Laajman(m): 9:02pm On May 16, 2011
@ Eko Ile

I find your response to my post interesting, but fail to see your point. Mine is simple- a rail system is long overdue. Even if the LSG's budget was under a $2bb, it could still execute this project while spending very little- I imagine you're familiar with PPP.

FYI- Toronto's rail system serves about 7 million people - the balance being from neighboring cities.

I'd ignore your insults, and leave you to address the issues.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 9:18pm On May 16, 2011
Laajman:

@ Eko Ile

I find your post interesting, but fail to see your point. Mine is simple- a rail system is long overdue. Even if the LSG's budget was under a $2bb, it could still execute this project while spending very little- I imagine you're familiar with PPP.

FYI- Toronto's rail system serves about 7 million people - the balance being from neighboring cities.

I'd ignore your insults, and leave you to address the issues.

Just read your own pointless post.

Your 2 billion is not enough to service 18 million people with almost zero infrastructure.

I don't see how comparing a fully developed city like Toronto with existing and up to date infrastructure, 9 billion dollars budget with just 2 million people with a state like Lagos with just 2 billion dollars that's not even enough to do anything after paying the state's teachers, state civil service, vendors, build hospitals, schools, roads and bridges, pay utilities and a million of other state responsibilities.

Many of you hear 20 billion/2billion dollars and go crazy without even balancing it against the state's population and obligations.

Btw,

what do you mean by : FYI- Toronto's rail system serves about 7 million people - the balance being from neighboring cities.?

The population is 2 million and the neighboring cities have their own rail and transit systems so what's your point. You figures don't add up, please stop spinning rubbish to justify your half backed thoughts, Again, you are not talking to dummies.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Laajman(m): 9:38pm On May 16, 2011
Interesting that you label yourself a dummy.

You wrongly assumed I was comparing the economies of Lagos and Toronto. My point was simple- Lagos population is >2x Toronto's. Toronto has a functional rail system. Lagos should too. Simple. Thats where the comparison ended.

I imagine you did a quick google search and came up with your figures. Toronto's population is about 2million- correct.
But if you had drilled down, you'd discover that most of the folks in the surrounding town & cities (called the GTA) work in Toronto,
or have reason to visit Toronto very frequently. Hence the 7million figure. Neigboring town&cities have their own transit systems, but these are bus systems and not rail systems.

I was hoping you'd harp on the PPP lead I gave you. I had hoped you would enlighten us on how the Lekki Toll road is panning out, and lessons to be learnt therefrom. I was hoping you touch on how BRF has improved the state's IGR, and give us some insight on how the LSG could widen its tax net. I was hoping you suggest that LSG could possibly float a bond for this project, and it would be oversubscribed.

Instead, you came up with well-worn cliches, and suggested that you're a dummy. I couldn't agree more. wink
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by debosky(m): 9:58pm On May 16, 2011
Laajman:

You wrongly assumed I was comparing the economies of Lagos and Toronto. My point was simple- Lagos population is >2x Toronto's. Toronto has a functional rail system. Lagos should too. Simple. Thats where the comparison ended.

I imagine you did a quick google search and came up with your figures. Toronto's population is about 2million- correct.
But if you had drilled down, you'd discover that most of the folks in the surrounding town & cities (called the GTA) work in Toronto,
or have reason to visit Toronto very frequently. Hence the 7million figure. Neigboring town&cities have their own transit systems, but these are bus systems and not rail systems.

Wrong answer - if you have lived in Toronto and environs, you'd know that beyond the TTC and the Toronto rail systems, the GO transit system also exists, primarily to serve the neighbouring towns and cities. Your assertion on that count is wrong. The Toronto's suburbs and neighbours do not rely solely on bus systems.

I was hoping you'd harp on the PPP lead I gave you. I had hoped you would enlighten us on how the Lekki Toll road is panning out, and lessons to be learnt therefrom. I was hoping you touch on how BRF has improved the state's IGR, and give us some insight on how the LSG could widen its tax net. I was hoping you suggest that LSG could possibly float a bond for this project, and it would be oversubscribed.

Why are you so sure a bond for this project would be oversubscribed? Let's assume it was - what rate of return above inflation would be required? Who would foot the bill for paying for the system years later on?

When the existing PPP for the Lekki Toll Road is still running into difficulties, why are you so blasé in assuming that investor appetite for such a project would lead to oversubscription?

If we were to wait for a widened tax net, how long would it take to generate enough revenue to build systems to the standard you expect?
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by largie(f): 10:02pm On May 16, 2011
@dayokanu,I support you jo.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by vislabraye(m): 10:07pm On May 16, 2011
I hope the project will be a success. . . We need a rail system of transport. At least a lot of agberos will be out of work, people will go to work faster. But Nigeria as a country, I fear our maintainence culture. If for instance there is a break down, do we know how to tackle it? I look forward to it anyway
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by MeGaStReEt: 10:17pm On May 16, 2011
[size=13pt]Adam Oshiomole leave Mercy Johnson aloneeeeeeee and do your job as a Gov'no. abi you no dey see wetin Fash dye do for Lag?[/size]
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 10:24pm On May 16, 2011
Laajman:

[b]You wrongly assumed I was comparing the economies of Lagos and Toronto. [/b]My point was simple- Lagos population is >2x Toronto's. Toronto has a functional rail system. Lagos should too. Simple. Thats where the comparison ended.

I was hoping you'd harp on the PPP lead I gave you.  I had hoped you would enlighten us on how the Lekki Toll road is panning out, and lessons to be learnt therefrom. I was hoping you touch on how BRF has improved the state's IGR, and give us some insight on how the LSG could widen its tax net. I was hoping you suggest that LSG could possibly float a bond for this project, and it would be oversubscribed.

Instead, you came up with well-worn cliches, and suggested that you're a dummy. I couldn't agree more. wink

Please tell us what you were doing by listing budgets, figures and population from both states? Answer and see why you sound like a dummy. Why are you comparing a fully developed city like Toronto with 9 billion dollars with an undeveloped state like LAGOS/18million people and a lousy 2 billion dollars budget? It makes no damns sense.

Btw,

Do you have  figures from Toronto transit authority addressing your 7 million people argument?

Are we talking about 7 million a day or yearly? Again, stop talking rubbish, the fact that other cities around Toronto have there own mass transit systems means less utilization of Toronto transportation system?

What's all the stuff like tax, lekki and bonds got to do with this argument? Just what do you want me to get?
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Laajman(m): 10:31pm On May 16, 2011
@debosky
That's what I'm talking about. Discuss the real issues. Btw, I goofed by leaving out the GO transit one. Yeah, its there but the GTA folks couldnt do without the TTC if they've got to move around T. Anyway, thats besides the point.

Who'd be footing the bill? Without a doubt, it'd be you and me. Users of  would definitely foot the bill when "we pay-as-we-go". Would we pay more for a faster transit system, or be content with the status quo? Imagine hopping on a train at Badagry, and landing on the Marina about an hour later?

Hiccups with the Lekki Toll road. Obviously, there are lessons to be learnt from that experience, and applied to future projects. LSG cannot fund this project by itself. There has to be some private sector participation. Despite the hiccups, which are to be expected anyway, Lagos remains an attractive market with its booming population. A rail system for Lagos, by any stretch of the imagination, would be a viable project- if properly planned and executed.

@ Eko Ile "What's all the stuff like tax, lekki and bonds got to do with this argument? Just what do you want me to get?"
You might want to get off the thread now. This might be a bit too complicated for you.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 10:35pm On May 16, 2011
vislabraye:

I hope the project will be a success. . . We need a rail system of transport.  At least  a lot of agberos will be out of work, people will go to work faster. But Nigeria as a country, I fear our maintainence culture.  If for instance there is a break down, do we know how to tackle it? I look forward to it anyway

Well, maintenance is always a major issue in a country like ours, but going by Lagos state's approach to what they are spending their money one, I thing they are doing things differently.

Also, the state is not directly responsible for the maintenance, the operators and investors have a lot at state and will do anything to keep the trains moving because their bread and butter and ability to recoup their investments rests on every train moving with paying passengers.

The pics below are shows what servicing infrastructure they have in place to maintain the bus system,

Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 10:36pm On May 16, 2011

Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by vislabraye(m): 10:38pm On May 16, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

[size=13pt]Adam Oshiomole leave Mercy Johnson aloneeeeeeee and do your job as a Gov'no. abi you no dey see wetin Fash dye do for Lag?[/size]

grin grin grin  ehhn, nack me tory
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 10:40pm On May 16, 2011
Laajman:

@debosky
That's what I'm talking about. Discuss the real issues. Btw, I goofed by leaving out the GO transit one. Yeah, its there but the GTA folks couldnt do without the TTC if they've got to move around T. Anyway, thats besides the point.

Who'd be footing the bill? Without a doubt, it'd be you and me. Users of  would definitely foot the bill when "we pay-as-we-go". Would we pay more for a faster transit system, or be content with the status quo? Imagine hopping on a train at Badagry, and landing on the Marina about an hour later? [/b]

Hiccups with the Lekki Toll road. Obviously, there are lessons to be learnt from that experience, and applied to future projects. LSG cannot fund this project by itself. There has to be some private sector participation. Despite the hiccups, which are to be expected anyway, Lagos remains an attractive market with its booming population. A rail system for Lagos, by any stretch of the imagination, would be a viable project- if properly planned and executed.

@ Eko Ile "What's all the stuff like tax, lekki and bonds got to do with this argument? Just what do you want me to get?"
You might want to get off the thread now. This might be a bit too complicated for you.

What a load of senseless and meaningless crap? Whats the meaning?

You still haven't answered my questions,

Do you have  figures from Toronto transit authority addressing your 7 million people argument?

Are we talking about 7 million a day or yearly? Again, stop talking rubbish, the fact that other cities around Toronto have there own mass transit systems means less utilization of Toronto transportation system?

What's all the stuff like tax, lekki and bonds got to do with this argument? Just what do you want me to get?
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by lastpage: 10:51pm On May 16, 2011
After reading the 10pages of this thread, l have observed a few things.

1)Fashola should be applauded for even having the vision to "attempt" to give us Light Rail system in Lagos.
What are his likes in other states doing with their state allocations? Three Gbosa for BRF.

2.) Looking at the "trains" BRF is inspecting (in those NYSC Boots! grin ), the TRUTH is that they are VERY< VERY OLD FASHIONED. In fact, someone provided a link on page one (skyscrapper.com or so) which shows that the Canadians were praying that someone will be foolish enough to come and take the junk away. Forget the N.York Argument, America is known for good roads and solid cars, not an efficient and modern Rail system!

Please "Read" that provided link on page one, please do, for God's sake!

3.) I have seen Rail system (the fast ones that do over 500Km/hr) and l have seen "Lighter Rail or intra-city Rail" that commute between streets-to-streets. The Light Rails dont do over 35-50Km/hr.

I have provided a picture of both scenarios below. Both are in use ALL OVER EUROPE, especially very efficient ones in Germany, Netherlands, France, and Ireland.

My take is that, "IF WE MUST EAT A FROG, LET US EAT ONE WITH EGGS"!

We dont have to acquire the trains Canada "started with", 50yrs ago!. Lets us jump on the Bus in 2011.

We can link a place like Ireland (it was installed by a French Company) and under-study their Rail system or we can go direct to France.

We need a modern, efficient and sturdy Rail system (compare this to what the Chineese sold to OBJ, during his tenure and till today, they are still grounded! grin ) not one that will just pack-up after one year because we cant maintain it!

The Light Rail system is a brilliant idea and we must applaud BRF for it (Dont worry, just to "look and copy good things", takes a miracle in Nigeria wink )

BUT PLEASE BRF, DONT GO THE ROUTE OF OBJ, HIS CHINEESE RAIL ENGINES STILL LITTER THE PORTS AND THE RAIL YARD AT EBUTE-METTA!
They are non-starters.
ASK yourself: WHY are the Canadians doing away with it

PLEASE GOD, MAKE HIM LISTEN TO REASON!

Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by lastpage: 10:55pm On May 16, 2011
For emphasis, this is the "link" l was referring to:

[url]https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/H-series_%28Toronto_subway_car%29[/url]
[Quote]
In May 2009, the TTC found an undisclosed buyer for the H5 and H6 cars, which would be used on a potential transit system in another unnamed jurisdiction. However, that potential buyer will not know until early 2010 whether it has the contract to construct and operate the new system. If the cars were sold to this potential buyer, the TTC could raise cash to offset the cost of the new subway cars that are being delivered since October 2010.[/quote]

Please BRF, Dont waste money on this Junk, pls.
Spend money on the New ones, they are worth every penny spent.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Laajman(m): 10:57pm On May 16, 2011
Ok, I'd dumb it down for you.

1. "Eko Rail Inc." incurs debt to execute railway project.
2. Upon completion, commuters pay fares to use the railway system.
3. Fares are used to maintain the railway system, cover operating expenses, and of course, repay the loan in (1.) above over a long period of time.

7million refers to the GTA population- who are potential users of the TTC. Not daily/annual ridership.
Even if their population is 1million, they have a rail system. With Lagos' population >15million, shouldnt it have a railway system too?
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 11:04pm On May 16, 2011
Laajman:

3. Fares are used to maintain the railway system, cover operating expenses, and of course, repay the loan in (1.) above over a long period of time.

7million refers to the GTA population- who are potential users of the TTC. Not daily/annual ridership.
Even if their population is 1million, they have a rail system. With Lagos' population >15million, shouldnt it have a railway system too?

Look at this clown trying to lecture us. Is it not common sense that even the okada rider got to recoup his okada bike investment by charging his passengers or is there some newly revealed and hidden secrete in your silly nonsense?

Stop posting all that made up rubbish. Do you have a link or figures directly from the Toronto transit authority addressing your 7 million people argument? Do that or just shut up.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by debosky(m): 11:31pm On May 16, 2011
Laajman:

1. Debt incurred to execute railway project is such that it requires exorbitant rates of return, above what would normally be required due to Nigeria's relative political instability.

2. Prices demanded are unrealistic and low patronage affects the system - insufficient revenues to cover operating expenses and repay loan

3. LASG allocations are forcefully deducted to pay for loan in 1.

That is just as feasible an outcome no?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Some Epic Coastal Highways From Around The World / The Pathetic Condition Of Nigerian & Black African Migrants Stranded In Morocco / Doctor Nneoma Uhuegbu Dies In Accident In Abia Sate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.