Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,191 members, 7,815,152 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada (40629 Views)

Buhari Approves $2.4bn For Construction Of Red Line Rail In Lagos / Lagos Light Rail Project To Be Completed By Dec 2016 – Ambode / "We Can't Complete Lagos Light Rail Project" - Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by distincty: 3:17pm On May 16, 2011
Gov. Fashola, the Best Governor ever, ride on
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by owobokiri(m): 3:19pm On May 16, 2011
Why did he hire Canadians to build the trains?  I'm sure there are engineers in Nigeria who could have built such trains.  African nations need to stop giving their money to all these western countries, they are playing Africans for suckers.

We never learn. If no be oyibo biuld am, how e go be origiinal?
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by AChigozie1(f): 3:19pm On May 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

@A.Chigozie:

I dunno. I don't know of any reputable Nigerian train companies. I guess Fashola could have encouraged someone to float one.

But do you really want to put the security and safety of those who will use the trains on somebody new?  undecided

While patronizing African businesses is a good thing, security and expertise comes first. After all, Fashola's constituency is not the African businessman, but the citizens of Lagos.
[size=20pt]
Are not African engineers and business people citizens?  I just think Africa will never truly be independent if it keeps giving its wealth away.  
[/size]
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 3:24pm On May 16, 2011
I wonder why it took so long for the negative have nothing and  wont amount to nothing ibo people to show up with their rubbish.

These clowns are sadists , they are not happy and there is absolutely nothing positive going right for them so it's very difficult for them to be happy with anything, even something so obviously good like a metro rail system for Nigerians,

These are the same people posting pictures of roundabouts all over the place as the only visible sign of development in their towns and villages,

What a sad sorry group of people,
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ektbear: 3:26pm On May 16, 2011
What you say sounds good in theory, but just isn't practical at this point in time.

Fashola's job is to deliver on transportation, not to create a Nigerian engineering company from scratch that can meet these needs.

I could even see him doing something like what you suggest if he controlled the entire government of Nigeria. But he is only the governor of one state with a pretty small budget ($2-3 billion or so).

Long story short, he cannot afford to fvck around, risk taxpayer's money on things that the taxpayers did not elect him into office for (starting up some new engineering firm.)
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by dayokanu(m): 3:27pm On May 16, 2011
JEGA got billions and couldnt conduct a credible election you now want fashola to give billions to local Engineers and watch them do it like JEGA did?
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Siga: 3:28pm On May 16, 2011
Guys, these are used trains, not brand new
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ektbear: 3:28pm On May 16, 2011
Panafrican, Africanist sorts of ideologies are nice.

But if your goal is to make an omelette, sometimes it is better to just go to the grocery store and buy some eggs, rather than building your own chicken farm from scratch.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ektbear: 3:31pm On May 16, 2011
Speaking of omelettes. . . going to make some breakfast cool
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by AChigozie1(f): 3:31pm On May 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

What you say sounds good in theory, but just isn't practical at this point in time.

Fashola's job is to deliver on transportation, not to create a Nigerian engineering company from scratch that can meet these needs.

I could even see him doing something like what you suggest if he controlled the entire government of Nigeria. But he is only the governor of one state with a pretty small budget ($2-3 billion or so).

Long story short, he cannot afford to fvck around, risk taxpayer's money on things that the taxpayers did not elect him into office for (starting up some new engineering firm.)
[size=20pt]
Are you saying that in all of Nigeria no one has the skills to build a train system?  If that is the case what has your nation being doing for the last 50 years?  My father is a professor, I have met many Africans who were sent to my country to learn new skills and knowledge so that when they returned home they would be able to contribute to making their nations better.  What the hell happen?
[/size]
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EzeUche2(m): 3:32pm On May 16, 2011
I don't see anything wrong with Fashola asking Westerners to build it. Their quality is better than our own brothers and way better than the Chinese.

In Nigeria and Africa in general, you have to worry about these indigenous contractors who always try to chop money, instead of getting the job done. Amaechi had to find that out the hard way.  undecided
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by lalaboi(m): 3:33pm On May 16, 2011
Looks like some recycled and old trains. . . Dem go buy Tokunbo go house now lol

Even if they where new. . .Maintenance is one of the problem 4 Naija People. . . Give the trains 1month! grin
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by AChigozie1(f): 3:36pm On May 16, 2011
EzeUche_:

I don't see anything wrong with Fashola asking Westerners to build it. Their quality is better than our own brothers and way better than the Chinese.

In Nigeria and Africa in general, you have to worry about these indigenous contractors who always try to chop money, instead of getting the job done. Amaechi had to find that out the hard way.  undecided
[size=20pt]
You don't think the western nations are not gaming you?  Trust me they are probably charging you guys way more than what is required.
[/size]  

ekt_bear:

Panafrican, Africanist sorts of ideologies are nice.

But if your goal is to make an omelette, sometimes it is better to just go to the grocery store and buy some eggs, rather than building your own chicken farm from scratch.
[size=20pt]
That kind of white supremacist thinking will keep Africa exploited forever!  
[/size]
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by bkbabe97y1: 3:36pm On May 16, 2011
A.Chigozie:

[size=20pt]Why did he hire Canadians to build the trains?  I'm sure there are engineers in Nigeria who could have built such trains.  African nations need to stop giving their money to all these western countries, they are playing Africans for suckers.[/size]  

Ok, you need to chill for real. I'm reading some of your posts and, seriously, you need to do more reading on The African Economy/Industrialization in the 21st Century, cause youre giving "us" a bad name with posts such as the above.

You want to, at least, sound versed/knowledgeable when discussing a subject!
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EzeUche2(m): 3:39pm On May 16, 2011
This AA Pan-Africanist do not know the reality on the ground.  undecided

But is something to admire about their optimism.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by AChigozie1(f): 3:39pm On May 16, 2011
bkbabe.97y:

Ok, you need to chill for real. I'm reading some of your posts and, seriously, you need to do more reading on The African Economy/Industrialization in the 21st Century, cause youre giving "us" a bad name with posts such as the above.

You want to, at least, sound versed/knowledgeable when discussing a subject!

[size=20pt]I'm not the one giving away African wealth to western nations, nor am I someone who thinks such things are o.k.  Liberate your colonial mindsets and build a strong Africa for and by Africans.  [/size]
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by joeyfire(m): 3:40pm On May 16, 2011
@Chigozie - there are definitely nigerians who can do the job and more. The issue is are there nigerian firms that have the know how to handle the project or even have a track record
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by bkbabe97y1: 3:43pm On May 16, 2011
A.Chigozie:

[size=20pt]
You don't think the western nations are not gaming you?  Trust me they are probably charging you guys way more than what is required.
[/size]  

Gaming? Like what, the price of a used train of comparative value is, say, $2million but theyre telling the dumb African that it really costs $200million and this savage is scrambling around seeking money to pay for the train just cause he's eager to buy something, anything, from the white man? Or what you trying to say? Explain!

Are the prices hidden, or do you think numbers are just pulled out of the air? Oh, maybe you think that black man that call himself the Governor cant read. Dude, you need to chill for real.

A.Chigozie:

That kind of white supremacist thinking will keep Africa exploited forever!  [/color][/size]

Wow, son, fall back for real!
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by AChigozie1(f): 3:44pm On May 16, 2011
EzeUche_:

This AA Pan-Africanist do not know the reality on the ground.  undecided
[size=20pt]

I concede that is true, but it still doesn't excuse why there is no one in Nigeria capable of building a train system.  Who will maintain the system?  Are you guys going hire Canadians to do that too?
[/size]
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by 2mch(m): 3:45pm On May 16, 2011
Those train samples are too old, heavy and bulky. They cannot be energy efficient or safe for travel and cheaply maintained. Something like this below, should be what Fashola should be looking at. Enough of second hand okrika things for Nigeria. Nigerian's deserve the best:

[img]http://factoryofbubbles.files./2011/03/high-speed-rail.jpg[/img]
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by udezue(m): 3:47pm On May 16, 2011
Well he is doing well. THUMBZ UP
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by bkbabe97y1: 3:50pm On May 16, 2011
2mch:

Those train samples are too old, heavy and bulky. They cannot be energy efficient or safe for travel and cheaply maintained. Something like this below, should be what Fashola should be looking at. Enough of second hand okrika things for Nigeria. Nigerian's deserve the best:

[img]http://factoryofbubbles.files./2011/03/high-speed-rail.jpg[/img]

Just Incase you think you have an idea what youre talking about: EVEN HERE IN NY WE DONT HAVE TRAINS LIKE THE ONE YOU GOT IN THE IMAGE ABOVE!

WHAT WE HAVE HERE IN NY ARE EXACTLY LIKE WHAT THE GOVERNOR OF LAGOS STATE IS PURCHASING FROM CANADA. Now, go figure!
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 3:51pm On May 16, 2011
A.Chigozie:

[size=20pt]I'm not the one giving away African wealth to western nations, nor am I someone who thinks such things are o.k.  Liberate your colonial mindsets and build a strong Africa for and by Africans.  [/size]

What's your point really? Are you asking the Lagos state government to first build a train manufacturing entity before getting into any kind of light rail system on behalf of Lagosians? How many government are into stuff like that?

The absence of rail manufacturers is a reflection of tons of national failures from lousy leadership and corruption to lack of vision and innovation, faulty power supply and on and on and on ,

Even in the US and countries all over the world, they still import what ever that's not locally available. The state's transportation problem needs mediate attention and to suggest that the state should have engage some non existing entity to supply what's not available sounds not only irrational, it sounds disingenuous.

I hope you're not talking just to here yourself talk because I don't see your argument working for the state government at this very junction,
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by AChigozie1(f): 3:51pm On May 16, 2011
Eko Ile:

I wonder why it took so long for the negative have nothing and  wont amount to nothing ibo people to show up with their rubbish.

These clowns are sadists , they are not happy and there is absolutely nothing positive going right for them so it's very difficult for them to be happy with anything,  even something so obviously good like a metro rail system for Nigerians,

These are the same people posting pictures of roundabouts all over the place as the only visible sign of development in their towns and villages,

What a sad sorry group of people,

[size=20pt]FYI I am AA.  Don't get mad at the messenger, I'm just asking a question. Also don't try and run your hatred for Igbos either, my ancestors were Igbo and I won't stand for them being disrespected, wasn't it enough that your ancestors sold them into enslavement!?   [/size]
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by violent(m): 3:52pm On May 16, 2011
A.Chigozie:

I simply hate it when people come in here to spit trash about someone giving away African's wealth to western nations. . . wtf?

When will people start understanding the fact that the world is a global community and the availability of skills is a zero sum game, if there are engineers with over 20 years of expertise building trains in Nigeria, why couldn't they just come out and let their works speak for itself?

Except if of course what you are suggesting is that we should entrust billions into the hands of people who lack needed expertise or experience {which in my own opinion, sounds extremely fo'olish} only to spend millions treating accident victims and compesating families of train crash victims, simply because in your own words, "we shouldn't give Oyinbo, africa's wealth". . .

. . . . .should we also consider it a joke that you are probably making postings from the USA even though you're African?  I bet you schooled there as well, are there no good schools in Africa?. . . .if you were truly patriotic as you would have us believe, you shouldn't even be spending a dime in any sector of the western economy.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by babaowo: 3:55pm On May 16, 2011
let fashola start mechanize farming now! To avoid mallams poisons food ooo,
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ektbear: 3:55pm On May 16, 2011
A. Chigozie: Your attitude is pretty patronizing. You don't seem to understand Nigeria's economic needs. Perhaps spend some time educating yourself:

http://www.accessbankplc.com/Library/Documents/2010%20Bankers%20Committee%20Conference%20Resources/Economic%20Development/Putting%20Nigeria%20to%20Work.pdf

^-- Above is a report by the World Bank that will help you understand Nigeria's economy a bit.

Anyway, the last thing Nigeria needs right now is an indigenous train company. There are other things higher on the priority list.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by bkbabe97y1: 3:56pm On May 16, 2011
A.Chigozie:

Ok, Mupthela Ngozie Kunte A. Chigozie a.k.a James Tyrie Wilford III; I HEAR YOU!!!

What freaking wealth are they giving away? Trade is different from "giving away wealth", get that in your head.

Even The United States buys stuff from other countries. We get a lot of Beef from Canada, Argentina, and Asia. . . . . it dont mean we starving!
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by AChigozie1(f): 3:58pm On May 16, 2011
violent:

I simply hate it when people come in here to spit trash about someone giving away African's wealth to western nations. . . wtf?

When will people start understanding the fact that the world is a global community and the availability of skills is a zero sum game, if there are engineers with over 20 years of expertise building trains in Nigeria, why couldn't they just come out and let their works speak for itself?

Except if of course what you are suggesting is that we should entrust billions into the hands of people who lack needed expertise or experience {which in my own opinion, sounds extremely fo'olish} only to spend millions treating accident victims and compesating families of train crash victims, simply because in your own words, "we shouldn't give Oyinbo, africa's wealth". . .

. . . . .should we also consider it a joke that you are probably making postings from the USA even though you're African?  I bet you schooled there as well, are there no good schools in Africa?. . . .if you were truly patriotic as you would have us believe, you shouldn't even be spending a dime in any sector of the western economy.

[size=20pt]
"simply because in your own words, "we shouldn't give Oyinbo, africa's wealth". . ."

WRONG!!!!  I wrote no such thing, in fact I didn't even know an "Oyinbo" until I started posting on this site.  Of course I'm posting from America, because I am American duh.  See my previous threads for more information, I don't feel like repeating my family history right now.   wink
[/size]
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Gekko(m): 3:59pm On May 16, 2011
I must say i'm disappointed at the standard of trains being inspected in these pics but i guess its a matter of wanting filet mignon but only chuck steak available  undecided

Besides i thought light rails are usually more modern looking in appearance, these rail-cars looks several generations old.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ektbear: 4:00pm On May 16, 2011
A.Chigozie:

YI I am AA.  Don't get mad at the messenger, I'm just asking a question. Also don't try and run your hatred for Igbos either, my ancestors were Igbo and I won't stand for them being disrespected, wasn't it enough that your ancestors sold them into enslavement!?   [/color][/size]

Err, lol. Again, educate yourself a bit. Even look at a map of Nigeria, one which has linguistic/ethnic groups displayed on top of it. To put it simply, his ancestors couldn't have sold yours into slavery. . . simply because even if they wanted to, they were West of the river Niger while yours were East.

Spend a bit of time trying to understand the country you are commenting on.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 4:02pm On May 16, 2011
A.Chigozie:

[size=20pt]FYI I am AA.  Don't get mad at the messenger, I'm just asking a question. Also don't try and run your hatred for Igbos either, my ancestors were Igbo and I won't stand for them being disrespected, wasn't it enough that your ancestors sold them into enslavement!?   [/size]

#1. I didn't quote, call or label you ibo, this is guilty conscience on your part so you really must be ibo.

#2. Your argument makes no sense, it's common sense to source what's not locally available from any part of the globe. If it's locally available, fine, but if not, you import.

Maybe you'll have a leg to stand on with your argument if despite the fact that locally made trains are available in Nigeria and the state government still transferred wealth and sourced the trains from Canada, for now, you are arguing very blindly just for the heck of it.

We have pressing transportation needs in Lagos and our national industrialization issues shouldn't roped around the necks of Lagosians

The issue of industrialization in Nigeria is a different issue and if you have any need to start that discussion, this is not the thread, go and start your own thread and I'll be glad to join you and have that debate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Truck Driver Bashes & Breaks Rearscreen of SUV then rolls on ground begging / Toyota Land Cruiser Somersaults At Stadium, Lagos (photos) / The Pathetic Condition Of Nigerian & Black African Migrants Stranded In Morocco

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.