Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,844 members, 7,956,170 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:47 AM

150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK (18658 Views)

67% Of Nigerian Doctors Practice In UK, NHS Will Struggle If They Leave–minister / Nigerian Doctors Wait As Indian Doctors Gain Approval To Practice In US, Canada / Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 05, 2021
Nozino:

That is the problem I have with this people. Medical education shouldn’t be subsidized in Nigeria. Let them pay tuition comparable to what their British, Canadian and American and earn comparable wages.

Then you would end up with even fewer doctors...since most won't be able to afford the fees.

(Mind, I agree we should allow universities increase fees...but we can't do it at the level the foreigners do it)

1 Like

Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 05, 2021
Teenaira:

If I am a Nigerian doctor in UK and I am to attend to a Nigerian politician, I know what I will do. Please don't ask me what.

Well, if it is evil you intend, then you are really not fit to be a doctor.

Doctors, as the oath we take implies, are supposed to attend to everyone, regardless of how bad or how good they are. Leave harm for the butchers.

(And oui...i have attended to a corrupt politician myself. To me, he was just another patient. I may have disagreed with his polices and his party, but he was just a patient. I did my job and got on with life.)

1 Like

Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by armadeo(m): 2:27pm On Aug 05, 2021
adedayourt:

We got 3 docs in the family, 2 have relocated the last is at the Nigerian border about to leave. Bad news is the brain drain is not limited to docs alone, good minds are exiting this country on a daily

The guy no wan hear story say e too far . E remain at the border

1 Like

Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 05, 2021
Cosmatikka:
When the Nigerian public is always quick to condemn and call us quack doctors, you people didn't realise that there's a place our services are needed and valued.

1.Because most Nigerians don't see the big picture

2.Because some of us doctors are bad at our jobs..let's not lie.

3.Because most Nigerians expect miracles despite presenting late.(I have had a patient's relative openly call for our prosecution at my place of work for not doing her jobs...said patient was far gone beyond help)
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by armadeo(m): 2:34pm On Aug 05, 2021
Nozino:

That is the problem I have with this people. Medical education shouldn’t be subsidized in Nigeria. Let them pay tuition comparable to what their British, Canadian and American and earn comparable wages.

Then everyone will pay tuition at par not just doctors.

Lawyers, engineers, social sciences chemistry physics everyone will pay school fees at par with the rest of the world.

Don't you know that everybody's education is subsidised not just doctors.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Nozino: 3:13pm On Aug 05, 2021
armadeo:

Then everyone will pay tuition at par not just doctors.

Lawyers, engineers, social sciences chemistry physics everyone will pay school fees at par with the rest of the world.

Don't you know that everybody's education is subsidised not just doctors.

Agreed. Then compare tuition of Engineering students with tuition of medical students in the UK with similar structure.
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Nozino: 3:18pm On Aug 05, 2021
Beancounter94:

Then you would end up with even fewer doctors...since most won't be able to afford the fees.

(Mind, I agree we should allow universities increase fees...but we can't do it at the level the foreigners do it)

It won’t work that way. There are thousands of applicants each year. If a student can’t afford tuition, she/he can sign an agreement to work for the government for 15 to 20years in return for subsidized education. Similar programs exist in the US and Canada.

Then the scope of practice for Nurses will increase. There’s nothing a Non surgical Dr do in Nigeria that a Nurse Practitioner won’t do. The government can decide to introduce the PA and AA professions. NMA and Drs in Nigeria are feeling fly because the government isn’t creative.

3 Likes

Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Nozino: 3:20pm On Aug 05, 2021
Beancounter94:

Because you go to a private school. Most medical students go to government schools...where fees are probably at most 200000 naira, if not less.

UniBen medical students were paying 25k/year. I don’t know if they’ve increased the school fees.
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Susily(m): 3:45pm On Aug 05, 2021
louqas:
I wish them sucess

Thousands more in our medical schools to replace them

They wont be missed

Who told you the thousands in medical schools aren't preparing to write PLAB or USMLE to leave the country and practice in UK or US??

The dream of every Nigerian doctor is to practice abroad, this country doesn't give a hoot about their welfare
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by gforce5: 4:03pm On Aug 05, 2021
You and the people who liked your comment are among the biggest problems in this country. A country of 200 million people is losing its best and brightest to foreign countries and you are not concerned? A country that has a ratio 1 doctor per every 9,000 people is losing even more doctors and you are ignorant of the gravity of the situation? You think that the buck stops with them? More are on their way to join them. Honestly, you lots love suffering and smiling. Don't worry, you will understand the gravity of the situation in a few years time when you will struggle to find qualified medical doctors/nurses to treat you. The politicians that you are defending, including Bubu, receive medical treatment overseas. Continue to live in blissful ignorance.
louqas:
I wish them sucess

They wont be missed
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by romityl: 4:09pm On Aug 05, 2021
Our Nigerian doctors in the UK pls help us kill those in government who do not want to pay you guys well in Nigeria and get treated by you guys in the UK ...inject them with poison pls .if Una kill like 3them go develop our health sector
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 05, 2021
romityl:
Our Nigerian doctors in the UK pls help us kill those in government who do not want to pay you guys well in Nigeria and get treated by you guys in the UK ...inject them with poison pls .if Una kill like 3them go develop our health sector

So, you want a UK doctor to kill a poltician seeking treatment in the UK

Well, most deaths in the UK undergo something called an autopsy, which includes a toxicology screen. If they find something funny in the tox screen, that means an investigation, and that means whoever injected the poison gets into big trouble.

Plus as the Oath we guys take says

ἃ δ᾽ ἂν ἐνθεραπείῃ ἴδω ἢ ἀκούσω, ἢ καὶ ἄνευ θεραπείης κατὰ βίον ἀνθρώπων, ἃ μὴ χρή ποτε ἐκλαλεῖσθαι ἔξω, σιγήσομαι, ἄρρητα ἡγεύμενος εἶναι τὰ τοιαῦτα.

Or, in corrupted anglo-saxon....

Into whatsoever houses I enter, I will enter to help the sick, and I will abstain from all intentional wrong-doing and harm, especially from abusing the bodies of man or woman, bond or free. And whatsoever I shall see or hear in the course of my profession, as well as outside my profession in my intercourse with men, if it be what should not be published abroad, I will never divulge, holding such things to be holy secrets.

I think poisoning someone falls under intentional harm by the way.

Besides, there are many UK based doctors and other medical people who are or have been either in jail or in secure psychiatric units for the crime of deliberately poisoning someone. Even if the someone deserved it.

Because a doctor who can poison a corrupt poltician today can poison you tomorrow. Playing God is a dangerous game.
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Uncleodi(m): 4:32pm On Aug 05, 2021
louqas:
I wish them sucess

They wont be missed

Those thousands will leave once they get the necessary experience, unless their welfare is taken care of.

The cycle continues.

Imagine training your son through medical school with all your savings and sweat and then, the Government owes him 4 months salary when he can easily make over 2million monthly in Australia, won't you advice him to leave?

Especially when you have retired with no pension in view. That is the case of many Nigerian doctors.

You see, it is easier said than done.

2 Likes

Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Uncleodi(m): 4:37pm On Aug 05, 2021
bigpicture001:
I don't support those doctors at all....they are disgraceful ND unpatriotic....

Naija gave them education for free ND they can't serve their fatherland..

What stops them from making money in Nigeria...? Greedy theives

Attention seeker spotted!

Go and study medicine and serve your father land.

1 Like

Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by armadeo(m): 5:22pm On Aug 05, 2021
Nozino:

Agreed. Then compare tuition of Engineering students with tuition of medical students in the UK with similar structure.

It's still going to make it unaffordable to many people. It will have a general effect. Don't even think it will ever be possible.
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by macdominic22: 5:41pm On Aug 05, 2021
Samson0599:
Abeg make them go jor,soldier go soldier come

I laugh you, what makes you think the new ones want to stay,according to statistics,the number of doctors leaving have increased the past few years,don't forget other countries ohhh
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by louqas: 6:11pm On Aug 05, 2021
gforce5:
You and the people who liked your comment are among the biggest problems in this country. A country of 200 million people is losing its best and brightest to foreign countries and you are not concerned? A country that has a ratio 1 doctor per every 9,000 people is losing even more doctors and you are ignorant of the gravity of the situation? You think that the buck stops with them? More are on their way to join them. Honestly, you lots love suffering and smiling. Don't worry, you will understand the gravity of the situation in a few years time when you will struggle to find qualified medical doctors/nurses to treat you. The politicians that you are defending, including Bubu, receive medical treatment overseas. Continue to live in blissful ignorance.
Taa
All the conditions they are complaining about is what they were aware of while training but they chose to endure the training ....why .....because it is cheap subsidized medical education.....they cant afford to study medicine in those countries they throng to ....like i said thousands more are waiting to take their places
Abegiii
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by louqas: 6:14pm On Aug 05, 2021
Uncleodi:

Those thousands will leave once they get the necessary experience, unless their welfare is taken care of.

The cycle continues.

Imagine training your son through medical school with all your savings and sweat and then, the Government owes him 4 months salary when he can easily make over 2million monthly in Australia, won't you advice him to leave?

Especially when you have retired with no pension in view. That is the case of many Nigerian doctors.

You see, it is easier said than done.

Those who will leave will leave even if you pay them one year salary upfront....its human nature...thats why there's freedom of movement.....yall make it seem like we are in a shortage...NO .....most doctors still stay back
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by louqas: 6:16pm On Aug 05, 2021
Susily:

Who told you the thousands in medical schools aren't preparing to write PLAB or USMLE to leave the country and practice in UK or US??

The dream of every Nigerian doctor is to practice abroad, this country doesn't give a hoot about their welfare

Big fat lie.....the percentage of those leaving is insignificant....lesss than 10%.....stop being emotional, people are free to move.....let those who want to go go....Majority doctors still stay back and its not even possible for all doctors to leave
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Susily(m): 6:26pm On Aug 05, 2021
louqas:

Big fat lie.....the percentage of those leaving is insignificant....lesss than 10%.....stop being emotional, people are free to move.....let those who want to go go....Majority doctors still stay back and its not even possible for all doctors to leave

The doctors domiciled here permanently are the older ones, young doctors are seriously making japa plans

Government should do something about their welfare cos the brain drain is getting too much

Your statistics of 10% is incorrect
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by HADI854: 6:37pm On Aug 05, 2021
adenigga:
https://punchng.com/150-Nigerian-doctors-ready-for-exams-ahead-practicing-in-UK
Papa God sef know say I'm mediately I dey finish my Engineering degree, me too I dey go write foreign exam make I japa ooooo
Is like dis country nobi for all of us again ooo

1 Like

Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by malel1: 6:39pm On Aug 05, 2021
louqas:

Pity your poor miserable family

Somebody like u doesnt deserve to live among humans
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Cousin9999: 6:49pm On Aug 05, 2021
smh
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Cromagnon: 7:29pm On Aug 05, 2021
Beancounter94:
UK's tax to gdp ratio : 33.0%
Nigeria tax togdp ratio : 6.1%

UK per capita GDP: $42,331
Nigeria per capita GDP : $2230

UK health budget: 269 BILLION pounds(2020 figures)
Nigeria health budget: 750 MILLION pounds.(2020 FIGURES)

Any questions?

UK is an industrial society, Nigeria is a resource dependent poor country with unimaginative leaders and people.
now this is how you count beans
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by Cromagnon: 7:31pm On Aug 05, 2021
Dreambeat:
Did you read the article? Did you see the figures mentioned there. The ratio of doctors to patients in a country of 200 million
Mtscheeeeeeeeeeew
E never even worst
We behind by a factor of 6
Can be fixed
I think say na like factor of 100
Re: 150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK by elonmuskbaby: 9:02pm On Aug 05, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

...and why should they not. What facilities are there for them to use their brains?
hay God oooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Woman With Rare Condition Sees Upside Down / Pls Help Is Caro White A Bleaching Cream? / 54-Year-Old Man Commits Suicide In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.