Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic (25771 Views)

Lwhere Can I Get Lenovo E520 Power Ic In Phc / IC Diamond Thermal Comound Needed / URGENTLY In Need Of Gigabyte Motherboard Power IC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 12:28am On Dec 16, 2021
DBlackCeazer:
hello bros, I ve this dead hp 15 laptop, 3v/5valwp is missing, no shorts on the inductors, 19.5v input is fine, no 3vlp to sio chip, Injecting 3v to 3vlp turns on the laptop's charging light, my diagnosis is a faulty RT8243AZQW(pu301), I'm not good with micro smd replacement, question is, can you help me source for/replace it?

Pin 12 Enldo will help turn on the ldo 3vlp, is it available? There is a voltage divider on that line, if one of the resistor is bad, it will affect it base on the ovp and uvp of the ic.

So confirm that too and concerning the ic, I've check to see if it has an equivalent but I can't find any and I don't have this ic in stock but if you need urgently i can introduce you to someone you can get it from.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by DBlackCeazer(m): 7:14pm On Dec 16, 2021
udemzyudex:

Pin 12 Enldo will help turn on the ldo 3vlp, is it available? There is a voltage divider on that line, if one of the resistor is bad, it will affect it base on the ovp and uvp of the ic.

So confirm that too and concerning the ic, I've check to see if it has an equivalent but I can't find any and I don't have this ic in stock but if you need urgently i can introduce you to someone you can get it from.
Thanks for your reply.
I'm sure u know how tricky it is to read resistors in a divider circuit, well, to my surprise, the laptop's charging light came up after trying to take my first readings, I quickly connected power button and screen cable, I tried powering it, the 3.3v/5v is present now, the white power led comes on briefly but no other sign of power, I've tried 4 other ram but nothing, I've decided to ask if you have an idea what the issue might be before I delve further into what I think could be a time consuming repair.
Nb: laptop was not manufactured with an inbuilt fan.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:30pm On Dec 16, 2021
DBlackCeazer:
Thanks for your reply.
I'm sure u know how tricky it is to read resistors in a divider circuit, well, to my surprise, the laptop's charging light came up after trying to take my first readings, I quickly connected power button and screen cable, I tried powering it, the 3.3v/5v is present now, the white power led comes on briefly but no other sign of power, I've tried 4 other ram but nothing, I've decided to ask if you have an idea what the issue may be before I delve further into what I think could be a time consuming repair.
Nb: laptop was not manufactured with an inbuilt fan.

Well it is not hard, when a resistor is connected to an ic, the best way to read it is to take it out, you can read it on the board if it is not connected to an ic.

I want to believe it powers on but no display on screen?
Can you post the voltages available on the coils after pressing power button?

Note that motherboard uses power sequence, 1st, 2nd,3rd...11th gen have a specific power sequence.

In some cases you will see the power sequence on the first or last page of the schematic, you can follow it to repair the mobo.
If you can't find it then you have to follow the general sequence which I believe you should know.

Since you already confirm the primary voltage on the board, you need to confirm if the secondary is available too, before the secondary voltage, the pch will release it's enabling voltage/signal.

Slp_s3# and slp_s4#

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by DBlackCeazer(m): 9:50pm On Dec 16, 2021
udemzyudex:

Well it is not hard, when a resistor is connected to an ic, the best way to read it is to take it out, you can read it on the board if it is not connected to an ic.

I want to believe it powers on but no display on screen?
Can you post the voltages available on the coils after pressing power button?

Note that motherboard uses power sequence, 1st, 2nd,3rd...11th gen have a specific power sequence.

In some cases you will see the power sequence on the first or last page of the schematic, you can follow it to repair the mobo.
If you can't find it then you have to follow the general sequence which I believe you should know.

Since you already confirm the primary voltage on the board, you need to confirm if the secondary is available too, before the secondary voltage, the pch will release it's enabling voltage/signal.

Slp_s3# and slp_s4#
really appreciate your input, I'll take my time to check, just found the power sequence on the service manual, I just pray its worth my time.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:14pm On Dec 16, 2021
DBlackCeazer:
really appreciate your input, I'll take my time to check, just found the power sequence on the service manual, I just pray its worth my time.

Note that sequence doesn't contain all necessary rails, you also need to know some of them that are not listed there.

You're welcome.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by DBlackCeazer(m): 10:31pm On Dec 16, 2021
udemzyudex:

Note that sequence doesn't contain all necessary rails, you also need to know some of them that are not listed there.

You're welcome.
oh really? Will do my best. I'll will update you on the result.
Regards

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Milesbillions(m): 3:47pm On Dec 24, 2021
Hi guys....my zinox flagship laptop just developed a problem. I was charging the laptop when suddenly they battery stop charging. I removed the charger, went to another room and plugged the charger there but then I removed the battery and it started charging again, now I inserted the battery again and it stopped charging. I went and bought a new charger and it did not charge it. I met an Engineer and he told me it is the charging IC which my instinct is telling that it is not...he even told me to pay 10k for it which I refused. The issue now is that if I removed the battery, the laptop will not power and if I insert the battery, the laptop will not charge.

This is a laptop I bought in cartons since 2015.
I still love the system

Please how can I rectify this problems BOSS
I can power the system on because the battery is still remaining 50% but once I plug the charger, it won't charge and if I remove the battery and plug the charger, it won't charge again
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:06pm On Dec 24, 2021
Milesbillions:
Hi guys....my zinox flagship laptop just developed a problem. I was charging the laptop when suddenly they battery stop charging. I removed the charger, went to another room and plugged the charger there but then I removed the battery and it started charging again, now I inserted the battery again and it stopped charging. I went and bought a new charger and it did not charge it. I met an Engineer and he told me it is the charging IC which my instinct is telling that it is not...he even told me to pay 10k for it which I refused. The issue now is that if I removed the battery, the laptop will not power and if I insert the battery, the laptop will not charge.

This is a laptop I bought in cartons since 2015.
I still love the system

Please how can I rectify this problems BOSS
I can power the system on because the battery is still remaining 50% but once I plug the charger, it won't charge and if I remove the battery and plug the charger, it won't charge again

Don't plugin the charger again till you resolve the issue, because if there a small burnt on any ic or component,it will Keep expanding till it burn out the tracks on the motherboard and this is not good,it might lead to complete damage and replacing the board will be the only solution.

That aside,the engr might be right because it powers on with battery but not with the charger, the chargiing ic will tell the SIO if it is charger that is laptop is getting it power from or the battery.
But then fault can come from other part like the VIN section,so you can't tell where the fault is from until you diagonise the board,so I wonder how he concluded it is the charging IC.

It might be that the charging volt is not entering the board Via the VIN MOSFET,you can check another engr or if you're in lag I can fix it for you.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:27pm On Dec 24, 2021
Part number: LA-5751P

This mobo was brought in for repair, I found the VIN MOSFET was getting hot, the drain was getting charger 19v but source was 0.335.

Definitely there is a short,I inject volt on the CLR and found out the CPU core MOSFET was getting hot,I replaced it and mobo works fine.

The thing is, same fault will likely not give you the same solution, fault can be from the power IC, charging IC or even RTC section,you just have to diagnosis it to know where the issue comes from.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:42pm On Dec 24, 2021
Part number: LA-7912P
Fault : Dead

VIN MOSFET not switching properly,drain is 19v but source was fluctuating between 10v,9v.

Just replace the N channel MOSFET and mobo is back to life.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Milesbillions(m): 10:41am On Dec 25, 2021
udemzyudex:

Don't plugin the charger again till you resolve the issue, because if there a small burnt on any ic or component,it will Keep expanding till it burn out the tracks on the motherboard and this is not good,it might lead to complete damage and replacing the board will be the only solution.

That aside,the engr might be right because it powers on with battery but not with the charger, the chargiing ic will tell the SIO if it is charger that is laptop is getting it power from or the battery.
But then fault can come from other part like the VIN section,so you can't tell where the fault is from until you diagonise the board,so I wonder how he concluded it is the charging IC.

It might be that the charging volt is not entering the board Via the VIN MOSFET,you can check another engr or if you're in lag I can fix it for you.

I'm not in Lag sir

I'm a corp member serving in Ogun State.

But if I want to come to lag to meet you
How can I do it?
Location and where to come.

If u give me address, maybe I can take the risk and come
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:46am On Dec 25, 2021
Milesbillions:

I'm not in Lag sir

I'm a corp member serving in Ogun State.

But if I want to come to lag to meet you
How can I do it?
Location and where to come.

If u give me address, maybe I can take the risk and come

Computer village, Ikeja.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Milesbillions(m): 11:14am On Dec 25, 2021
udemzyudex:

Computer village, Ikeja.

Is this your WhatsApp line sir?

Want to discuss more with you
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2022
Part number: LA-E811P
FAULT: POWER ON AND SHUT DOWN AFTER 5 SEC.

I won't go into much details here,I'll just go straight to the point.

When i press the power button,only the 3.3v/5v coil generate,there is no secondary voltages on the motherboard.
You need the SLP_s3# and SLP_s4# to enable the secondary voltages and this signals comes from the PCH. If it is not coming then it's either the PCH is not getting it required voltage to turn on this voltage or it is faulty.

The first voltage that powers the PCH is the RTC (CMOS) since there is no schematic for this motherboard,I had to use experience to follow it up.

Straight to the point, SRTCRST# and RTCRST# ,the best way to check this section is to use the CMOS cell.

One of the resistor of this two signals was open, one end reads 2.4v while the other reads 0.185v,I replaced the resistor and read again,it works fine with reading of 2.8v.

I place the mobo on the casing and power it on,it powered and display.

Job done.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by DBlackCeazer(m): 11:36am On Jan 05, 2022
udemzyudex:
Part number: LA-E811P
FAULT: POWER ON AND SHUT DOWN AFTER 5 SEC.

I won't go into much details here,I'll just go straight to the point.

When i press the power button,only the 3.3v/5v coil generate,there is no secondary voltages on the motherboard.
You need the SLP_s3# and SLP_s4# to enable the secondary voltages and this signals comes from the PCH. If it is not coming then it's either the PCH is not getting it required voltage to turn on this voltage or it is faulty.

The first voltage that powers the PCH is the RTC (CMOS) since there is no schematic for this motherboard,I had to use experience to follow it up.

Straight to the point, SRTCRST# and RTCRST# ,the best way to check this section is to use the CMOS cell.

One of the resistor of this two signals was open, one end reads 2.4v while the other reads 0.185v,I replaced the resistor and read again,it works fine with reading of 2.8v.

I place the mobo on the casing and power it on,it powered and display.

Job done.
well done!

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:31pm On Jan 08, 2022
PART NUMBER : LA-E811P AND LA-A994P
Fault : No power

The chargiing light indicator was on , when I trigger the power switch, mobo still remains dead. Impedance was fine,on connecting the charger back the port,I noticed the charging port was bad,I use another one to check and mobo works fine.

Now it's either I return the mobo back to the engrs or fix it and get paid,I had to improvise.
From my diagonise,ADP_ID (adapter identification) was missing due to the bad port which won't the mono to turn on, just like PS_ID in Dell.

Port was fix with this and everything works fine after that.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:11pm On Jan 12, 2022
Part number : 6050A2637901
FAULT: Dead.

From the look of things , someone else had already tampered with the motherboard because I noticed some flux on the vin section and Q6010 was missing on the motherboard.

There was a short circuit on the motherboard,and I believe the missing MOSFET was heating up that was why the other engr took it out or probably replaced it but the fault was still there.

The thing is , when a particular component or ic is heating up on the motherboard,it 95% of the time it is not faulty one, something else on the motherboard triggers it,you have to rectify that else even if you replace the heating component 100 times there will be no changes.

I measured the impedance of the CLR and notice the short was on the VIN section,I inject volt and the culprit was indentified, now it is time to replace the MOSFET.

After that,I connect the charger and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:52pm On Jan 16, 2022
Part number: DA0ZE6MB6E0
Fault: Dead

This mobo came in as dead,after the necessary physical and impedance checking,I connect the DC power supply and it gave me a reading of 0.004.

This shows 19v is okay but no standby voltage (power IC),I open the schematic to check where the problem comes from.

After checking the necessary requirements and all is present,I replace the two polarise caps ( there is a reason for this wink ) ,I connect back the DC power supply and it goes up to 0.008.

Cool,press the power button and mobo turns on.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:37pm On Jan 19, 2022
Part number : DAY0DDMBAE0

Hp spectre x360

First thing first, check for physical damage and impedance reading, I noticed there was a partial short on the VIN section, the CLR was reading 0.174 ,this is a common fault for this mobo and it is tricky.
Injecting a very low volt to the CLR and check all upper drain MOSFET of all section of it is available will do the job but since its a common case,it was an easy job.

Two MOSFET where the culprit,I remove and replace the two and mobo came back to life.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 5:21pm On Jan 23, 2022
Nairaland spam bot should be called to order oo.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by sabacity(m): 9:07pm On Jan 23, 2022
Please I have a issue with my Dell laptop 6420...

I bought a wired mouse and plugged it to the laptop...it drains my battery from 50% to 0% and shutdown itself...(my battery is isn't okay before Sha, barely 1 hour battery)

I later plugged in my laptop charger but it doesn't charge it instead the charging led on the charger started blinking...and when I remove the plug of the system,it will stop...

I removed my battery and plugged in directly without battery, it's still the same...the charging led of the charger keeps blinking and won't power on the system...

Any solution please?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:02pm On Jan 23, 2022
sabacity:
Please I have a issue with my Dell laptop 6420...

I bought a wired mouse and plugged it to the laptop...it drains my battery from 50% to 0% and shutdown itself...(my battery is isn't okay before Sha, barely 1 hour battery)

I later plugged in my laptop charger but it doesn't charge it instead the charging led on the charger started blinking...and when I remove the plug of the system,it will stop...

I removed my battery and plugged in directly without battery, it's still the same...the charging led of the charger keeps blinking and won't power on the system...

Any solution please?

There is a shorted circuit on your motherboard, it won't power on until it is cleared, you need to see a laptop technician.

I'll advise you not to plugin the charger again, why? Because if there is a burnt component or ic, while the charger is till plugin and it blinking,it will damage it completely and even burnt the surface of the panel there by making it difficult to replace the bad one which might lead to replacing the mobo.

Since it is not powering and from all indications it is a motherboard issue I'll advise you see a laptop technician or if you're in lag I can fix it for you.

Same scenario here

https://www.nairaland.com/301179/post-computer-pc-troubles-here/1129#109246376
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 12:48am On Jan 24, 2022
PART number : la-9104p
Fault: no display

After all the necessary troubleshooting ,I found out that 3vs is missing , I got 0.890 volt instead.

I run a jumper wire and mobo is back to normal.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by sabacity(m): 4:12am On Jan 24, 2022
udemzyudex:

There is a shorted circuit on your motherboard, it won't power on until it is cleared, you need to see a laptop technician.

I'll advise you not to plugin the charger again, why? Because if there is a burnt component or ic, while the charger is till plugin and it blinking,it will damage it completely and even burnt the surface of the panel there by making it difficult to replace the bad one which might lead to replacing the mobo.

Since it is not powering and from all indications it is a motherboard issue I'll advise you see a laptop technician or if you're in lag I can fix it for you.

Same scenario here

https://www.nairaland.com/301179/post-computer-pc-troubles-here/1129#109246376

Thanks for the reply...but I'm not in Lagos now.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 2:23am On Jan 27, 2022
sabacity:

Thanks for the reply...but I'm not in Lagos now.

What's your location?

Sorry for the late reply,the spam bot ban me from posting on this section.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Adewale1603(m): 5:22pm On Jan 27, 2022
udemzyudex:
Part number : DAY0DDMBAE0

Hp spectre x360

First thing first, check for physical damage and impedance reading, I noticed there was a partial short on the VIN section, the CLR was reading 0.174 ,this is a common fault for this mobo and it is tricky.
Injecting a very low volt to the CLR and check all upper drain MOSFET of all section of it is available will do the job but since its a common case,it was an easy job.

Two MOSFET where the culprit,I remove and replace the two and mobo came back to life.
do they sell these integrated circuits, mosfet etc. separately
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 6:20pm On Jan 27, 2022
Adewale1603:
do they sell these integrated circuits, mosfet etc. separately

Yes,if you check AliExpress with the part number of the IC you will see it.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Adewale1603(m): 6:40pm On Jan 27, 2022
udemzyudex:

Yes,if you check AliExpress with the part number of the IC you will see it.

interesting
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 7:28pm On Jan 27, 2022
Adewale1603:
interesting

I have two people here in Nigeria , Enugu and Mina , it saves time instead of waiting for weeks to get it from China.

I can also get from scrap motherboard too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

4 Email Etiquettes Most People Ignore / How To Create A Wireless Hotspot On A Computer / Tools To Bypass Firewalls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.