Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,601 members, 7,820,151 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" (26598 Views)

Ezza: Indigenous Igbos Of Benue State Celebrate Cultural Festival / Igbos Celebrate New Yam Festival In Ghana (Photos) / Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by ekhai(m): 2:14pm On Aug 08, 2021
end1999constitu:

.....they're all Igbos, they speaks and understands Igbo language and cultures
KEEP QUIET AND SAY WHAT YOU KNOW. NOBODY SPEAK IGBO LANGUAGE IN AVHIANWU. WE SPEAK EDO. DON'T BRING US TO IPOB.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Gambit23: 2:15pm On Aug 08, 2021
Nisiw365:

During the Ibadan slave trade in Benin. Ibads. Warriors raided Benin for slaves and captured oba of Benin and put him in captive

Bring proof
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Newton85: 2:18pm On Aug 08, 2021
Menance:

Good for you
You have no reputable source outside Wikipedia then? Okay. Let me ask again, is Nsibidi Igbo?
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Gambit23: 2:19pm On Aug 08, 2021
richiepolymer:

cheesy
Who did this to you na? Or is it that you don't take time to study Nigerian ethnic groups? Etsako people have no roots with igbo. Etsako people are Afenmai people. They have their roots from Benin. I dare you to go there and mention Biafra to them or even mention Nnamdi KANU.....body go tell you. Our grandparents told us how igbo soldiers invaded parts of Etsako land during the coercive and manipulative civil war but thank goodness we fished them all out. cheesy
If Nigeria divides, we return to status quo of 1963. Midwest region.
Edo rich history spreads to Onitsha, Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Ondo, Lagos and Benin Republic (Isidahome kingdom)

""Etsako people have no roots with igbo. Etsako people are Afenmai people. They have their roots from Benin. ""

Any proof to this?

""Edo rich history spreads to Onitsha, Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta,""

This is a very silly lie
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Gambit23: 2:21pm On Aug 08, 2021
Nisiw365:

Screenshot from edited edo blog.

Edo is subgroup of Yoruba just like itsekiri

Bring proof

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Menance: 2:22pm On Aug 08, 2021
BSsniffer:

There's a difference between wearing an attire for political/solidarity purposes and wearing it as an everyday attire. The oluwa(who is a 2nd class royal) wore it purely for political purposes.....your obi wears it as his official attire to visit even foreign dignitaries......plus you've brought no factual proof showing where agbada was adopted from the hausas....did the Senegalese also adopt theirs from the hausas? You're being inchorent and daft.

Babanriga/agbada isn't a Nigerian thing. Anyone can decided to wear it for reasons best know to him.

Obi of Onitsha doesnt wear the babanriga as his official attire stop peddling lies.i have shown you his official attire.

The attire is West African brought by the arabs which anyone can adopt and style.
Why not bring a factual proof where it's said agbda isn't adopted. When you're being treated of waist pain you'll turn around to say it's leg pain.
Different places have their variants and name they call it which was all brought to Africa by the arabs as I've said before.
You can go meet your forefathers or village shrine and ask for your attire before now maybe you will get what you seek. The fact cannot change that agbada is adopted.
Since Wikipedia is so easy to be edited why not go and edit it let me see.

Btw Give me five pictures where the obi of Onitsha wore a babanriga since you're his chief s1ave to know it's his official attire. grin too shallow

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Gambit23: 2:23pm On Aug 08, 2021
SirToby:

Lol...
E shock me
I have a friend from there that goes by the name; Mamudu Ibrahim Zibiri. How can that person be Igbo. Na ment ?

Ur friend could still be a muslim from Edo state
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Menance: 2:24pm On Aug 08, 2021
Newton85:
You have no reputable source outside Wikipedia then? Okay. Let me ask again, is Nsibidi Igbo?

Bring a reputable source that says agbada isn't a variant nor is it adopted. Then I may give you the attention you seek .
Our discussion here is on an attire and not writing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Gambit23: 2:25pm On Aug 08, 2021
Menance:

You see how mischievous you are trying to be? grin
Agbada is an adopted from babanriga. You can go anywhere and ask. This doesn't point but completely tells you agbada is an adopted babanriga which other places have a name and variant for also.
Babanriga is an Hausa attire which is also adopted you can take it to the bank.

Now this is your olowo of iwo in complete isiagu. Should we say he only puts on his retarded agbada once in a while? Now wiki is a source of history for revolutionalist because it doesn't favour you today.

Olowo of Iwo isn't wearing Isi agu in this picture.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Menance: 2:26pm On Aug 08, 2021
Gambit23:

Olowo of Iwo isn't wearing Isi agu in this picture.
What is he wearing?.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Newton85: 2:27pm On Aug 08, 2021
Menance:

Bring a reputable source that says agbada isn't a variant not is it adopted. Then I may give you the attention you seek .
Our discussion here is on an attire and not writing.
Dear genius, the onus of proof is on the one who makes a claim to vindicate himself/herself over a claim. And yeah, I know this isn't about writing, but I just want to know who owns Nsibidi. I'm just curious.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by JuanDeDios: 2:33pm On Aug 08, 2021
Fejoku:
Etsako Central people are not Igbos. Their language and culture is mostly Edoid but one can't rule out small similarities with Igbos because our fathers did travel far and wide those days rendering services all over the SS and SE. Most Estako people are called Afenmai and certain clans their have noted some connections they have with Igbos notably the metalsmiths in one small community their who claim relationship with the famous Awka Blacksmiths. Awka Blacksmiths were known to have travelled to Idah, deep into Edo state and as far as Urhoboland as itinerant artisans. There are historical records by researchers. Masquerade masks from Igboland have been seen among the Estakos which possibly was borrowed from their. This New Yam festival may also be borrowed since most Edoid are not known for having such festivals.
By and large, these people are not Igbos both linguistically and culturally. They are clearly Edoid but certain features among them are also found among the Igbos.
Edo North is a very complex area of different languages. It's very clear that the power of the Benin Kingdom was what held away and greatly influenced.
@bolded
Not true.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by BSsniffer: 2:38pm On Aug 08, 2021
Menance:

Babanriga/agbada isn't a Nigerian thing. Anyone can decided to wear it for reasons best know to him.

Obi of Onitsha doesnt wear the babanriga as his official attire stop peddling lies.i have shown you his official attire.

The attire is West African brought by the arabs which anyone can adopt and style.
Why not bring a factual proof where it's said agbda isn't adopted. When you're being treated of waist pain you'll turn around to say it's leg pain.
Different places have their variants and name they call it which was all brought to Africa by the arabs as I've said before.
You can go meet your forefathers or village shrine and ask for your attire before now maybe you will get what you seek. The fact cannot change that agbada is adopted.
Since Wikipedia is so easy to be edited why not go and edit it let me see.

Btw Give me five pictures where the obi of Onitsha wore a babanriga since you're his chief s1ave to know it's his official attire. grin too shallow

Inconsistent rettarded SoB....
Lol now agbada isn't from hausa but from the Arabs, you're a daft mudafvcker.
Below is a picture of your obi on his birthday wearing a Yoruba styled agbada... shouldn't the fvcker be wearing his isi agwu or whatever recent cloth invention you fvckers wear...

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Menance: 2:46pm On Aug 08, 2021
Newton85:
Dear genius, the onus of proof is on the one who makes a claim to vindicate himself/herself over a claim. And yeah, I know this isn't about writing, but I just want to know who owns Nsibidi. I'm just curious.

Why ask me if nsibidi is Igbo am I your forefathers? grin
Go do some research or ask some village elders. my topic for today is on agbada/babanriga.

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Revolva(m): 2:50pm On Aug 08, 2021
Gambit23:

No, The very first Obi of Onitsha is an IGBO man named Eze Chima, He was a returnee from the old Bini kingdom during the Idu Wars ...Take note of the word RETURNEE. IGBOs were a part and parcel of the Bini kingdom

Igala settlers in SE aren't from onitsha and they dont have a settlement in onitsha.

Noted Sha but you are still wrong ..these r igala settlers in onitsha oo

I ave forgeten d name.of d part of onitsha ..it's evidential na , they even said it that they migrated from idah
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Etinosa1234: 2:53pm On Aug 08, 2021
Menance :

What is he wearing?.

He's wearing cloth grin grin
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Etinosa1234: 2:55pm On Aug 08, 2021
Newton85:

Its not Igbos
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Menance: 2:56pm On Aug 08, 2021
BSsniffer:

Inconsistent rettarded SoB....
Lol now agbada isn't from hausa but from the Arabs, you're a daft mudafvcker.
Below is a picture of your obi on his birthday wearing a Yoruba styled agbada... shouldn't the fvcker be wearing his isi agwu or whatever recent cloth invention you fvckers wear...

Excruciating pains just on hearing the truth which have forced you to start throwing low blows.

Agbada is adopted from babanriga which generally is from the arabs.
You can go kiss a high tension if you're that hurt.
Wikipedia and other credible sources have made it known to you until you can counter with a report from your village Oracle concerning agbada, wiki's claim still stands.

Below is your olowo of iwo which you have reduced to a 2nd class oba. I won't be surprised your next step will be to reduce him to a slave to suit your narrative. grin

Take a while to gather yourself

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by BSsniffer: 3:00pm On Aug 08, 2021
Menance:

Excruciating pains just on hearing the truth which have forced you to start throwing low blows.

Agbada is adopted from babanriga which generally is from the arabs.
You can go kiss a high tension if you're that hurt.
Wikipedia and other credible sources have made it known to you until you can counter with a report from your village Oracle concerning agbada, wiki's claim still stands.

Below is your olowo of iwo which you have reduced to a 2nd class oba. I won't be surprised your next step will be to reduce him to a slave to suit your narrative. grin

Take a while to gather yourself

Comprehension is obviously difficult for you.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Menance: 3:02pm On Aug 08, 2021
BSsniffer:

Comprehension is obviously difficult for you.

Cry me a river.
You're off point.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Amajerry83(m): 3:18pm On Aug 08, 2021
koondog:
When Nnamdi Kanu says we are taking some Edo people with us to Biafra, these are some of the people. These are pure Igbo blood.

If Igbos keep forcing other tribes to go with them it simply means they are worse than the Hausas
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Amajerry83(m): 3:18pm On Aug 08, 2021
end1999constitu:

.....they're all Igbos, they speaks and understands Igbo language and cultures

Lie
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Amajerry83(m): 3:20pm On Aug 08, 2021
Kundagarten:

As long as they live in our dear state, they're Edo people.
Onitsha have a lot of Edo culture, why are we not claiming onitsha? There's Asaba and the rest of Anioma people who have similarities with Edo people.

Don't mind those delusional people forcing others to be with them. It shows how worse they are than the Hausas

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Amajerry83(m): 3:21pm On Aug 08, 2021
Ofunaofu:

You just have to know that EDO STATE is just a mere political state creation

That they are found today in present day Edo State should not erase the fact they might have a cultural and historical connection to the Igbos

Edo has no connection with Igbos historically
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Amajerry83(m): 3:22pm On Aug 08, 2021
udele1:
So because of yam, they are now part of Biafra? grin grin cheesy

No mind the mumu
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Amajerry83(m): 3:23pm On Aug 08, 2021
lordlugards:
They did not resemble igbo people.
They are Igbo. The division will no longer continue, we are wiser now.

They are not Igno. Stop forcing people on you. Na force to claim people?
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Newton85: 3:23pm On Aug 08, 2021
Menance:

Why ask me if nsibidi is Igbo am I your forefathers? grin
Go do some research or ask some village elders. my topic for today is on agbada/babanriga.
Lol, no need crying na. Smh.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by SlayerForever: 3:28pm On Aug 08, 2021
There things make one ethnicity practice some cultural aspects of another ethnicity :

1) Part ancestry and
2) Culture absorption due to proximity.
3) Cultural Imposition through colonization/domination.

Proximity doesn't seem to be the case here as the clan is quite distant from any Igbo clan. Imposition is non existent in Igbo history (Ikwerre deniers who use this excuse are fools).

It would be, there is some Igbo ancestry. However, the Igbo traces surviving may be too little to identify it to Igbo anymore. That may be the case here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by SlayerForever: 3:29pm On Aug 08, 2021
Fejoku:

Igue festival is not New Yam festival. They are two different things. Igue from my findings is a festival for the celebration of a New Year. It is the equivalent of the Igbo Igu-aro festival. The difference is that while the Edo attach a lot of prominence to Igue, only the Umueri clan of Igbos give similar regard to Igu-Aro. The most prominent among all Igbo clans is the New Yam festival called Iri-ji, Iwa-ji or Ikeji. Other notable names for the festival is Ifejioku/ihejioku. This festival is specifically about Yam.
This festival of the Ogbona people is not Igue. It is purely a Yam affair. The pictures are very clear. In all your Igue festival, there's no celebration of Yam.

That dressing is undeniably Igbo. However they may not be Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by SlayerForever: 3:31pm On Aug 08, 2021
[s]
einsteine:
Somebody's name is Kadiri and Igbo people are still here with the attaché by force.

Na wa.
[/s]

Your ignorance is disgusting. Kadiri is a prominent Igbo name. Take a seat abeg.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / Jeremiah Akaava Dies At 116 In Kogi (Oldest Monarch In The World) / Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.