Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,108 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 (13296 Views)

Name Those Premium Softwares You Need But Can't Afford Or Access / Please I Need A Laptop Bv I Can't Afford One. / Pentium M Laptops For Just N16,000 Each ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 4:02pm On May 17, 2011
this is insane. whats going on in that country are you guys that rich ? in the western world they pay the equivalent of N1000 per month.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Ikengawo: 4:24pm On May 17, 2011
Nigerian rich is real rich, western rich can be a mirage.

in NIgeria most ppl don't use credit. everything someone buys and owns they can really afford it. Hummers, planes, whatever.

in the US everyone buys everything on credit. toyotas, and hondas. nobody can put down over $2000 of cash on anything, so nigerians paying this much for internet doesn't surprise me.

i think GEJ should look into this. Nigerian culture can be so greedy and money grubbing that the whole country is suffering under dubai prices for somalia quality services and products. The way he's trying to crash the ridiculous cement price and did for the ridiculous petrol price, he should do the same for the internet, and phone services because nigerians are truely being cheated and deprived by greedy business men and it's not fair. Nigeria should practice price regulation because greed is to endemic in our country.

I hear it cost nigerians $30 just to ENTER a night club.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Rhino5dm: 4:25pm On May 17, 2011
That the fresh air they promise o!

@ Topic. The funny part is after paying that amount the satisfaction is very far to be met.
I used 15k/month. On my laptop with glo. Good speed, good download rate. Unlimited air time. Pay another 5k for my handheld device (this is not funny!)

Deposit 15k for post paid telephone which i normally balance like 5k.

Pay 5k/month for NEPA(public electricity which is not there) and fuel my gen with diesel of 25/month min.

But the sweet thing is all my income is almost TAX free!
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Nobody: 4:26pm On May 17, 2011
Its all down to dearth of infrastructure
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 4:35pm On May 17, 2011
Ikengawo:

in NIgeria most ppl don't use credit. everything someone buys and owns they can really afford it. Hummers, planes, whatever.

in the US everyone buys everything on credit. toyotas, and hondas. nobody can put down over $2000 of cash on anything, so nigerians paying this much for internet doesn't surprise me.

i think GEJ should look into this. Nigerian culture can be so greedy and money grubbing that the whole country is suffering under dubai prices for somalia quality services and products. The way he's trying to crash the ridiculous cement price and did for the ridiculous petrol price, he should do the same for the internet, and phone services because nigerians are truely being cheated and deprived by greedy business men and it's not fair. Nigeria should practice price regulation because greed is to endemic in our country.

Rhino.5dm:

@ Topic. The funny part is after paying that amount the satisfaction is very far to be met.
I used 15k/month. On my laptop with glo. Good speed, good download rate. Unlimited air time. Pay another 5k for my handheld device (this is not funny!)

Pay 5k/month for NEPA(public electricity which is not there) and fuel my gen with diesel of 25/month min.

this is what they call 'gouging' . this is very unfair. extremely unfair. now my question is this, are the exploiters nigerians or are they foreigners who have swooped onto the country to crate away its riches to their own countrys ? and why are nigerians paying for these services ? must you guys have them ? why promote corruption and greed ? why not just get 5 households together and then pay 1 wireless internet bill and then share the same passwords and then access the same service for the price of 1. this way you are fighting back
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 4:37pm On May 17, 2011
donspony:

Its all down to dearth of infrastructure

so the prices are justified because of the dearth of infrastructure ?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by coogar: 4:38pm On May 17, 2011
buzugee:

this is insane. whats going on in that country are you guys that rich ? in the western world they pay the equivalent of N1000 per month.

the infrastructure is not up to standard yet so the price at this time will be very dear. in the next 3-7 years, the price would come down. there was a time only the elite could afford digital tv(dstv). these days, tenants get it installed for free in some housing estates in lagos.

buzugee:

so the prices are justified because of the dearth of infrastructure ? 

the overheads the service providers incur is the reason for the high prices. most of these providers generate power from their own diesel when the govt should be providing 24/7 electricity.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by satani22: 4:39pm On May 17, 2011
But some foooooools on Niraland siad Government to take away subsidy wheres everything is already expensive
Rhino.5dm:

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by MaiSuya(m): 4:41pm On May 17, 2011
15k/month? Abi na broadband? Anway, proly becus i get 2 browse free @wrk, i dont spend more dan 5k-month, & i do a LOT of browsing, by d way.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Rhino5dm: 4:50pm On May 17, 2011
^^someone is still paying for what you term as 'free'.
Try subscribing for a month and probably stream like 3 HD movies then comeback. grin grin grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by satani22: 4:52pm On May 17, 2011
Ikengawo:

Oga Dstv be the best satellite provider for we country. We pay N10,300 for full view every 30 days. Everything too cost for here
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kilode1: 5:02pm On May 17, 2011
buzugee:

"You have to be rich to be poor." -DeNeen L. Brown

You asked a question many economists have struggled with for decades. The link below will give some insight from a US perspective, but I think it applies to Nigeria too. Actually, I think it's worse in Nigeria if you factor in our corruption rate and our incoherent economic/public policies.

Also, doing business in a disorganized and unstable economy is very expensive. Smart and corrupt businessmen will take advantage if that too and profit to the max.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/17/AR2009051702053.html?sid=ST2009051801162

http://www.brookings.edu/opinions/2006/0723california_fellowes.aspx
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by texazzpete(m): 5:07pm On May 17, 2011
buzugee:

Don't be silly. $160 isn't N16000. Since when was $1 = 100 Naira?

Also, it's patently false to say the 'western world' pays the equivalent of N1000 a month. Which carrier in the UK and US will give you broadband HSDPA for $7? Name them.

While our internet costs ARE high in Nigeria, you're being unneccesarily alarmist. MTN's 5GB 3G data plan is 8K a month, Glo is 7K for 6GB. You can even get somewhat cheaper tranches for less cash.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Ikengawo: 5:08pm On May 17, 2011
the NG federal gov. should do what it's doing in cement elsewhere, get providers to provide realistic prices.
infrustructure is a lame excuse, if you can provide ANYONE with the service you have the infrustructure. It's just greed.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by mcnepow(m): 5:25pm On May 17, 2011
coogar:

the overheads the service providers incur is the reason for the high prices. most of these providers generate power from their own diesel when the govt should be providing 24/7 electricity.
But they rake in billions as profit? That shouldnt be an excuse.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by 2muchlogic(m): 5:39pm On May 17, 2011
texazzpete:

Also, it's patently false to say the 'western world' pays the equivalent of N1000 a month. Which carrier in the UK and US will give you broadband HSDPA for $7? Name them.

Some carriers do charge prices that low http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/?portalId=GOO_BRA&WT.mc_id=GOO_BRA

but very few, but since the market is competitive they sell packages instead e.g  Satelite TV + Landline Phone + Broadband + Movies on demand +,  which can add up

texazzpete:

While our internet costs ARE high in Nigeria, you're being unneccesarily alarmist. MTN's 5GB 3G data plan is 8K a month, Glo is 7K for 6GB. You can even get somewhat cheaper tranches for less cash.

Thats pretty sad, I pay N6500 per month for an UNLIMITED data plan, its 3G, and I run it 24/7, 365. It has been down for a mere 3 hours in 8 years - very reliable.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by coogar: 5:46pm On May 17, 2011
mcnepow:

But they rake in billions as profit? That shouldnt be an excuse.

they are there to make profits - they aren't charitable organizations. the nigerian government milked them dry for the licenses and other issues forgetting it's the common man that suffers the effect. the government don't care as long as they make their own money. by the time these companies work out the checks & balance, the math puts it at 16,000 per month internet bill for the customer - you!
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Beaf: 5:57pm On May 17, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

If its from thuggery, where does tax come in?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Rhino5dm: 6:05pm On May 17, 2011
Sir! How much did you paid in TAX from your fresh air money? . . .Be honest!

Beaf:

If its from thuggery, where does tax come in?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by 2muchlogic(m): 6:09pm On May 17, 2011
coogar:

the infrastructure is not up to standard yet so the price at this time will be very dear. in the next 3-7 years, the price would come down. there was a time only the elite could afford digital tv(dstv). these days, tenants get it installed for free in some housing estates in lagos.

Thats a good point, the providers do not have the luxury of basic electricity and other amenities, however is the cost of staff and engineers not cheaper in nigeria? But on the other hand how did the nigerian government invest the license fees?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 6:12pm On May 17, 2011
coogar:

ok i guess that is an acceptable explanation for 10 percent of the mark-up price. how about the other 90 percent ? grin this is extreme capitalism. actually scratch that. that is extreme highway robbery
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by coogar: 6:12pm On May 17, 2011
2muchlogic:

Thats a good point, the providers do not have the luxury of basic electricity and other amenities, however is the cost of staff and engineers not cheaper in nigeria? But on the other hand how did the nigerian government invest the license fees?

the govt spent it by buying properties for their girlfriends/concubines in abuja and lagos environs.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 6:15pm On May 17, 2011
satani22:

Oga Dstv be the best satellite provider for we country. We pay N10,300 for full view every 30 days. Everything too cost for here
in england wireless broadband is 6 pounds a month. and what happens is that landlords now provide this free for all tenants so when you move somewhere the internet is shared by all. as part of your tenancy agreement you recieve the password of the wireless grin free bruv.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Rhino5dm: 6:17pm On May 17, 2011
That was the moment Atiefku made his money. Yet no one was able to mention that except MR. Fresh air which was due to political reason. Naija i hail thee!

2muchlogic:

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by coogar: 6:18pm On May 17, 2011
buzugee:

ok i guess that is an acceptable explanation for 10 percent of the mark-up price. how about the other 90 percent ?  grin this is extreme capitalism. actually scratch that. that is extreme highway robbery

power(no power supply from the govt, these providers generate their own power supply)
security(no adequate security in nigeria, these providers employ their own security outfits to protect their facilities).
licensing(the providers were milked dry by the govt before being allowed to operate. they have now turned on the consumers to recuperate).
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 6:19pm On May 17, 2011
texazzpete:

Don't be silly. $160 isn't N16000. Since when was $1 = 100 Naira?

i use talk2talk. its 6 pounds a month. its broadband.  grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 6:21pm On May 17, 2011
Kilode?!:

"You have to be rich to be poor." -DeNeen L. Brown

You asked a question many economists have struggled with for decades. The link below will give some insight from a US perspective, but I think it applies to Nigeria too. Actually, I think it's worse in Nigeria if you factor in our corruption rate and our incoherent economic/public policies.

Also, doing business in a disorganized and unstable economy is very expensive. Smart and corrupt businessmen will take advantage if that too and profit to the max.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/17/AR2009051702053.html?sid=ST2009051801162

http://www.brookings.edu/opinions/2006/0723california_fellowes.aspx

deep.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by coogar: 6:21pm On May 17, 2011
buzugee:

i use talk2talk. its 6 pounds a month. its broadband.  grin

i use talk-talk too. the package is housephone/broadband, i don't know how much i pay. cheesy
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 6:22pm On May 17, 2011
Ikengawo:

the NG federal gov. should do what it's doing in cement elsewhere, get providers to provide realistic prices.
infrustructure is a lame excuse, if you can provide ANYONE with the service you have the infrustructure. It's just greed.
GBAM
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Rhino5dm: 6:26pm On May 17, 2011
Don't gbam anything, the FG is part of the problem as the syndicates at NCC get their 'return' per second. They are much invove in the scheming of things.

buzugee:

GBAM
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 6:28pm On May 17, 2011
coogar:

i use talk-talk too. the package is housephone/broadband, i don't know how much i pay. cheesy
BRUV MINE IS FREE. i get it free. free internet. these poor saps in naija are paying N16000 for something most people get free in england. WOW. naija we hail thee
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 6:31pm On May 17, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Don't gbam anything, the FG is part of the problem as the syndicates at NCC get their 'return' per second. They are much invove in the scheming of things.

bruv but still, you have to accept and admit that you are being gouged. once you can accept and acknowledge that fact, then you can start confronting it. until then ? keep being a mugu. you hear ?  grin come on man this thing is like a tap that they open from the source and then everyone gets it. no huge investment once it is up and running. just sit down and collect the cash. cost of operation for these things is pretty minimal.
you pay the engineers
cost of diesel
workers at the call center
utility bills

and the rest is profit. these people are raking it in

this is why etisalat can afford to pay its directors (who do diddly squat) N50,000,000 PER ANNUM SALARY. and these are the nigerian directors. the arab directors are probably on double that. thats all yalls money that is being shared out. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Grade1 Uk Hp450g2 5th Gen Core I3 @115k / Screenshots of Our PC Desktops / Order For Your Laptop ( NEW And LONDON USED) Deliver Anywhere In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.