Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,978 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 - Computers (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 (13285 Views)

Name Those Premium Softwares You Need But Can't Afford Or Access / Please I Need A Laptop Bv I Can't Afford One. / Pentium M Laptops For Just N16,000 Each ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 2:23pm On May 18, 2011
ziccoit:

O n fi wa se yeye abi = You are mocking us heh? Nigerians have suffered for a long time that suffering is even viewed as a blessing or prelude to better thing to come.

That is why I like the Ibo guys. Making profit of 100 naira from 1000 buyers/month gives the profit of 100,000 naira and your business grows because more people will come on board. The providers in Nigeria believe in making #1000 profits from 50buyers/month plus high rate of people hacking into their system to get free what they are being denied by the crazy tariffs.
i no take una laugh oo. i dey empathize with una  grin

got lucky kee @ isale gan ? this no be popularity contest oo. this is an outrage that a bunch of arabs will come into your country and then do what they cant do in their own countrys or in the west to you. you ever wonder why there is no etisalat in europe ? because they will not be allowed to make the kind of crazy profits they make in africa. europeans are very protective of their economy. they abhor capital flight. capital flight ruins economies. so in the vein of trying to prevent capital flight, the europeans will cap their rates at say 7 pounds per month or something like that. but in naija they can come in and clean out 60 pounds per month per household and take all the countrys money to saudi arabia. nonsense.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by jaybee3(m): 2:26pm On May 18, 2011
buzugee:

i am not a technical minded person. and personally i dont go on the internet to download stuff. i just surf and get info etc etc. but i am sure technical whiz kids can circumvent anything. for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. for anything made there is a way to unmake it. thats what i believe.
Well I'm afraid you can't circumvent that cos the more load brings issue of erratic connection.
Why do you think most offices anywhere in the world have connectivity issues around certain hours of the day?

streaming on the internet (you tube et al) means you are downloading and in-turn adds up to the download limit
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 2:33pm On May 18, 2011
jay bee:

Well I'm afraid you can't circumvent that cos the more load brings issue of erratic connection.
Why do you think most offices anywhere in the world have connectivity issues around certain hours of the day?

streaming on the internet (you tube et al) means you are downloading and in-turn adds up to the download limit
well notwithstanding there are ways. a few people in nigeria have professed to getting it for free. if thats what you have to do to prevent capital flight, then thats what you have to do. but if you feel comfortable paying $160 per month for substandard crap that the rest of the world is paying absolutely nothing for, well then more power to you.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Nobody: 2:36pm On May 18, 2011
That $100 pays for a lot oh.

Just for internet only ke? mu hehe. Nigerians are rich people o shocked
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kobojunkie: 2:42pm On May 18, 2011
LeoMax:

I can understand the doubts and the disbeliev, but truth remains truth even in the face of doubts and disbelieve. Someone suggested Inverter, thats great, cos I called the inverter company and they are coming to check on my apartment and equipments to know the KVA or whatever range of inverter they will install for me, but they said the cheapest I can have will cost me N290,000 with 1yr warranty on it. I think its a good alternative even if it can last for just 1 yr.

Is there any alternative to N16,800 visaphone internet ? and the DSTV ? I can hardly cut down on fueling my car and home keeping allowance, my fiancee wont let me go below 30k monthly cos she complained alot that 30k isnt even enough for food.

You don't get it still @LeoMax, I don't not believe your claim that you pay so much . . .  I think you really pay that much for those services. What I doubt is whether you really want to not pay that much for those services. Get it? I think you probably think you need to pay for those and maybe are feeling guilty or something along those lines.

Considering how much you spend on generators a month, I think you are a prime candidate for Solar energy, it may not power all your appliances and may require you cutting back on the airconditioning, but I think it beats flushing money down the drain like you do now(IMO).

Also, the Visaphone internet at Naira 16,800, I say if you can afford it and you feel YOU feel you NEED it, why cry about it? Same with DSTV.

For Car issue, there is now public transport I hear, I mean it may not be a daily thing but you can, maybe drive close to the station, park your car somewhere OK, take the bus to work(might require you waking up an hour or two early -- take a good book with you) and back and you will cut down on cost of that but again, if you enjoy driving, I see no reason for you to complain especially if you can afford it.  

All I am saying is, you are telling us all this but I wonder if it is the case that you really want to cut back or that you are just having some guilt problem there.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 2:53pm On May 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

That $100 pays for a lot oh.

Just for internet only ke? mu hehe. Nigerians are rich people o shocked
abi ? lol
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by beejaei: 3:00pm On May 18, 2011
@Ileke-Idi

Where do you school?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by beejaei: 3:01pm On May 18, 2011
^^^
Want to know more about your summer research
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by JUO(m): 3:09pm On May 18, 2011
i don't understand what u guys mean by unlimited. is it mtn 8k for 5gb or glo 7k for 6gb you call unlimited? somebody explain to me
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by 2muchlogic(m): 3:27pm On May 18, 2011
JUO:

i don't understand what u guys mean by unlimited. is it mtn 8k for 5gb or glo 7k for 6gb you call unlimited? somebody explain to me

It means unlimited, as in download as much as you like for as long as you like - no limit.  whereas if they say 5GB or 8GB etc, they will charge you for each extra mb over that limit. However, in reality there is no such thing as "unlimited use" its just a marketing trick, the ISPs bank on the fact that not all customers will take advantage of the offer and they will not all be active at the same time.  But if all users are active and download lots of data one will notice a drop in speed; and in extreme cases they will disconnect heavy users every now and then to balance the load.

8GB should be enough for surfing the internet but if you like to download movies (around 700mb each), lots of music and pictures and streaming videos, then you will need more.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by JUO(m): 3:37pm On May 18, 2011
pls let them know, some people use mtn 8k or glo 7k and they will tell u is unlimited
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by yommys01(m): 6:15pm On May 18, 2011
For me the price is nothing provided the price amounts to the quality. I am on Starcoms and pay 16k per month but it is rubbish.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by coogar: 1:01pm On May 19, 2011
buzugee:

this your post is relevant if this is 1990. this is 2011, without the internet you are entrapped in a cocoon of your own little world which is your immediate surroundings. you cant make any progress in life like that. the internet is, and should, not be an elitist acquisition. everyone should have access to it. coogar, this your post is elitist.

what do market women, vulcanizers, hairdressers, mechanics use the internet for? we are talking about nigeria ffs not the united kingdom. even the so called students, what do they do on it apart from facebook and other social networking sites? the speed is not enough to watch clips on youtube so what they can do on it is actually limited. "without internet, you are entrapped in a cocoon of one's little world" is the funniest thing i have read on this thread. who told you mobile internet is the only way to get by in nigeria? aren't there cybercafes anymore?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Magasanwoo: 5:34am On May 20, 2011
Ahh baba Y u go talk so.dont u kno say if household dey use am like dat say server go dey slow and d smtp no go deliva talkless of say i see sure mayes
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Plutonium(m): 9:46pm On May 20, 2011
Debroslink:

FBT(FREE BROWSING TRICK) is d best!!!

I reside in lagos nd i'm posting ds 4 free. Having my IWP, PRIVOXY, JONDO et al on my pc, why shd i pay to surf d net

I'm sure many of u guyz are ignorant of CASTS apps on mobile fones.

I dwload unlimited at d rate of 355KB/S for free on my pc.

Guys who are enjoying what i'm saying should say F.B.T
  grin grin grin

bloody good info
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by USA1234567: 12:38pm On May 21, 2011
I am tired of this Fucking Nigeria
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by ogagusps3: 9:43pm On May 21, 2011
Wont we have our internet problems fixed If any state govt could just Peform a PPP(Public-Private Partnership) with a group that wants to go into Internet service providing. Convince them to not go into wireless ISP but lay fibre
Cables across their state in order to provide much better internet services at a cheaper price. All the company has to do is manage their cables in the state while the state govt spends 6 months building a fibre optics submarine cable with a capacity of about 4 Tb/s. This will cost the state about 20 billion Naira. This is a huge investment but will actually profit the state govt. on the long run. They build the cable and depending on the amount of people in the state, allocate a fixed amount of bandwidth to the ISP they partnered with.
Take Rivers State for example, there are about 5million people in the state. Allocating 1Mb/s to 10 people, we will need 500000Mb/s=500Gb/s to give everyone the type of broadband people get abroad. Owing to the fact that all people in the state won't be on the ISP network and also the amount of people who either are extremely poor or do not know how to use computers we can say the state is only gonna use 100Gb/s. But they are also people who can use 10-25Mb/s all by themselves + companies who need 100Mb/s for their own use is should leave the usage at 500Gb/s. 
The ISP will, with govt. Influence( their giving the bandwidth to them for free), have make their service affordable at  cheap prices ( E.g =N=1500 per month with 1Mb/s upload and 1Mb/s download reserved bandwidth for each customer and =N=15000 for 10Mbps up and down. 
The state govt. can then sell the remaining bandwidth to other ISP and other states that want to take part in the same project. The ISP will start making profit soon and Within 3 years the state would have recovered all money used to build it. The people would have broadband which will also help in the state development.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Grade1 Uk Hp450g2 5th Gen Core I3 @115k / Screenshots of Our PC Desktops / Order For Your Laptop ( NEW And LONDON USED) Deliver Anywhere In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.