Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,045 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 - Computers (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 (13286 Views)

Name Those Premium Softwares You Need But Can't Afford Or Access / Please I Need A Laptop Bv I Can't Afford One. / Pentium M Laptops For Just N16,000 Each ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Nobody: 9:31am On May 18, 2011
Sory 4 guys spending a lot on internet. Me browse a month with only N200. Downloading and doing other things normal {facebook id:victor king ugbana}
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kobojunkie: 9:32am On May 18, 2011
I get all that but the fact that you have 30Grand to essentially flush down the drain each month, that part is what I am referring to. 30K down the drain each month? Naira Naira 160,000 a month? Since you make the money, I say you relax and enjoy the spending of it rather than thinking it is all bad. I mean sure there are alternatives that could save you money in the long run but I doubt any of you there are looking to cut back at all. lol
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by damola1: 9:34am On May 18, 2011
Personally, I think Nigeria has developed from what it used to pay 5years ago, when we were compelled to go to cybercafes.

I also believe, after sometime, more and more people will complain, and Joe will summon them to cut down prices in 30 days!
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Nobody: 9:53am On May 18, 2011
I can understand the doubts and the disbeliev, but truth remains truth even in the face of doubts and disbelieve. Someone suggested Inverter, thats great, cos I called the inverter company and they are coming to check on my apartment and equipments to know the KVA or whatever range of inverter they will install for me, but they said the cheapest I can have will cost me N290,000 with 1yr warranty on it. I think its a good alternative even if it can last for just 1 yr.

Is there any alternative to N16,800 visaphone internet ? and the DSTV ? I can hardly cut down on fueling my car and home keeping allowance, my fiancee wont let me go below 30k monthly cos she complained alot that 30k isnt even enough for food.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by rasputinn(m): 10:15am On May 18, 2011
@ OP
Do you have alternatives to profer??
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by hercules07: 10:22am On May 18, 2011
@leo

Dont throw away your Gen yet, you will need to charge the batteries, by the way that cost will give you a 1KVA inverter (American) with three 12V batteries, that one can not last long ooooooooooo, with what you wrote up there, you need a 5KVA Xantrex inverter with up 8 batteries and an external charger (say up to 100A charging), let me do small calculations for you. Let us say you have a 5KVA Xantrex inverter with 8 24V batteries rated at 200AH, at full load (when you are using the full 5KVA), the batteries will discharge in 7.68 Hours, the formula is load divided by battery voltage multiplied by total AH (8 batteries gives 1600AH), now you will need a charger that can charge those batteries quickly (a 200A charger will take 8 hours to fully charge them), so, for eight hours, you are charging your batteries (imagine running 5 1HP ACs for 8 hours straight), of course all of the calculations above guarantees 24hours (8 hours to discharge, 8 hours charging, 8 hours to discharge again), what this means is you will need to run your Gen for at most 8 hours a day, if you have NEPA for 8 hours, you will not need to run the Gen but your NEPA bill will be something else.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by 2muchlogic(m): 10:24am On May 18, 2011
darkman200:

Dude! there was no 3G   8 years ago, stop bragging!

Who are you calling Dude like i'm your mate? What a prat! you said 3g did not exist 8 years ago?  http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/aug/21/newmedia this is what happens when you are poor and uneducated - fool.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Nobody: 10:29am On May 18, 2011
My company pays about N4.5m for Vsat, at best its average and alot of down time
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Koolking(m): 10:37am On May 18, 2011
N16,000 for Internet service that is not optimally ok is a ripped-off. That's what Starcomms charges every month for its 24/7 Internet service.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by ziccoit: 10:49am On May 18, 2011
buzugee:

BRUV MINE IS FREE. i get it free. free internet. these poor saps in naija are paying N16000 for something most people get free in england. WOW. naija we hail thee

O n fi wa se yeye abi = You are mocking us heh? Nigerians have suffered for a long time that suffering is even viewed as a blessing or prelude to better thing to come.

That is why I like the Ibo guys. Making profit of 100 naira from 1000 buyers/month gives the profit of 100,000 naira and your business grows because more people will come on board. The providers in Nigeria believe in making #1000 profits from 50buyers/month plus high rate of people hacking into their system to get free what they are being denied by the crazy tariffs.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by jmaine: 10:56am On May 18, 2011
Amazing posts when peeps in Naija have been using the internet free for like 4 years now with a plethora of tunnelers at our disposal . . .we pay as low as N800 to browse unlimited so that is = $ 5.3  . . . When you are in Naija and you are scared of paying those outrageous amount we don't even care to know about, hit a few lords in the world of FBT( Free browsing tricks) in naija . . .we are irrepressible and we make things happen . . . Free unlimited browsing clocking 4 years now . . .even their Chinese mercenaries who were paid heavily to block all loop holes went home feeling frustrated . . . FBT forever jare until our ISP crash their prizes to N1000 for unlimited true broadband speed.  . those in favour, say aye !!
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Nobody: 11:00am On May 18, 2011
jmaine:

Amazing posts when peeps in Naija have been using the internet free for like 4 years now with a plethora of tunnelers at our disposal . . .we pay as low as N800 to browse unlimited so that is = $ 5.3  . . . When you are in Naija and you are scared of paying those outrageous amount we don't even care to know about, hit a few lords in the world of FBT( Free browsing tricks) in naija . . .we are irrepressible and we make things happen . . . Free unlimited browsing clocking 4 years now . . .even their Chinese mercenaries who were paid heavily to block all loop holes went home feeling frustrated . . .who fit use hand block wind . .you go tire . . . FBT forever jare until our ISP crash their prizes to N1000 for unlimited true broadband speed.  . those in favour, say aye !!
Aye aye sir
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by denzel2009: 11:02am On May 18, 2011
2muchlogic:

Who are you calling Dude like i'm your mate? What a prat! you said 3g did not exist 8 years ago?  http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/aug/21/newmedia this is what happens when you are poor and uneducated - fool. 

cheesy cheesy grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by ziccoit: 11:08am On May 18, 2011
Nigerians are even paying more than 16k/month. 5GB/month at 8k on MTN is so inadequate. If I don't restrict myself with good speed, I can finish that in one day. Imagine I use 100GB/month that would translate to 20 multiply by 8k= 160k/month!

Hee, I don die o. grin grin grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by edoyad(m): 11:13am On May 18, 2011
jmaine:

Amazing posts when peeps in Naija have been using the internet free for like 4 years now with a plethora of tunnelers at our disposal . . .we pay as low as N800 to browse unlimited so that is = $ 5.3  . . . When you are in Naija and you are scared of paying those outrageous amount we don't even care to know about, hit a few lords in the world of FBT( Free browsing tricks) in naija . . .we are irrepressible and we make things happen . . . Free unlimited browsing clocking 4 years now . . .even their Chinese mercenaries who were paid heavily to block all loop holes went home feeling frustrated . . . FBT forever jare until our ISP crash their prizes to N1000 for unlimited true broadband speed.  . those in favour, say aye !!
but sir, the holy scriptures say thou must payest for every service enjoyed grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Nobody: 11:18am On May 18, 2011
2muchlogic:

Who are you calling Dude like i'm your mate? What a prat! you said 3g did not exist 8 years ago?    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/aug/21/newmedia   this is what happens when you are poor and uneducated - fool. 
Dude, the word dude has no age limit and why do you think you are older than him cos he called you dude. If you feel you are too old to mingle then slam your pc on the floor or stop visiting that cyber cafe
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by jmaine: 11:21am On May 18, 2011
edoyad:

but sir, the holy scriptures say thou must payest for every service enjoyed grin

How we wan take do am oga mi  cheesy cheesy. . . those ISP's guyz for don turn us to cave men like NITEL did in them days  shocked . . . we just had to adapt to their threat . . . .and so far so good, we are doing fine  grin grin . . .and they have being coping with our activities so far which means they could offer more than exploit negatively our market size
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by 2muchlogic(m): 11:30am On May 18, 2011
blink182:

Dude, the word dude has no age limit and why do you think you are older than him cos he could you dude. If you feel you are too old to mingle then slam your pc on the floor or stop visiting that cyber cafe

Look at this boy trying to explain the common colloquial term "DUDE"  grin grin grin I'm not an old piece of worn out sh%%t like you, wtf are you talking about age limit? You unemployed gay, sitting in a filthy, cheap web cafe all day.  I surf from my office, home or smartphone - where did you crawl out from? Mind your own business and pi%%s off!
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Debroslink: 11:35am On May 18, 2011
FBT(FREE BROWSING TRICK) is d best!!!

I reside in lagos nd i'm posting ds 4 free. Having my IWP, PRIVOXY, JONDO et al on my pc, why shd i pay to surf d net

I'm sure many of u guyz are ignorant of CASTS apps on mobile fones.

I dwload unlimited at d rate of 355KB/S for free on my pc.

Guys who are enjoying what i'm saying should say F.B.T
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by SuperCool8: 12:06pm On May 18, 2011
Glad I found this discussion, I posted a question about this sometime ago,

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=663381.msg8286443#msg8286443

This discussion goes to show me there are better alternatives, even free ones grin.

Which of the major suppliers should I go for?

thanks
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by ziccoit: 12:12pm On May 18, 2011
Debroslink:

FBT(FREE BROWSING TRICK) is d best!!!

I reside in lagos nd i'm posting ds 4 free. Having my IWP, PRIVOXY, JONDO et al on my pc, why shd i pay to surf d net

I'm sure many of u guyz are ignorant of CASTS apps on mobile fones.

I dwload unlimited at d rate of 355KB/S for free on my pc.

Guys who are enjoying what i'm saying should say F.B.T

I said it. Nigerians love to suffer and smile. Your FBT is still inadequate. Do you really think it's worthy of being boastful about? Somebody just cited a Biblical verse that prohibits such. The FBT is due to a kind of error that when fixed, it will just die a natural death.

What is the essence of this thread if not for finding a solution to the raised problem? Funny enough, a Nigerian living abroad creates this thread; sensitising us on what we ought to have noticed and attacked since. If we have government and NCC that don't work, is it not fear enough to put them on their toes so that they are more responsive to the yearning of common people?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by biilwwu(m): 12:32pm On May 18, 2011
Nigerians ,We need to work together for us to be free from those exploiting us, last Dec , I was in US, I notice that u don't need to subscribe personally for internet facility, all u need is to get the access key for your wireless internet, and pay along with people in your locality.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by microgint: 12:43pm On May 18, 2011
playmode:

You should read this article :

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/technology/22iht-broadband22.html?_r=1

Overseeing South Korea's audacious expansion plan is Choi Gwang-gi, 28, a soft-spoken engineer.

I think that should mean 28 years, while in Nigeria grandfathers who don't have any need for future technology will head such projects.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by jmaine: 1:19pm On May 18, 2011
At a point in this country . .mobiles phone were reserved for the extremely wealthy and that ended with the advent of the GSM companies . .at a point in this country mobiles call rates were expensive and now that is history . . .at a point in this country  . . .exorbitant cafe fees were a norm you couldn't avoid  . . but that is history cos people now use their phones and personal modems to browse privately . .internet subscription could be said to be high now but very soon . .that will be a thing of the past as competition and demand force certain things down . . . no one can dispute the fact that lack of infrastructure is partly to blame . . .to achieve true broadband speed and delivery  . . running underground fiber optic cable in most cranny of the country is a must and so far we have been found wanting in that aspect though Glo and MTN keep preaching they have done it ( one of the reason why GLO1 undersea cable revolutionary potential will only be a mirage if there is no fiber optic backbone to take it into the streets where homes and enterprises could be connected). . . but i believe with time we shall come good . . .whining now won't change anything cos the guyz are in it to make profits while we squeal under their grip . . .as for me and my house we shall strive to always bypass all censorship till all is well . . .no hard feelings bout that . .
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by isalegan2: 1:34pm On May 18, 2011
Very informative thread.  Good work, Buzugee.  You got lucky.

Kilode?!:

I think I should be hired to write a trade copy for the Federal Ministry of Commerce, any contacts [/b]cool

Maybe I'll send you some digits (like my sis's) but I have to know more about you first.  Can't very well hook her up with a Jekyl and Hyde.  tongue

Kobojunkie:

Fuel for Generator Naira 31000 a Month? [b]Why do I get the feeling you folks are not being honest, at least with your own selves here
undecided I am not saying you are both lying or anything but come on . . . if you enjoy living the way you do, then own up to it please. No need for the guilt ooo!!! If you can afford to pay all that while living in Nigeria then I say the place fit una.

Where is Egbon Ola Olabiy?  You see how your ward attacks people for no reason?  Just remember that.

2muchlogic:

Who are you calling Dude like i'm your mate? What a prat! you said 3g did not exist 8 years ago?    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/aug/21/newmedia   this is what happens when you are poor and uneducated - fool. 

2muchlogic:

Look at this boy trying to explain the common colloquial term "DUDE"  grin grin grin I'm not an old piece of worn out sh%%t like you, wtf are you talking about age limit? You unemployed gay, sitting in a filthy, cheap web cafe all day.  I surf from my office, home or smartphone - where did you crawl out from? Mind your own business and pi%%s off!

You sure are cranky! shocked  It's okay.  I'm used to cranky old dudes men.  cheesy

microgi@nt:

I think that should mean 28 years, while in Nigeria grandfathers who don't have any need for future technology will head such projects.

How do you make your siggy do that? smiley

ziccoit:

That is why I like the Ibo guys. Making profit of 100 naira from 1000 buyers/month gives the profit of 100,000 naira and your business grows because more people will come on board.  

They need you here (below).  More coming together, less tribalism.  smiley

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-667076.96.html
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 1:56pm On May 18, 2011

u keep beating about the bush. i don't blame the companies charging the high prices, i blame our government for not having a regulatory body in place to keep these providers in check. these providers come into the country to invest and the government tax them to the hilt - forgetting it's the consumers that will bear the brunt. the government don't care about the citizens as far as their own stomachs are filled to the brim. the government don't provide an enabling environment for the internet business to thrive. no power supply, no security, etc.

the point about living on $2 a day is also weak. that is what average nigerians live on, not the elite. an average nigerian does not care about the internet(except the borrow-posers) who live well beyond their means in the name of "forming". not everyone lives on $2 per day in nigeria. some actually spend $5000 a day in that same lagos. there's a reason the prices are high in nigeria - it is simply because the demand is high. why can't the government provide their own internet service to create a price war with the private companies?
this your post is relevant if this is 1990. this is 2011, without the internet you are entrapped in a cocoon of your own little world which is your immediate surroundings. you cant make any progress in life like that. the internet is, and should, not be an elitist acquisition. everyone should have access to it. coogar, this your post is elitist.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 2:04pm On May 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I get all that but the fact that you have 30Grand to essentially flush down the drain each month, that part is what I am referring to. 30K down the drain each month? Naira Naira 160,000 a month? Since you make the money, I say you relax and enjoy the spending of it rather than thinking it is all bad. I mean [b]sure there are alternatives that could save you money in the long run but I doubt any of you there are looking to cut back at all. lo[/b]l
  grin grin grin cut back keee ? they are trying to outflex each other in naija. the more you pay for stuff the bigger the bragging rights grin crazy mindset
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 2:13pm On May 18, 2011
rasputinn:

@ OP
Do you have alternatives to profer??
alternatives ? i dont have, but i bet you there are millions of ways to circumvent this outrageous gouging. nigerians are smart so i am sure you will figure something out soon enough. like i said earlier a whole bunch of neighbors can pay for one service, and then you all share the access password amongst each other and then connect to it. so like a whole street can log into one service while paying for just 1 service. dunno if that wil work in naija but i am sure there are tonnes of ways around this outrage. viva la revolucionnnnn angry
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by jaybee3(m): 2:15pm On May 18, 2011
buzugee:

alternatives ? i dont have, but i bet you there are millions of ways to circumvent this outrageous gouging. nigerians are smart so i am sure you will figure something out soon enough. like i said earlier a whole bunch of neighbors can pay for one service, and then you all share the access password amongst each other and then connect to it. so like a whole street can log into one service while paying for just 1 service. dunno if that wil work in naija but i am sure there are tonnes of ways around this outrage. viva la revolucionnnnn angry
How do you propose they get round the download limit going by your alternative solution?

Besides why encourage theft when it obvious most dubious Nigerians won't limit it to Comms. You'd have to deal with them stealing energy as well ya know?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 2:15pm On May 18, 2011
2muchlogic:

Who are you calling Dude like i'm your mate? What a prat! you said 3g did not exist 8 years ago?    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/aug/21/newmedia   this is what happens when you are poor and uneducated - fool. 
blink182:

Dude, the word dude has no age limit and why do you think you are older than him cos he called you dude. If you feel you are too old to mingle then slam your pc on the floor or stop visiting that cyber cafe
 grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Debroslink: 2:16pm On May 18, 2011
ziccoit:

I said it. Nigerians love to suffer and smile. Your FBT is still inadequate. Do you really think it's worthy of being boastful about? Somebody just cited a Biblical verse that prohibits such. The FBT is due to a kind of error that when fixed, it will just die a natural death.

What is the essence of this thread if not for finding a solution to the raised problem? Funny enough, a Nigerian living abroad creates this thread; sensitising us on what we ought to have noticed and attacked since. If we have government and NCC that don't work, is it not fear enough to put them on their toes so that they are more responsive to the yearning of common people?

SINCE 2001, WE'VE BEEN COMPLAINING ABOUT HIGH COST OF TARIFF IN INTERNET BROWSING ESPECIALLY 4RM GSM PROVIDERS. 10 YEARS ON, D STORY IS STILL D SAME. GOVERNMENT FAILED 2 PLAY THEIR ROLE, NCC IS PURE CRAP, AND U ARE HERE TELLING ME THAT SURFING FREE MEANS SUFFERING AND SHAME

JOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRR OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 2:17pm On May 18, 2011
jay bee:

How do you propose they get round the download limit going by your alternative solution?
i am not a technical minded person. and personally i dont go on the internet to download stuff. i just surf and get info etc etc. but i am sure technical whiz kids can circumvent anything. for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. for anything made there is a way to unmake it. thats what i believe.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Grade1 Uk Hp450g2 5th Gen Core I3 @115k / Screenshots of Our PC Desktops / Order For Your Laptop ( NEW And LONDON USED) Deliver Anywhere In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.