Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,874 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 (13282 Views)

Name Those Premium Softwares You Need But Can't Afford Or Access / Please I Need A Laptop Bv I Can't Afford One. / Pentium M Laptops For Just N16,000 Each ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by coogar: 6:31pm On May 17, 2011
buzugee:

BRUV MINE IS FREE. i get it free. free internet. these poor saps in naija are paying N16000 for something most people get free in england. WOW. naija we hail thee

the infrastructure is in place over here. in my area, there are about 12 different unsecured networks i can log on to any-time of the day. bt's hotspot is growing massively and it will get to a point you won't even need to subscribe to use the internet. internet usage here is the equivalent of owning ceiling fans in nigeria.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by 2muchlogic(m): 6:32pm On May 17, 2011
buzugee:

i use talk2talk. its 6 pounds a month. its broadband.  grin

now you're saying:==

buzugee:

BRUV MINE IS FREE. i get it free. free internet. these poor saps in naija are paying N16000 for something most people get free in england. WOW. naija we hail thee

come on! It NOT FREE! Despite all Nigerias hiccups with their broadband its still probably one of the best if not the best in Sub-saharan Africa if we do not include South Africa.  The problem seems to be the same old "lack of strong institutions", where are the telecommunication regulators?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by isalegan2: 6:40pm On May 17, 2011
buzugee:

How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160

Awun.  You just told on yourself.  If shows you don't send any money home.  N16,000 is closer to $100 than $160.  Go on now, Western Union is open 24hrs.  tongue

this is insane. whats going on in that country are you guys that rich ? in the western world they pay the equivalent of N1000 per month.

hmmm. N1000 = $7. In USA? Typically, Broadband/DSL/Cable internet all run $30-50.  Sometimes you'll get a $20 fee if you do a long term contract or they're desperately doing promotions for new customers. Some dial-up ISPs do promotions of $5/monthly though.

Anyway, what's with alternating pounds-sterling and dollars?  I can never tell whether you are currently in Yankee or across the pond, undercover man.  wink
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 6:44pm On May 17, 2011
coogar:

the infrastructure is in place over here. in my area, there are about 12 different unsecured networks i can log on to any-time of the day. bt's hotspot is growing massively and it will get to a point you won't even need to subscribe to use the internet. internet usage here is the equivalent of owning ceiling fans in nigeria.
exactly. its everywhere. go to the library self, its free. this is 2011. it should never be a luxury but a necessity. heck without it you are incapacitated. but naijas dont care. they want to extract the ultimate profit from something. i also hear shoes in naija sometimes sell for N50,000. this is like 500 dollars or like 300 pounds, can you believe that ?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 6:48pm On May 17, 2011
2muchlogic:

now you're saying:==

come on! It NOT FREE! Despite all Nigerias hiccups with their broadband its still probably one of the best if not the best in Sub-saharan Africa if we do not include South Africa.  The problem seems to be the same old "lack of strong institutions", where are the telecommunication regulators?

its not a contradictory statement. i live in a block of 5 flats. the person in charge of the grounds and the garden and the upkeep of the building also provides the talktalk for everyone of us. he pays 6 pounds for it and gives it to all of us for free. we all have the same password. just log into it with your password. wireless. but ermm yeah it might be the best in sub-saharan africa but the prices are definitely the worst. an oxymoron  grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 6:53pm On May 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

Awun.  You just told on yourself.  If shows you don't send any money home.  N16,000 is closer to $100 than $160.  Go on now, Western Union is open 24hrs.  tongue

hmmm.  N1000 = $7.  In USA?  Typically, Broadband/DSL/Cable internet all run $30-50.  Sometimes you'll get a $20 fee if you do a long term contract or they're desperately doing promotions for new customers.  Some dial-up ISPs do promotions of $5/monthly though.

Anyway, what's with alternating pounds-sterling and dollars?  I can never tell whether you are currently in Yankee or across the pond, undercover man.  wink
send money home kee ? i am poorer than all my people at home. my people at home dont need me to send them money. in fact they can send me enough money to pay my rent here abroad for 5 years sef if they wish.  grin i thank the lord that he has not bestowed on me  the problem of sending money home or else i will be wilting under that kinda pressure. lol i was in yankee for 5 years until april 1st this year (6 weeks ago). now i am back in england
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kilode1: 7:03pm On May 17, 2011
^^ Your people: are they in government or they own phone companies too? cheesy

@Isale, Yes, you did smoke him out, apparently Buzugee is not one of those good folks contributing to the Nigerian economy through Western Union remittances.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by isalegan2: 7:04pm On May 17, 2011
@Buzugee

All right, my broda.  I hope you like it there.  Just don't try to look up Cap28; I doubt he's a people person.  grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by texazzpete(m): 7:05pm On May 17, 2011
buzugee:

i use talk2talk. its 6 pounds a month. its broadband.  grin

In which universe did $7 become 6 pounds?

Also, at an exchange rate of 1 pound = 250 Naira, explain how 6 pounds = N1000.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by enyojo(f): 7:08pm On May 17, 2011
-yawns¬
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 7:09pm On May 17, 2011
Kilode?!:

@Isale, Yes, you did smoke him out, apparently Buzugee is not one of those good folks contributing to the Nigerian economy through Western Union remittances.
lol i dont do western union. at least not in a while anyway. my people are not in govt or phone company oooo lol. they are honest self made business people. huge real estate holdings etc and other businesses (all legit).
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by isalegan2: 7:10pm On May 17, 2011
Kilode?!:

Ah! Kilode?! smiley Where have you been?  Yeah, Buzugee is a man of many talents, who blends in, flies under the radar and swoops in when you least expect him.

Hey, Buzugee, Kilode is the [i]brutha [/i]I was looking for.  lol.
(You'll understand, if you check my post in the last place you+me+Cap talked. cool )
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 7:11pm On May 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

@Buzugee

All right, my broda.  I hope you like it there.  Just don't try to look up Cap28; I doubt he's a people person.  grin
lol i gotta get together with cap28 sometime sha. sounds like an interesting guy. but i suspect he is in london. me i am like 4 hrs away
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 7:13pm On May 17, 2011
texazzpete:

In which universe did $7 become 6 pounds?

Also, at an exchange rate of 1 pound = 250 Naira, explain how 6 pounds = N1000.
all na ballpark figure my brother grin this bruh just dey split hairs
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 7:17pm On May 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

Ah! Kilode?! smiley Where have you been?  Yeah, Buzugee is a man of many talents, who blends in, flies under the radar and swoops in when you least expect him.

Hey, Buzugee, Kilode is the [i]brutha [/i]I was looking for.  lol.
(You'll understand, if you check my post in the last place you+me+Cap talked. cool )
you and all ya nairaland-CIA moves sef.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by ektbear: 7:22pm On May 17, 2011
So is this N16k unlimited broadband or something. . . ? If not, then sounds like an insane price to me.

My neighbor and I share internet access for N7500/month (I pay half.)
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by dayokanu(m): 7:27pm On May 17, 2011
For Unlimited talk text and web in the US, Tmobile (Which is a high end carrier) offers it for $80.

If you go with cricket, metro PCS US Cellular or those lower end ones its usually cheaper.

For cable, Broadband and Home phone you can get for $100

So for $180 you get Broadband, Home phone, Cable, Unlimited talk, text and Web on your phone

$180 is like N25,000 per month
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 7:36pm On May 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

So is this N16k unlimited broadband or something. . . ? If not, then sounds like an insane price to me.

My neighbor and I share internet access for N7500/month (I pay half.)
not sure what service she is getting but this is her right here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-667323.64.html she says she spends N16000 on her wireless internet
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 7:38pm On May 17, 2011
dayokanu:

For Unlimited talk text and web in the US, Tmobile (Which is a high end carrier) offers it for $80.

If you go with cricket, metro PCS US Cellular or those lower end ones its usually cheaper.

For cable, Broadband and Home phone you can get for $100

So for $180 you get Broadband, Home phone, Cable, Unlimited talk, text and Web on your phone

$180 is like N25,000 per month
sounds too much to me. i was getting comcast cable (all channels) and internet for $50 per month.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by isalegan2: 7:40pm On May 17, 2011
dayokanu:

Don't those lower end Cell Phone companies find a way to get you too?  A company like Metro PCS will also sell you a crappy mobile phone at an exorbitant price and charge $40-50 for unlimited call and text.  While you can get a very nice and updated mobile phone from TMobile for nothing if you sign a one or 2-year contract.  I think it all evens out to be the same.  Plus you get better service with a TMobile/ATT/Verizon/Sprint than you would with Metro and the other ones.  Just my experience.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by isalegan2: 7:49pm On May 17, 2011
buzugee:

sounds too much to me. i was getting comcast cable (all channels) and internet for $50 per month.

Buzugee,

I see you do not handle the money or the bills at your home at all! grin Are you sure your apartment/condo/subdivision didn't have free cable tv?  That's the only way your monthly bill could have been that small.  My cable tv is free with the home association, and my internet is supposed to be 26.99 but of course, when Comcast adds up all their fees for rental this, modem that, the bill comes to $40 every month.  And you can't get cable tv for $10 buddy! 

I'm going with ATT DSL as soon as I can.  You get less hassle, less interruption and less equipment - just one little modem/router all built into one pretty looking gadget. lol. And you can get it for half what I curently pay for Comcast.  And I still get to keep my cable tv since it is free for the community.

So long, broda.  All this talk about money is making me feel poor.  sad tongue
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Fhemmmy: 7:51pm On May 17, 2011
Good question . . . . But those that have and use it, they know what they gain from it
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by dayokanu(m): 7:57pm On May 17, 2011
I use ATT High speed, where up to 8 PC can be connected and pay about $42

I use it to stream a lot but its unlimited so a fixed rate.

I use Tmobile cos I travel a lot and those lower end providers tend to have crappy services.

Buzugee, i doubt you can geta bundle package lower than that $100 per month unless you are using some low end providers maybe Charter or whatever
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Odunnu: 8:02pm On May 17, 2011
Do we pay that much? Thats crazy! N16k? Thats not true!
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 8:15pm On May 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

Buzugee,

I see you do not handle the money or the bills at your home at all! grin Are you sure your apartment/condo/subdivision didn't have free cable tv?  That's the only way your monthly bill could have been that small.  My cable tv is free with the home association, and my internet is supposed to be 26.99 but of course, when Comcast adds up all their fees for rental this, modem that, the bill comes to $40 every month.  And you can't get cable tv for $10 buddy! 

I'm going with ATT DSL as soon as I can.  You get less hassle, less interruption and less equipment - just one little modem/router all built into one pretty looking gadget. lol. And you can get it for half what I curently pay for Comcast.  And I still get to keep my cable tv since it is free for the community.

So long, broda.  All this talk about money is making me feel poor.  sad tongue
lol trust me i paid the bills myself. you know the trick with comcast ? you have to always ask for their specials. they always have some specials going. special rates. they give you the special rate for 1 year. once the specials is about to be over and your bill is about to jump to $100 a month, you request for another special deal. works all the time  grin the thing i hated about comcast, the bills are not the same every month. fluctuates by a dollar or 2 or 3 or even more. lol you feel poor ? welcome to the club.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kobojunkie: 8:19pm On May 17, 2011
dayokanu:

I use Tmobile cos I travel a lot and those lower end providers tend to have crappy services.

Someone dey play you wayo there. I am also using ATT Highspeed and it cost $24 bucks a month for all machines in house and on the road(you also get wifi connect) to connect ! grin grin grin  You probably did not sign up for their one year contract deal or something.

Also, if your EGO is not the big deal, you can get a good BoostMobile account now with unlimited talk, text and web for $35 a month. Book has national coverage and also offers international too. grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by paddylo1(m): 8:23pm On May 17, 2011
My Internet bill is N6,500 a month with starcomms. . .and its pretty fast and snappy too. . .
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 8:25pm On May 17, 2011
dayokanu:

Buzugee, i doubt you can geta bundle package lower than that $100 per month unless you are using some low end providers maybe Charter or whatever
special deals bruv. always ask them about it. comcast always has some promotional deals going. try to get on it.
Fhemmmy:

Good question  . . . .  But those that have and use it, they know what they gain from it
gaining the same thing someone who pays 6 pounds a month gain from it  grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Seun(m): 8:28pm On May 17, 2011
Nigerians who can't afford 16k pay much less for night browsing or hourly browsing. Or they use Glo which costs just 7,500.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by hercules07: 8:28pm On May 17, 2011
@paddy

There is nothing fast about starcomms service o, u are probably on 2.5G service.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kobojunkie: 8:29pm On May 17, 2011
But then, I think it is silly to try to compare the cost of internet and amenities in Nigeria to that in UK or US or anyplace else where the average base pay rate is still at least 10-20 times higher than what is obtainable in Nigeria.

hercules07:

@paddy
There is nothing fast about starcomms service o, u are probably on 2.5G service.

I definitely know the 2.5G is not as cheap as Naira 6500  grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by hercules07: 8:32pm On May 17, 2011
I am the internet access space, the prices are crazy o and the services are crappy, but wetin man go do. Internet access will not be fast until our ISPs peer and services are local, as it is now, all the popular sites are hosted outside.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Grade1 Uk Hp450g2 5th Gen Core I3 @115k / Screenshots of Our PC Desktops / Order For Your Laptop ( NEW And LONDON USED) Deliver Anywhere In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.