Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,928 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 (13284 Views)

Name Those Premium Softwares You Need But Can't Afford Or Access / Please I Need A Laptop Bv I Can't Afford One. / Pentium M Laptops For Just N16,000 Each ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Fhemmmy: 8:32pm On May 17, 2011
Seun:

Nigerians who can't afford 16k pay much less for night browsing or hourly browsing.  Or they use Glo which costs just 7,500.

Even paying 7500 Naira a month ( 47$$USD) a month is a lot of money . . . . . . .  And in a nation where the minimum wages is low . . . . But again, i am sure they will not be paying for it, if they are not making money from it or if it is not to their benefit.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Fhemmmy: 8:34pm On May 17, 2011
hercules07:

I am the internet access space, t[b]he prices are crazy o and the services are crappy[/b], but wetin man go do. Internet access will not be fast until our ISPs peer and services are local, as it is now, all the popular sites are hosted outside.

That is the problem, crappy service for that much?
but like yu said, what could they do when there is nothing better?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 8:42pm On May 17, 2011
paddy_lo:

My Internet bill is N6,500 a month with starcomms. . .and its pretty fast and snappy too. . .
Seun:

Nigerians who can't afford 16k pay much less for night browsing or hourly browsing.  Or they use Glo which costs just 7,500.
guys, see when i am amazed at the price of things in naija including internet, i also leverage it against the wages and economic situation of naija. and when you look at it wholesomely like that, there is just no excuse to be charging those kind of rates. i mean if people supposedly live on less than 2 dollars a day on average, then why is an internet company charging $100+ per month in such a country ? where is the morality and decency in that ? this is craziness is what it is. i guess my conclusion to the whole saga is that america and nigeria are 2 extremely capitalistic nations in which the govt colludes with big business to rip off its citizens. while britain is a sweet country in which the govt protects its citizens from sharks . thats the conclusion. and 6500 and 7500 naira is not 'just'. this is about 50 dollars. this is a lot to be paying just to surf at night grin WTF at night ?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Fhemmmy: 8:44pm On May 17, 2011
Like someone said, it will not be possible till we have more local ISP in Nigeria and we have enough environment to make the service better and aiight
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kilode1: 8:45pm On May 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

Ah! Kilode?! smiley Where have you been?  Yeah, Buzugee is a man of many talents, who blends in, flies under the radar and swoops in when you least expect him.

Hey, Buzugee, Kilode is the [i]brutha [/i]I was looking for.  lol.
(You'll understand, if you check my post in the last place you+me+Cap talked. cool )

Hmm, I saw the "last place".

Now that "she" is on the NL homepage, I hope she won't stumble on my "professional" critique of her abilities. You know every little thing depresses them. Fingers crossed sha.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 8:48pm On May 17, 2011
Fhemmmy:

That is the problem, crappy service for that much?
but like yu said, what could they do when there is nothing better?

entrepreneurs need to step up grin market forces and all that other good stuff
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Fhemmmy: 8:50pm On May 17, 2011
^^^ Ummmmm
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by buzugee(m): 8:52pm On May 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

But then, I think it is silly to try to compare the cost of internet and amenities in Nigeria to that in UK or US or anyplace else where the average base pay rate is still at least 10-20 times higher than what is obtainable in Nigeria.

I definitely know the 2.5G is not as cheap as Naira 6500  grin
right ? like it should be wayyyyyyyyyyy cheaper right ?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by coogar: 8:53pm On May 17, 2011
buzugee:

guys, see when i am amazed at the price of things in naija including internet, i also leverage it against the wages and economic situation of naija. and when you look at it wholesomely like that, there is just no excuse to be charging those kind of rates. i mean if people supposedly live on less than 2 dollars a day on average, then why is an internet company charging $100+ per month in such a country ? where is the morality and decency in that ? this is craziness is what it is. i guess my conclusion to the whole saga is that america and nigeria are 2 extremely capitalistic nations in which the govt colludes with big business to rip off its citizens. while britain is a sweet country in which the govt protects its citizens from sharks . thats the conclusion. and 6500 and 7500 naira is not 'just'. this is about 50 dollars. this is a lot to be paying just to surf at night  grin WTF at night ?

u keep beating about the bush. i don't blame the companies charging the high prices, i blame our government for not having a regulatory body in place to keep these providers in check. these providers come into the country to invest and the government tax them to the hilt - forgetting it's the consumers that will bear the brunt. the government don't care about the citizens as far as their own stomachs are filled to the brim. the government don't provide an enabling environment for the internet business to thrive. no power supply, no security, etc.

the point about living on $2 a day is also weak. that is what average nigerians live on, not the elite. an average nigerian does not care about the internet(except the borrow-posers) who live well beyond their means in the name of "forming". not everyone lives on $2 per day in nigeria. some actually spend $5000 a day in that same lagos. there's a reason the prices are high in nigeria - it is simply because the demand is high. why can't the government provide their own internet service to create a price war with the private companies? undecided
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by MaiSuya(m): 9:00pm On May 17, 2011
for most businesses these days , internet access is as important as a telephone access, so they are forced to manage the poor services notwithstanding high cost
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by dustydee: 9:02pm On May 17, 2011
Glo is quite fast in Abuja and for 6500 i get 6GB. who knows about swift broadband in Lagos?how much does it cost?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by playmode(m): 9:19pm On May 17, 2011
I pay R600 (N12000) per month for my broadband service and R389(N7000) for line access which amounts to a total of R989 (N19,000). My internet service to is referred to as 4MB uncapped broadband which means i have 24hrs hours access to the internet and unlimited downloads.On average i download at a rate of  3.45Mb per second.Every month i download over 300GBs of games ,movies and software to the extent that i i usually run out of external hard drives to store my files  grin.I also watch a lot of videos online especially on youtube and aljazeera.

I am loving it. grin

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by hercules07: 9:27pm On May 17, 2011
Swift is not bad, but all these services are not true broadband, the way it works with some of these ISPs is their speed fluctuates, their browsing speed decreases with the growth of client base. The reasons for not having broadband access are many, one is lack of cable infrastructure (DSL), wireless is still a shared medium that has not caught up with cable, another one is we mostly access everything outside the shores of the country, yahoo outside, gmail outside, msn outside, even nairaland sef. The ISPs have also not peered, if you are on MTN and I am on swift, our packets are routed outside the shores of the country before they come back, we need to keep local traffic local.
I use Swift at home and it is good as per naija level, when I went to Canada, I had 10mbps at home, ol boy, some ISPs dont have that much.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by ektbear: 9:31pm On May 17, 2011
Hercules07: How are these major companies connecting to the net? Wireless, or something else?

What of universities?
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by denzel2009: 9:34pm On May 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

So is this N16k unlimited broadband or something. . . ? If not, then sounds like an insane price to me.

My neighbor and I share internet access for N7500/month (I pay half.)
They deceive people in Nigeria that they are giving them broadband, when the service they are offering is just a dial up.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by darkman200: 9:35pm On May 17, 2011
2muchlogic (m)

Thats pretty sad, I pay N6500 per month for an UNLIMITED data plan, its 3G, and I run it 24/7, 365. It has been down for a mere 3 hours in 8 years - very reliable.

[quote][/quote]

Dude! there was no 3G   8 years ago, stop bragging!
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kobojunkie: 9:37pm On May 17, 2011
denzel2009:

They deceive people in Nigeria that they are giving them broadband, when the service they are offering is just a dial up.

My Mum complains of that each time she is down there and needs to access information. She says she gets so impatient waiting, that she instead resorts to calling us here to do whatever she needs done online for her. ROFLMAO!! I think it also depends on what part of the country you are in.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by blacksta(m): 9:41pm On May 17, 2011
Below is my broadband speed  and i pay £5 / N1250 every month -   sooner or later this thing would be free

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by denzel2009: 9:43pm On May 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

My Mum complains of that each time she is down there and needs to access information. She says she gets so impatient waiting, that she instead resorts to calling us here to do whatever she needs done online for her. ROFLMAO!! I think it also depends on what part of the country you are in.

I have tried so many times to help my younger ones resolve their pc problems remotely but the connection is so bad I won't even be able to move the cursor while I remotely connect to friends in Ghana easily.

Everything in Nigeria is a ripoff.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Kobojunkie: 9:48pm On May 17, 2011
denzel2009:

I have tried so many times to help my younger ones[b] resolve their pc problems remotely but the connection is so bad I won't even be able to move the cursor[/b] while I remotely connect to friends in Ghana easily.

I know that hell too well oo . . .

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by denzel2009: 9:52pm On May 17, 2011
Do not hate. . . .

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Gekko(m): 9:52pm On May 17, 2011
grin grin
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Gekko(m): 9:53pm On May 17, 2011
denzel2009:

Do not hate. . . .

WHOA!!!! grin grin I Hail!
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by blacksta(m): 9:56pm On May 17, 2011
denzel2009:

Do not hate. . . .

Na fake  - who is your provider -  Even Virgin media no reach that kind yet

who the fkkkk is " SO NET SERVICES " photoshoped
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by denzel2009: 10:00pm On May 17, 2011
blacksta:

Na fake  - who is your provider -  Even Virgin media no reach that kind yet

who the fkkkk is " SO NET SERVICES " photoshoped

That's why I said do not hate cheesy cheesy
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by playmode(m): 10:01pm On May 17, 2011
denzel2009:

Do not hate. . . .

Chai na enjoyment you dey  grin

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by playmode(m): 10:04pm On May 17, 2011
denzel2009:

That's why I said do not hate  cheesy cheesy

I don't think it is fake, remember this is japan we are talking about.

So what will you say when you see the one below,this is my uncle's download speed in texas :

Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by denzel2009: 10:06pm On May 17, 2011
playmode:

So what will you say when you this one :
Actually, that's not mine. It's for a guy in Japan, he pays $50/month for that insane speed.
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by Dsense(m): 10:09pm On May 17, 2011
OP.

I wonder ooo undecided
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by blacksta(m): 10:11pm On May 17, 2011
playmode:

So what will you say when you see the one below,this is my uncle's download speed in texas :

Omo  see speed.   Browsing , Downloading must be bang bang  -
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by playmode(m): 10:14pm On May 17, 2011
blacksta:

Omo  see speed.   Browsing , Downloading must be bang bang  -  

Na so o ,na that kind internet dem dey cal "ibinu"  grin .I heard South Korea has the highest speeds in the world though some even claimed that some South Korean ISPs offer above 560MB per second  shocked
Re: How Do Nigerians Afford The N16,000 Per Month Internet Bill. This Is Like $160 by manny4life(m): 10:19pm On May 17, 2011
^^^^ thats no way possible

That's really expensive

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Grade1 Uk Hp450g2 5th Gen Core I3 @115k / Screenshots of Our PC Desktops / Order For Your Laptop ( NEW And LONDON USED) Deliver Anywhere In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.