Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,081 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past - Culture (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past (24061 Views)

Music, Dance: What Gave Fulani Youths Joy In The Past (Video, Pictures) / Restrictions Of Movement Around the Oba of Benin Palace? / 'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Jameseddi1: 8:41pm On Mar 04, 2022
Search the first place or kingdom European visited in Nigeria in all platforms first page will say Benin.

Normally lagos was closer to the Atlantic Ocean but they need to visit Benin, see Benin king first to be officially recognized by the king of Portugal that truly they visited Nigeria then as the Benin kingdom was the recognized kindom in south Nigeria in any where both geographically.

Is this what you still arguing what was even documented by European then.

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO11(f): 9:27am On Mar 05, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]Contact with the Portuguese
Ewuare was the Oba of the Benin empire when the Portuguese explorer Ruy de Sequeira arrived in 1472. It is unclear whether he went into the city, but contacts between the Portuguese and the Oba were initiated.

Ewuare is also the first king that come incontact with European.

The Lagos you said they visited was geographically named Benin Lagos was just one of the few cities of Benin then.

Portuguese arrived a geographical Benin slave cost and was directed to the ruler of that geographical kingdom same year Oba Ewuare.

Itshekiri was still geographically Benin that time you can verify by checking the map European came and they also direct them to their king who lives in the city (Benin city) same time.

All this place you mentioned were Benin territory that time it was geographically proven by the European.

2 Benin kings are the lords European seen and make agreements with to start trading in all this geographical places. Lagos don’t even have king this period.

Now you went to bring a Yoruba write up to prove benin was calling oni Oghene.

In south Nigeria
We both agreed that European/ the world verified that Benin was officially geographically kingdom then.

We both also agreed now that Benin verified that Yoruba/Ife was also a kingdom in the north west.

Now you see the level: Benin civilized Yoruba European civized Benin no wonder they were lot of explore of the Benin in all Yoruba west before the exploration of the European to Nigeria.[/s]
(1) Sequeira (the first European visitor in the Nigerian region) visited Lagos in the 1470s, and never Benin.

(2) Lagos in the 1400s have no Benin connection.

The first Benin connection to Lagos didn’t begin until the mid/late-1500s when Benin immigrants came to trade & settle on the Eko island.

(3) Benin tradition says Itsekiri land was visited by the Europeans, long before the Binis came with rich gifts to the Itsekiris begging that they too be visited by the Europeans.

(3) IF Itsekiri was indeed “geographically Benin” as you wish it was, the Benin king would not be begging the Itsekiri king with rich gifts.

(4) In the 1400s & 1500s, the Europeans inquired from the coastal/near-coastal people on who the greatest king of the region is.

And everyone (including the Binis) pointed only to the Ọɣọ̀ni (i.e. the Ọọ̀ni) whose seat is in the interior, and whose domain spans the Nigeria region and beyond.

(5) The 2nd attachment in my foregoing comment is a page from a Dictionary of Bini Language compiled by Yorubas Binis and Hans Melzian.

(6) In sum, your fathers & mothers of old believed that the Ọɣọ̀ni of Ifẹ is God incarnate. Thus, his home (Ifẹ) is regarded as a sort of “Heaven”.

Thus, the first rulers (olóyè/enioyè, ogie/enogie) sent from Ifẹ to govern Benin are mythologized by Binis as rulers from Heaven, viz. “ogiso” — from: ogie + iso.

Jameseddi1:
[s]Search the first place or kingdom European visited in Nigeria in all platforms first page will say Benin.

Normally lagos was closer to the Atlantic Ocean but they need to visit Benin, see Benin king first to be officially recognized by the king of Portugal that truly they visited Nigeria then as the Benin kingdom was the recognized kindom in south Nigeria in any where both geographically.

Is this what you still arguing what was even documented by European then.[/s]

(7) Your search query produced a popular result (based on users interaction) which is the word “Benin”. The article itself never says Benin is the first place visited by Europeans. It never says so anywhere.

Instead, Benin traditions states clearly: the Europeans have been trading for long with Itsekiris prior to when the Benin king sent gifts to Itsekiri and begged that the Europeans visit Benin too.

Cheers.

PS: Why did you stop using @gregyboy account lately?

Is it that you’ve now seen the truth and you’re trying to dissociate yourself from the crap on that account?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Jameseddi1: 9:22pm On Mar 05, 2022
TAO11:

(1) Sequeira (the first European visitor in the Nigerian region) visited Lagos in the 1470s, and never Benin.

(2) Lagos in the 1400s have no Benin connection.

The first Benin connection to Lagos didn’t begin until the mid/late-1500s when Benin immigrants came to trade & settle on the Eko island.

(3) Benin tradition says Itsekiri land was visited by the Europeans, long before the Binis came with rich gifts to the Itsekiris begging that they too be visited by the Europeans.

(3) IF Itsekiri was indeed “geographically Benin” as you wish it was, the Benin king would not be begging the Itsekiri king with rich gifts.

(4) In the 1400s & 1500s, the Europeans inquired from the coastal/near-coastal people on who the greatest king of the region is.

And everyone (including the Binis) pointed only to the Ọɣọ̀ni (i.e. the Ọọ̀ni) whose seat is in the interior, and whose domain spans the Nigeria region and beyond.

(5) The 2nd attachment in my foregoing comment is a page from a Dictionary of Bini Language compiled by Yorubas Binis and Hans Melzian.

(6) In sum, your fathers & mothers of old believed that the Ọɣọ̀ni of Ifẹ is God incarnate. Thus, his home (Ifẹ) is regarded as a sort of “Heaven”.

Thus, the first rulers (olóyè/enioyè, ogie/enogie) sent from Ifẹ to govern Benin are mythologized by Binis as rulers from Heaven, viz. “ogiso” — from: ogie + iso.

(7) Your search query produced a popular result (based on users interaction) which is the word “Benin”. The article itself never says Benin is the first place visited by Europeans. It never says so anywhere.

Instead, Benin traditions states clearly: the Europeans have been trading for long with Itsekiris prior to when the Benin king sent gifts to Itsekiri and begged that the Europeans visit Benin too.

Cheers.

PS: Why did you stop using @gregyboy account lately?

Is it that you’ve now seen the truth and you’re trying to dissociate yourself from the crap on that account?

European eyewitness geographical location southern Nigeria.

I know you will bring your Oghene map but that not world European eyewitness. it is Benin eyewitness.

That the levels

I’m different from Greg boy ok my mom is urhobo my father is benin my father mom is from Ondo so you see that I’m a fully Benin kingdom boy

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO11(f): 11:49pm On Mar 05, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]European eyewitness geographical location southern Nigeria.[/s]
Dummy, there was no Nigeria or southern Nigeria at the time of the map you attached.

The coastal/near coastal places annotated on the map are those with whom the Europeans are acquainted by virtue of significant trading activities. That’s all.

[s]I know you will bring your Oghene map but that not world European eyewitness. it is Benin eyewitness.[/s]
On the other hand, my much older map which shows the Latin annotation “Regnʋm Orgʋene” (The Ọɣọ̀nẹ’s Domain) shows no mention of Benin, Biafra, or any of the other Yorùbá kingdoms.

This map has nothing to do with trade relationship as the seat of the Ọɣọ̀ni (Ọọ̀ni) is not around the coast.

This map (by Martin Waldseemüller, 1513) intends to highlight the relevant regional powers at the time.

And Ifẹ turns out to be the regional power at the time. Benin, et al. apparently agrees to this information as this map abundantly shows.

That the levels
That’s the actual point I’m making — that is, the level of how all the coastal/near coastal kingdoms (+ your Benin) submit & surrender to the overlordship of the Ọọ̀ni of Ifẹ.

[s]I’m different from Greg boy ok my mom is urhobo my father is benin my father mom is from Ondo so you see that I’m a fully Benin kingdom boy[/s]
It is very satisfying how I made you distance yourself from your @gregyboy account. cheesy

That’s exactly how it should be. Bini mugus must deny their accounts and their origin whenever I show up. cheesy

You actually wish to have an Oǹdó blood in you. You knew that Oǹdó palace traditions recognize Ifẹ as the origin of the Oǹdó kingdom.

You’re therefore desperate to associate with Ifẹ. Keep dreaming. But you remain a Bini slave of the present Ọmọ-n-Ọba and his predecessors who are all our sons from Ifẹ̀ (ibi tí ojúmọ́ ti ń mọ́ wá).

Cheers.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Jameseddi1: 9:05pm On Mar 06, 2022
TAO11:

Dummy, there was no Nigeria or southern Nigeria at the time of the map you attached.

The coastal/near coastal places annotated on the map are those with whom the Europeans are acquainted by virtue of significant trading activities. That’s all.

On the other hand, my much older map which shows the Latin annotation “Regnʋm Orgʋene” (The Ọɣọ̀nẹ’s Domain) shows no mention of Benin, Biafra, or any of the other Yorùbá kingdoms.

This map has nothing to do with trade relationship as the seat of the Ọɣọ̀ni (Ọọ̀ni) is not around the coast.

This map (by Martin Waldseemüller, 1513) intends to highlight the relevant regional powers at the time.

And Ifẹ turns out to be the regional power at the time. Benin, et al. apparently agrees to this information as this map abundantly shows.

That’s the actual point I’m making — that is, the level of how all the coastal/near coastal kingdoms (+ your Benin) submit & surrender to the overlordship of the Ọọ̀ni of Ifẹ.

It is very satisfying how I made you distance yourself from your @gregyboy account. cheesy

That’s exactly how it should be. Bini mugus must deny their accounts and their origin whenever I show up. cheesy

You actually wish to have an Oǹdo blood in you. You knew that Oǹdo palace traditions recognize Ifẹ as the origin of the Oǹdo kingdom.

You’re therefore desperate to associate with Ifẹ. Keep dreaming. But you remain a Bini slave of the present Ọmọ-n-Ọba and his predecessors who are all our sons from Ifẹ̀ (ibi tí ojúmọ́ ti ń mọ́ wá).

Cheers.

But last time I checked in 15th century Martin Waldseemüller didn’t visit Yoruba or Ife in west Africa the kingdom he visited was Benin keep deceiving your fellow Yorubas.

No European visited Ife in 15th century so where did you get your map from come correct yourself.
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO11(f): 9:11pm On Mar 06, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]But last time I checked in 15th century Martin Waldseemüller didn’t visit Yoruba or Ife in west Africa the kingdom he visited was Benin keep deceiving your fellow Yorubas.

No European visited Ife in 15th century so where did you get your map from come correct yourself.[/s]
Well, the Europeans were in Yorubaland first.

In all, the Benin ọba informed the Europeans saying: “I have a master”.

This map was thus made to show the Ọɣọ̀ni (Ọọ̀ni) as the greatest monarch that he is in the region.

Cheers.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Jameseddi1: 9:13pm On Mar 06, 2022
Yes truly there was no Nigeria then. But they were dayomey, Benin, bight of Benin, Biafra, Great Benin, Zara, Niger. You are just pained there was no world verified Yoruba in west Africa geographically area at that time.

So the only one you came to twist in as prove was verified by Benin according to you.
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO11(f): 9:28pm On Mar 06, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]Yes truly there was no Nigeria then. But they were dayomey, Benin, bight of Benin, Biafra, Great Benin, Zara, Niger. You are just pained there was no world verified Yoruba in west Africa geographically area at that time.

So the only one you came to twist in as prove was verified by Benin according to you.[/s]
Finally you know there was no Nigeria at the time.

Yes, the name “Benin” (a mispronunciation) appears on some maps and not on others.

Just as the names Yoruba, Lukumi (my ethnic group as a whole) exist on some maps and not on others.

It all depends on the uses to which the cartographer intends the specific map to be put.

The specific map in question here is an old map which relates to names of the powerful monarchies and not merely people or ethnic group per se.

And as the map abundantly shows, your Ọmọ-n-ọba is no where to be found, while his father the Ọɣọ̀ni is recognized as the regional power.

Bini, know your relatively little place.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by oswardic(m): 4:54am On Mar 16, 2022
I won't respond to your nonsense abusive junkie evidence that dated not as far as the ones the civilised Igodomigodo wrote as way back, you can now go ahead and make yourself look like one with sense even when everyone knows you're a diehard hater of the Benin heritage, but hold on, before you go about with your defeated arguments of "this one said he won't come back again"

Your plan is to drop the last punch and expects me not to write so whenever new reader sees it, then it would make you look like a winner, or one with a much proof of what people should believe, infact I lost interest in your argument the very day you said the history my people wrote is void and null because a brown skin people wrote it

This is here already, you can now go ahead and make your last abusive junkie proofs of written notes/history by your light yellow gods you call whites, whom you believe their writings than anything your fellow brownish skin can ever write, no wonder the Yoruba had no single written history, oh! I forgot, they were primitive people with no sense of education.

Don't bother to hear from me on this case again, take the floor you hateful retard!

Bye!

[s][/s][quote author=TAO11 post=110401810]
Oh shut your gutter ret@rd, and get some education.

The reference/screenshot provided already lists all the Edo groups who confessed to have been invaded and decimated by the Yorubas.

All you have to do is be bold enough to follow-up the reference and screenshots without having to shed too much tears.

And it is sensible to believe what people admit about their own humiliations, failures, embarrassments, etc. especially when such confessions has a multiplicity of attestation from those same people.

But not sensible to accept claims of conquering other people without any corroborating evidence from those other people.

But for some reasons, you Binis’ brains seem to have been turned upside-down, hence your insistence on reasoning upside-down.

Cc: SirNewtonNG[s][/s]
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO11(f): 11:21pm On Mar 16, 2022
You have flooded this comment again with your deep agony and hot tears. LMAO.

I didn’t ask you for that. I didn’t ask any Bini e-rat on Nairaland for tears, so why cry so bitterly?

I won’t address your tears, because no one asked you to cry — literally no one asked for your tears.

However, I will only be debunking your lies below just so you can further drown in agony and dashed hope.

oswardic:
[s]I won't respond to your nonsense abusive junkie evidence that dated not as far as the ones the civilised Igodomigodo wrote as way back, you can now go ahead and make yourself look like one with sense even when everyone knows you're a diehard hater of the Benin heritage, but hold on, before you go about with your defeated arguments of "this one said he won't come back again"

Your plan is to drop the last punch and expects me not to write so whenever new reader sees it, then it would make you look like a winner, or one with a much proof of what people should believe,[/s]
I’m not interested in your pool of tears. cheesy

infact I lost interest in your argument the very day you said the history my people wrote is void and null because a brown skin people wrote it
I’m laughing hard at your cheap, silly lie.

You really think sensible people would believe I said so, just because you said I said so??

No child. Instead they would want you to attach a link or screenshot showing where I said so. You gerrit? grin

Having said that, the recently invented/revised Benin history is false because it has already been debunked even before its invention.

It was invented in the 1970s by a handful of Bini folks, but it had been debunked in advance (since the early-1900s, 1800s, 1700s, etc.) by Bini traditions obtained from the Benin court; and collected and documented into written form by Bini pens, and sometimes by European pens.

The latter-day 1970s frauds actually never named the Bini informant from which they supposedly got their new stories. They never cite any source despite their stories being strange, new and contrary to what the ancient people of Benin have always maintained.

[s]This is here already, you can now go ahead and make your last abusive junkie proofs of written notes/history by your light yellow gods you call whites, whom you believe their writings than anything your fellow brownish skin can ever write,[/s]
No pool of tears will be tolerated. grin

no wonder the Yoruba had no single written history, oh! I forgot, they were primitive people with no sense of education
Yoruba people had no written history?? Lol.

No, the Yorubas have been writing down their history with their own pen since the 1800s.

Guess when the Bini started writing down their history with their own pen!? Take a wild guess. Your daddies & mommies started in the 1930s.

Notice the gap and know your little place. Tẹnks. cheesy

Yoruba people primitive? This is funny for 2 reasons:

(1) It’s funny because it’s false (2) It’s at the same time funny because it’s coming from a Bini person.

So, the Bini people (up until the 1890s) must actually request permission from their king before they can be allowed to wear clothes.

And to top it all, your kings are a patrilineally Yorùbás from Ifẹ. Again, Benin know your little place. Yoruba is too much for you. It should go without saying.

[s]Don't bother to hear from me on this case again, take the floor you hateful retard!

Bye![/s]
I won’t bat an eye to your tears, I promise. grin

Have a good life kid.

9 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Jameseddi1: 10:07am On Mar 17, 2022
TAO11:
You have flooded this comment again with your deep agony and hot tears. LMAO.

I didn’t ask you for that. I didn’t ask any Bini e-rat on Nairaland for tears, so why cry so bitterly?

I won’t address your tears, because no one asked you to cry — literally no one asked for your tears.

However, I will only be debunking your lies below just so you can further drown in agony and dashed hope.

I’m not interested in your pool of tears. cheesy

I’m laughing hard at your cheap, silly lie.

You really think sensible people would believe I said so, just because you said I said so??

No child. Instead they would want you to attach a link or screenshot showing where I said so. You gerrit? grin

Having said that, the recently invented/revised Benin history is false because it has already been debunked even before its invention.

It was invented in the 1970s by a handful of Bini folks, but it had been debunked in advance (since the early-1900s, 1800s, 1700s, etc.) by Bini traditions obtained from the Benin court; and collected and documented into written form by Bini pens, and sometimes by European pens.

The latter-day 1970s frauds actually never named the Bini informant from which they supposedly got their new stories. They never cite any source despite their stories being strange, new and contrary to what the ancient people of Benin have always maintained.

No pool of tears will be tolerated. grin

Yoruba people had no written history?? Lol.

No, the Yorubas have been writing down their history with their own pen since the 1800s.

Guess when the Bini started writing down their history with their own pen!? Take a wild guess. Your daddies/mommies started in the 1930s.

Notice the gap and know your little place. Tẹnks. cheesy

Yoruba people primitive? This is funny for 2 reasons:

(1) It’s funny because it’s false (2) It’s at the same time funny because it’s coming from a Bini person.

So, the Bini people (up until the 1890s) must actually request permission from their king before they can be allowed to wear cloth.

And to top it all, your kings are a patrilineally Yorùbás from Ifẹ. Again, Benin know your little place. Yoruba is too much for you. It should go without saying.

I won’t bat an eye to your tears, I promise. grin

Have a good life kid.

Yoruba that too big for Benin wasn’t geographically noticed until 17th18th century
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO11(f): 2:07pm On Mar 17, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]Yoruba that too big for Benin wasn’t geographically noticed until 17th18th century[/s]
The attached map is from the 1500s.

It shows the “Ọɣọnẹ’s [Ọọni’s] Domain” — the leading monarchy of the Yorubas. Benin was no where to be found on the 1500s map.

Lagos was visited in the 1470s. Benin was unnoticed in that decade of Lagos’ visit. Ijebu-Ode was visited in the 1490s. And so on.

7 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by BabaRamota1980: 9:49pm On Mar 17, 2022
TAO11:
Finally you know there was no Nigeria at the time.

Yes, the name “Benin” (a mispronunciation) appears on some maps and not on others.

Just as the names Yoruba, Lukumi (my ethnic group as a whole) exist on some maps and not on others.

It all depends on the uses to which the cartographer intends the specific map to be put.

The specific map in question here is an old map which relates to names of the powerful monarchies and not merely people or ethnic group per se.

And as the map abundantly shows, your Ọmọ-n-ọba is no where to be found, while his father the Ọɣọ̀ni is recognized as the regional power.

Bini, know your relatively little place.

This one na hin dem call "killing me softly".

TAO has demoralized these Edo nuisances to the point they change identities frequently inbetween posts, and in the confusion of their helter skelter often counter argue and destroy a position they once stood on. What a calamity!

Yoruba is their father in ancient culture, their father in ancient history, their father in ancient art, their father in ancient civilization. In 2022 we remain their father in modern society. In the name of Oduduwa, Edo shall remain under our foot into eternity.

5 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO11(f): 7:21pm On Jun 15, 2022
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by SirNewtonNG: 10:46am On Jul 12, 2022
oswardic:
I won't respond to your nonsense abusive junkie evidence that dated not as far as the ones the civilised Igodomigodo wrote as way back, you can now go ahead and make yourself look like one with sense even when everyone knows you're a diehard hater of the Benin heritage, but hold on, before you go about with your defeated arguments of "this one said he won't come back again"

Your plan is to drop the last punch and expects me not to write so whenever new reader sees it, then it would make you look like a winner, or one with a much proof of what people should believe, infact I lost interest in your argument the very day you said the history my people wrote is void and null because a brown skin people wrote it

This is here already, you can now go ahead and make your last abusive junkie proofs of written notes/history by your light yellow gods you call whites, whom you believe their writings than anything your fellow brownish skin can ever write, no wonder the Yoruba had no single written history, oh! I forgot, they were primitive people with no sense of education.

Don't bother to hear from me on this case again, take the floor you hateful retard!

Bye!

[s][/s]

Yorubas don't have written history but grin what a joke. Is that supposed to be a rebuttal born from pain and fiction. The written history you have you claim its biased and you're crying about it when it's referenced and shown to you that your obas had their ancestors from ife and paid homage to him cheesy but yet you're boasting here because you think they didn't write about us. Choose a struggle man, moreover they did write about us and the importance of their writings is that they were eye witnesses and collected traditions from the people of those times.

Ohh and Jacob egharevba is a black man last I checked. Your red herrings and ad hominem won't change the fact that the only history you like are revisions from thin air from the 1970s no wonder you're not even consistent with your rebuttals and ad hominems. Cry harder wink grin

Cc: Tao11

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply)

Similarity Between Bini And Igbo / Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief / Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.