Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,724 members, 7,813,395 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:45 AM

FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History (44782 Views)

English Clubs Make European Football History With All Four Finalists / Dani Alves Becomes The Most Decorated Player In Football History / Paul Onuachu Scores Second Fastest Goal In International Football History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by ibtommy(m): 1:47pm On Aug 15, 2021
Sharap there!!!

Eriokanmi:
those awarded so far, apart from the fact that they merited it, they also gave back to the society they come from...what has okocha given? Ordinary Jersey for surulete stadium in those days,e no gree share... when the likes of kanu would load vans with kits and share for free to fans. O stingy pa. If dem give am national award, I go protest
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by justmondris: 1:50pm On Aug 15, 2021
It’s thesame fifa that did not even give him third world football of the year award.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by justmondris: 1:50pm On Aug 15, 2021
It’s thesame fifa that did not even give him third world football of the year award.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by SouthSouth1914: 1:52pm On Aug 15, 2021
GeneralPula:

Nah pikin wey raise hand them dey carry..

Funny enough, Okocha has no FIFA awards! Meaning he wasn’t recognized by FIFA.. get it?
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by mu2sa2: 1:52pm On Aug 15, 2021
BESTScientist1:
All these noise makers about Lioness Mercy, Christmas Ronald, Ronaldeyino, etc... I've watched Alla Dem play. None dazzles like my J.J. OKOCHA. I so mastered very few of his skills, that till today I sometimes have teenage footballers ask me how I could do that.
But for "high level racism", they never gave him Balloon, talk less of Balon D'or. Someone whom Ronaldinho attributed his skills to perfectly mastering J.J. Skills when he won the world best award. I repeat, I will only respect all these "proud show offs" called world best footballers if they go to little clubs and drag them out of obscurity to limelight. E.g Lioness Mercy.

"He's so good. They named him twice" but wasn't declared. As good as Mercy (or Grace) is, he dare not try to dribble the whole pitch, see an open net and return to dribble everyone again before scoring. His legs will be up in flames at the closest orthopedic hospital. Respect Sir J.J. A fan forever.
I swear you've said it all - all truth and nothing but the truth.
I have not seen any player display such dexterity as okocha since perhaps Pele. Not a single player, I swear.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by bobo65(m): 1:56pm On Aug 15, 2021
robosky02:
Electric award

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a24QwIYdxg4

As them no put that Oliver khan disgrace, this compilation is disqualified

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by techWriter1: 2:02pm On Aug 15, 2021
Guess FIFA is resulting him an Electrifying commendation
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by charlesm91(m): 2:03pm On Aug 15, 2021
aylive02:
you took time to write this rubbish. Shame!
Show me where Ronaldinho said he attributed his skills to JJ.
you dey mind that talk. Dinho , a Brazilian from street go learn dribble from Okocha. Dinho wey dey display from childhood according a documentary i watched on him. All respect to Okocha , but he didn’t achieve and this will always a dark spot on his career.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by Contango(m): 2:03pm On Aug 15, 2021
CSTRR:

Goal scoring machines.

But that poetry in motion is what Ronaldo lacks.
That slickiness of football that would nearly make you cry.

Messi has it, the footballers of old like okocha had it.

Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't.

Okocha is very skilful but most of what he does are mainly aimed at showing off rather than scoring or creating chances…similar to Ronaldihino. Meanwhile what ever Messi and Ronaldo do is aimed at creating chances or scoring and that is why Okocha even though skillful was not poached upon by top clubs like Barcelona, Man U, Chelsea and the likes.

Okocha eclipses CR7 in terms of skills, no doubt, but there is a reason why CR7 has 5 ballon do’s and Okocha hasn’t won even African player award. E get why.

3 Likes

Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by cunny88(m): 2:03pm On Aug 15, 2021
azpekuliar:

Oga go siddon somewere!

Person wey no get any end product, how e wan take win Africa best talkess of World best. High level racism my foot. High level racism that did not exist when George Weah was crowned World best.

Those players you mentioned are several light years ahead of Jay-Jay Okocha. The best he can ever hope for is an honorable mention for a slightly above average playing career which FIFA has done.
QED.
u ar making alot of sense, I tot I was d only one disgusted by his post. Ballon d'or my foot
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by BassReeves: 2:07pm On Aug 15, 2021
femixville:
They recognised him although, but with no award given.. Hypocrites

BESTScientist1:
All these noise makers about Lioness Mercy, Christmas Ronald, Ronaldeyino, etc... I've watched Alla Dem play. None dazzles like my J.J. OKOCHA. I so mastered very few of his skills, that till today I sometimes have teenage footballers ask me how I could do that.
But for "high level racism", they never gave him Balloon, talk less of Balon D'or. Someone whom Ronaldinho attributed his skills to perfectly mastering J.J. Skills when he won the world best award. I repeat, I will only respect all these "proud show offs" called world best footballers if they go to little clubs and drag them out of obscurity to limelight. E.g Lioness Mercy.

"He's so good. They named him twice" but wasn't declared. As good as Mercy (or Grace) is, he dare not try to dribble the whole pitch, see an open net and return to dribble everyone again before scoring. His legs will be up in flames at the closest orthopedic hospital. Respect Sir J.J. A fan forever.

aylive02:
you took time to write this rubbish. Shame!
Show me where Ronaldinho said he attributed his skills to JJ.
Okocha has now confirmed the story, saying Ronaldinho learned from him during their time together at PSG.

Okocha and Ronaldinho played together for the French champions in the 2001/2002 season. The Brazilian legend arrived at the Paris based club from Gremio as an exciting youngster, while Okocha was already an established star at the club.

Although they only played for one season before Okocha moved to Bolton in 2002, the Barcelona legend was still able to learn some skills from the ex-Nigerian international.

Ronaldinho tried to imitate some of my skills and dribbles, he was still a young player before I left for England, and he joined Barcelona,” Okocha told ‘On-time sports, per AS.

The Brazilian legend learnt well as he went on to dominate the sport for two years after leaving PSG for Barcelona.

Ronaldinho in his own right, is a goat, just as Jay-Jay in his own is a goat too.

Jay-Jay's star didnt shine to the degree Ronaldinho has, same way Ronaldinho's star was eclipsed by Messi', and waned when Messi joined his club and started shinning. Ronaldinho took young Messi under his wing, just as Jay-Jay did to Ronaldinho back in their PSG days

You saw Ronaldinho on the bench marvelling and gushing at Jay-Jay's masterful footballing skill display and jumping up at how Jay-Jay scored the goal. Also in that other match of both playing together see how Jay-Jay slipped Ronaldinho that pass, of which after Ronaldinho scored, Ronaldinho ran towards Jay-Jay pointing enthusiastically at him and then bowing down to Jay-Jay respectfully over and over again, in that 'I am not worthy' gesture fashion

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by sirchim(m): 2:08pm On Aug 15, 2021
CyberEBOLA:
THAT LOCAL CHAMPION? Mtcheeeeww
can you trap a football?

1 Like

Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by calcal: 2:09pm On Aug 15, 2021
Okocha was a good entertainer, he was really good.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by CSTRR: 2:10pm On Aug 15, 2021
Contango:

Okocha is very skilful but most of what he does are mainly aimed at showing off rather than scoring or creating chances…similar to Ronaldihino. Meanwhile what ever Messi and Ronaldo do is aimed at creating chances or scoring and that is why Okocha even though skillful was not poached upon by top clubs like Barcelona, Man U, Chelsea and the likes.

Okocha eclipses CR7 in terms of skills, no doubt, but there is a reason why CR7 has 5 ballon do’s and Okocha hasn’t won even African player award. E get why.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 15, 2021
False!

JayJay was a good and outstanding player, No doubt!

But talking about electrifying in football history, you cannot take it away from Ronaldinho

Dude made football look like acting.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by charlesm91(m): 2:11pm On Aug 15, 2021
Contango:

quite the contrary, Ronaldinho didn’t just dribble cos he wanted to. It was always for a propose that led to an end result. The reason people hate Neymar is s he does it to show off rather than be purposeful. Dinho would make sure the match is won and still give you something to take home with.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by Zenithpeak(m): 2:13pm On Aug 15, 2021
It was a blessing that you belong to my generation.... Many won't understand what it means to see this guy play football.

He was a source of joy to both the opponent and the home side.

#legendofthegame.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by Contango(m): 2:13pm On Aug 15, 2021
CSTRR:

Maradona has actually played for Barcelona also. (1982 - 1984)
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by CSTRR: 2:13pm On Aug 15, 2021
SARSCoV2:
False!

JayJay was a good and outstanding player, No doubt!

But talking about electrifying in football history, you cannot take it away from Ronaldinho

Dude made football look like acting.
When Jay jay was at the peak of his powers, he made football look like acting too.

Why do you think the world still remembers him?

He did not score many goals and there were other dribblers too that are now forgotten.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by Contango(m): 2:15pm On Aug 15, 2021
charlesm91:
quite the contrary, Ronaldinho didn’t just dribble cos he wanted to. It was always for a propose that led to an end result. The reason people hate Neymar is s he does it to show off rather than be purposeful. Dinho would make sure the match is won and still give you something to take home with.

I was actually referring to Okocha. Ronaldinho was a lot more a better player than Okocha tbh.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by Lightorder: 2:16pm On Aug 15, 2021
Mai Homeboy J
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by CSTRR: 2:16pm On Aug 15, 2021
Contango:

Maradona has actually played for Barcelona also. (1982 - 1984)
I stand corrected.

He didn't spend long there.

His greatest impact was at Napoli where he is now a legend.

He is not a Barcelona legend.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 15, 2021
CSTRR:

When Jay jsu was at the peak of powers, he made football look like acting too.

Why do you think the world still remembers him?

He did not score many goals and there were other dribblers too that are now forgotten.

You are right, but you still cannot compare JayJay to Ronaldinho when you want to say electrifying.

Ronaldinho was making everything thing look like a joke. Dude was making football look like a joke, and you cannot even tell of he was dancing or playing football. Atimes when you watch Ronaldinho clips from a traditional perspective, you might want to believe he is using voodoo. Every part of his body was dangerous to football.

2 Likes

Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by kendrick93(m): 2:17pm On Aug 15, 2021
cameroncucumber:
A D.umb assertion by FIFA. Why saying Okocha is Africa's equivalent of Ronaldinho? This is the height of insult and mother of all D.umb comparison.
For crying out loud Okocha was so good they named him twice, magnificent and flamboyant footballer that made us glue to our sanyo black & white TV. He went on to dazzle the world and became a record signing after his exploit in France 98 world cup ( I still can't forget how the commentator said it is Okocha vs Denmark as against Nigeria vs Denmark). Dinho is good, no doubt but saying JJ is his african equivalent na big insult. Even at PsG Dinho was a green horn. The disrespect for Africans is too much , that was how one D.umb reporter was seeking Eto's advice for Fati since Eto played with Messi, you can imagine the insult. Eto been an outspoken man of honor quickly corrected the st.upid reporter that Messi played with him(Eto) and he didnt play with Messi...
Right.
Dinho was way better, they shouldn't be in the same sentence
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by kenodrill: 2:18pm On Aug 15, 2021
A well talented player but lacks the goal scoring skills.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by EDOLUWA: 2:21pm On Aug 15, 2021
I used to assume he is a magician on the field
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by OkuFaba(m): 2:22pm On Aug 15, 2021
Pochettino:
We women just don't know what we are missing by not following football. So sad
you love football?? Are you married? If no come and marry me
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by Contango(m): 2:24pm On Aug 15, 2021
CSTRR:

I stand corrected.

He didn't spend long there.

His greatest impact was at Napoli where he is now a legend.

He is not a Barcelona legend.
True, he was not regarded as a Barcelona legend and that was probably because he spent his last days there but notwithstanding, he has other accolades like player of the century to his name. Okocha does not have any international individual award as far as I know.
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by CSTRR: 2:24pm On Aug 15, 2021
SARSCoV2:

You are right, but you still cannot compare JayJay to Ronaldinho when you want to say electrifying.

Ronaldinho was making everything thing look like a joke. Dude was making football look like a joke, and you cannot even tell of he was dancing or playing football. Atimes when you watch Ronaldinho clips from a traditional perspective, you might want to believe he is using voodoo. Every part of his body was dangerous to football.
Ronalinho was electrifying to you because he played in the modern era.

And he played in a big league and for a big club.

So you get to see his big games.

Okocha at the height of his powers was at Frankfurt.
He disgraced the greatest ever German goalkeeper and was the most skillful player in the German league bar none.

German league fans still worship Jay jay till today.

Even at PsG, he is still a legend there.
His pictures are still in their locker room for the likes of mbappe and Neymar to idolize.

If he goes there today, the PsG fans would go nuts for him.

That is due to his magic.

By the time jay Jay would get to Bolton in England, he had already waned, but then just the small anointing remaining in him was enough to crown him the most skillful player in the premier league as at then that people buy ticket to watch.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by BESTScientist1: 2:25pm On Aug 15, 2021
He's "goodest"
lathrowinger:

The Guy is good
Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by Abdulqareem: 2:28pm On Aug 15, 2021
CoolAmbience:

Keep speaking grammar.

Fact remains that Okocha couldn't have been awarded the Balon D'or, as he was never the best in the world at anytime.

There is no denying how exceptionally skillful Okocha was, but make we no carry this our yeye tribalism go international abeg. The award isn't all about skills...

Okocha no play ball reach Ronaldinho. In what year dem for even give am the World Best? Africa like am well well yet dem no fit give am CAF best.

CAF or NFF even remember him birthday?

Make una rest jare.

Exactly my point. Okocha is good, but honouring him with Balon D'or is a way too far. Zidane, Delima Ronaldo, Figo Ronaldinho, Messi and Ronaldo are miles better than Okocha. We are just blinded by tribalism. Eto'o, Kanu, Yaya Toure, Drogba and Mahrez made meaninful contributions to the game. How many goals, assist and contribution a player brings to the team matters.

1 Like

Re: FIFA: Okocha Is One Of The Most Electrifying Players In Football History by ignis: 2:29pm On Aug 15, 2021
Forumobserver12:

He Won 1996 Atlanta Olympic Gold medal, he was a successful footballer by all standards...Not winning many trophies does not take away the fact that he was an amazing footballer during his days...

Did I say he wasn't a successful player ? Why are you confusing and contradicting yourself ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Santiago Solari: When Lionel Messi Holds The Ball, The Earth Shakes / #ineverexperredit: Divine Oduduru Graduates From Texas Tech University (photos) / Lionel Messi's La Liga Record Is Mind-blowing (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.