Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,217 members, 7,836,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition (14445 Views)

Poll: Is it ok for them to do this sort of thing?

Yes, I support it.: 15% (17 votes)
No, it's a mistake.: 84% (96 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You A Pervert? Take This Test To Find Out.. / Try This Simple Test To Know If You Have A Weird Mind / See Covenant University Mobile Phone Outlaw Undertaking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by oluite(f): 11:19am On Jul 26, 2007
i dont know why there is so much outcry abot this.Oyedepo told them about dis condition of HIV and Pregnancy test before graduation in the very beginning.you can check the school handbook and they agreed to it.why d outcry now?
Any sincere student from covenant university will tell u they knew about dis from day 1,whether it's right or wrong is not the issue.The point is that they knew about dis and accepted the offer of admission.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by bencobenz(m): 11:24am On Jul 26, 2007
I wonder what they are turning our
higher institution into. Very soon you
will be denied of admission cos you were
seen talking to opposite sex. Come to think
of it, is it not Covenant university that we
all contributed to build? I'm sure when people
were contributing to build this university, it never
crossed their mind to say if you are HIV positive
please don't contribute! Discrimination of highest
order.
angry
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by rowlandwhy: 11:53am On Jul 26, 2007
Thats private an christian school 4 You.
They can determine who and who not to admit

anyway its left for themm sha
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 12:35pm On Jul 26, 2007
@bencobenz

thanks for repeating my point. It's not a good feeling if you know that somehow you have contributed to this bad policy.

Like they say: The only person not capable of getting Hiv is only a person that already has HIV.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by egoldman(m): 1:24pm On Jul 26, 2007
I would like to have a link to this story b4 i would comment on it .
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by uchetobi(f): 2:16pm On Jul 26, 2007
Go back to page 2 the link is there
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 26, 2007
naijaking1:

@bencobenz

thanks for repeating my point. It's not a good feeling if you know that somehow you have contributed to this bad policy.

Like they say: The only person not capable of getting Hiv is only a person that already has HIV.

so true
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 50kobo: 3:39pm On Jul 26, 2007
tats just crap, not because it is a private school it can discriminate against people! So if they say they wont accept a certain ethnic group of people, then that fine right? i am sadly disappointed I thought oyedpo was enlightened!
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Temmie10(m): 3:50pm On Jul 26, 2007
Sounds mo like a convent, than a uni
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by dearstan(m): 4:27pm On Jul 26, 2007
i find this highly hypocritical angry angry
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 26, 2007
Hey listen up people, It is either you BLEND OR YOU BEND
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 26, 2007
Wait a minute let me say something,
HIV test and PRegnancy test are carried out. before entering and before leavin the skool. YES , true.
but none of you why this test are being carried out.
In CU girls get pregnant, they are sent home for antenatal or prenatal care or whateva for a year
and they come back.
tell me who has beenexpelled bcoz of contacting HIV or getting pregnant.
plz get adequate info before you make a comment,
peace,
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by oyie(f): 6:30pm On Jul 26, 2007
these private universities remind me of my boarding secondary school! grin wink
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 7:16pm On Jul 26, 2007
At the end of d day na hypocrites dem dey convocate.

Its absolute rubbish.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by gears26(m): 9:40pm On Jul 26, 2007
WEB
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by samorijack(m): 9:53pm On Jul 26, 2007
ESS MY MAN PLS EDUCATE THESE PEOPLE ,I AGREE WITH YOU WHOLE HEARTEDLY,KEEP DOING YOU
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jul 26, 2007
why not, its a one man school, so they have a chioce, to take it or leave it grin
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by agbola(m): 11:36pm On Jul 26, 2007
i'm really disappointed in wat our modern day churches are turnin to, whether covenant is a private or public skul it must not 4get dat it is "God's skul". As far as i can remember, the church used to be a fortress for the damned, the trodden, the condemned and outcasts. Jesus never walked with the perfect no he made us understand that as christians we shud take care of these heartbroken pple.
So i don't understand the christian values covenant is tryin to impact in their students wen dey act this way

Bunch of hypocrites

Yeah Babcock is better (thank God u knw Busygirl)

I jus hope Makinde and Mrs Ola realise this before its too late and they continue in their foolish ways of following in Covenant's footsteps
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 2:44am On Jul 27, 2007
think the purpose of their action is to guard against moral laxity
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 4:07am On Jul 27, 2007
gears26:

I am not afraid to say

I am a student of the great school, COVENANT UNIVERSITY

Well,I would like to say don't really know who thinks for the school authority because i really don't know what moral or clean bill they are trying to give everyone,
Sorry to say the pope is not above mistake, to my own belief no 1 on tis earth is above mistake, God is our creator, I would not know why they are discriminating but no matter, i think this should be noted by the govt & the senate, Please talk to the so called oyedepo university,,,,what is the difference between +ve & -ve hiv person, I guess we see adverts n daily basis from sport,business,music,

Why does he choose to HEAL hive person why not tell him to stop the healing or probably cast them out,
The issue of pregnancy, I have seen sorry its not that i only know but i have seen a 13 year old girl give birth,the girl stays with her parent in lagos here & the parents are not even educated, I would not know why the BISHOP or PAPA-OYEDEPO has he is called, I m not against your policy but please do have a re-think-permit me to use the world,
Please stop the DISCRIMINATION,

I feel u man.All bunch of hypocrites from Obayan down.Na talk no be say d skul dey kampe for academics sef.Abeg let the govt pay more attention to d government schools so we can have our best schools back.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 27, 2007
In a country like ours I think this school is doing a great job to wisen people up.

Now people will know that HIV is real as there are still some who believe it isn't. I am sorry for those poor HIV patients but their expulsion will help a greater number of people. It's better to suffer in few than throw the entire country into the drain. I wish all schools will start making this a pre-condition.

And please stop attacking the USA. If you were in their shoes you'll do the same. Are you not the same people who would not have anything to with an epileptic patient? Abeg! Drop your hypocrisy and stop acting as the sensitive ones.
Most of you hear who is saying "ah that is nor fair". I wonder if you'd ever share the same roof with someone with HIV.

As for the pregnant girls, all I can say is that they are not stupid. I can understand if the pregnancy is the result of rape but otherwise I can't absolutely defend them. A girl studying should know her priorities and if she decides to have fun. there are many ways to prevent themselves. In a country where women rights are matched upon, all I can say is that, these girls are bleeping stupid!
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Soundmind(m): 2:31pm On Jul 27, 2007
A ah why? What happens if one was Hiv -ve when admitted but becomes Hiv +ve along the line, we they expell him/her? Are they telling us none of their student do jigijigi one they are in school?
Does it mean that there female student are not allowed to marry until they graduates
? Or are they saying that if they are married the man should go on sex (child bearing) holiday until the wife graduates? What is sin in a fully married woman getting pregnant. And they wed in there church, dedicate child, pray for pregnant women and even pray against barreness. What a contradiction
I never see dis kin thin o
They are owing both of them prayers and support instead of rejecting them. I wish "IT BEGINS WITH YOU" start with them.
I know some of there members are Hiv +ve, have they expelled them, some are pen robbers in office where they work, some are even 419ers. what have they done to them?
I think they are getting it wrong somewhere.
I pray that all of us will come to undestand that we are leaving for each.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 4:41pm On Jul 27, 2007
Good point of supporting dem nt sending dem out like thu
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Gamine(f): 4:45pm On Jul 27, 2007
Who ever said theyd GET sent away

For goodness sakes they r graduating

and if they are Positive isnt it for their own good

they cld get help

same if they r pregnant

I reli dont know whut the issue is,

Simple tests

NAWA FOR U PPLE ON THIS THREAD!!!!!!!
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nicer(m): 5:10pm On Jul 27, 2007
My problem with this country is the unreasonable respect we give to religious leaders,christian and muslim. I'm sick and tired of hearing "don't talk like that to the man of God".u wey dey talk, u be man of devil? under the guise of religion, these so-called 'men of God' have wrecked so much havoc. whats our problem? i partially agree with the guy that said religion has destroyed Africa. u can imagine a governor who stole money, was arrested abroad, jumped bail, sneaked into the country disguised as a woman and still had the guts to say he returned by miracle. "God brought me home" what the f**K? we are so, so hypocritical in this country and it makes me sick to my stomach. we commit every attrocity under the sun in the name of God. now someone has decided to discriminate against HIV patients in the name of God. what next are we going to do in His name?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by adconline(m): 6:28pm On Jul 27, 2007
what are lawyers doing in Nigeria? let human right lawyers slam them with law suits and demand for monetary compensations
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiori(m): 8:28pm On Jul 27, 2007
In principle they've done nothing wrong to warrant lawsuits just yet. Until someone has been victimized, we can only sit and watch.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Planner(m): 9:24pm On Jul 27, 2007
I don't think this is a far fetched decision, even the US embassy refuses to grant HIV positive individuals immigrant visas. It is all about protecting themselves. I would imagine the school wont want to be in a situation where they'd be forced to provide costly medical care for students who end up testing positive. Besides how many students who are positive will reveal their status to their peers so they can take precaution

See I can understand if the Us refuses ti give HIV positive people Visa. But we are talking an school in the country discriminating against PLWA. It is grossly unfair.

Anyway i do not know what our constitution says about discrimination. if is not written in the constitution as it dome in the US constitution then the school may not be breaking any law. However, i believe that the school that claims to have a religious bent should read the bible very well and understans that PLWA are also human beings and not animals. It could be our neighbours, sisters, brothers, uncle, and other relations.

If it is true, then what is our lawmakes doing?

Just imagine if this happened in the USA
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by spoilt(f): 9:37pm On Jul 27, 2007
that means mary the mother of Jesus would have been driven away from this school back in the day! grin
just a thought to ponder on!
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiori(m): 11:44pm On Jul 27, 2007
Spoilt, don't bring up the issue of Mary the mother of Jesus. Even me, I for stone am if she tell me that kind of thing. Pregnant without a man! This is something more contemporary and believable than immaculate conception. Covenant University should not in any way discriminate against PLWA. It's simply wrong. And I am optimistic Bishop Oyedepo does not know, and when he does he will upturn the decision. After all, some of his members are PLWA.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by WesleyanA(f): 11:49pm On Jul 27, 2007
spoilt:

that means mary the mother of Jesus would have been driven away from this school back in the day! grin
just a thought to ponder on!

lol. grin

Covenant University should not in any way discriminate against PLWA. It's simply wrong. And I am optimistic Bishop Oyedepo does not know, and when he does he will upturn the decision. After all, some of his members are PLWA.

excuse my ignorace, what does PLWA stand for?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Galadriel(f): 11:50pm On Jul 27, 2007
You guys have got to be kidding me right? shocked This policy is for real I am still trying to wrap ma head around the whole thing and understand it lest I jump to the wrong conclusions and contribute an opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Fires Burns Hostel At Cross River State College Of Education / 4 EKSU Lecturers Die Of Hunger In 2 Months Over Unpaid Salaries / Thread For Masters Degree Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.