Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,160 members, 7,818,531 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri (46556 Views)

The Coronation Of Tsola Emiko As Olu Of Warri (Full Video) / Moment Omoba Tsola Emiko Was Crowned As 21st Olu of Warri / Prince Tsola Emiko To Succeed Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by GTCO: 8:02pm On Aug 21, 2021
Otuegbe:
Itsekiri owns Warri, no doubt
it's owned by igbos
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Flakky26(f): 8:02pm On Aug 21, 2021
He must have been living Abroad now. sounds more like a strong born again christian.

PHIPEX:
I don't think I have enjoyed listening to a king in Nigeria like this new King, maybe Sanusi. He sounded very smart.

1 Like

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Systrom(m): 8:11pm On Aug 21, 2021
tillaman:
Patiently waiting for Ologbotsere to react!!
Congrats King Tsola Emiko
Was Ayiri Emami at the coronation ?
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Dagger111(m): 8:22pm On Aug 21, 2021
teebillz:

How do kings hijack lands in your climes? In my place, there's no land without ownership. Kings don't necessarily own the land. A lot of people have more lands than the king himself, and there's nothing he can do about it. It is not even possible for the royals or rich and powerful people to hijack lands from even the weakest and the poorest.

Says, a warri man.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Emeka71(m): 8:28pm On Aug 21, 2021
Dwayne22:
This one go turn palace to club house

Make him sha no go impregnate all the village girls cheesy
He won't; he would rather turn the palace to a fellowship center; he is a solid Christian.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by generalwo(m): 8:41pm On Aug 21, 2021
Miscellaneous:

If u are not from there, then keep shut. U dont know the history of the place. Itsekiris own warri. Im from there. Itsekiris are small so alot of other tribes encroach into their areas
..... If you talk this nonsense for where urhobo person dey, e slap u, fight Don start.... Nobody asked u who owns the place... Read the post and comment appropriately...... Stop bringing the issue of ownership of warri into the issue.... Warri is owned by all tribes from delta and those born there.... Case close.... Na coronation them dey celebrate no be victory of one tribe over the other... Your comment about warri ownership by the Itsekiri is totally irrelevant in this post / case
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by gevans(m): 9:03pm On Aug 21, 2021
donforeign:
..ogiame soindsblike a Benin title ..

Warri Kingdom has a strong tie with the Binin Kingdom

Atuwatse II once drop the title because of his faith. He believes it's a goddess name. However, his decision was vehemently rejected. He then revert to the title.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Marvelous5660(m): 10:14pm On Aug 21, 2021
Otuegbe:
don't fool urself urhobo and Ijaw owns warri, itsekiri are visitors.with time everything we come back to normal. E go shock dat time
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by baby124: 10:19pm On Aug 21, 2021
ibuildstuff:

He's talking historically.
The people that make up itsekiri are believe to be from Ile Ife, but adopted a benin prince name ginuwa to be their king.

So the language is a mixture of Yoruba, Benin and a little bit of Portugal due to their contact with the Portuguese.
They only accepted Ginuwa because of his claim to the Ife throne and, as in Ife prince. All of them, including Benin royals trace their ancestry to Ife.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by theInterpreter: 10:40pm On Aug 21, 2021
Born2Breed:

Yoruba Royals are Benin
cheesy Alaafin is Bini? what does Alaafin mean in igodomigodo language?grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by WarriAproko: 11:15pm On Aug 21, 2021
Ogiame Souuu. ATUWATSE III.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by WarriAproko: 11:16pm On Aug 21, 2021
Marvelous5660:
don't fool urself urhobo and Ijaw owns warri, itsekiri are visitors.with time everything we come back to normal. E go shock dat time
stop misleading others. Everyone knows their boundaries. No Tribe is Claiming ownership of any Unused Land in Warri.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by WarriAproko: 11:18pm On Aug 21, 2021
Miscellaneous:

If u are not from there, then keep shut. U dont know the history of the place. Itsekiris own warri. Im from there. Itsekiris are small so alot of other tribes encroach into their areas
Don't mislead people if u don't know the History of Warri

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by WarriAproko: 11:20pm On Aug 21, 2021
Systrom:
Was Ayiri Emami at the coronation ?
No was at Kano for Another Coronation. He is Suspended feom any Palace Duty

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by WarriAproko: 11:22pm On Aug 21, 2021
Otuegbe:
They Control The Itsekiri region. Warri Province have 3 tribes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Tzar(m): 1:00am On Aug 22, 2021
Just like the Bini’s of Benin kingdom, the Itsekiri have a deep tie to the Yorubas. Infact, the 1st kings of these great kingdoms were from ancient Ife. In the past, coronotions were done with links and similar rituals to that of Ile Ife. Technically, Yorubas, Binis & Itsekiris are from the same blood & root.
These three great peoples have created their current variants of language, culture and traditions which are similar due to their roots, but evolved differently/uniquely due to politics & conflicts with one another, contact with other people & civilizations, their unique environment and other factors.

donestk:
I though 'Olu' is Yoruba name undecided

errands.ng® - Nigeria’s largest online marketplace to get things done quickly. Post errands, receive offers from people and award the task to someone. Learn more: https://errands.ng

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by BornRicch(m): 2:15am On Aug 22, 2021
Nisiw365:

Akanbi son of oduduwa was his father
Who was the father of Oduduwa? Is there any Oduduwa family's in Ife? Yoruba and lie be like bread and egg with small sardine inside. Liars.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by unofficialapple: 2:17am On Aug 22, 2021
Dagger111:
Last last, na to dey collect people's wives and hijack lands and properties here and there.

Do you think the Olu of Warri is like the dime-a-dozen Yoruba Kings and Obas that appointed by your Jagaban? (Oni of Ife, Oluwo of Iwo, Oniru) et.al?
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by itsene: 6:13am On Aug 22, 2021
TAO12:
(1) ON ITSEKIRI:

To know who the Itsekiris are, ask them. What/who do the Itsekiris themselves say they are?

(A) The eyewitness accounts collected from them in the 1800s have them confirming to the Europeans that they are part and parcel of the larger Yoruba group:

(I) Let me now refer briefly to the tribes that people this part of the world. First we come to the Jakris, who are connected in race and language with the Yoruba people, extending from the Mahin country on the west to the Forcados on the East, and inland about as far as Sapele.

~ H. L. Gallwey, “Journeys in the Benin Country, West Africa,” The Geographical Journal, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Feb., 1893), p.127.

(II) In this respect, however, the officials agree with the tradition of the people at Warri, the Jekries, who claim to come from the west.

~ H. Ling Roth, “Great Benin: Its Customs, Arts and Horrors,” (1903), pp.8-9.

(B) This historical reality of the Itsekiris have remained the same since that period (i.e. the 1800s & prior) all the way to the present century, day & time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKLTie7LhKQ

(I) For example, at timestamp 7:01 to 7:13 of this video, Chief Robinson Ariyo (the Egogo of Warri kingdom) says and I quote:

Yoruba, a place where we are from our roots.

(II) At timestamp 8:22 to 8:27 of this video, Chief Isaac Jemide (the Oshodin of Warri kingdom) says:

we are a Yoruba people as such.

(2) ON ODUDUWA:

First of all, there is no such historical personage called Izoduwa (Imadoduwa) etc. in Benin traditions.

The IzOdUwA narrative is a fabrication that was made up by some Binis in the 1970s. And it was first heard of by the typical Edo person during Omonoba Erediauwa’s coronation ceremony of 1978-9.

Academic/professional historians (NOT the Benin neighborhood story-tellers) all laugh at this fabrication for being a poor job. This scandal is known to experts. Benin elders also know it. See attached screenshot for one example.

The classical story of the Bini Ekeladerhan which was first collected in the year 1889 is clear that he lived the remaining part of his life in his newly founded kingdom, Ughoton.

A Bini chronicler and chief (J. Uwadiae Egharevba) who flourished decades later also collected practically the same story of Ekaladerhan (from an entirely different generation of Bini informants), and his story also ended at his kingdom, Ughoton.

During all these period, Benin history recognizes King Oduduwa as being distict from Ekeladerhan. In fact, it is clear from the early Benin works that Oduduwa was already a King at Ife long before Ekaladerhan’s fore-fathers would be born.

In other words, it is very clear from the early records of Benin history that Oduduwa ruled in Ife when the first Ogiso, viz. Ogiso Igodo was sent to Igodomigodo to establish a supreme-supra-chiefdom there.

Whereas, Ekalderhan is the son of the last Ogiso, viz. Ogiso Owodo according to Benin records (even the recent records haven’t yet modified this part).

This is what the earliest records of Benin history say — that, Oduduwa is a different and distinct person from Ekeladerhan. They flourished in different eras.

Fast forward to the 1970s, lies began to surface in the history of Benin. The motive behind these lies have been variously linked, by scholars, to — for example — the need for the modern Binis to ground the idea of an exceptional antiquity for their people and claims for its exclusive part in the sociopolitical life of independent Nigeria ~ Bondarenko (2003:68).

In summary, early Benin history recognize Oduduwa as a different & distinct person from Ekaladerhan. He is recognized as having flourished at the outset of the Ogiso monarchy. It wasn’t until the 1970s before the Binis attempted to alter their own early documented history so as to equate two different persons as one and the same person for the purpose of veiling what they perceive to be an embarrassing aspect of their history in a newly formed country, Nigeria.

So, who is King Oduduwa? Oodua ruled as king only in Yorubaland. So, again (just like the Itsekiris’s case) ask at Ife (where he ruled) to know who he is.

According to received Ife traditions (and obviously the earliest Yoruba traditions), Oduduwa is known (without any confusion) as Oshin Ora in his oriki.

In the earliest Yoruba traditions, he is identified as a Yoruba leader who hailed from the hilly settlement of Oke-Ora; that is, one of the seven hilly settlements surrounding the Ife-bowl.

Peace!
Cc: KingOdart, Nisiw365, theInterpreter, ibuildstuff, Born2Breed, donforeign, LamidiCownu

——————
PS: @Enceladus, please be guided that the circular burial pits discovered are eleven (11) in total.

Screenshot Reference:
J. Eboreime, “Oral Traditions and the Prehistory of the Edo-Speaking People of Benin” in Blench and Spriggs, Archaeology and Language I, Taylor & Francis e-Library, 2004, p. 314.
All your references are books and papers written about " Benin country, Benin customs, Benin this and that etc".
What does that tell you?
Where are the books on Yoruba people and their land? That's where you should be quoting from, my friend.
Awolowo's contribution to trying to disrupt traditional institution s is well known. That's a matter for another day.
If anyone says they are not from Benin, fine. Just move on.
There's a connection between Ife and Benin but " Yorubas" want a revised and incorrect mythological version. Europeans didn't come to southern Nigeria in search of Yorubas or their great culture. That's why there are few books written. It was Benin they were interested in.
As for people being buried in Ife, that was Olubuse's version straight out of Awolowo's Action Group' political playbook. Complete garbage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Jolo1983: 6:23am On Aug 22, 2021
What do you know by the word WARRI PROVINCE? Warri province is referring to the whole of Delta state. In those old days the word WARRI was use to bind all land in the now Delta as a single entity though there was a place actually known as Warri which now comprise the three warri LGA.
WarriAproko:
They Control The Itsekiri region. Warri Province have 3 tribes
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Born2Breed(f): 7:09am On Aug 22, 2021
itsene:

All your references are books and papers written about " Benin country, Benin customs, Benin this and that etc".
What does that tell you?
Where are the books on Yoruba people and their land? That's where you should be quoting from, my friend.
Awolowo's contribution to trying to disrupt traditional institution s is well known. That's a matter for another day.
There's a connection between Ife and Benin but " Yorubas" want a revised and incorrect mythological version. Europeans didn't come to southern Nigeria in search of Yorubas or their great culture. That's why there are few books written. It was Benin they were interested in.
As for people being buried in Ife, that was Olubuse's version straight out of Awolowo's Action Group' political playbook. Complete garbage.

Thank you. I've stopped responding to that revisionist.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Born2Breed(f): 7:13am On Aug 22, 2021
donestk:
I though 'Olu' is Yoruba name undecided

errands.ng® - Nigeria’s largest online marketplace to get things done quickly. Post errands, receive offers from people and award the task to someone. Learn more: https://errands.ng

It was changed recently by Awolowo. The agitation for Mid West region from the then Western region were not just political but cultural because Awolowo was bent on disrupting the tradition of the Mid Western to promote his own tradition.

Many of his atrocities should be left for another day.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Dagger111(m): 7:38am On Aug 22, 2021
unofficialapple:

Do you think the Olu of Warri is like the dime-a-dozen Yoruba Kings and Obas that appointed by your Jagaban? (Oni of Ife, Oluwo of Iwo, Oniru) et.al?

Ur brain cells are damaged already.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by TAO12: 8:33am On Aug 22, 2021
I’m sorry that your feelings was hurt by the truth, but that was not the intention. Apologies accepted?

itsene:
All your references are books and papers written about " Benin country, Benin customs, Benin this and that etc". What does that tell you?
It tells me that works (written by some Europeans) and whose title contains the word “Benin” also attests to the view that the Itsekiris are part of the Yoruba group as received from the Itsekiris themselves.

It also tells me that a work (written by a Bini historian) and whose title contains the word “Benin” also attests to the fact that Binis are fraudsters vis-a-vis their attempt to magically transform Oodua into a Edo man, in the 1970s.

Having said that, I would have expected that a honest Benin source would sound convincing to you, but it appears that nothing convinces a typical Bini person except the very propaganda with which they’ve been force-fed from childhood.

Anyways, since what you’re dying to trust is a source whose title shows the word “Yoruba,” “Ife,” “Oyo,” etc., (instead of one whose title shows the word “Benin,” etc.), let’s see how far you can go with that pretense.

Okay, let’s now quote something from a book oN YoRuBa pEoPLe aNd tHEiR LaNd.

It is however abundantly evident that Benin and Dahome are integral parts of Yoruba, somewhat differing in language, but identical in manners, customs, and religion

~ Richard F. Burton, “Abeokuta and the Camaroons Mountains,” (1863), p.222.

Don’t go yet, there is actually one more here to serve:

In Benin coronation rituals, as well as annual royal ceremonies, the king’s cheeks are painted with chalk lines to show what are said to be Yoruba facial patterns, then these marks are effaced.

~ Suzanne P. Blier, “Art and Risk in Ancient Yoruba,” (2015), p.247.

You must be so glad now. Let’s know what you think.

LMAO! grin

Cite one historical evidence to support whatever crap you intend here whenever you get the chance. I look forward to it even though it may take you centuries.

Lest I forget, don’t give me a my-daddy-say or a my-mummy-say as historical evidence oo.

I can’t remember writing that comment to you.

By the way, why exactly are you mad that I corrected someone else’s misleading innuendo? I’m curious. You wished that I left him to peddle confusion?

There's a connection between Ife and Benin but " Yorubas" want a revised and incorrect mythological version.
Really, you probably read my earlier comment with your eyes closed.

Re-read that screenshot (from an academic historian of Bini origin) and revert back here to tell us who the liars are. LMAO! Accept history (and shun fabrications) even if history exposes you as very little.

Europeans didn't come to southern Nigeria in search of Yorubas or their great culture. That's why there are few books written. It was Benin they were interested in.
LMAO? The earliest publication featuring some of the peoples of the “Nigeria” region was in the year 1506.

Some of the first places visited by the first Europeans in the course of their exploration is Yorubaland by D. Pacheco Periera in the late 1400s.

Publications featuring Oyo’s imperial activities in the Dahomey region followed in the 1600s (among other places), Similar publications followed in the 1700s and so forth.

One interesting thing worth pointing out is that Binis often claim to have a gigantic ancient wall around its city — which was supposedly completely destroyed in the late 1800s by the British. cheesy

Well, the eyewitness account of the D. P. Pereira from his visit to Benin in the late 1400s/early 1500s says in unambiguous terms that Benin “has no walls” around it.

That is just a few years after “Ewuare” just passed.

The head of the royal corpse was subsequently exhumed and taken to the royal ancestral grave at Ile-Ife; but this was done in every third reign.

~ J. U. Egharevba, “Benin Law and Custom,” CMS Niger Press, Port Harcourt, 1946, p.72.

The quotation here comes from the most authoritative chronicler from Benin who goes by the name Olubuse, Awolowo, Action Group, Chief J. U. Egharevba — the Obakhavbaye of Benin kingdom.

Peace!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by mrksquare: 11:17am On Aug 22, 2021
AutoChick4U:
Is he married?

He is married to the first daughter of Late Captain Hosa Okunbo
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by mrksquare: 11:21am On Aug 22, 2021
WarriAproko:

Was his father the Olu of Warri that converted into a born again and rejected his Aguama title ?
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by mrksquare: 11:22am On Aug 22, 2021
WarriAproko:

Was his father the Olu of Warri that converted into a born again and rejected his Ogiama title ?
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Successmind(m): 12:41pm On Aug 22, 2021
See the leg...I fall oo
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 2:00pm On Aug 22, 2021
Nisiw365:

Benin royals are yoruba

Says who

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Marvelous5660(m): 4:05pm On Aug 22, 2021
WarriAproko:
stop misleading others. Everyone knows their boundaries. No Tribe is Claiming ownership of any Unused Land in Warri.
so I think is high time you people should stop addressing him as olu of warri but as olu of itsekiri people. Cus they are other tribes in warri.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Christians Are Not Terrorists, But Commit Wicked Crimes – Sultan / Emir Aminu Bayero's Daughter, Rukayyah Weds Emir Umar Usman's Son (Picture) / Sexy Igbo Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.