Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,274 members, 7,811,803 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:56 PM

Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri (46522 Views)

The Coronation Of Tsola Emiko As Olu Of Warri (Full Video) / Moment Omoba Tsola Emiko Was Crowned As 21st Olu of Warri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by WarriAproko: 5:51pm On Aug 22, 2021
Jolo1983:
What do you know by the word WARRI PROVINCE? Warri province is referring to the whole of Delta state. In those old days the word WARRI was use to bind all land in the now Delta as a single entity though there was a place actually known as Warri which now comprise the three warri LGA.
ok. Thanks for this.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by TAO12: 6:40pm On Aug 22, 2021
gregyboy:
Says who
Your screenshot is an opinion of a certain Ryder from the year 1965.

Guess what has happened between 1965 and 2021 in the field of historical scholarship of African history.

The field of historical scholarship of African history has unanimously debunked that opinion from Ryder.

See for example:

A. Akinjogbin (1967), F. Willett (1973), R. C. C. Law (1973), R. Horton (1979), A. Obayemi (1980), R. Smith (1988), B. Adediran (1991), D. Bondarenko (2003), S. A. Akintoye (2010), A. Ogundiran (2020), et al.

A summary of this unanimous conclusion of scholars is aptly put in a 2016 publication as attached below in the 2nd screenshot below:

Cheers!

Cc: Nisiw365

5 Likes

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by KingWarri: 10:30pm On Aug 22, 2021
Otuegbe:
Itsekiri owns Warri, no doubt
Yet their palace is on rentage to an Urhobo Monarch.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Tzar(m): 10:54pm On Aug 22, 2021
You are an ignoramus who knows nothing about history.

Born2Breed:

It was changed to Olu recently by Awolowo. The agitation for Mid West region from the then Western region were not just political but cultural because Awolowo was bent on disrupting the tradition of the Mid Western to promote his own tradition.

Many of his atrocities should be left for another day.

4 Likes

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by macof(m): 12:59am On Aug 23, 2021
BornRicch:

Who was the father of Oduduwa? Is there any Oduduwa family's in Ife? Yoruba and lie be like bread and egg with small sardine inside. Liars.
I believe this question has been answered many times but you Bini youth like to replay the same thing.
It is like pouring water into a basket with you people

_____

Oduduwa known by many titles including "Olofin Aye" and "Olufe" was first known all over as "Osin-ora" living east of Ilé-Ifẹ̀.

Because of scarce resources and issues with the Iloromu people he moved his people to Idio. Where he set up a new abode
His grove can be found in Igbo-Idio and his house is still at Ora Hill

So he has family at Ifẹ̀. Go to the Obadio who represents him. You can't sit down in Bini or wherever and be saying what you don't know about the people in Ife

2 Likes

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by TAO12: 6:49am On Aug 23, 2021
@BronRicch aka @Born2Breed:

You appear to me to be one of the remaining willfully ignorant folks in the world.

Will you not wake up and smell the coffee to realize (as already found by historians the word over) that the king Oduduwa of Ife:

(1) Has nothing to do in terms of descent with Binis— but somewhat the other war round, since Benin obas (not the autochthonous Binis themselves) descended from him?

(2) Flourished circa 1000AD at the outset of the Ogiso system (and not at its close as fabricated in the 1970s by the incoming Erediauwa regime), and as such can not possibly have anything to do with Ogiso Owodo (the last of the Ogisos) in terms of descent from him?

It is high time you emancipated yourself from mental slavery by leveraging on knowledge. Prior to the 1970s, Oduduwa remains (in the Bini worldview) a non-Edo outside overlord to whom the foundation of Benin monarchies are indebted.

The attached is an apt summary of the facts by a Bini professional academic historian.

J. Eboreime, “Oral Traditions and the Prehistory of the Edo-Speaking People of Benin” in Blench and Spriggs, Archaeology and Language I: Theoretical and Methodological Orientations, Taylor & Francis e-Library, 2004, p. 314.

Cc: rhektor, nisai, Nisiw365, KingOdart, macof

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by TAO12: 6:49am On Aug 23, 2021
Having pointed out that the 1970s Izoduwa joke has been debunked by professional/academic historians; what then do historical studies say today on the roots of Oduduwa in the light of the earliest traditions and other source evidence??

First of all, the archaeological survey of the Ife country shows that it lies in a high bowl surrounded by hills which all form a kind of watershed for streams flowing out through gaps between the hills.

Paul Ozanne’s 1969 report of his archaeological survey finds that many settlements were already on ground in the Ife country by circa 350 BCE.

These settlements increased in number and size over time, and by 900AD when great changes began in the area, these settlements must have been up to the 13 whose names have been passed via the traditions to the present century.

These settlements include: Iloromu (which lay along a stretch of today’s Ife-Ilesha road); Ideta (which lay along today’s road to Mokuro); Odin (which lay along the modern road to Ifewara); Iwinrin (which covered the area of today’s Koiwo and Oronno quarters); Omologun (which covered part of what is now OAU campus); Imojubi (which lay along today’s Ife-Ondo road); Ijugbe; Oke-Oja; & Iraye (which all lay west of the area now known as Modakeke). The sites of Ido; Oke-Awo; Iloran and Parakin are difficult to asserctain.

The other settlements whose names have also come down to us through the traditions are: Ilare, Esije, Ita-Yemoo, Orun-Oba-Ado (the settlement named after the burial site), Ilara, and Idio.

As already rightly pointed out to you by @macof, king Oduduwa of Ife (even before becoming the king of the Ife country) was first widely known (and passed down till date by the early traditions) as Ọṣìn-Ọrà — i.e., the Head of Ora community.

Ọrà (or aptly: Òkè-Ọrà — that is, Ọrà-Hill) was an old hilly settlement in the Ife country, particularly sited in the Iloromu part of the country.

The traditions recall that it was in this hilly community of Ọrà that Oduduwa’s homeland is prior to relocating down into the Omologun settlement of the “Ife bowl”.

After the long civil-conflict between the autochthones of the “Ife-bowl” and the new groups who continued to join them (a conflict which appears from a careful analysis of the traditions to have preceded Oduduwa himself), he moved his base from the partly ruined compounds of Omologun to Idio settlement on a low hill which gently slopes in all directions.

It was from this new base (at Idio) that the new task of reorganizing the newly emerging city of Ile-Ife began. Ife thus became one single kingdom in contrast to the former confederation of kingdoms of the pre-existing settlements. The project of building a protective wall around the city was also launched.

As @macof as advised, go to Ife if you’re curious and interview spokespersons of his family one of whom is the Obadio of Ife, Chief Ifaloba Ifaranti whose picture is attached below. His family members are the royal princes and princesses of Ile-Ife today.

Peace: grin

PS: Out of “curiosity”, could you please tell me the name of the father of the so-called Pa IDU? Lol.

Cc: nisai, Nisiw365, rhektor, KingOdart

8 Likes 4 Shares

An Interesting Post:
Lieutenant John King, R.N. who visited the Benin area sometimes between 1815 and 1820 has the following to say about the actual crown (i.e. the primary/ initial crown of the Itsekiri nation):

At Warri "the actual crown of the sovereign is a sort of large cap in the shape of a cone three feet high, covered with coral beads and with a couple of birds' heads on top" (King)..

~ John King, c.1817, cited in H. L. Roth, Great Benin: Its Customs, Arts, and Horrors, (1903), p.27, note 1.

This description of the primary Itsekiri crown (from J. King’s eyewitness observation) matches nothing else but the signature Yoruba crowns popularly known as: Adé-Ńlá which is said by the Yoruba kingdoms holding them to be the actual crown (design) with which the princes from IFE originally left Ife to establish their own respective kingdom.

These Ade-Nla crowns are usually adorned only once during sacred installation rites by the kingdoms who hold such jewels. An example of what Ade-Nla crowns look like is as attached below.

The logical implication of the foregoing information is that this primary (or “actual”) crown of the Itsekiris is the actual crown (among his royal share) with which Ginuwa left the Benin palace in the mid/late-1400.

It then follows logically that the Benin palace itself is a Yoruba place (in a foreign land) as have been noted by the early received Benin traditions as well as the Yoruba traditions which notes that Ade-Nla was given to the Ife princes as a part of their royal gifts.

This explains, more clearly, why his (Ginuwa’s) group was accepted by the autochthonous group of the land without any resistance — i.e. an Ade-Nla crown which established his legitimacy as a “son” of Oodua.

History proves itself again for the umpteenth time. cheesy

Cc: nisai, Nisiw365, rhektor, KingOdart, macof

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Born2Breed(f): 11:34am On Aug 23, 2021
macof:
I believe this question has been answered many times but you Bini youth like to replay the same thing.

_____

Oduduwa known by many titles including "Olofin Aye" and "Olufe" was first known all over as "Osin-ora" living east of Ilé-Ifẹ̀.

Because of scarce resources and issues with the Iloromu people he moved his people to Idio. Where he set up a new abode

So he has family at Ifẹ̀. Go to the Obadio who represents him. You can't sit down in Bini or wherever and be saying what you don't know about the people in Ife

Which one fell from the sky sorry which one came from mecca? grin
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by BornRicch(m): 3:11pm On Aug 23, 2021
macof:

_____

You're slow. Stop lying to yourself. Ife is a village and Oduduwa has no family in ife. btw I live in Lagos not Bini.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Born2Breed(f): 11:20pm On Aug 23, 2021
Tzar:
You are an ignoramus who knows nothing about history.

Says a miserable ignoramus
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Born2Breed(f): 11:24pm On Aug 23, 2021
TAO12:
@BronRicch aka @Born2Breed:

You appear to me to be one of the remaining willfully ignorant folks in the world.

Will you not wake up and smell the coffee to realize (as already found by historians the word over) that the king Oduduwa of Ife:

(1) Has nothing to do in terms of descent with Binis— but somewhat the other war round, since Benin obas (not the autochthonous Binis themselves) descended from him?

(2) Flourished circa 1000AD at the outset of the Ogiso system (and not at its close as fabricated in the 1970s by the incoming Erediauwa regime), and as such can not possibly have anything to do with Ogiso Owodo (the last of the Ogisos) in terms of descent from him?

It is high time you emancipated yourself from mental slavery by leveraging on knowledge. Prior to the 1970s, Oduduwa remains (in the Bini worldview) a non-Edo outside overlord to whom the foundation of Benin monarchies are indebted.

The attached is an apt summary of the facts by a Bini professional academic historian.

J. Eboreime, “Oral Traditions and the Prehistory of the Edo-Speaking People of Benin” in Blench and Spriggs, Archaeology and Language I: Theoretical and Methodological Orientations, Taylor & Francis e-Library, 2004, p. 314.

Cc: rhektor, nisai, Nisiw365, KingOdart, macof

You are a basket case. A confused and silly thing.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by TAO12: 11:31pm On Aug 23, 2021
Born2Breed:
[s]You are a basket case. A confused and silly thing.[/s]
Is that all? LMAO cheesy

Sorry oo! My intention was not to hurt your feeling.

Anyways, the key takeaway here is that you must tell your kids the truth from day-1 so they’re not broken if they find out from outside.

Peace. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by TAO12: 11:33pm On Aug 23, 2021
Born2Breed:
[s]Which one fell from the sky sorry which one came from mecca? grin[/s]
The so-called Pa IDU came from mEcCa, the so-called Ogiso IGODO fell from the SkY. /s

Cc: macof.

3 Likes

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by MufasaLion: 1:46am On Aug 24, 2021
TAO12:
An Interesting Post:
Lieutenant John King, R.N. who visited the Benin area sometimes between 1815 and 1820 has the following to say about the actual crown (i.e. the primary/ initial crown of the Itsekiri nation):

At Warri "the actual crown of the sovereign is a sort of large cap in the shape of a cone three feet high, covered with coral beads and with a couple of birds' heads on top" (King)..

~ John King, c.1817, cited in H. L. Roth, Great Benin: Its Customs, Arts, and Horrors, (1903), p.27, note 1.

This description of the primary Itsekiri crown (from J. King’s eyewitness observation) matches nothing else but the signature Yoruba crowns popular known as: Adé-Ńlá which is said by the Yoruba kingdoms holding them to be the actual crown (design) with which the Ife princes originally left Ife to establish their own respective kingdom.

These Ade-Nla crowns are usually adorned only once during sacred installation rites by the kingdoms who hold such jewels. An example of what Ade-Nla crowns look like is as attached below.

The logical implication of the foregoing information is that this primary (or “actual”) crown of the Itsekiris is the actual crown (among his royal share) with which Ginuwa left the Benin palace in the mid/late-1400.

It then follows logically that the Benin palace itself is a Yoruba place (in a foreign land) as have been noted by the early received Benin traditions as well as the Yoruba traditions which notes that Ade-Nla was given to the Ife princes as a part of their royal gifts.

This explains, more clearly, why his (Ginuwa’s) group was accepted by the autochthonous group of the land without any resistance — i.e. an Ade-Nla crown which established his legitimacy as a “son” of Oodua.

History proves itself again for the umpteenth time. cheesy

Cc: nisai, Nisiw365, rhektor, KingOdart, macof

So this is the stolen crown?
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by TAO12: 1:50am On Aug 24, 2021
MufasaLion:
So this is the stolen crown?
No.

The stolen crown is a silver European style crown. It went missing sometimes this year or so.

The image attached is only a sample of what Ade-Nla typically looks like in the Yoruba kingdoms.

And the Itsekiris’ Ade-Nla (if missing) must have gone missing in the 1800s or early 1900s. Search EUrOpEaN museums.

Read the comment you quoted one more time, slowly this time.

Peace!

4 Likes

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by MufasaLion: 3:34am On Aug 24, 2021
TAO12:
No.

The stolen crown is a silver European style crown. It went missing sometimes this year or so.

The image attached is only a sample of what Ade-Nla typically looks like in the Yoruba kingdoms.

And the Itsekiris’ Ade-Nla (if missing) must have gone missing in the 1800s or early 1900s. Search EUrOpEaN museums.

Peace!

You subtly kind of act savage in your response. I asked the question because I wanted to know what I didn't know.

I'm a neutral person and please I don't wanna be caught in whatever squabble.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by MufasaLion: 3:34am On Aug 24, 2021
TAO12:
No.

Peace!

You subtly kind of act savage in your response. I asked the question because I wanted to know what I didn't know.

I'm a neutral person and please, I don't wanna be caught in whatever squabble.

Anyways, thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Tzar(m): 5:39am On Aug 24, 2021
I am sure you are more miserable. Anyway, I choose to educate you a bit, so if you are not too miserable & lazy, please read the below link. Bini monarchs came from Yoruba monarchy, while Itsekiri monarchs came from Bini monarchy. This accounts for the strong similarities found in their language, culture & traditions.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Itsekiri

https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/food-travel/itsekiri-people-kingdom-history-and-culture-of-the-iwere/2bwtylt.amp

Born2Breed:

Says a miserable ignoramus
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Born2Breed(f): 6:12am On Aug 24, 2021
Tzar:
I am sure you are more miserable. Anyway, I choose to educate you a bit, so if you are not too miserable & lazy, please read the below link. Bini monarchs came from Yoruba monarchy, while Itsekiri monarchs came from Bini monarchy. This accounts for the strong similarities found in their language, culture & traditions.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Itsekiri

https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/food-travel/itsekiri-people-kingdom-history-and-culture-of-the-iwere/2bwtylt.amp

You need more schooling with your copy and paste nonsense.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Tzar(m): 6:20am On Aug 24, 2021
I know your type.
Born2Breed:

You need more schooling with your copy and paste nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by TAO12: 8:25am On Aug 24, 2021
MufasaLion:

I'm a neutral person and please I don't wanna be caught in whatever squabble.

MufasaLion:

I'm a neutral person and please, I don't wanna be caught in whatever squabble.

Anyways, thanks for the enlightenment.

Apologies.

Warm Regards!

4 Likes

Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by MufasaLion: 2:12pm On Aug 24, 2021
TAO12:

Apologies.

Warm Regards!

You're welcome, bro.
Re: Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri by Jolo1983: 7:39am On Aug 26, 2021
More than ten yrs we have been challenging you people to show us the lease paper all to no avail.

How can u imagine a king of urhobo as u claim give land to another king to build a palace in a place he call his own yet at that time he had no palace of his own?

For instance the king of ondo will give land to the oba of Benin in his land to build a palace when for long they have Been rivary. Pls look for who to decieve
KingWarri:

Yet their palace is on rentage to an Urhobo Monarch.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Christians Are Not Terrorists, But Commit Wicked Crimes – Sultan / Sexy Igbo Names / Emir Aminu Bayero's Daughter, Rukayyah Weds Emir Umar Usman's Son (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.