Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (78527 Views)

Bola Tinubu And Other Pro-Democracy Activists In Exile In 1995 (Picture) / Remi Tinubu: How I Became A Born-Again Christian While In Exile In USA / Deposed Emir Sanusi On Exile In Loko, Nasarawa Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by ruggedtimi(m): 9:48pm On Aug 23, 2021
Fun fact : King jaja was the first to use the pidgin English slang " Dash me" ( Give something).

3 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by ruggedtimi(m): 9:52pm On Aug 23, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
Jaja was an Arochukwu man who ruled Opobo & Bonny (modern day PH & Bayelsa).

I believe this settles those foolish Afonjas saying Igbos want to steal ND. Niger Delta belongs to Igbos just like Lagos!
jaja never ruled bonny

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by ruggedtimi(m): 9:53pm On Aug 23, 2021
techwaya:
The Igbo man who owns opobo and bonny..
jaja never owned bonny...he relocated to form opobo.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by ruggedtimi(m): 9:58pm On Aug 23, 2021
AVECDEO:

He tried to resist the imperial/colonial high handedness and the pilfering natives resources to enrich and develop European industries at the start of the industrial age.

He had nonopoly/controlled of the Palm Oil market which the colonialist detested particularly the Royal Nigerian Company a British chartered company.

He was said to be one of the richest African of that Era and an astute businessman which the imperialist found baffling.

He was also one of the earliest African who saw through the heart of the wicked white man...so he resisted them and they didn't like "him".

He was indeed a great man.

I don't know why history is not thought in Nigerian school.

How do we discover ourself when we don't know where we are coming from...
he exported palm oil directly to Liverpool cutting of the British middle men...he is known in Barbados and celebrated in Barbados. King jaja of Opobo is a very important figure in Nigeria history.

26 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Nobody: 10:56pm On Aug 23, 2021
The exile house was far better than his country home. But a man outside his father's home is like a grasshopper without it's wings.

2 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Eastlink(m): 12:02am On Aug 24, 2021
christistruth01:

Both belonged to the Ijaw till today

Jaja was a former Igbo Slave of the Anna Pepple Ijaw house who rose to become the King of Opobo
Anna Pepple is still Igbo house. Pepple himself is Igbo. Pepple was given the name by the English sailors because he traded in Pepper. Jugbo-Jugbo is Jaja’s Bonny name with Ndoki origin. It's was given to him at Ndoki before he was taken to Bonny.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Eastlink(m): 12:07am On Aug 24, 2021
BKayy:

Anna People House was never Ijaw.
Liars.
Everything about Jaja was Igbo. Both the buyer and the seller.
The seller was from Oguta and the buyer Anna Pepple was also Igbo.
Read towards the end of the report from the British slave trader Captain Hugh Crow of Liverpool that witnessed everything.

I quote "The King of the new Calabar, in the neighbourhood, and PEPPLE, King of Bonny, were both Eboe"
You’re right. New Calabar is Kalabari which was led by Amakiri (Amachree) another King with Igbo origin. Pepple, the King of Bonny got his name from Pepper. Pepper in a British journal I read online explained his Igbo origin as well as that of his People to a Journalist.

The aim of this evidence to to burst the lies that Pepple went by the fraudulent Ijaw name Perekule. Bonny indigenes were the first Nigerians to live as citizens in England. King Pepple was even brought up in England and was given princely respect by the whites.

See link below.
https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=9E_zDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=king+pepple+from+pepper&source=bl&ots=fGTkP8XETD&sig=ACfU3U3KYZCi8LewH_2n4RAw0jGOPy_3Xw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiTm7emosjyAhXxA2MBHVIxCf0Q6AF6BAg1EAI#v=onepage&q&f=true

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IkwereIgbo: 12:41am On Aug 24, 2021
christistruth01:

[s]Both belonged to the Ijaw till today

Jaja was a former Igbo Slave of the Anna Pepple Ijaw house who rose to become the King of Opobo
[/s]

Ijaw our ass, they are even minority here, the fact is the Opobo is pure Igbo town.

9 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IkwereIgbo: 12:41am On Aug 24, 2021
epondudu:

How ?

Because a king is a king.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IkwereIgbo: 12:44am On Aug 24, 2021
OfoIgbo:

He owned only Opobo. His Igbo descendants still own it. And in fact the Supreme court scuttled the Ijaw effort to criminally take over Opobo from the Jajas

Ndoki Igbos own Ubani, which is why the name of the town has an Igbo meaning only. It doesn't have any Ijaw meaning both Ubani and Ibani/Ebani

Bless you, educate the illiterate Yorubas and Hausas here, I won't talk about the Fulanis because those animals are not Nigerians.

13 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by owagbeba: 6:16am On Aug 24, 2021
SportsHD:
Wow. Why was he exiled in the first place?

Modified- screw the white power.
Just like how america and Britain abandoned Afghanistan after they've justified spending "war budget" and obviously, made x10 profits from their initial "investment" in afghan.

Just like how the Royal niger company destabilized the giant of Africa after sucking it dry and,and still sucking it. They also brought two politicians who hate eachother (lord lugard and lord I've forgotten his name) to rule over the south and northern protectorate of Nigeria. It was all about politics and what they stand to gain in the name of the queen. This also goes to our kinsmen that we're backstabbers, sellouts, ffuck them in their graves.
Everyone just keeps taking and taking from Africa. Down to all our military rulers, yakubu Gowon and the cement armada, 47$million dollars in gains, that's in the 70's. That's one of the numerous white whale projects. Down to the civilian rule. The shit hole keeps getting shiitier. I've successfully derailed the thread so, welcome to Alcatraz!

Our problem now is not the British colonialist; it’s these blood-sucking politicians who are so adamant in making us all suffer for their gluttony.

Look at Abia state. The present ruler is inept. The two previous ones were so competent in looting all meant for the poor citizens. You see them at every high-profile birthday/wedding bash, grinning in comfort.

6 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by ikllbrokehoes(m): 7:10am On Aug 24, 2021
Interesting piece
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Racoon(m): 7:13am On Aug 24, 2021
Whao! So Jaja of Opobo have such a chequered histroy? I doff my hat for him.

4 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by MrJonny(m): 10:19am On Aug 24, 2021
Damn!

SportsHD:

Just like how america and Britain abandoned Afghanistan after they've justified spending "war budget" and obviously, made x10 profits from their initial "investment" in afghan.

Just like how the Royal niger company destabilized the giant of Africa after sucking it dry and,and still sucking it. They also brought two politicians who hate eachother (lord lugard and lord I've forgotten his name) to rule over the south and northern protectorate of Nigeria. It was all about politics and what they stand to gain in the name of the queen. This also goes to our kinsmen that we're backstabbers, sellouts, ffuck them in their graves.
Everyone just keeps taking and taking from Africa. Down to all our military rulers, yakubu Gowon and the cement armada, 47$million dollars in gains, that's in the 70's. That's one of the numerous white whale projects. Down to the civilian rule. The shit hole keeps getting shiitier. I've successfully derailed the thread so, welcome to Alcatraz!

2 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by thaoriginator: 10:20am On Aug 24, 2021
shocked

a hero dat! And me no mean a cold bakkle of beer bloodclaat cry

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Adrian98(m): 10:23am On Aug 24, 2021
Most Nigerian students do not know about people like this but they know the date of birth and death of Abraham Lincoln.
History is not taught in Nigeria. Even when it is the right knowledge is not passed

5 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by whytepawn1(m): 10:23am On Aug 24, 2021
SportsHD:

I like your write up...

2 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by bakar007: 10:24am On Aug 24, 2021
techwaya:
Very funny you mean a slave whom ijaws made a ruler.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Nyamve1: 10:25am On Aug 24, 2021
I can teach u have to send fake alert, and make money. Mention if u need it
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by iamtardey: 10:25am On Aug 24, 2021
Who is jaja and where is opobo?
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by dared0637: 10:28am On Aug 24, 2021
Jaja, the Igbo man that gave the minority Ijaw savages their only known piece of historical significance, and what we get in return from the sewage rats who are immigrants from Ghana is nothing short of ingratitude.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by mrksquare: 10:28am On Aug 24, 2021
techwaya:

He doesn't own Bonny. On the contrary he was a dedicated slave to the king of Bonny who later rose to prominence.

Secondly, he wasn't the only one that left Bonny to form present day Opobo. He was only lucky to have been made the first king. Today, his lineage through the supreme court have commandered the kingship to themselves which ought not to be so.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by almarthins(m): 10:28am On Aug 24, 2021
AVECDEO:

He tried to resist the imperial/colonial high handedness and the pilfering natives resources to enrich and develop European industries at the start of the industrial age.

He had nonopoly/controlled of the Palm Oil market which the colonialist detested particularly the Royal Nigerian Company a British chartered company.

He was said to be one of the richest African of that Era and an astute businessman which the imperialist found baffling.

He was also one of the earliest African who saw through the heart of the wicked white man...so he resisted them and they didn't like "him".

They stopped teaching history so that they can continue the policy of wickedness. Most of our leaders have sold out their land and people.

5 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by almarthins(m): 10:28am On Aug 24, 2021
AVECDEO:

They stopped teaching history so that they can continue the policy of wickedness. Most of our leaders have sold out their land and people. embarassed

6 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by lomprico(m): 10:30am On Aug 24, 2021
christistruth01:

Both belonged to the Ijaw till today

true but the ijaws there dont know how to speak their language, they speak igbo instead.

2 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by WantsandMore: 10:32am On Aug 24, 2021
The irony, In Nigeria today an Igbo man cannot become a counselor in a Hausa/Kanuri dominated Geography, note, I did not use the north for reasons, but how the whitemen left their comfort zone , travelled thousand of miles to Africa & started expelling people from their ancestral homes just doesn’t make sense Bruv...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by realstars: 10:32am On Aug 24, 2021
The Kings Way.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Patrioticman007(m): 10:34am On Aug 24, 2021
SportsHD:

This is heavy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by airsaylongcome: 10:34am On Aug 24, 2021
SportsHD:

That cement armada made a Cypriot, Nicholas Shakolas; a billionaire. Living large in Nicosia as a very old man

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Teerach: 10:35am On Aug 24, 2021
Igbo people always claiming everybody while everyone else denies them. If you ask the Bonny and Opobo people, they'll tell you another thing.
Y'all should be contented with your 5 states in peace without having to cause a scene online na.
Always famzing with people that careless about your assumed history.

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

South Africans React To Zuma's Statue In Imo / Adamu Garba: 'To Those Celebrating The Death Of Attahiru, I Have A News For You' / Appeal Court Upholds Oshiomhole's Suspension - Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.