Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (78546 Views)

Bola Tinubu And Other Pro-Democracy Activists In Exile In 1995 (Picture) / Remi Tinubu: How I Became A Born-Again Christian While In Exile In USA / Deposed Emir Sanusi On Exile In Loko, Nasarawa Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 24, 2021
Liebermantic:

That's the effect of a war loss by the Igbos..If IGBO had won the war, would that King say he was related to Ijaw when the ancient unbiased History points to If I descent?
I want Nigeria to divide along Ethnic lines so Ijaw and Igbo will settle the ownership issue of Bonny and Opobo either ICC or through violence
An Igbo man in Onitsha can't tell people of Opobo where they belong. I've been to Opobo and Bonny, they don't see themselves as Igbos. Nah only ontop Nairaland I dey always see this kin argument grin

Do you know of Gen. Minimah? He was an ex COAS and he is from Opobo, I've never seen him claiming to be an Igbo man.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:27pm On Aug 24, 2021
capnies:

THE GREATEST ERROR IS TO CLAIM TO KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. AM NOT ONLY FROM OPOBO AM FROM ANNIE PEPPLES HOUSE

You can start by telling us the origin of Pepple.

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by AfricanColumbus: 3:29pm On Aug 24, 2021
Idiko1:

There were actually nothing about Ijaw in Ubani or Opu-Obu (Opobo).

Please what does Opu-Obu mean?
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 3:31pm On Aug 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
An Igbo man in Onitsha can't tell people of Opobo where they belong. I've been to Opobo and Bonny, they don't see themselves as Igbos. Nah only ontop Nairaland I dey always see this kin argument grin

Do you know of Gen. Minimah? He was an ex COAS and he is from Opobo, I've never seen him claiming to be an Igbo man.

What language does the Opobo and Bonny people speak ? I think at this stage the language of the people is an important factor to work with than what you say they see themselves as.

6 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 3:34pm On Aug 24, 2021
SlayerForever:

You can start by telling us the origin of Pepple.

The anthropologists that studied the region in the 18th century informed their king and the whole populace are Igbo. What other facts do you want.

5 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Nobody: 3:34pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

What language does the Opobo and Bonny people speak ? I think at this stage the language of the people is an important factor to work with than what you say they see themselves as.
Mr Man, you have not right to decide where a group of people belong to. There are ijaws in Ondo state that speaks Yoruba and dress like Yoruba, does that make them Yoruba?

Sowore is an Ijaw from Ondo state.

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:34pm On Aug 24, 2021
Ychick:
Please listen to the Amayanabo of Opobo talk about his kingdom and if they are Ijaws or not. So of course, nobody is denying the Ibo admixture, but in Ijaw society they are ijaws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCPKHyhdYD8

What is the main point of the talk
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 3:35pm On Aug 24, 2021
SlayerForever:
[s][/s]

Lies lies lies.
Leave all these tales by moonlight, the picture below is the King Pepple's palace in Grand Bonny, unless you know more the indigenes because you quoted an unnamed book

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 3:35pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo , our resident intellectual , you haven't answered my question.

Cc.nengibo
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:35pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

The anthropologists that studied the region in the 18th century informed their king and the whole populace are Igbo. What other facts do you want.

The goon said he is from Pepple house. I want him to tell us the Ijaw origin of "Pepple".

3 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:37pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo:

Leave all these tales by moonlight, the picture below is the King Pepple's palace in Grand Bonny, unless you know more the indigenes because you quoted an unnamed book

Hahahaha. Like Rumu this and rumu that abi? Like Aminadokiari abi?

C'mon gerrarahere.

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 3:39pm On Aug 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
Mr Man, you have not right to decide where a group of people belong to. There are ijaws in Ondo state that speaks Yoruba and dress like Yoruba, does that make them Yoruba?

Sowore is an Ijaw from Ondo state.

So , you are saying they learned it not that they are of Igbo ancestry ? If so , when was this language lost and why are people who lived in these city states in precolonial times of Igbo origin ? I just want to understand where these confusion are coming from.

4 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 3:39pm On Aug 24, 2021
jimyjames:

Have you ever heard that an OSU became a king over Freeborns in igbo land?
90% of Igbos bear Osu or a form of it, I don't need to hear anything bros, just simple google search and you see them
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/01/after-15-years-anambra-community-gets-traditional-ruler/amp/
Eze Emesinwa Nwosu VII, seven generations of OSU's with thr name to prove it grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:40pm On Aug 24, 2021
[s]
mrksquare:

The language of the Opobo people is Ibani. That's not to say that they don't speak Igbo.

I'm from the Ijaw speaking part of Ogoloma in Rivers state . And in my community, owing to the penchant of our men in time past in getting married to Igbo women, over time we lost our dialect in preference for Igbo. Does that make us Igbo people?

King Jaja was not the sole founder of Opobo kingdom. He migrated alongside with other people. He was only elected to head over them as king because he was wealthy. And mind you, the language of the Opobo and Bonny people is Ibani. The fact that some Opobo people speak Igbo doesn't mean it is their dialect.
[/s]

Lies. Language doesn't change that easy. If you speak Igbo widely, you are either Igbo or Igbo descended. We're not fools here. The Bonny/Opobo people are Igbo. With some Ijaw people there, especially in Bonny. Finish.

3 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 3:41pm On Aug 24, 2021
SlayerForever:

Hahahaha. Like Rumu this and rumu that abi? Like Aminadokiari abi?

C'mon gerrarahere.
So what you are saying in essence is before the King sold pepper, he didn't have a name before the British gave the nickname
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:42pm On Aug 24, 2021
bizzibodi:

Are igbos d original inhabitants there or they are settlers via slavetrading?

They were not just the original settlers. Igbo founded the place. Through Ndoki Igbos of Abia and Rivers. Incidentally the Ijaw over time came around the area since it's a coastal place. From there they started claiming it till this day cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

So , you are saying they learned it not that they are of Igbo ancestry ? If so , when was this language lost and why are people who lived in these city states in precolonial times of Igbo origin ? I just want to understand where these confusion are coming from.
I don't know anything about thier history. But just because they speak Igbo does not make them igbo. There are ijaws in Ondo state, they language is Yoruba. They borrowed the language from the ikales or ilajes. I'm not so sure sha.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 3:43pm On Aug 24, 2021
SlayerForever:
[s][/s]

Lies. Language doesn't change that easy. If you speak Igbo widely, you are either Igbo or Igbo descended. We're not fools here. The Bonny/Opobo people are Igbo. With some Ijaw people there, especially in Bonny. Finish.
That's your own argument, maybe one day they will consult you to speak for Ibani people as the Ibani people that have told you countlessly that they're Ijaw don't know their origin, namanafini tongue

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 3:44pm On Aug 24, 2021
SlayerForever:

The goon said he is from Pepple house. I want him to tell us the Ijaw origin of "Pepple".

I have noticed that people here on Nairaland love to take shots at the Igbo and sometimes I see no reason for it. However , I am more interested in finding the truth that's why I dont join the bandwagon. Meanwhile , so far , I am beginning to see the true consequences of the Biafran war. Failure is a lonely motherfuckker!

9 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:44pm On Aug 24, 2021
OfoIgbo:

So you must be one of the tenants there. A supreme court ruling has already declared that the Jajas own Opobo.

It may surprise you to know that I have 2 personal friends from Opobo. My info can be piercing to landgrabbers.

Jajas are the supremos in Opobo. If you don't like it, you can always relocate to Brass.

No joy.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:45pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

I have noticed that people here on Nairaland love to take shots at the Igbo and sometimes I see no reason for it. However , I am more interested in finding the truth that's why I dont join the bandwagon. Meanwhile , so far , I am beginning to see the true consequences of the Biafran war. Failure is a lonely motherfuckker!

Kpom. But we will recover all. Isee.

2 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:46pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo:

So what you are saying in essence is before the King sold pepper, he didn't have a name before the British gave the nickname

What was the name? cheesy
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:46pm On Aug 24, 2021
[s]
nengibo:

That's your own argument, maybe one day they will consult you to speak for Ibani people as the Ibani people that have told you countlessly that they're Ijaw don't know their origin, namanafini tongue
[/s]
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 3:48pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:
nengibo , our resident intellectual , you haven't answered my question.

Cc.nengibo
I and other indegens have spoken tirelessly, what's your business with Ibani people, are you looking for your Father's or mothers house there?

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 3:49pm On Aug 24, 2021
SlayerForever:

What was the name? cheesy
Chukwujulum Onyeigbo wink
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 3:50pm On Aug 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
I don't know anything about thier history. But just because they speak Igbo does not make them igbo. There are ijaws in Ondo state, they language is Yoruba. They borrowed the language from the ikales or ilajes. I'm not so sure sha.

While it may not be the only factor , language is a strong pointer to the origin of a people because languages are not easily lost. It was language that we used to silence Onicha's Bini ancestry claims because there was no traces of a lost language.

If the people if Opobo and Bonny make claims of losing their Ijaw language to Igbo then they are shooting themselves in the foot .... 1. Because there are patterns of language developments and extinction , 2. It means they were outnumbered which would them Igbo etc.

3 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:51pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo:

Chukwujulum Onyeigbo wink

Lwkmd grin grin grin

Ijaw people ehn. Lol.

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 3:52pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

While it may not be the only factor , languishing a strong pointer to the origin of a people because languages are not easily lost. It was language that we used to silence Onicha's Bini ancestry claims because there was no traces of a lost language.

If the people if Opobo and Bonny make claims of losing their Ijaw language to Igbo then they are shooting themselves in the foot .... 1. Because there are patterns of language developments and extinction , 2. It means they were outnumbered which would them Igbo etc.
Yet you speak English despite outnumbering the British by over 100 million, Thank God Ibani egere is still living.

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 3:53pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo:

I and other indegens have spoken tirelessly, what's your business with Ibani people, are you looking for your Father's or mothers house there?

Calm down , nigga! We are here to learn and the worst thing you can do to yourself in a learning environment is to become emotional ,sentimental and dishonest because you will lose.

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Frenzy01(m): 3:55pm On Aug 24, 2021
The legendary Jaja of Opobo... Would definitely loved to have met him in real life if I had the chance

Contact me for your swift buying and selling of any Dog breed. Pet care and boarding services also available
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 3:56pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo:

Yet you speak English despite outnumbering the British by over 100 million, Thank God Ibani egere is still living.

Brother , this is not a sound reasoning. You are becoming emotional hence your inability to reason properly. The Igbo speak their native language , primarily , with English as language of instructions and academic. This your example is very poor and unrelated.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 3:56pm On Aug 24, 2021
BKayy:

His name is George Oruigbiji.
He was brought up in England and was given the nickname King Pepper because of his trade in pepper which was sweetened to Pepple by the locals.
Your 51 years of lies have come to an end

You shouldn't have told him the name! I swear he didn't know!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

South Africans React To Zuma's Statue In Imo / Appeal Court Upholds Oshiomhole's Suspension - Daily Trust / Adamu Garba: 'To Those Celebrating The Death Of Attahiru, I Have A News For You'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.