Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (78542 Views)

Bola Tinubu And Other Pro-Democracy Activists In Exile In 1995 (Picture) / Remi Tinubu: How I Became A Born-Again Christian While In Exile In USA / Deposed Emir Sanusi On Exile In Loko, Nasarawa Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 24, 2021
techwaya:
Jaja ,The Igbo man who owns opobo and bonny..

Who says Igboland is landlocked? we have direct access to sea,offshore oil drilling,world class navy feels so good.. cheesy grin

Eyyya always looking to claim relevance on others’ stories. Dot nation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by AfricanColumbus: 4:00pm On Aug 24, 2021
Eastlink:
They successfully achieved that decades of lies because the Igbos after the war became afraid to challenge the revisions due to fear of not to being seen in the bad books of the northern led federal government. Remember the Igbos just came out of the civil war and had to remain civil in order to be accepted fully.

However, we owe it to our generation to keep using facts and historical evidence to burst these lies of Ijo ownership of Bonny and Opobo. Igbos founded and owned these communities. However, the coming of the Ijo migrants who were first brought in by the Portuguese and later Dutch sailors change a lot. Bonny, Opobo, Kalabari and Okrika which were Igbo lands embraced Ijo culture. While the language of Kalabari changed to Ijo, Okrika was altered to a great degree. But Bonny and Opobo with roots from Ndoki kept her language and origin, and embraced Ijo culture which was the dominant culture in the Niger-Delta creeks as at then.

What is the Ijaw culture of Bonny?
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by mrksquare: 4:01pm On Aug 24, 2021
SlayerForever:
[s][/s]

Lies. Language doesn't change that easy. If you speak Igbo widely, you are either Igbo or Igbo descended. We're not fools here. The Bonny/Opobo people are Igbo. With some Ijaw people there, especially in Bonny. Finish.

Where I come from we have almost lost our dialect to that of Igbo.

And this sad reality is owing to the consistent penchant of our men in seeking for their bride in Igbo land. The high cost of bridal fee that is associated with our culture hasn't helped issue either. We hardly marry within. That's why I am an advocator for endogamy system of marriage as a way of preserving our dialect.

There is what is called in sociology Cultural diffusion. When two cultures comes together it leads to what is called cultural dilution.

Why do you think far right Europian moment are adverse to strangers from Muslim country. You are aware of the New Zealand massacre that transpired close to a mosque.

When two cultures meet at a certain point, it has a way of diffusing the inherent culture in place. Even the singular fact of trading with the outside world comes with it's attendant challenges. You think my kalabari brothers bears English surname on their making.

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 4:03pm On Aug 24, 2021
Liebermantic:

That's the effect of a war loss by the Igbos..If IGBO had won the war, would that King say he was related to Ijaw when the ancient unbiased History points to If I descent?
I want Nigeria to divide along Ethnic lines so Ijaw and Igbo will settle the ownership issue of Bonny and Opobo either ICC or through violence

The last line made me smile wideeeeee. Because we win on either count grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by endy69: 4:06pm On Aug 24, 2021
[quote author=Papparassi post=105100320] King Jugbo Jugbo (Jaja) of Ibani kingdom of Opobo lived while in exile in Kingstown, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines between 1888 and 1891. The plaque by the side of the gate of the house confirms it.
Just google about him before you ague

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by SlayerForever: 4:06pm On Aug 24, 2021
mrksquare:

And this sad reality is owing to the consistent penchant of our men in seeking for their bride in Igbo land. The high cost of bridal fee that is associated with our culture hasn't helped issue either. We hardly marry within. That's why I am an advocator for endogamy system of marriage as a way of preserving our dialect.

There is what is called in sociology Cultural diffusion. When two cultures comes together it leads to what is called cultural dilution.

Why do you think far right Europian moment are adverse to strangers from Muslim country. You are aware of the New Zealand massacre that transpired close to a mosque.

When two cultures meet at a certain point, it has a way of diffusing the inherent culture in place. Even the singular fact of trading with the outside world comes with it's attendant challenges. You think my kalabari brothers bears English surname on their making.

I've told you before that if you're speaking Igbo natively, you are either Igbo or Igbo descended. Igbo can't displace your language. Another instance would be proximity. But that would make the people bilingual. Languages don't go so easy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by mrksquare: 4:12pm On Aug 24, 2021
SlayerForever:

I've told you before that if you're speaking Igbo natively, you are either Igbo or Igbo descended. Igbo can't displace your language. Another instance would be proximity. But that would make the people bilingual. Languages don't go so easy cheesy

https://m.guardian.ng/news/nigerian-languages-going-into-extinction-nico/
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 4:19pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

Brother , this is not a sound reasoning. You are becoming emotional hence your inability to reason properly. The Igbo speak their native language , primarily , with English as language of instructions and academic. This your example is very poor and unrelated.
On the contrary brother, you made a claim, that the only reason someone will use a foreign language is when they were outnumbered by the foreign group, therefore the indigenous group belonged to the foreign group all along. By your own logic which I was following Nigerians were British all along because many Nigerians speak English as their first and only language
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by jimyjames(m): 4:20pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo:
90% of Igbos bear Osu or a form of it, I don't need to hear anything bros, just simple google search and you see them
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/01/after-15-years-anambra-community-gets-traditional-ruler/amp/
Eze Emesinwa Nwosu VII, seven generations of OSU's with thr name to prove it grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
90% of igbos bear OSU? Lol grin

An OSU rules of a generation of OSU it's not new, I still ask have you ever heard an OSU is a king over Freeborns?

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Tywo2018: 4:21pm On Aug 24, 2021
What a a history. I'll need to confirm from my Granadians friends
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 4:23pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

Calm down , nigga! We are here to learn and the worst thing you can do to yourself in a learning environment is to become emotional ,sentimental and dishonest because you will lose.
If you were here to learn you will not claim to know more than the aborigines/ custodians of the said culture.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 4:26pm On Aug 24, 2021
jimyjames:

90% of igbos bear OSU? Lol grin

[b]An OSU rules of a generation of OSU[/b]it's not new, I still ask have you ever heard an OSU is a king over Freeborns?
So you're are saying the entirety of Igbos leaders and followers are Osu? Are you sure you're actually Igbo cause if so you insulted yourself
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 4:29pm On Aug 24, 2021
mrksquare:

Bros , this your explanation did not make a danm sense , please. There is no way marrying women who speak a different language into your culture will completely change the language of your people because these women would still be in the minority. Unless over 70% of your men decides to marry Igbo women which would be strange , lie and unbelievable. And stop using bride price as an excuse.

6 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by mrksquare: 4:32pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

Bros , this your explanation did not make a danm sense , please. There is no way marrying women who speak a different language into your culture will completely change the language of your people because these women would still be in the minority. Unless over 70% of your men decides to marry Igbo women which would be strange , lie and unbelievable. And stop using bride price as an excuse.

I know you will doubt it. But I dare you to take a trip to my community so we can do on the spot investigation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by stanisbaratheon: 4:33pm On Aug 24, 2021
Ychick:
Please if you don’t understand the culture of the Ijaw city states of the eastern delta. It is important you ask.
Under the acculturation system of the ijaw city states of the eastern delta. There are 2 ways to become a citizen.
1. By birth
2. By adoption where a head money is paid. (siwi igbi). The literal meaning of Jaja’s full name Jugbo Jugbo fem is somebody bought somebody else. So of course he is of Igbo descent and he was bought by Anna people and became his child by adoption. In ijaw society nobody is a slave, he was raised as a child with full rights of the Anna people house that allows him to even replace his father as chief.

Now on the issue of Amachree, I am a direct descendant of Amachree (8th great great grand father), and King Abbi (5th great grand father) any of my brothers can become Amayanabo of Kalabari (New Calabar) if they contest and win. Amachree’s mother was a Kalabari woman from the original Kalagbea ward. But his father was a freshwater Ijaw man from the central delta. He is not of Igbo origin, although he bought a lot of ibo people from the interior to expand the Kalabari population, and reinforced the idea that all Kalabari people are his people. There is a saying that King Amachree o e da fe a or inyingi fem- meaning if he did not buy your father, he bought your mother. Now on Bonny, they migrated from the central delta- fresh water ijaw land, and stayed for a while in ndokki, where the group split into 2, and some went to Bonny which the new indigenes called Okoloba. In Bonny, with the rise of the palm oil trade and the large number of slaves from the ibo interior. Bonny made a different decision than the kalabari’s by making ibani ijaw a secret language for the elites, so that their numerous slaves will not overthrow them. So ibo became the trade language. This decision means that someone like Jaja who was the foster child of a big chief spoke fluent ibani because he was an elite, and I have read diaries of the British consul trying to settle the fight between opobo and bonny chiefs, with Kalabari and Okrika chiefs as mediators for both groups. All the chiefs from the 4 kingdoms were speaking ijaw because the eastern jaw dialect of kalabari, Okrika, bonny and opobo are mutually intelligible. Now, in new calabar all new adoptees, we don't call them slaves, had to learn the kalabari language, and in fact your ability to speak kalabari determined how fast you could integrate into your new society, that is why in kalabari land. Ibo never gained a foothold like in bonny and the subsequent state of opobo did. So of course we too had lots of people from the ibo interior acculturated into our societies. But, you are an ijaw person, not a slave and you are accorded full rights of a full citizen. So the whole calling Jaja a slave is a joke gone too far. He was the pampered and privileged child of a wealthy chief.

Imiebam

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 4:35pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo:

On the contrary brother, you made a claim, that the only reason someone will use a foreign language is when they were outnumbered by the foreign group, therefore the indigenous group belonged to the foreign group all along. By your own logic which I was following Nigerians were British all along because many Nigerians speak English as their first and only language

Again , Igbo did not lose their language to England , they only added it to list of spoken language due to colonialism. So , let me ask you this question again....why does Opobo and Bonny speak Igbo language ? Where is their native tongue if you argued one existed ?

4 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by jimyjames(m): 4:35pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo:

So you're are saying the entirety of Igbos leaders and followers are Osu? Are you sure you're actually Igbo cause if so you insulted yourself
Hahaha who are igbo leaders and followers? What do understand by OSU? Answer these questions so we can proceed, I want to enlighten you on this word OSU
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Oluelite(m): 4:35pm On Aug 24, 2021
the Europeans designated Opobo as British territory. When Jaja refused to cease taxing the British traders, Henry Hamilton Johnston, a British vice consul, invited Jaja for negotiations in 1887. Jaja was arrested on arrival aboard a British vessel; he was tried in Accra in the Gold Coast (now Ghana) then exiled him to London and then Saint Vincent in the West Indies.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 4:37pm On Aug 24, 2021
mrksquare:

I know you will doubt it. But I dare you to take a trip to my community so we can do on the spot investigation.

I don't believe you because it's impossible....so , who then will marry your own women if 70% of your men are marrying Igbo women. That would draw outrage in your land.

5 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 4:40pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo:
90% of Igbos bear Osu or a form of it, I don't need to hear anything bros, just simple google search and you see them
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/01/after-15-years-anambra-community-gets-traditional-ruler/amp/
Eze Emesinwa Nwosu VII, seven generations of OSU's with thr name to prove it grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

First of all , osu caste is primarily practiced in Anambra and some Imo towns. And like I said before....the name Nwosu and osu are unrelated. Thanks

6 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 4:43pm On Aug 24, 2021
The name Nwosu and Osu caste system are completely unrelated. I come from a town in Anambra that practiced osu....in fact , the forest that contains the shrine belong to my kindred. The practice has since been abolished and the land was given to them as reparations. So , stick to what you know, ok.

Cc. nengibo

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by mrksquare: 4:50pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

I don't believe you because it's impossible....so , who then will marry your own women if 70% of your men are marrying Igbo women. That would draw outrage in your land.

Outsiders. I'm not conjecturizing this story so as to achieve any end. That's our reality. And that's why I personally have been advocating for endogamic system of marriage. Our men just like Igbo ladies. Maybe that because they are very loyal and are wont to toil with their men till they make it. Secondly, I heard that the moment an Igbo woman gets married in my community, she would bring her relative and another man will in turn get married to them. And the cycle continues.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 5:20pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

Again , Igbo did not lose their language to England , they only added it to list of spoken language due to colonialism. So , let me ask you this question again....why does Opobo and Bonny speak Igbo language ? Where is their native tongue if you argued one existed ?

You must have notice that the Towns, Titles and Naming are in a language foreign to Igbo , names like Jubojubo(Anglicized to Jaja), Opubo(Opobo),Minima, Ogolo, Fubarakuro,Patesi, Daminabo, Asiparabietogha(Anglicized to Cyprian) , Titles like Amanyanabo, Senibo, Alabo, Amaopuorubo etc , this language like its people is called Ibani egere and is still spoken till today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2M_KnhUXxw

https://www.facebook.com/Ibigonialagbariya/videos/767126173380101/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBNxu9SSUpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJOzDKQ6A_o

https://www.ethnologue.com/language/iby

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 5:24pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

First of all , osu caste is primarily practiced in Anambra and some Imo towns. And like I said before....the name Nwosu and osu are unrelated. Thanks
Nwa OSU or Nwosu is a slave decedant , no need to whitewash anything because of modernization or Christianity, your ancestors took people for other places and made them slaves it happened across Igbo land and Nigeria just that it wasn't as documented.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by jimyjames(m): 5:27pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo:

I'm still waiting for your reply, who are the entire igbo leaders and who are their followers, what do you understand by OSU?
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by BiafraInc: 5:30pm On Aug 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
An Igbo man in Onitsha can't tell people of Opobo where they belong. I've been to Opobo and Bonny, they don't see themselves as Igbos. Nah only ontop Nairaland I dey always see this kin argument grin

Do you know of Gen. Minimah? He was an ex COAS and he is from Opobo, I've never seen him claiming to be an Igbo man.
Your so-called General Minimah is part of the Ijo migrants into Opobo. Same as we have some elements of Bini migrants into Anioma. What again is the spoken language in Opobo?
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by IDENNAA(m): 5:35pm On Aug 24, 2021
nengibo:

Nwa OSU or Nwosu is a slave decedant , no need to whitewash anything because of modernization or Christianity, your ancestors took people for other places and made them slaves it happened across Igbo land and Nigeria just that it wasn't as documented.

Ok , if we are going to have a smooth discussion let's not speak about things we don't know about. I have kindred men who bear Nwosu....now , do you know more than my 80yrs old father ? Abeg , let's move on and not deviate. You sound like you aren't here for civil discussion.

2 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by BiafraInc: 5:45pm On Aug 24, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
Mr Man, you have not right to decide where a group of people belong to. There are ijaws in Ondo state that speaks Yoruba and dress like Yoruba, does that make them Yoruba?

Sowore is an Ijaw from Ondo state.
LIAR!! Ijaws in Ondo have their spoken language which they use in their everyday life. They speak Yoruba only because there are Yoruba people in their proximity. How would you explain Igbo language being the only spoken language in Opobo and Bonny. No comparison to Ijaws of Ondo who speaks their own Ijaw dialect during their everyday activities.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 5:46pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

Ok , if we are going to have a smooth discussion let's not speak about things we don't know about. I have kindred men who bear Nwosu....now , do you know more than my 80yrs old father ? Abeg , let's move on and not deviate. You sound like you aren't here for civil discussion.
You discuss another Man's culture and identity but yours is sacrosanct, tell me you don't find that funny grin
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by WhatCanIsay(m): 5:47pm On Aug 24, 2021
IDENNAA:

The person you are tutoring is someone that doesn't know and more importantly he doesn't know that he doesn't know, but he thinks he knows. Teaching him is a task which you can't make any head of.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by BENEAMATA: 5:47pm On Aug 24, 2021
The sons of jackals a.k.a the brits abducted him after he obliged their request for a peace meeting and the honourable fella trusted them . Wrong move . Too late , swiftly whisked to and " tried " by british men in present day Ghana , hurriedly exiled to london and then eventually st. Vincent . All because the monarch won't allow the world's number one tax lords and imperialist unhindered access to trade with the mainlands without paying . . . . . TAX ! And the king paid his tax and levies in exporting his palm oil to Liverpool . And many in Africa still rever these thieves .
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by jubrilELsudan: 5:53pm On Aug 24, 2021
I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS A BABY HOW HE USED TO THROW ME FROM THE UPSTAIRS BALCONY FOR MY DAD TO CATCH ME DOWNSTAIRS.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

South Africans React To Zuma's Statue In Imo / Appeal Court Upholds Oshiomhole's Suspension - Daily Trust / Adamu Garba: 'To Those Celebrating The Death Of Attahiru, I Have A News For You'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.