Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,117 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent (78549 Views)

Bola Tinubu And Other Pro-Democracy Activists In Exile In 1995 (Picture) / Remi Tinubu: How I Became A Born-Again Christian While In Exile In USA / Deposed Emir Sanusi On Exile In Loko, Nasarawa Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Raxxye(m): 10:35am On Aug 24, 2021
SportsHD:
Wow. Why was he exiled in the first place?

Modified- screw the white power.
Just like how america and Britain abandoned Afghanistan after they've justified spending "war budget" and obviously, made x10 profits from their initial "investment" in afghan.

Just like how the Royal niger company destabilized the giant of Africa after sucking it dry and,and still sucking it. They also brought two politicians who hate eachother (lord lugard and lord I've forgotten his name) to rule over the south and northern protectorate of Nigeria. It was all about politics and what they stand to gain in the name of the queen. This also goes to our kinsmen that we're backstabbers, sellouts, ffuck them in their graves.
Everyone just keeps taking and taking from Africa. Down to all our military rulers, yakubu Gowon and the cement armada, 47$million dollars in gains, that's in the 70's. That's one of the numerous white whale projects. Down to the civilian rule. The shit hole keeps getting shiitier. I've successfully derailed the thread so, welcome to Alcatraz!
Bros, u high and you dey vex!
Abeg give me a little of what what u take make I sniff. Remember there's love in sharing and u cannot come and die alone! grin

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by realstars: 10:39am On Aug 24, 2021
ruggedtimi:
he exported palm oil directly to Liverpool cutting of the British middle men...he is known in Barbados and celebrated in Barbados. King jaja of Opobo is a very important figure in Nigeria history.
I Still Dont Know Why Apc Are Anti History?
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by lanocfoods: 10:41am On Aug 24, 2021
I find these stories very interesting, I know of Jaja but not indepth. FYI history has been reintroduced
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Ychick: 10:45am On Aug 24, 2021
Please if you don’t understand the culture of the Ijaw city states of the eastern delta. It is important you ask.
Under the acculturation system of the ijaw city states of the eastern delta. There are 2 ways to become a citizen.
1. By birth
2. By adoption where a head money is paid. (siwi igbi). The literal meaning of Jaja’s full name Jugbo Jugbo fem is somebody bought somebody else. So of course he is of Igbo descent and he was bought by Anna people and became his child by adoption. In ijaw society nobody is a slave, he was raised as a child with full rights of the Anna people house that allows him to even replace his father as chief.

Now on the issue of Amachree, I am a direct descendant of Amachree (8th great great grand father), and King Abbi (5th great grand father) any of my brothers can become Amayanabo of Kalabari (New Calabar) if they contest and win. Amachree’s mother was a Kalabari woman from the original Kalagbea ward. But his father was a freshwater Ijaw man from the central delta. He is not of Igbo origin, although he bought a lot of ibo people from the interior to expand the Kalabari population, and reinforced the idea that all Kalabari people are his people. There is a saying that King Amachree o e da fe a or inyingi fem- meaning if he did not buy your father, he bought your mother. Now on Bonny, they migrated from the central delta- fresh water ijaw land, and stayed for a while in ndokki, where the group split into 2, and some went to Bonny which the new indigenes called Okoloba. In Bonny, with the rise of the palm oil trade and the large number of slaves from the ibo interior. Bonny made a different decision than the kalabari’s by making ibani ijaw a secret language for the elites, so that their numerous slaves will not overthrow them. So ibo became the trade language. This decision means that someone like Jaja who was the foster child of a big chief spoke fluent ibani because he was an elite, and I have read diaries of the British consul trying to settle the fight between opobo and bonny chiefs, with Kalabari and Okrika chiefs as mediators for both groups. All the chiefs from the 4 kingdoms were speaking ijaw because the eastern jaw dialect of kalabari, Okrika, bonny and opobo are mutually intelligible. Now, in new calabar all new adoptees, we don't call them slaves, had to learn the kalabari language, and in fact your ability to speak kalabari determined how fast you could integrate into your new society, that is why in kalabari land. Ibo never gained a foothold like in bonny and the subsequent state of opobo did. So of course we too had lots of people from the ibo interior acculturated into our societies. But, you are an ijaw person, not a slave and you are accorded full rights of a full citizen. So the whole calling Jaja a slave is a joke gone too far. He was the pampered and privileged child of a wealthy chief.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Nik77: 10:46am On Aug 24, 2021
epondudu:

How ?

King Jaja of Opobo was an Igbo man and a slave who became so successful that he was able to buy his freedom and rise to become the king of Opobo

2 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by rhames(m): 10:51am On Aug 24, 2021
Papparassi:
King Jugbo Jugbo (Jaja) of Ibani kingdom of Opobo lived while in exile in Kingstown, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines between 1888 and 1891. The plaque by the side of the gate of the house confirms it.

Where on ewrth is Saint Vincent
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Mztarshollay: 10:51am On Aug 24, 2021
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by igahdavid(m): 10:52am On Aug 24, 2021
Papparassi:
King Jugbo Jugbo (Jaja) of Ibani kingdom of Opobo lived while in exile in Kingstown, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines between 1888 and 1891. The plaque by the side of the gate of the house confirms it.

The Plague is wrong.
It should be in
"What is now Nigeria" not Ghana.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by jamace(m): 10:52am On Aug 24, 2021
From whitemen slavery to our own brothers- politiciuans- slavery.
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by rhames(m): 10:55am On Aug 24, 2021
Ychick:
Please if you don’t understand the culture of the Ijaw city states of the eastern delta. It is important you ask.
Under the acculturation system of the ijaw city states of the eastern delta. There are 2 ways to become a citizen.
1. By birth
2. By adoption where a head money is paid. (siwi igbi). The literal meaning of Jaja’s full name Jugbo Jugbo fem is somebody bought somebody else. So of course he is of Igbo descent and he was bought by Anna people and became his child by adoption. In ijaw society nobody is a slave, he was raised as a child with full rights of the Anna people house that allows him to even replace his father as chief.

Now on the issue of Amachree, I am a direct descendant of Amachree (8th great great grand father), and King Abbi (5th great grand father) any of my brothers can become Amayanabo of Kalabari (New Calabar) if they contest and win. Amachree’s mother was a Kalabari woman from the original Kalagbea ward. But his father was a freshwater Ijaw man from the central delta. He is not of Igbo origin, although he bought a lot of ibo people from the interior to expand the Kalabari population, and reinforced the idea that all Kalabari people are his people. There is a saying that King Amachree o e da fe a or inyingi fem- meaning if he did not buy your father, he bought your mother. Now on Bonny, they migrated from the central delta- fresh water ijaw land, and stayed for a while in ndokki, where the group split into 2, and some went to Bonny which the new indigenes called Okoloba. In Bonny, with the rise of the palm oil trade and the large number of slaves from the ibo interior. Bonny made a different decision than the kalabari’s by making ibani ijaw a secret language for the elites, so that their numerous slaves will not overthrow them. So ibo became the trade language. This decision means that someone like Jaja who was the foster child of a big chief spoke fluent ibani because he was an elite, and I have read diaries of the British consul trying to settle the fight between opobo and bonny chiefs, with Kalabari and Okrika chiefs as mediators for both groups. All the chiefs from the 4 kingdoms were speaking ijaw because the eastern jaw dialect of kalabari, Okrika, bonny and opobo are mutually intelligible. Now, in new calabar all new adoptees, we don't call them slaves, had to learn the kalabari language, and in fact your ability to speak kalabari determined how fast you could integrate into your new society, that is why in kalabari land. Ibo never gained a foothold like in bonny and the subsequent state of opobo did. So of course we too had lots of people from the ibo interior acculturated into our societies. But, you are an ijaw person, not a slave and you are accorded full rights of a full citizen. So the whole calling Jaja a slave is a joke gone too far. He was the pampered and privileged child of a wealthy chief.

Nice to have you on Nairaland. I hope you will be able to put this together as a history textbook in Future

3 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 24, 2021
SportsHD:

Just like how america and Britain abandoned Afghanistan after they've justified spending "war budget" and obviously, made x10 profits from their initial "investment" in afghan.

Just like how the Royal niger company destabilized the giant of Africa after sucking it dry and,and still sucking it. They also brought two politicians who hate eachother (lord lugard and lord I've forgotten his name) to rule over the south and northern protectorate of Nigeria. It was all about politics and what they stand to gain in the name of the queen. This also goes to our kinsmen that we're backstabbers, sellouts, ffuck them in their graves.
Everyone just keeps taking and taking from Africa. Down to all our military rulers, yakubu Gowon and the cement armada, 47$million dollars in gains, that's in the 70's. That's one of the numerous white whale projects. Down to the civilian rule. The shit hole keeps getting shiitier. I've successfully derailed the thread so, welcome to Alcatraz!
You bleeped the thread and made my fucking day!
I wonder if we blacks are fucking cursed

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nokspos: 11:00am On Aug 24, 2021
na wa o, i was never expecting to see igbo or yoruba in this trend
techwaya:
The Igbo man who owns opobo and bonny..
Who says Igboland is landlocked? we have direct access to sea,offshore oil drilling,world class navy feels so good.. cheesy grin

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by slowice(m): 11:02am On Aug 24, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
Jaja was an Igbo man who ruled Opobo & Bonny (modern day PH & Bayelsa).

I believe this settles those foolish Afonjas saying Igbos want to steal ND. Niger Delta belongs to Igbos just like Lagos!

Oversabi, opobo and bonny isn't modern day pH and bayelsa, they are different parts of rivers

5 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by DoggoneDogg: 11:04am On Aug 24, 2021
slowice:

Oversabi, opobo and bonny isn't modern day pH and bayelsa, they are different parts of rivers

Lagos belongs to Igbos
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by tj2018: 11:07am On Aug 24, 2021
jimyjames:

So masters became subjects of their slave? grin lol nonsense

First, Opobo was derived from Opubo (Jaja's Master who was the perekule and Natural ruler of Ibani (Bonny)
Hence Opubo-Ama was called Opobo by the europeans.

In Ibani Kingdoms we have a culture that allows even free slaves to grow unlike the igbo culture where they practice Osu.
Opobo was formed by the supporters of Anna Pepple group of house and their allies after the lot the bonny civil war to the rival manilla pepple group.

They moved eastward and established Opubo which was named after their master in bonny.

Jaja is now used as a group name. It is just one section of the 14 sections in Opobo. others are Cookey, kalamuso, fubara, ogbulu,Kieprima, tolofari, Dappa, Biriye, iruoanya etc. The truth is that there is a signicant number of igbo settlers in Opobo, even the ibibios and ogonis are not left out.
But every other person have been encultured in iguana, the ibani deity. The also become ijaws by enculturation. Yes, in most writeups Jaja is often recognized as the owner of the town but in reality he was just a leader of the break away group from bonny.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Lamasta(m): 11:08am On Aug 24, 2021
King Jaja of Opobo will never forget about him right from my primary school days....

3 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by tj2018: 11:10am On Aug 24, 2021
jimyjames:

So masters became subjects of their slave? grin lol nonsense

First, Opobo was derived from Opubo (Jaja's Master who was the perekule and Natural ruler of Ibani (Bonny)

In Ibani Kingdoms we have a culture that allows even free slaves to grow unlike the igbo culture where they practice Osu.
Opobo was formed by the supporters of Anna Pepple group of house and their allies after the lost the bonny civil war to the rival manilla pepple group.

They moved eastward and established Opubo which was named after their master in bonny.

Jaja is now used as a group name. It is just one section of the 14 sections in Opobo. others are Cookey, kalamuso, fubara, ogbulu,Kieprima, tolofari, Dappa, Biriye, iruoanya etc. The truth is that there is a signicant number of igbo settlers in Opobo, even the ibibios and ogonis are not left out. the retained the ibani-ijaw heritage and culture. that is why we dont have Eze but Amanyanagbo, Nze but Wari senibo and Amaopu senibo.
But every other person have been encultured in iguana, the ibani deity. The also become ijaws by enculturation. Yes, in most writeups Jaja is often recognized as the owner of the town but in reality he was just a leader of the break away group from bonny.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by bigcee(m): 11:13am On Aug 24, 2021
Teerach:
Igbo people always claiming everybody while everyone else denies them. If you ask the Bonny and Opobo people, they'll tell you another thing.
Y'all should be contented with your 5 states in peace without having to cause a scene online na.
Always famzing with people that careless about your assumed history.

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Kemistri4(m): 11:15am On Aug 24, 2021
Teerach:
Igbo people always claiming everybody while everyone else denies them. If you ask the Bonny and Opobo people, they'll tell you another thing.
Y'all should be contented with your 5 states in peace without having to cause a scene online na.
Always famzing with people that careless about your assumed history.

How does this relate to the topic? No one said Opobo people are igbos.

Jaja and the ruling house of Opobo has igbo ancestry. Jaja was Amaigbo (literally meaning Igbo square (or centre)). That is FACT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by RodgersAkpafu: 11:15am On Aug 24, 2021
SportsHD:

I feel your pain

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 11:18am On Aug 24, 2021
jimyjames:

The ijaw and Rone omokeri version of king Jaja's story? grin
The name Jaja (Jubo jubo) is it your language
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 11:22am On Aug 24, 2021
Eastlink:
Anna Pepple is still Igbo house. Pepple himself is Igbo. Pepple was given the name by the English sailors because he traded in Pepper. Jugbo-Jugbo is Jaja’s Bonny name with Ndoki origin. It's was given to him at Ndoki before he was taken to Bonny.
Jubojubo is Ibani unless you mean Ndoki speak Ibani, Pepple is the anglicized form of Perekule

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 11:23am On Aug 24, 2021
tj2018:

Opobo was formed by the supporters of Anna Pepple group of house and their allies after the lost the bonny civil war to the rival manilla pepple group.

Jaja is now used as a group name. It is just one section of the 14 sections in Opobo. others are Cookey, kalamuso, fubara, ogbulu,Kieprima, tolofari, Dappa, Biriye, iruoanya etc. The truth is that there is a signicant number of igbo settlers in Opobo, even the ibibios and ogonis are not left out. the retained the ibani-ijaw heritage and culture. that is why we dont have Eze but Amanyanagbo, Nze but Wari senibo and Amaopu senibo.
Furotuwo, A i sim

1 Like

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Idiko1: 11:23am On Aug 24, 2021
christistruth01:

Both belonged to the Ijaw till today

Jaja was a former Igbo Slave of the Anna Pepple Ijaw house who rose to become the King of Opobo

There is absolutely nothing Ijaw in the bolded. What was his Ijaw name?
Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by nengibo: 11:27am On Aug 24, 2021
tj2018:

Opobo was formed by the supporters of Anna Pepple group of house and their allies after the lot the bonny civil war to the rival manilla pepple group.

Jaja is now used as a group name. It is just one section of the 14 sections in Opobo. others are Cookey, kalamuso, fubara, ogbulu,Kieprima, tolofari, Dappa, Biriye, iruoanya etc. The truth is that there is a signicant number of igbo settlers in Opobo, even the ibibios and ogonis are not left out.
No need to go into deep explanation like these, you owe no one any explanation for the Ibani identity, Igbo as a group is an acculturation of various smaller groups like Ibibio, Igala etc, the only uniting factor is the language, stop wearing pig gold, these ipob people don't relate with logic, the whole claim is just the hope of access to sea

5 Likes

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Plut01: 11:27am On Aug 24, 2021
Ychick:
1. By birth

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by Plut01: 11:28am On Aug 24, 2021
tj2018:

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by bizzibodi(m): 11:30am On Aug 24, 2021
Ychick:
1. By birth

Your own story make more meaning..I have wondered how a slave can become a king in an African society unless they are adopted as a family member.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent by capnies: 11:31am On Aug 24, 2021
OfoIgbo:

He owned only Opobo. His Igbo descendants still own it. And in fact the Supreme court scuttled the Ijaw effort to criminally take over Opobo from the Jajas

Ndoki Igbos own Ubani, which is why the name of the town has an Igbo meaning only. It doesn't have any Ijaw meaning both Ubani and Ibani/Ebani

THE GREATEST ERROR IS TO CLAIM TO KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. AM NOT ONLY FROM OPOBO AM FROM ANNIE PEPPLES HOUSE

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Adamu Garba: 'To Those Celebrating The Death Of Attahiru, I Have A News For You' / The 3 Daughters Femi Olukayode Disowned (Photos) / Donald Trump Condemns Killings Of Nigerian Christians in Meeting with Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.