Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,726 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (496) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1181886 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IamE: 4:11pm On Jun 30, 2022
are you in doubt?

I have experienced this first hand at Abuja IOM.
no cap
jumpshot:

please book Ikeja IOM online and send proof. I will send you 100k
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by derbylicious: 4:28pm On Jun 30, 2022
Can someone please clarify if a UK resident non-EU spouse of an EU citizen must apply for visa to visit Spain.
Prior to brexit, I travelled with my residence card. Can I exercise right of movement to enter Spain (with documents like a marriage certificate in addition to my passport) or apply for the visa?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jumpshot: 4:41pm On Jun 30, 2022
IamE:
are you in doubt?

I have experienced this first hand at Abuja IOM.
no cap

Abuja is easy boss. Na Ikeja we dey talk
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jumpshot: 4:45pm On Jun 30, 2022
DrObum:

Send your details, passport number and email for the booking.

Send the money to a board man (someone reliable, preferably from this thread), nominate your favourite charity that would receive it when I do the booking. The charity would receive twice the amount if I don't get a booking.

Cheers

Why would I send you my info? If you have a better way to get appointments why not say it here instead of posturing? We love to criticize, rather than proffer solutions.

I don't know why you think I enjoyed spending that money because it's paining me till tomorrow. I searched high and low and the consensus was for me to pay or delay my process.

Again, if you have better info kindly drop here

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 4:54pm On Jun 30, 2022
Pls how can i send stuff to Nigeria from Glasgow?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 5:00pm On Jun 30, 2022
Hello.
Thanks to all who signed up with my link.
The referral is still ongoing...
Get a credit card with American Express. Win Avios that will reduce your ticket fare on BA

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/cHINWN7Jmu?XL=MNANS
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DrObum(m): 5:03pm On Jun 30, 2022
jumpshot:

Why would I send you my info? If you have a better way to get appointments why not say it here instead of posturing? We love to criticize, rather than proffer solutions.

I don't know why you think I enjoyed spending that money because it's painting me till tomorrow. I searched high and low and the consensus was for me to pay or delay my process.

Again, if you have better info kindly drop here
You'll need to send details because their appointment requires passport details, demographic information and email address that they'll mail the appointment to.

If you probably did the right thing, you'll know these.

Even when sending IOM mails to help get an appointment, you'll send these details before they answer you. If not, they'll ignore the mails.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by evalovely: 5:59pm On Jun 30, 2022
evalovely:
Please how can I contact Nigeria Home office or check passport issuing status ?
I did biometric for renewal since May and I have not received the passport. I have tried calling the number on their homepage and no one ever picked

Hello guys,

Can anyone help with the above please?

I paid for the passport to be posted to my address .
Can I show up at the home office for collection? I read on their website that entry to the office is only by appointment.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 6:07pm On Jun 30, 2022
jumpshot:

When we did my friend's own a month AGO there was no need for all of this. If you don't know how low this situation has deteriorated just say so.
My point is you should not complain that you paid bribe because I can bet that you didn't pay that bribe to an official account. So your complain is invalid. Just say you gave someone money to help you because you couldn't undergo the stress yourself.

A valid complain should be that IOM should open more centers to accommodate the everly increasing number of travellers from Nigeria or grant license to other health facilities like CDC, NIMR to carry out the procedure for them. People will support this argument better.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mamatwiny(f): 6:11pm On Jun 30, 2022
jumpshot:

Anyway, that you are in the UK right now leads me to believe things turned around for you a bit. I hope so. If I may ask though, is it pertinent for the kids to be in the UK with you? I would think it would be way easier for them to be in Nigeria until you're done with schooling?

Yes. I am looking towards that option. Companies are already calling me for interviews for professional jobs but I cannot attend because even if I pass, I cannot work cos of childcare issues. I heard Canada and USA are much more better with this. There just has to be light at the end of the tunnel.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mamatwiny(f): 6:38pm On Jun 30, 2022
erico2k2:

Yes I did and the answer is simple tax will not be collected from your 1st ever salary until you earn above your taxcode,unles ur taxcode is BR then its 20% Your tax code dictates how much tax you are charged. your tax code is the amount you must earn above for tax to be collected simply put.
tax code
[tax code]
NOUN
a code number representing the tax-free part of an employee's income, assigned by tax authorities for use by employers in calculating the tax to be deducted under the PAYE system.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+is+a+tax+code&form=ANNTH1&refig=13657e4828c24fe591dfecb927f1967f
https://www.gov.uk/tax-codes
I hope these helps

This is not so. Everyone that is working in UK from the beginning of tax year April is taxed as soon as they enter , but if they come after the tax year has started, they may be tax free till the next tax year. After the tax year, you are refunded all if you earned below 12530, but all earnings above that threshold is taxed 20%.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 6:53pm On Jun 30, 2022
Please has anyone done biometrics at Nigerian house in London for passport renewal, I need the correct link to apply

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by progress160: 7:05pm On Jun 30, 2022
senny:
I don’t think it is a good idea to send your documents to company B. Most especially if you have appended your signature on any document with company A. But if you have not gotten your signature on any document with Company A, then go ahead with company B as well. Anyone that comes out first. Best of luck

If you don’t mind you can share these companies websites make we sef apply wink grin

Thanks for the input
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 7:12pm On Jun 30, 2022
Romoller:
Lol, one of your boy came to Yikpata camp with white towel that has nest hotel on it.

Glad you said one, he might have been gifted you know cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by progress160: 7:14pm On Jun 30, 2022
progress160:
Hello, guys, i have been a silent follower of this thread.

i applied for jobs for the healthcare Visa and got two offers. company A has started processing my COS for about 4 weeks now. they mailed me some days ago that they want to reapply again to see if it will come faster(about a week ago). company B just got their license after several months and mailed me that they want to start processing my COS. will it be okay to give my details to Company B to go ahead with the COS processing since company A has already started but its taking time. will there be any issue with the move?

please its urgent as Company B is waiting for me to send my documents

Please I need more input on this guys
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 7:15pm On Jun 30, 2022
semmyk:
Thanks goodness some of us are LAUTECH men smiley: 1st set at that when it was OSUTECH, part of the process becoming LAUTECH. Watched the Abiola lecture hall foundation and completed, and graduated from it.
PS: I can't agree more with HondaLover; though I'm not a fan of Honda

See them Lautech Ancestors ó, àwọn àgbàlagbà.
The set that walked through the think bush now called underG.
I hail sir.

I assume you're a Toyota lover bá? : grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chudycharles: 7:45pm On Jun 30, 2022
giselle237:

wwww.gov.uk is the Bible for travel into the UK amongst other policies.
If you have gone on there you will see irrespective of vaccination status, all can come into the UK with no further requests.. no PLF , no vaccination cards and no tests are required for inward travel to the UK.
What else do you want to hear as I feel the govt’s website is clear enough.
If u decide to transit via Istanbul or Qatar through to the UK, the same applies.
I know I said this before to you. at least govt’s website should serve the purpose at the end of the day. If you decide against travel advisory on www.gov.uk please by all means do pcr test for day 2,8 and 10 and book 14 day quarantine

Or perhaps you are a 1st time traveller, if you know the rules you stick by it. Do not allow immigration to intimidate you

Thanks brotherly.... Appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:46pm On Jun 30, 2022
Emmyk:

From the day you sign up onwards.

Choi

Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 7:51pm On Jun 30, 2022
semmyk:
Thanks goodness some of us are LAUTECH men smiley: 1st set at that when it was OSUTECH, part of the process becoming LAUTECH. Watched the Abiola lecture hall foundation and completed, and graduated from it.
PS: I can't agree more with HondaLover; though I'm not a fan of Honda

Wow! Great to meet an ancestor from Lautech
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DisGuy: 8:16pm On Jun 30, 2022
evalovely:

Hello guys,

Can anyone help with the above please?

Can I show up at the home office for collection? I read on their website that entry to the office is only by appointment.

Probably the only option at this rate, give it up to a month then attend with your receipt etc
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 9:03pm On Jun 30, 2022
evalovely:

something is wrong somewhere.. most passport returns are happening within 5 working days. At most 7-10. Are you sure you gave the right person the envelope? Something is definitely wrong somewhere
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by evalovely: 9:26pm On Jun 30, 2022
giselle237:
something is wrong somewhere.. most passport returns are happening within 5 working days. At most 7-10. Are you sure you gave the right person the envelope? Something is definitely wrong somewhere

Oh, and now I am worried
What can I do now ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 9:50pm On Jun 30, 2022
babajeje123:

Wow! Great to meet an ancestor from Lautech
Like Baba Ancestor
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 11:19pm On Jun 30, 2022
mamatwiny:

This is not so. Everyone that is working in UK from the beginning of tax year April is taxed as soon as they enter , but if they come after the tax year has started, they may be tax free till the next tax year. After the tax year, you are refunded all if you earned below 12530, but all earnings above that threshold is taxed 20%.
Who on earth in employment gets taxed at 20% if not on BR??You have not said anything diff from the word NO TAX. or TAX FREE
Your tax rate might be different from others so there is no one yard stick to measure what ones take home is relative to next door.
Your tax depends on your Age Marital status, wages, these are used to derive your tax code and 20%.
20% are for those with no tax code or those who failed to submit their P45 to new employer
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bluetherapy: 12:14am On Jul 01, 2022
progress160:

Please I need more input on this guys
What other input do you need?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adunnishugar(f): 12:51am On Jul 01, 2022
Join Monese and get up to £30 once you start spending! I just got my first £20 pounds after activating my card. Opening an account is also very easy.
Just enter my invite code when you sign up: OLAMI293

Download the app here: https://www.mone.se/7vQs/95qw8o67

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bemagnify: 3:21am On Jul 01, 2022
Abeg which energy supplier company is the cheapest in the Uk ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:10am On Jul 01, 2022
bemagnify:

None ........... No cheap energy deals........ Have you been hibernating under a rock . ....... wink

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 7:02am On Jul 01, 2022
erico2k2:

Who on earth in employment gets taxed at 20% if not on BR??You have not said anything diff from the word NO TAX. or TAX FREE
Your tax rate might be different from others so there is no one yard stick to measure what ones take home is relative to next door.
Your tax depends on your Age Marital status, wages, these are used to derive your tax code and 20%.
20% are for those with no tax code or those who failed to submit their P45 to new employer

Everybody gets taxed. That is why UK residents are notorious for not parting with money.
If you are earning £20k per annum, £12570 (if it has not changed) is tax free, the remaining £7k+ is taxed at 20%. If you are earning £51k, £12,570 is tax free, £12,571 to £50,001 (not too sure on the exact amount) is 20%, 50,001 to 51k is 40%.
Tax rate is different based on income bracket.
Go to HMRC website to check it

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 7:04am On Jul 01, 2022
mayo47:
A friend has been having issue with an overzealous tenant who act like she owns the house because she's oldest tenant with about 6 years. An issue happened over the weekend which required police intervention. Please see attached screenshot.

The issue now is that my friend plan to send the agency a message that he wouldnt be going ahead with an outstanding January half rent payment he earlier agreed to if they don't reply to the email he sent. The agency has a bit of not replying to tenant emails on housing issues.
The January rent is outstanding because he refused to pay them when the house boiler went bad & his bathroom was leaking for about 2 weeks in December. I think the agency later negotiated for half rent instead of no rent payment.

Is it the same Sinyee Cheung of Genesiscity - a set of Chinese rogues who think they can recreate the none sense they have going on China?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:42am On Jul 01, 2022
jadepinkett:

Everybody gets taxed. That is why UK residents are notorious for not parting with money.
If you are earning £20k per annum, £12570 (if it has not changed) is tax free, the remaining £7k+ is taxed at 20%. If you are earning £51k, £12,570 is tax free, £12,571 to £50,001 (not too sure on the exact amount) is 20%, 50,001 to 51k is 40%.
Tax rate is different based on income bracket.
Go to HMRC website to check it

What does this alleged parsimony on the part of UK residents have to do with tax?
Everyone in developed countries pays tax, the other western European countries generally pay more as a percentage of their incomes.

There was a time when the UK's economy was quite bad, in the late 70s and early 80s, before and after Thatcher started her reforms, and I think that that perception of stingy UK people came from the many Nigerians in the UK who moved here then who played upon that enduring myth of "things are bad in the UK" to plead poverty to relations. In the 80s interest rates were quite high, almost at Nigerian levels, for instance, and there was always the proverbial aunt pleading "I'm still paying my mortgage" and all that.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:43am On Jul 01, 2022
bemagnify:

NEPA, probably.
Don't waste your time, all switching deals are now almost the exact same price.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.