Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (499) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169047 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 9:03am On Jul 02, 2022
DrObum:

For visa purposes, yes.
Nope, there should be a second center in V.I, a private travel clinic set up, but it is usually just as busy as IOM.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:15am On Jul 02, 2022
ukay2:

Be like say na you de advise them ni oo grin

Let's give them some credit, at least for efforts, thinking and consideration............

Like it or not, that property listed now at £150K, by 20 years from now, might be worth £250K....

During light hearted conversations with some of my patients, believe it or not, some of them bought their properties for £2,500 only........ You don't want to think of it's current value.......... cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by showietee: 9:23am On Jul 02, 2022
Hkana:
Hello everyone.
Does anyone know how life is in Dunfermline? I got a job there and I'm planning on relocation

Fi amanah Llaah
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 9:35am On Jul 02, 2022
Please who stays in north yorkshire here. Help a brother out. Just need a place to stay for 5days till i get my own place.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 10:02am On Jul 02, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Let's give them some credit, at least for efforts, thinking and consideration............

Like it or not, that property listed now at £150K, by 20 years from now, might be worth £250K....

During light hearted conversations with some of my patients, believe it or not, some of them bought their properties for £2,500 only........ You don't want to think of it's current value.......... cheesy

Why I like long-term.....always
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 11:45am On Jul 02, 2022
Hello Seniors and Mates,

Pls. allow me to officially welcome myself here. Although I've been following this thread for over 4 years, my family and I just moved to the UK circa 2 months ago. Na Canada we dey chase before but we don find ourselves for Merseyside grin.

A very big thanks to everyone who has been contributing their wealth of knowledge by providing guidance, advice, encouragement and assistance to others, may God bless you all.

Pls, I need guidance on few stuffs.

Wifey landed first being the student while myself and our kid joined her after 3 weeks. She stayed with a stranger turned close friend during this period before we could secure the 2br flat we're occupying now. It was difficult getting an affordable accommodation because of price per pcm, guarantor ish and the request for 6 - 12 months rent by house agents. However, we were lucky or favoured by God to have secured our apartment without request for guarantor or even 2 months rents, we only paid 1 month rent and deposit of same amount (£775). The rent is pricey because the flat is furnished and is very close to the city center. Also, we're responsible for paying utility bills.

After inspecting the house, we paid deposit to the landlord's corporate account and he thereafter sent us a draft tenancy agreement for 6 months. We reviewed and emailed him that we are okay to proceed to execute the agreement. But up till now, he hasn't signed the agreement and sent same to us to sign too. I've sent him several emails which he never responded to, even whatsapp chats. Rent was due and I mailed him again but he didn't respond as usual. I went ahead to send another 1 month rent to his corporate account and sent him payment receipt via WhatsApp but he didn't respond either. In addition, I understand that our deposit ought to have been registered/secured with an agency but he hasn't done this too.

Furthermore, our house is somewhat close to a riverside and the environment is always windy and very cold. My kid sleeps in our room because his room is always very cold every minute of the day and we can't afford to use 2 heaters overnight in order to cut cost on energy bill. grin.

In order to cut cost on rent and in view of the very cold environment (when it's not even winter yet) we intend to move out so my questions are:

Since the 6 months tenancy agreement is yet to be signed by both parties, can we move out after our 3rd month in the flat?

For the fact that the landlord isn't responsive to calls, emails and chats, and our deposit isn't secured, I foresee an issue regarding getting our deposit refund. So can we use our deposit as payment for the last (3rd) month rent?

If perhaps, we must stay for 6 months and even pay the 6th month rent, what can we do if the landlord fails to refund our deposit?

On the other hand, anyone here working as a paraplanner or financial planner here in the UK or Relationship/Account Manager from back home? I need guidance pls. as per job/career matters.

Apologies for the long epistle.

Oga Lexus, Oga Hr, Mamatukwas, Madam Ticha, Oga Justwise, omopapa, et all, I salute una o!

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by orlabot(m): 11:54am On Jul 02, 2022
erico2k2:

Your quickest route is to delve into Health care. or if you are handy get into construction and gather money
Thanks for the response.
Pls, hw can I get dis jobs. Isthe any job recruitment site u can recommend?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hkana: 12:07pm On Jul 02, 2022
Thank you Rayralph, Ralphlauren. You've kind of put my mind at ease.

Showietee wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 12:27pm On Jul 02, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

What does this alleged parsimony on the part of UK residents have to do with tax?
Everyone in developed countries pays tax, the other western European countries generally pay more as a percentage of their incomes.

There was a time when the UK's economy was quite bad, in the late 70s and early 80s, before and after Thatcher started her reforms, and I think that that perception of stingy UK people came from the many Nigerians in the UK who moved here then who played upon that enduring myth of "things are bad in the UK" to plead poverty to relations. In the 80s interest rates were quite high, almost at Nigerian levels, for instance, and there was always the proverbial aunt pleading "I'm still paying my mortgage" and all that.

Ah! No vex. It was not meant personally nau. The statement only came from the various memes of folks visiting friends in UK. (You know when you say; "dude I'm coming to London ooo", and your friend replies; "Oh, alright, enjoy your trip". Unlike when you visit naija, it's always, make we see nau).
But really, is it easy to spend money like that in UK? After working long hours to at least have a saving? I no blame anybody wey dey reason twice before parting with their money jor...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 12:31pm On Jul 02, 2022
erico2k2:

Another Ignorant post or rather you cant read, have you ever seen anyone taxed 20% who is not in BR?? have you
One one hand you are saying everyone get taxed on another hand you said those who earn £12570 gets tax free was this not the discussion we have that some people might be tax free the whole year, ie those who do less hours ie global hours and their gross is £12k.
And this 20% tax where are you getting it from? I tried to xplain in my last post I hope she got it that every individual are taxed in different brackets according to their tax code however you fail to explore that route. Have you lived nd worked in the UK b4
on the note we pay more tax, i can confidently tell you people in Nigeria PAY MORE TAX THAN US IN THE UK, if you think otherwise, i challenge you to name two type of taxes we pay in the UK

You know you can respond to a statement without being insulting or aggressive?
Neways, I'm not going to bother arguing with you. All I can tell you is that your pay bracket is showing....
When you start earning £20k and above p.a, do well to come back and let us know if your employer did not tax you on your earnings above £12,570.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 12:32pm On Jul 02, 2022
DadR:
Hello Seniors and Mates,

Pls. allow me to officially welcome myself here. Although I've been following this thread for over 4 years, my family and I just moved to the UK cir
Before the Lead Ancestor, Sir Lexus comes to answer your questions, have you tried finding out if the Landlord is still alive?

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 12:59pm On Jul 02, 2022
davide470:
Before the Lead Ancestor, Sir Lexus comes to answer your questions, have you tried finding out if the Landlord is still alive?

Exactly what came to my mind when reading this post!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 1:10pm On Jul 02, 2022
DadR:
Hello Seniors and Mates,

Pls. allow me to officially welcome myself here. Although I've been following this thread for over 4 years, my family and I just moved to the UK circa 2 months ago. Na Canada we dey chase before but we don find ourselves for Merseyside grin.

Does the WhatsApp messages show read or does not indicate? Call him with a number he does not have whether he will pick. If he does not pick, go to his house/office and discuss with him one on one. The outcome of discussion will determine next steps.

Regardless of the above, send him an email about your concerns with the deposit that you may have to report to the authorities. Please note that you must be ready to report if he does not comply else no need.

If he signs the document and give you to sign will you refuse? You might need his reference for your next accommodation. If you sign it, you will have to pay the 6 months rent even if you move out before six months.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 1:46pm On Jul 02, 2022
@DadR

Do you know his office or residencia address?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chysunshine1: 2:20pm On Jul 02, 2022
Please i will need the website to know the documents that i can present.

Thank you.

rayralph:

Get a Schengen visa and explore all Schengen countries with your BRP n naija passport
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 2:31pm On Jul 02, 2022
rowon:
Good day my people, what is the best for family of five to settle down in Glasgow precisely GCU.2 girls 10 and 12 years and a boy of 16 years , father and mother. Note we don't have anybody there and our resumption his this September. Please kindly advise on how best to go about it Thanks

Hi, I don’t have updated information about renting a house. The only reason I am writing you is cos of your teens. Please as difficult as this may sound, try to avoid renting a “four in a block flat”. The midnight sound from neighbors won’t be healthy for your kids. While it’s possible to have neighbors who are not loud during activities, I still will not risk it cos of the age of the kids.

Take care and good luck with the relocation.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 4:00pm On Jul 02, 2022
Lol, this got me laughing. I had thought about that too. The guy is kuku alive.

davide470:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 4:01pm On Jul 02, 2022
Yea, his contact address is on the draft tenancy agreement he shared with us.

justwise:
@DadR

Do you know his office or residencia address?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 4:28pm On Jul 02, 2022
Thank for your advice.

My messages delivered to him on whatsapp but it doesn't show read. I think he reads them but just ignores. I wonder what he feels like. I learnt he's a young chap (less than 30). It's a big building with many flats and I think he's the one managing it for his old man.

We were assigned a facility manager to our flat and the guy is very responsive and reliable. I just messaged him now to enquire about the well-being of my landlord. He said the guy is away on vacation, that I should let him know if I need anything so that he can relay the request to him. But in the draft agreement, it was mentioned that I can relate with the landlord directly when necessary.

If my new landlord must reach out to my current landlord for referencing purpose, I may just wait till the end of the 6 months tenancy before leaving but how to get my deposit back is the koko in case he wants to prove funny.

cc justwise davide470

Viruses:

Does the WhatsApp messages show read or does not indicate? Call him with a number he does not have whether he will pick. If he does not pick, go to his house/office and discuss with him one on one. The outcome of discussion will determine next steps.

Regardless of the above, send him an email about your concerns with the deposit that you may have to report to the authorities. Please note that you must be ready to report if he does not comply else no need.

If he signs the document and give you to sign will you refuse? You might need his reference for your next accommodation. If you sign it, you will have to pay the 6 months rent even if you move out before six months.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 4:54pm On Jul 02, 2022
DadR:
Thank for your advice.

My messages delivered to him on whatsapp but it doesn't show read. I think he reads them but just ignores. I wonder what he feels like. I learnt he's a young chap (less than 30). It's a big building with many flats and I think he's the one managing it for his old man.

We were assigned a facility manager to our flat and the guy is very responsive and reliable. I just messaged him now to enquire about the well-being of my landlord. He said the guy is away on vacation, that I should let him know if I need anything so that he can relay the request to him. But in the draft agreement, it was mentioned that I can relate with the landlord directly when necessary.

If my new landlord must reach out to my current landlord for referencing purpose, I may just wait till the end of the 6 months tenancy before leaving but how to get my deposit back is the koko in case he wants to prove funny.

cc justwise davide470

Good you confirmed what l was thinking....vacation....

I just think he went on holiday, because this is holiday season here and the landlord doesn't want disturbances. He will respond to all your mails when he comes back.

Why is the house so cold that warrants heating up at this time most people have even off their heaters. With time, you will adjust to the summer weather and reduce the energy bills

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 5:13pm On Jul 02, 2022
Lexusgs430:

It's give and take........ On the 50th year, the children/grand children, would have fully paid up......

Then the children/grand children, would enjoy and hopefully start building wealth..........

One must suffer, for others to enjoy........ cheesy

The next generation will be inheriting a worthless asset.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 5:17pm On Jul 02, 2022
EniEye:

Please how do I book flight with the airline? I tried using wakanow but it's not going tru. What can I do please?
It' been a long time since i flew with them. I rarely see them in agent site. But if u saw them on waka now and it is not going, it may be problem from waka now or change your browser to chrome.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 5:28pm On Jul 02, 2022
Thanks man. I've been mailing him before this holiday season though.

I really don't know why the flat is unnecessary cold too. A river is close to the area sha, that could be a factor.

ukay2:

Good you confirmed what l was thinking....vacation....

I just think he went on holiday, because this is holiday season here and the landlord doesn't want disturbances. He will respond to all your mails when he comes back.

Why is the house so cold that warrants heating up at this time most people have even off their heaters. With time, you will adjust to the summer weather and reduce the energy bills
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:34pm On Jul 02, 2022
DadR:
Yea, his contact address is on the draft tenancy agreement he shared with us.

Ok, be patient and wait until he comes back since the 6months is still running
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:40pm On Jul 02, 2022
donluclay:

No, I work fulltime

Getting a complete stranger to loan you money will be difficult, maybe you ask question here about how to adjust few things so as to survive financially, if you are new in the UK borrowing to survive is really not a good way to start.

Feel free to explain what exactly the issue is/are ...a lot of people here will point you to the right direction

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 5:47pm On Jul 02, 2022
Ok Boss, will do. Thanks
justwise:

Ok, be patient and wait until he comes back since the 6months is still running
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 5:58pm On Jul 02, 2022
kode12:

The next generation will be inheriting a worthless asset.

How please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DrObum(m): 6:16pm On Jul 02, 2022
mizGene:

Nope, there should be a second center in V.I, a private travel clinic set up, but it is usually just as busy as IOM.
I think that IOM sends people there when they overflow.

I'm not sure you can just walk in there and use it for UK visa purposes
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 9:11pm On Jul 02, 2022
DrObum:

I think that IOM sends people there when they overflow.

I'm not sure you can just walk in there and use it for UK visa purposes

You can book directly just like IOM. The two are the only approved centers and they are separate entities.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 9:13pm On Jul 02, 2022
jadepinkett:

You know you can respond to a statement without being insulting or aggressive?
Neways, I'm not going to bother arguing with you. All I can tell you is that your pay bracket is showing....
When you start earning £20k and above p.a, do well to come back and let us know if your employer did not tax you on your earnings above £12,570.
you are speaking to some who came to uni in the uk 2000,and a band 8 staff, my tax deduction is more than £20k a year you are here talking "£20k as salary plzz tell m,e this is a joke ,you lot got a lot to learn

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 9:19pm On Jul 02, 2022
orlabot:

Thanks for the response.
Pls, hw can I get dis jobs. Isthe any job recruitment site u can recommend?
1st question, are you allowed to work in the UK?

(1) (2) (3) ... (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.