Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,751 members, 7,813,468 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (516) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1171536 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bujebudanu1(m): 11:32pm On Jul 12, 2022
MrMash:

Is there a way to make transfer to UK bank account from Amex card or make cash withdrawals?

No. Help someone pay online and collect the pounds equivalent
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:39pm On Jul 12, 2022
missjekyll:

Abido Contains clobetasol which is a steroid. Not to slight you , lexus but this cream is bad news.
Steroids cause paper-thin skin, darkening of skin in patches, diabetes, Hypertension, weak bones, decreased immunity, frequent falls, weight gain especially face and abdomen. You may want to stay away from this.

Before you buy this, you should probably know all of this as well. It's called informed consent.

I trust you ......... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obioraval(m): 11:45pm On Jul 12, 2022
MrMash:

Is there a way to make transfer to UK bank account from Amex card or make cash withdrawals?

Yes. PayPal transfer. Then the person send to you

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 12:03am On Jul 13, 2022
MrMash:

If you can help it please don't transfer or withdraw from your credit card.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MrMash(m): 12:15am On Jul 13, 2022
Estroller:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:18am On Jul 13, 2022
Estroller:

Expensive é money ........ wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 12:20am On Jul 13, 2022
jum33:

Ok ,thanks .And what are the dos and don't rules of having this kind of credit card.

Only spend money that you already have on your credit card.
Never miss a payment. Best way to this is to set up a direct debit.
Pay off your statement balance in full if you can or the minimum statement balance at least.
Don't withdraw or transfer money from your credit card.
Spend less than your credit limit.
Amongst others.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by RalphJean: 12:50am On Jul 13, 2022
missjekyll:

Abido Contains clobetasol which is a steroid. Not to slight you , lexus but this cream is bad news.
Steroids cause paper-thin skin, darkening of skin in patches, diabetes, Hypertension, weak bones, decreased immunity, frequent falls, weight gain especially face and abdomen. You may want to stay away from this.

Before you buy this, you should probably know all of this as well. It's called informed consent.

Hello Missjekyll
You mean topical application if that cream (to treat eczema) could cause ALL those things you listed? Someone rubs Abido cream in their arms & neck and probably their face, and that can cause diabetes? Hypertension?
Scary stuff.

Thanks for the useful information. What (in my opinion) would have been useful-er would have been for you to suggest (or recommend) less dangerous substitutes- It is very clear you are very, very knowledgeable in this area.

PS:
Hello did some ‘googling’ and this is what I found:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/topical-steroids/
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by RalphJean: 12:58am On Jul 13, 2022
Pacypatty:

Exactly.
The guy don remove mind.
Thanks

I wouldn’t remove mind, especially in that dry, very dry Teeside.

I would specifically ask them to list the documents they accept as P.o.A

Tenancy agreement (probably not)
But
1. Utility bills (such as water and electricity)
2. Council Tax bills
3. Bank (or credit card) Statements (not the one downloaded online).
4. Letter from Govt agency (Such as HMRC and / or NHS GP) could be used.
Note: Ideally, these should be not more than 3 months old.

PS: Deep inside me, I feel it’s not a ‘Middlesbrough employers shakara). I strongly feel your friend did not provide the proper P.o.A docs required.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:58am On Jul 13, 2022
RalphJean:

Hello Missjekyll
You mean topical application if that cream (to treat eczema) could cause ALL those things you listed? Someone rubs Abido cream in their arms & neck and probably their face, and that can cause diabetes? Hypertension?
Scary stuff.

Thanks for the useful information. What (in my opinion) would have been useful-er would have been for you to suggest (or recommend) less dangerous substitutes- It is very clear you are very, very knowledgeable in this area.

PS:
Hello did some ‘googling’ and this is what I found:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/topical-steroids/

Everything in moderation............ I would not expect continuous use of Abido, like vaseline or cocoa butter....... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 1:05am On Jul 13, 2022
hustla:

Is Sunderland any better?
Dont know about Chester

Both has lots of opportunities.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 1:09am On Jul 13, 2022
RalphJean:

I wouldn’t remove mind, especially in that dry, very dry Teeside.

I would specifically ask them to list the documents they accept as P.o.A

Tenancy agreement (probably not)
But
1. Utility bills (such as water and electricity)
2. Council Tax bills
3. Bank (or credit card) Statements (not the one downloaded online).
4. Letter from Govt agency (Such as HMRC and / or NHS GP) could be used.
Note: Ideally, these should be not more than 3 months old.

PS: Deep inside me, I feel it’s not a ‘Middlesbrough employers shakara). I strongly feel your friend did not provide the proper P.o.A docs required.

My friend provided both bank statement and utility bills and it was rejected.
Why will he not provide the documents when he strongly needs the job?

Ask people about middlesbrough and you will understand.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 7:24am On Jul 13, 2022
Mellady:
Hi everyone, please I need upto 2500 pounds urgently, who's selling with fair rates please. Thanks
I get at 748
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jumpshot: 7:31am On Jul 13, 2022
Please if someone made a mistake with their passport number on visa application is there any other respite apart from cancelling and starting afresh? Payment has already been made. If refund is requested, how long will it take? I mean practically not what they wrote on the site.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:34am On Jul 13, 2022
Pacypatty:

Both has lots of opportunities.

Alright thanks

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 8:40am On Jul 13, 2022
Good morning.

Can someone refer me to a good ergonomic office chair, to avoid back pain. A link will be appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Optimistguy1969: 8:47am On Jul 13, 2022
fatima04:
Wow 3yrs don waka, and the important thing is filling address history no longer stressful.

Back then it seemed like 3yrs too far. Thank God for grace
Hi Fatima,
Good morning. I wish I can reach you at this moment.
I want your advise.... contemplating moving my wife and daughter to the UK soon on a work visa. But I want to know how she can cope with work and a 2 year old daughter. Are creche expensive over to there?
Pls reply
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:58am On Jul 13, 2022
Hoping for the best that all comes out well.
Couple of add-ons.
Given the big difference between post graduate diploma and post graduate certificate, although they might both be at level 7, the 'useful' option is PGDip. Zero out PGCert. The only exception is PGCE, which is not applicable in your instance. PS: PGCE and PGDE are exceptional (along with few others that qualify for PSW). See https://www.gov.uk/graduate-visa/course-you-studied

If enrolling for another MSc, ensure your wife get as much credits as possible counted from her PGDip to the MSc.
Nonetheless, you may salvage still the current situation by writing to the school and faculty, formally so, requesting formal letter of extension (just as Adazeal articulated).

As regarding 'renewal', on face value, she should get extension with a new MSc. Yet, IMHO, let her exit with PGDip (not PGCert), get 'new' MSc, apply to Home office. Still yet, #transparency is golden in visa application; though not cloudy with unnecessary details or malaise/malafide.

If Justwise will allow, you may mention the uni and we can try check out their Rule/Statute.
adedapodvirus001:
... need your advice, counsel and suggestions on the current predicament of my wife in her study.
... To cut the long story short, she has to repeat a module but the university is giving her an option to graduate with a post graduate diploma / post graduate certificate instead of rewriting the course.
I have evaluated the whole situation and weigh the options and I think the best thing for her is to enroll for another master because the school is not ready to give her visa extension because our current visa expires January and the rewrite date for the course is also January and the results will not be ready in time for us to apply for the post graduate work Visa.
... My question is that will her visa be granted if she apply for another masters from inside the UK using the postgraduate certificate/diploma.
Adazeal:
You see for you to be in this UK and thrive, you have to grow thick skin. You don't have to cower. Your wife is eligible for the student visa extension to enable her write her exam and get her result. Don't assume things, let her write to her department and faculty that she'd be retaking the module and would be needing a visa extension. Hear what they'd say first and take it up from there. I mean you paid huge amount of money for tuition, don't allow them take you for a ride even though you failed a course, that's the purpose of learning anyways ...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:09am On Jul 13, 2022
Perhaps, you might get hands-on responses from the parenting in UK thread www.nairaland.com/7021004/parenting-uk-nigerian-migrant
@mamatukwas : over to you
Optimistguy1969:

I want your advise.... contemplating moving my wife and daughter to the UK soon on a work visa. But I want to know how she can cope with work and a 2 year old daughter. Are creche expensive over to there?
Pls reply

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kilom41: 9:22am On Jul 13, 2022
adedapodvirus001:
Good afternoon my people , Thank you for all you do in this forum.

Please I need your advice, counsel and suggestions on the current predicament of my wife in her study.

She has a Degree in Chemical engineering and came in to study analytical chemistry after looking at the course module but unfortunately what was on the course module was completely opposite of what was in the course content in reality and this posed a lot of challenges for her on the course. To cut the long story short, she has to repeat a module but the university is giving her an option to graduate with a post graduate diploma/ post graduate certificate instead of rewriting the course.

I have evaluated the whole situation and weigh the options and I think the best thing for her is to enroll for another master because the school is not ready to give her visa extension because our current visa expires January and the rewrite date for the course is also January and the results will not be ready in time for us to apply for the post graduate work Visa. This means the aim of coming in for the Msc initially is technically defeated.

My question is that will her visa be granted if she apply for another masters from inside the UK using the postgraduate certificate/diploma.

I look forward to your valuable contribution/ opinion/ suggestions on this matter.

You can watch this video of a girl that had the same exact issue. But she was able to fight the school and get a visa extension.

I hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hT5PZzs-KA

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Egocen: 10:02am On Jul 13, 2022
Please I am looking for Digital Marketing Placement/Internship. I am open to remote work or a hybrid in England. Ideal start date is September 2022. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by akaprince(m): 10:16am On Jul 13, 2022
Join me and over 18 million users who love Revolut. Sign up with my link below: https://revolut.com/referral/adeyem52ri!JUL2-22-AR

Please �, kindly use my link to sign up with Revolut.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wanney: 12:47pm On Jul 13, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Accepted, but my argument was not stripping off ones experience in its entirety; it was strictly on the location. Taking out your location as Nigeria and leaving it to just the Role, Employer and Responsibilities - which from personal experience reduces bias.

Both of you are right on this, I do not believe name causes bias truly, maybe because most of the hiring managers I interacted with are from other places with long/short funny names like we africans as well. I removed Nigeria from my resume, but left role e.t.c and it is during the interview I speak about my experience from Naija.....But honestly UK workspace is multicultural and diverse

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ELff: 1:22pm On Jul 13, 2022
Please people of God, been trying to get a date for my practical driving test in Warwick but I can't seem to find one. I have checked up till next year June and still can't find a date. I booked a date in another center far from me, one of these villages in the hope to use these canceling apps to book a date and centre of choice but it's been a month now and nothing from gov.uk site and the cancelation apps either.

Seems like Warwick. Coventry, Birmingham and Nuneaton are fully booked.

Please any advise on how to move forward will be appreciated. This non driving is really limiting me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 2:11pm On Jul 13, 2022
Optimistguy1969:

Hi Fatima,
Good morning. I wish I can reach you at this moment.
Pls reply

So many factors will impact how she cope with work and family e.g location, type of job/working hours, salary level, presence of family etc. Its not impossible for a woman to cope with a 2yr old whilst working but something will have to be sacrificed as well and will be dependent on the answer to some of the questions above.

Prices for Creche which is also known as Nursery in the UK varies and largely dependant on location. I know people living outside London paying £1200 pcm before the economic crisis while I was paying circa £700.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 2:14pm On Jul 13, 2022
Modified
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2022
missjekyll:

thanks so much for this insight.

do you happen to know any that could help?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 4:11pm On Jul 13, 2022
ELff:
Please people of God, been trying to get a date for my practical driving test in Warwick but I can't seem to find one. I have checked up till next year June and still can't find a date. I booked a date in another center far from me, one of these villages in the hope to use these canceling apps to book a date and centre of choice but it's been a month now and nothing from gov.uk site and the cancelation apps either.

Seems like Warwick. Coventry, Birmingham and Nuneaton are fully booked.

Please any advise on how to move forward will be appreciated. This non driving is really limiting me.

If you have a driving instructor ask them if they can sort it for you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by beejay1157: 5:46pm On Jul 13, 2022
Hello house, help me look at this, my COS has been ready since April, I lost my old passport in May ending. I got my new passport today. My concern is, i hope there won’t be an issue of slight difference of Data page on my Cos, tb test certificate and my new passport( date of issue, expiry date)?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 5:50pm On Jul 13, 2022
Ensure you include copy of the same affidavit you use when 'renewing' your lost passport.
On other aspects, the elders/gurus will advice.
beejay1157:
Hello house, help me look at this, my COS has been ready since April, I lost my old passport in May ending. I got my new passport today. My concern is, i hope there won’t be an issue of slight difference of Data page on my Cos, tb test certificate and my new passport( date of issue, expiry date)?

(1) (2) (3) ... (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.