Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,917 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (521) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1170550 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 8:20am On Jul 17, 2022
hustla:

Ill use yours since you quoted me first

Can it be used on buses etc and is it contactless?
Amex works on buses. I use mine as default on apple pay and tap everywhere on trains and buses

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:34am On Jul 17, 2022
kode12:

Amex works on buses. I use mine as default on apple pay and tap everywhere on trains and buses

Thanks boss!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ayowolebami(f): 4:46pm On Jul 17, 2022
Hello everyone, Happy Sunday.

I need pounds please who has some pounds to exchange for naira?

Or kindly advise some trusted ancestors that can assist with this transaction biko I no wan enter one chance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by chimexview: 5:54pm On Jul 17, 2022
Good evening house, please how can secure an apartment around Sheffield Hallam university area? I don’t want to stay in the hostel and even if I do they have requirements which I feel will be a big stretch for me to accomplish. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ugonna1054(m): 6:04pm On Jul 17, 2022
Hello guyss

Please which UK bank is best for savings, with good interests?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ugonna1054(m): 6:07pm On Jul 17, 2022
Ayowolebami:

Or kindly advise some trusted ancestors that can assist with this transaction biko I no wan enter one chance.

You can use the Lemonade app for that
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by chimexview: 6:42pm On Jul 17, 2022
Good evening house, please how can secure an apartment around Sheffield Hallam university area? I don’t want to stay in the hostel and even if I do they have requirements which I feel will be a big stretch for me to accomplish. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ugo73(m): 7:00pm On Jul 17, 2022
I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/W4RF
Ayowolebami:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Whizkay(m): 7:19pm On Jul 17, 2022
I enjoyed your response. Thanks. I shall be in your DMs for for 1 or 2 more questions
Blazeens:

Birmingham is very immigrant friendly. lots of different races all around and easy to find your kind lol.

cost of living is also good(compared to london anyway) a bedshare can go for around 400 to 500 pcm while 1/2 bedroom flats can be seen at around 600 to 1200 depending on the area you're looking at. food is very affordable(Nigerian food as always is overpriced but still affordable compared to london) lots of night life and places to explore. transportation is easily access all over and you can use your card in the buses and trains. apparently crime rate has increased recently(I just heard this not experienced personally) but it's still generally safe( some areas you gotta avoid though just to save yourself any heartache). Birmingham is like the abuja to lagos comparison. has everything london has but without the fast and lifestyle.

Lemme know if you have any specific questions and i'll try to respond.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 7:54pm On Jul 17, 2022
Hi elders I applied for IHS refund and my claim was successful. I am to get payment into the account I paid with within 6 weeks.

The issue now is I paid with barter by flutterwave and they ve shut down today.

Is there anyway to contact visa team about this development and will they accept a new bank details?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:02pm On Jul 17, 2022
Blazeens:

would you be schooling? i'd rather tell where to find accomodation than where to avoid. but off the top of my head for places to avoid is small heath, Mosely, handsworth wood. this is just personal opinion others might have a different answer

Bookmarking
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:10pm On Jul 17, 2022
donald197:
Hi elders I applied for IHS refund and my claim was successful. I am to get payment into the account I paid with within 6 weeks.

chief

You can claim the IHS refund if you have worked in healthcare for how many months?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:18pm On Jul 17, 2022
I'll assume UKVI is aware of batter's shutdown and might even attempt to contact you; either when refunding or failed refund.
Whichever way, my gut feeling is to try and contact them ahead of time explicitly articulating the circumstances factual.

I don't know if this still works:
Contact Details for UK Visa and Immigration Enquiries
Email: UKVAIG.ServiceIntegration@fco.gov.uk
UK Telephone: +44 1243 213 322
Open: 10:00am - 6:00pm
curled from www.theukrules.co.uk/rules/immigration/arriving/healthcare/refund.html
donald197:
Is there anyway to contact visa team about this development and will they accept a new bank details?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:24pm On Jul 17, 2022
If you're not a medical professional, seemly having worked in your role for at least 6 months, for an average of at least 16 hours a week
See: www.gov.uk/apply-immigration-health-surcharge-refund/healthcare-setting
hustla:
chief
You can claim the IHS refund if you have worked in healthcare for how many months?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 8:59pm On Jul 17, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

Honestly you are right but the situation is not the same for people on student Visa especially if you have debts you are settling back home and also considering the post study option. I wish a thread can be created for people on the student route in the UK so that people coming on this route can learn from the mistake of others and be mentally prepared before coming in.

Honestly the student route does not favour single students at all if you haven't paid at least 70% of your school fees, even at that it's still a struggle since you are limited to 20 hours of work per week. It's a bit easier for couples since one of them can work unlimited hours per week.

True a lot of mental preparation is needed.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 9:01pm On Jul 17, 2022
hustla:

Left to me, all students need to prepare for the possibility of that 10 year route first. Have a plan for that in place and then chase sponsorship.. That way, even if the job / sponsorship does not come, you have a pathway towards what you’re aiming for

Marrying a citizen is another option for those who want to go that route

There's also the option of starting PR for other countries while waiting

smiley

Agreed, na serious strategy planning o, only the strong and resilent survives the UK

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 9:25pm On Jul 17, 2022
donald197:

How were you informed the claim was successful? And how long did it take?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Walexwal: 9:54pm On Jul 17, 2022

Please all, kindy advise a friend on these issues.

1. Does it make sense to collect a council house given to one by the council? PS: Housing rent is paid/covered by UC.
2. Does it make sense to rent a new or old build council house? PS: New build is in Council tax band E
3. Is it a good decision to buy a council house or rather buy a normal house?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 10:11pm On Jul 17, 2022
Hi all...
Is there anyone not aware of Lemonade transfers?

Easy platform to send money straight to your account at home
Please use my link to sign up

I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/AXsa
Ref code:CHINDX76

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:59pm On Jul 17, 2022
Walexwal:

Please all, kindy advise a friend on these issues.

1. Does it make sense to collect a council house given to one by the council? PS: Housing rent is paid/covered by UC.
2. Does it make sense to rent a new or old build council house? PS: New build is in Council tax band E
3. Is it a good decision to buy a council house or rather buy a normal house?

Thanks

1 - Council properties are cheaper to rent (in comparison to private rents).........
2 - I am a lover of old builds, bricks cannot be compared to plasterboards ...........
3 - Never buy a council property, the little gains at the purchase point, would be lost at the tail end (buy a normal freehold property) .............

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 11:11pm On Jul 17, 2022
https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/sIKIROVZYb?XL=MIMNS

hustla:
Link to Amex CC pls, with avios

Not the one with annual fees o please

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OgbeniOptional(m): 11:46pm On Jul 17, 2022
I have worked in care for more than 6 months but just 12 hours a week. Am I eligible?

donald197:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by StrikeBack(m): 12:15am On Jul 18, 2022
chimexview:
Hostel?? Sheffield Hallam university is not OAU or unilag..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 12:20am On Jul 18, 2022
OgbeniOptional:
I have worked in care for more than 6 months but just 12 hours a week. Am I eligible?

You need an average of 16weeks for the 6months
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OgbeniOptional(m): 12:24am On Jul 18, 2022
Oh ok, thanks

fatima04:

You news an average of 16weeks for the 6months
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 12:26am On Jul 18, 2022
donald197:

See attached and follow the link for more information
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/immigration-health-surcharge-applying-for-a-refund/immigration-health-surcharge-guidance-for-reimbursement-2020#annex

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 12:39am On Jul 18, 2022
6 months
hustla:

chief

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 12:40am On Jul 18, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaylov12: 1:05am On Jul 18, 2022
donald197:
Pls who lives in Stoke on trent. I need info on accommodation and cost of living.

Stoke is a small and typically quiet city. Not much activities, about 40mins drive to Manchester.

Cost of living depends on what you want. If single with no baggages, ST1 Hanley/Shelton is quite cheap.
ST2,Trentham most expensive guess due to it nearness to tourist locations
ST3, deprived area
ST4, closest to the hospital
ST6, I don't like that area, mostly deprived white working class area.

Since last year that I left, cost of accommodation has risen, like everywhere else in the UK.

There are 2 African shops in the city centre;
Emma chuks Nigerian
Mokola Ghanaian. both close to eachother.

Primary schools are quite good but Sec schools are kinda tricky, lots of behaviou issues.

It's q deprived city as I have said.
Very little to no activity (I was there mostly during covid). If you are a social rat, not a place to live.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaylov12: 1:26am On Jul 18, 2022
donald197:
Thank you.
Any advice on near by towns city that one cam live in?

This depends on what you'll be there for; work or study.
I would advise that you ignore the negatives and focus more on what you are there for.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 3:29am On Jul 18, 2022
Whizkay:
I enjoyed your response. Thanks. I shall be in your DMs for for 1 or 2 more questions

I would even avoid the Selly Oak area as well. I haven't been to Birmingstan for a while, but I found that area to be a sort of low-grade Akoka/Bariga with very many students living there. When an area turns into a student area, the landlords tend to allow their properties to become student housing with all that entails. If the OP's single, it could work, if you've got family I would definitely avoid.

(1) (2) (3) ... (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.