Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,287 members, 7,811,861 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (520) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1170510 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adebayo82: 12:48pm On Jul 16, 2022
Please can somebody share with me from the experience. Family of 4 will be coming to Uk second week of August through Heathrow London. Meanwhile, main applicant has entered UK since January 2022. My wife She has not travelled outside Nigeria neither facing immigration officer for reason she is herr . I want to know how possible it is If I accompany them to immigration counter/ checking point when they landed. I will be waiting for them at the Heathrow, can I give a response to some questions from immigration officer, I don't know whether is permitted for someone to reach the arrival checking point.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 1:01pm On Jul 16, 2022
Adebayo82:
Please can somebody share with me from the experience. Family of 4 will be coming to Uk second week of August through Heathrow London. Meanwhile, main applicant has entered UK since January 2022. My wife She has not travelled outside Nigeria neither facing immigration officer for reason she is herr . I want to know how possible it is If I accompany them to immigration counter/ checking point when they landed. I will be waiting for them at the Heathrow, can I give a response to some questions from immigration officer, I don't know whether is permitted for someone to reach the arrival checking point.

She's not going to write exam. If she can speak English she'll be ok, if she can't they'll get a translator. She has your address, she knows what you're doing in the UK, she has original documents. That's all that's needed. There's nothing to it, as long as everything is in order, you don't need to stress about it, Stop bothering yourself.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 1:03pm On Jul 16, 2022
gbens2000:
Please why are flights landing in gatwick airport London very cheap than hearthrow airport London. Pls who have use gatwick airport and is there any disadvantage we should be aware of?

It depends on where you're going to i.e final destination in the UK. You may might have to travel a bit longer to reach your final destination

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 1:07pm On Jul 16, 2022
mwenhen:

Hi CheesyTee I’m also waiting for a decision on my tier 2 application, mine is 12 weeks already. Do you mind sharing the email used in contacting UKVI? I also sent you a pm

If you're switching Tier 4 to work visa, you're better off using the biometrics app to take the photo and do the BRP scan. It's a lot faster.

2 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by domin8(f): 2:33pm On Jul 16, 2022
hustla:
Link to Amex CC pls, with avios

Not the one with annual fees o please

Thanks

You can apply for a British Airways AMEX Credit card, It's pretty straight forward, and their approval rate is very high at the moment.

You can use my link http://amex.co.uk/refer/nnAnnW9hPF?XL=MNMNS when applying, and we both get bonus Avios points.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by domin8(f): 2:35pm On Jul 16, 2022
Preshyi:
Please how were you able to even access the website to book a date or check other locations? It's been showing error message for over a week now. or is there a special way to get into the driving test website?

Check that you are not trying to access it while using a VPN. It will always give errors. The site works fine https://www.gov.uk/book-driving-test
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Davidandgo: 4:09pm On Jul 16, 2022
japhethGold:
Please bros, we need optimism NOW but not pessimism as this bros has painted. He is painting a gloomy picture which I refuse to accept.
Period.

There are jobs and there are good opportunities in the UK as it stands. He has forgotten that he is talking about a 3.5 Trillion Dollar Economy capacity that can absorb loads and loads of labour.

If you ask me, I would say choose a good course and also strive to take some professional certifications like Business Analysis, CIMA, ACCA, HR-CPD, OSHI for safety guys, Project management, ect..... Some of these certificates are short and can be taken online now. Sharpen your skills; these are what matter now for young people who japa from Nigeria. Anyway, the future is brighter here than in Nigeria.

So, getting a study visa to come to UK alone is achievement and a life time opportunity. How you see it and use it depends on you.

Thank you and God favour ALL of US in JESUS NAME.

Amen
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 16, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 7:26pm On Jul 16, 2022
gbens2000:
Please why are flights landing in gatwick airport London very cheap than hearthrow airport London. Pls who have use gatwick airport and is there any disadvantage we should be aware of?

There is no disadvantage but depends on your final destination as mentioned earlier.
I will advise you to do a rough check of land transport cost by road (e.g Uber) or train (tfl) and add to your flight cost. If it’s not far cheaper, use the airport close to your final destination. Save your self unnecessary stress grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nineville(m): 7:36pm On Jul 16, 2022
tushqueen:

Not been online, are you sorted now?

Thanks for your response, not yet.

I am thinking perhaps, is it this website?
https://portal.immigration.gov.ng/passport/epassport/ptype/1By1C
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by overdrive(m): 7:39pm On Jul 16, 2022
Evaberry:
Good evening everyone please I’m looking for accommodation in York, North Yorkshire.

Wow Congratulations u have crossed over.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 7:40pm On Jul 16, 2022
mwenhen:

Hi CheesyTee I’m also waiting for a decision on my tier 2 application, mine is 12 weeks already. Do you mind sharing the email used in contacting UKVI? I also sent you a pm

The wait is tiring. But i suppose they've got backlog.

I used UKVINHSteam@homeoffice.gov.uk (dedicated email for nhs staff).
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gbens2000(m): 8:05pm On Jul 16, 2022
kode12:

It depends on where you're going to i.e final destination in the UK. You may might have to travel a bit longer to reach your final destination
Going to Nottingham
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 8:43pm On Jul 16, 2022
Still not working
Domistic:
it works on a laptop or desktop. I couldn’t use Mobile
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 8:45pm On Jul 16, 2022
VPN? no I am not.

See the error message I keep getting even on my husband's browser. Did you click on the start now button to see if it works?
domin8:

Check that you are not trying to access it while using a VPN. It will always give errors. The site works fine https://www.gov.uk/book-driving-test

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adedapodvirus001(m): 8:58pm On Jul 16, 2022
Goke7:

Na naija we dey use work kill ourselves. My wife only work 2 days a week and we are fine. You need good level of contentment and discipline to thrive and enjoy the UK. All this 7 days work na slavery. Work smart and enjoy. You can't make all the money at once. Your family needs you as much as the money

Honestly you are right but the situation is not the same for people on student Visa especially if you have debts you are settling back home and also considering the post study option. I wish a thread can be created for people on the student route in the UK so that people coming on this route can learn from the mistake of others and be mentally prepared before coming in.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hanzzyyy(m): 9:09pm On Jul 16, 2022
Hello, Please Does QATAR AIRWAYS require Covid Vaccine?... And for those not Vaccinated e.g Children.. Do they require Covid-19 Negative Test??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:31pm On Jul 16, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

Honestly you are right but the situation is not the same for people on student Visa especially if you have debts you are settling back home and also considering the post study option. I wish a thread can be created for people on the student route in the UK so that people coming on this route can learn from the mistake of others and be mentally prepared before coming in.

Open the thread........

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mwenhen: 10:30pm On Jul 16, 2022
CheesyTee:

The wait is tiring. But i suppose they've got backlog.

I used UKVINHSteam@homeoffice.gov.uk (dedicated email for nhs staff).

Thank you. I’m not being sponsored by the NHS so I guess the email will not work.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 10:41pm On Jul 16, 2022
Evaberry:
Good evening everyone please I’m looking for accommodation in York, North Yorkshire.

Hey are u going to york st john uni?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 11:45pm On Jul 16, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

I believe you can use this existing thread
https://www.nairaland.com/863688/nigerian-students-uk-how-survive/207

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 11:49pm On Jul 16, 2022
Blazeens:

would you be schooling? i'd rather tell where to find accomodation than where to avoid. but off the top of my head for places to avoid is small heath, Mosely, handsworth wood. this is just personal opinion others might have a different answer

iThese are areas i'm personally familiar with so i can say they're alright, and transport link to city center colleges is always available

100% agree with Small Heath, wow that place shock me. Even my kid had to say mummy this road stinks where are we grin grin whilst walking through there. Its like one is back at Eko or oshodi market

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Slyp: 11:50pm On Jul 16, 2022
Raalsalghul:

This same sentiment has been echoed by Justwise and TheGuyFromHr previously and I have no reason to doubt it.

Looking at the approval rate of the Tier 4 visa which is high, it becomes suspect that the UK government is doing this all for the money.

As I've told people before - not to let the recent PSW visa fool them that the UK government is immigration friendly (BREXIT is a pointer to that).

So anyone that wants to get on this path should literally take out a pen, paper, a personal computer with internet connection and start researching, planning and crafting strategies for different scenarios that might come up which in my opinion is;

Best case: getting a sponsored job immediately after graduation and no need to apply for the PSW.

In between: getting the PSW visa of which you can or cannot get a sponsored job.

Worst case: getting denied the PSW visa.

Even after getting the sponsored job gannn, you still have to get a back up plan incase you lose it before qualifying for ILR.

These are all the possible scenarios I have thought up.

It is crazy, just just crazy. cheesy cheesy

But then again, it is what it is and you have to ask yourself what's in it for you after all the government, schools, landlords are all making money on your head.

Not to discourage anyone from taking this path, but at least be informed. cheesy

What exactly do you mean by this write up?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by domin8(f): 1:50am On Jul 17, 2022
Preshyi:
VPN? no I am not.

See the error message I keep getting even on my husband's browser. Did you click on the start now button to see if it works?

Look at the error message, your request was blocked by their firewall that is why you can't access it.

You will also see that you have a Proxy IP stated there which is most likely a VPN on the internet you are using.

You can try using your phone as a hotspot and connecting it to your laptop and test to see if that works.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 2:21am On Jul 17, 2022
Thank you.
Any advice on near by towns city that one cam live in?
Mellady:

I have lived in stoke on trent briefly. Very dry and boring town, but cheap accommodation. Try and get accommodation close to hanley that's the city centre where you have all the shops etc
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 7:37am On Jul 17, 2022
gbens2000:

Going to Nottingham

From Gatwick there's a bus that goes to Nottingham every few hours for less than or about £20. But its a 6-7hr trip. From Heathrow it's between 4-5hrs.

Train Heathrow - Nottingham about 4hrs.
Train Gatwick - Nottingham about 3:30hrs
If you're traveling with lots of luggage it might be more convenient to use the bus as there's less changing. Or take a taxi from airport to final dest.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:43am On Jul 17, 2022
mex551:

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/eMeKAOydtG?XL=MNANS

Ill use yours since you quoted me first

Can it be used on buses etc and is it contactless?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 7:49am On Jul 17, 2022
mwenhen:

Thank you. I’m not being sponsored by the NHS so I guess the email will not work.

You may contact the MP of the area (where you will be resuming work).

https://members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:53am On Jul 17, 2022
Raalsalghul:

This same sentiment has been echoed by Justwise and TheGuyFromHr previously and I have no reason to doubt it.

Looking at the approval rate of the Tier 4 visa which is high, it becomes suspect that the UK government is doing this all for the money.

As I've told people before - not to let the recent PSW visa fool them that the UK government is immigration friendly (BREXIT is a pointer to that).

Left to me, all students need to prepare for the possibility of that 10 year route first. Have a plan for that in place and then chase sponsorship.. That way, even if the job / sponsorship does not come, you have a pathway towards what you’re aiming for

Marrying a citizen is another option for those who want to go that route

There's also the option of starting PR for other countries while waiting

smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 7:55am On Jul 17, 2022
hustla:

Ill use yours since you quoted me first

Can it be used on buses etc and is it contactless?
. I haven’t used it on buses. I buy ticket online. But it works in all shops and online.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:01am On Jul 17, 2022
mex551:
. I haven’t used it on buses. I buy ticket online. But it works in all shops and online.

Alright Sir
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gbens2000(m): 8:03am On Jul 17, 2022
kode12:

From Gatwick there's a bus that goes to Nottingham every few hours for less than or about £20. But its a 6-7hr trip. From Heathrow it's between 4-5hrs.

Train Heathrow - Nottingham about 4hrs.
Train Gatwick - Nottingham about 3:30hrs
If you're traveling with lots of luggage it might be more convenient to use the bus as there's less changing. Or take a taxi from airport to final dest.
Thanks so much

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.