Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (524) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1170582 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (521) (522) (523) (524) (525) (526) (527) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 6:19pm On Jul 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Can you imagine? I was reading an article today which stated that the UK generally built its railways and airport infrastructure to function at operating temps of -10 to 35°C, while the Soviet Union generally built theirs to function at -15 to 45°C. So this small heat we have today which is not even up to a normal Lagos day is causing chaos in the UK's railway and airports while Russian MIG-23 pilots might be warming up their engines dey wait signal.

You are right. The entire UK infrastructure is due a serious overhaul but the politicians would rather play chess while enriching their friends and donors. Like I said, today/tomorrow is Russia’s surest bet at deploying those birds. Only 35°C, we don dey shout apocalypse and closing runways and railways upandan lol grin cheesy grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 6:34pm On Jul 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Can you imagine? I was reading an article today which stated that the UK generally built its railways and airport infrastructure to function at operating temps of -10 to 35°C, while the Soviet Union generally built theirs to function at -15 to 45°C. So this small heat we have today which is not even up to a normal Lagos day is causing chaos in the UK's railway and airports while Russian MIG-23 pilots might be warming up their engines dey wait signal.

Lool. Haba, how can you compare this to Lagos heat? Lagos almost never gets this hot jor. Maybe, Kano, Maiduguri, etc. Tomorrow's going to be 39° in London. Even in Kano, that is considered very hot.

The Soviet Union you mentioned has recorded Temperatures of over 45 before so it makes sense while UK had never hit anywhere near 40 till maybe tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 18, 2022
hustla:

this 25.3% variable for purchases

Do you have an idea what they mean?

Thanks!
Let say you make a purchase of £200.
If a credit card has an 25.3% for purchases.
Then you pay an interest of (25.3/100 * 200) / 12 every month. If you don't clear your balance.
In this case it's £3.92

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:37pm On Jul 18, 2022
icon8:

Lol God help us all if Putin decides to invade today, as the entire air fleet will be grounded at the minute cheesy cheesy cheesy. Brize Norton is RAF’s largest air base and its runways have melted

So you think if a fighter jet strays into UK airspace..... UK Airforce would not intercept it .......... Don't be joking.......... cheesy

Sonic boom go boom, walahi ........ smiley

Runway dey melt like chocolate.......... wink

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:40pm On Jul 18, 2022
MichaelUde:

I've only actually contacted one person on this thread, when I was job hunting and dealing with interviews, the OgaHR (who is exactly as he sounds here, blunt, direct and to the point, but otherwise friendly and speaks very good Igbo), and he gave me very good information, assitance and encouragement. Encouragement especially, like most people wey dey find work for this UK, sometimes the number of rejections you receive go drop your spirit. (His chilled beers/kai kai/Scottish firewater dey wait am anytime he comes to Edinburgh). From the way others come across here, I can only believe it would be the same if I contacted Madam Ticha for help with the mortgage I dey plan for instance, or Mamatukwas who is doing good work on the mamas and pikins thread, or OgaLexus for how to carry the finest London babes, etc.

I should be in Edinburgh mid-August on a work trip, and I'll take you up on your offer this time. Last two times I was in Edinburgh colleagues took me out to show me round and grab food. Actually felt good for a change to be welcomed by colleagues on a work trip; for Naija when people from HR turn up on tour, for whatever reason, sometimes na jazz them dey stone us.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:41pm On Jul 18, 2022
Lexusgs430:

So you think if a fighter jet strays into UK airspace..... UK Airforce would not intercept it .......... Don't be joking.......... cheesy

Sonic boom go boom, walahi ........ smiley

Lol, Lakenheath too don top hottest places in UK chart as well.
There's a full USAF base at Lakenheath.
Just saying.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 6:42pm On Jul 18, 2022
olenime:
I need 4k pounds guys for tuition payments.
Ive got naira!

Please be very cautious, ok? I should exchanging about £3k this week through aboki, I wish there was safer way to do P2P here
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:43pm On Jul 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Lol, Lakenheath too don top hottest places in UK chart as well.
There's a full USAF base at Lakenheath.
Just saying.

Some fighter Jets lifts up, like helicopters....... So runway not really required.......... grin

Forward thinking....... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:44pm On Jul 18, 2022
Solumtoya:

Lool. Haba, how can you compare this to Lagos heat? Lagos almost never gets this hot jor. Maybe, Kano, Maiduguri, etc. Tomorrow's going to be 39° in London. Even in Kano, that is considered very hot.

The Soviet Union you mentioned has recorded Temperatures of over 45 before so it makes sense while UK had never hit anywhere near 40 till maybe tomorrow.

My car outside temp has recorded 100F - 102F a few times in Lagos. That's about 38C. It's not unusual.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Some fighter Jets lifts up, like helicopters....... So runway not really required.......... grin

Forward thinking....... grin

Lol, very few land--based fighter aircraft are VTOL.
Apart from the F-35 mainly (I could be wrong though).
As a matter of fact, the Russians have more VTOL aircraft than the UK.
More food for thought. grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 6:49pm On Jul 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

My car outside temp has recorded 100F - 102F a few times in Lagos. That's about 38C. It's not unusual.

Nah. That's different. Ambient Temperature is different from an exposed metal in the temperature. You would be shocked that while your car was recording 100F, the temperature was only 27°c. Lagos temperature hardly ever crosses 96 ever. 38 is very unusual for Lagos
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:56pm On Jul 18, 2022
onecoder:

Let say you make a purchase of £200.
If a credit card has an 25.3% for purchases.
Then you pay an interest of (25.3/100 * 200) / 12 every month. If you don't clear your balance.
In this case it's £3.92

Thanks! Just wanted to confirm

If the balance is paid then, I won't pay interest

I wonder how they make profit though cos if everyone pays in time, they're jonzing
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:56pm On Jul 18, 2022
Solumtoya:

Nah. That's different. Ambient Temperature is different from an exposed metal in the temperature. You would be shocked that while your car was recording 100F, the temperature was only 27°c. Lagos temperature hardly ever crosses 96 ever. 38 is very unusual for Lagos

Oh, I definitely agree that car temperature sensors are not very accurate in terms of what they measure, but Lagos temperatures hover in the mid to high 30s during the dry season.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 6:58pm On Jul 18, 2022
Solumtoya:

Lol I was like the Lagos I used to live in has never been this hot. I think people assume Lagos is hotter because it’s very humid and comes without any form of breeze. Lagos is a steady 25 - 28 degrees
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:59pm On Jul 18, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Best you post advice you received, that was wrong. .... So others can learn .......

Nobody is either a fountain/island of knowledge.........

Should I post my passport here, to show you I am not using ori o lori ............. grin cheesy

Lexusgs430, out of all them talk for some pages back, the one wey pain me na say I no dey when you dey show people how to carry fine London girls

grin angry

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:00pm On Jul 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Oh, I definitely agree that car temperature sensors are not very accurate in terms of what they measure, but Lagos temperatures hover in the mid to high 30s during the dry season.

No wahala. If it's when we were young, I'd say "you wan bet?" cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:02pm On Jul 18, 2022
Solumtoya:

No wahala. If it's when we were young, I'd say "you wan bet?" cheesy

I'm still young o.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos

Check the average highs for Lagos under the climate section - in the 80s, before climate heating accelerated it was 32 degrees in the dry season, and temps of up to 40C have been recorded.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:02pm On Jul 18, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Lol I was like the Lagos I used to live in has never been this hot. I think people assume Lagos is hotter because it’s very humid and comes without any form of breeze. Lagos is a steady 25 - 28 degrees

Yup, that's usually the confusion. The temperatures are much lower, but the heat is less bearable. A sweaty hot day in Lagos is about 28 or 29.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:04pm On Jul 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

I'm still young o.

Oya na, ask any Meteorologist you trust and come and collect my Account Number and Sort Code o!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:07pm On Jul 18, 2022
Solumtoya:

Yup, that's usually the confusion. The temperatures are much lower, but the heat is less bearable. A sweaty hot day in Lagos is about 28 or 29.

Oh, we all know the difference between humid tropical heat and the dry heat found up north which is more bearable for being dry as opposed to sweaty.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:10pm On Jul 18, 2022
Solumtoya:

Oya na, ask any Meteorologist you trust and come and collect my Account Number and Sort Code o!

I asked Google. wink
I am very sure of what I said regarding recorded temps.
How the meteorologists arrive thereat, I can't say, but even from watching CNN as far back as the days of satellite dish ("I don buy CNN'), I remember Lagos quite often had forecast highs in the 30s in the dry season.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:14pm On Jul 18, 2022
hustla:

I wonder how they make profit though cos if everyone pays in time, they're jonzing

Seller pays a fee to the credit card company when you use your credit card.
Nothing's free anywhere, someone's always paying something somewhere. wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 7:26pm On Jul 18, 2022
hustla:

Interest is only one of the income lines for Credit Card Companies, there are so many other ways they make money. Also, many people still do not pay down fully on time. One financial hit and the Cardholder who had a perfect record of paying on time enters debt and struggles to bounce back for years. Credit Card is a very profitable product for FIs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 7:28pm On Jul 18, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Buy portable AC units, if you don't want to roast indoors........ wink

Not humidifiers or glorified fans wey una go dey pour ice blocks inside........... smiley

I am seriously considering this. But as the matter na temporary problem, I just dey reason say we go manage... besides we have seen worse.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:36pm On Jul 18, 2022
hustla:

Lexusgs430, out of all them talk for some pages back, the one wey pain me na say I no dey when you dey show people how to carry fine London girls

grin angry

That was when I was in the world & of the world ...... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:37pm On Jul 18, 2022
iboboyswag:

I am seriously considering this. But as the matter na temporary problem, I just dey reason say we go manage... besides we have seen worse.

Our tolerance levels no be mates ....... I respect your tolerance............ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:39pm On Jul 18, 2022
hustla:

Don't feel sorry for them ......... They make loads of money...........

They have the legal licence to mint money ........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 7:41pm On Jul 18, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Our tolerance levels no be mates ....... I respect your tolerance............ cheesy

Lol.. baba I just come na. E no too tey wey I complete 2 years for here, and as per say me i be ezigbo nwafor, the Nigerianess and all it's trappings and struggles no fit comot my body.

We go rugged am as always.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by zxxtx: 7:59pm On Jul 18, 2022
Please house, I just got my brp and I have this issue when I try to prove right to rent/work, I used my passport and the same thing. I have also entered the correct details what could be the problem and how to rectify.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oggg: 8:03pm On Jul 18, 2022
zxxtx:
Please house, I just got my brp and I have this issue when I try to verify, I used my passport and the same thing. I have also entered the correct details what could be the problem and how to rectify.
what are you verifying?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 8:04pm On Jul 18, 2022
zxxtx:
Please house, I just got my brp and I have this issue when I try to verify, I used my passport and the same thing. I have also entered the correct details what could be the problem and how to rectify.

The bottom of your screenshot says if you're having problems, contact UKVI. Soo......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by zxxtx: 8:06pm On Jul 18, 2022
Oggg:
what are you verifying?
prove right to work/rent

(1) (2) (3) ... (521) (522) (523) (524) (525) (526) (527) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.