Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,983 members, 7,810,741 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (532) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169519 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:24pm On Jul 22, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Not to encourage people working in care to be less careful, but in a situation like that described, I seriously doubt that a court would hand down a custodial sentence in the first place.

Right smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 9:57pm On Jul 22, 2022
The story teller might have exaggerated the sentence but there’s element of truth in the story. It can happen and it has happened
TheGuyFromHR:

This story doesnt sound true.
10 years is a very harsh sentence by UK standards for what is basically medical malpractice of sorts.
All those doctors and co. who make those kinds of errors get sentences in the 3 year range, this is way too high to be plausible.
Perhaps the person you cited meant 1 year, not 10.

Not to underplay the underlying message though - everyone be careful out there, and as is still the case and for numerous other reasons, avoid domiciliary care if you can.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:03pm On Jul 22, 2022
omopapa:
The story teller might have exaggerated the sentence but there’s element of truth in the story. It can happen and it has happened

Note that I didn't dispute the fact that a caregiver can be negligent. Of course anyone can make an error. Even if not as the poster put it - I don't think staff "carry" residents in care homes, for instance.
It's the sentence I find somewhat implausible.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 10:30pm On Jul 22, 2022
hustla:

Bro, quick and funny question

Can CCs be used for BNPL purchases like PayPal's Pay in 3?

Since PayPal's Pay in 3 now reports to credit agencies, can you use one bird to kill two stones that way assuming you always pay off your cc on time? Or will this be a flag to credit agencies and impact your ratings?

I am just curious grin

Your CC won’t work for PayPal pay in 3. Atleast it never works for me. Paypal rejects it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ninaskylar: 10:47pm On Jul 22, 2022
Please house, any answers to this would be appreciated.

Ninaskylar:
Hi Guys, I would like to renew my passport at the Nigerian High Commission in UK. Please is the fast track process still available and on what days?

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 10:52pm On Jul 22, 2022
omopapa:
they all belong to the same whatsapp grp

Which WhatsApp group is this? Asking cos I'm also interested.
Apart from low cost of living, is there any cons one should be aware of?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:57pm On Jul 22, 2022
jadepinkett:

Which WhatsApp group is this? Asking cos I'm also interested

He meant "they're all in the same category".

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 12:25am On Jul 23, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

He meant "they're all in the same category".

Sure, I knew this. Thanks � though for clarifying.
The main Q here is thar, is there any of these cities having more advantage than others, and any hidden cons that one should avoid by moving to any of them?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 4:58am On Jul 23, 2022
Ninaskylar:
Please house, any answers to this would be appreciated.
no fast track last I heard. Only show up when it’s your appt day.
Pay online, then pay and go for NIN if you dnt have, book appointment for capturing…. Either can come first but NIN should be ready on day of caturing,
buy 20 pounds postal order + self delivery envelope from post office, go to London for your capturing and wait for your passport’s delivery in 5-7 working days max from day of capturing. Some have been getting in shorter time.,

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missjekyll: 5:44am On Jul 23, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Missjekyll, would rather you do as your GP recommended .......... grin

All this African concoctions are not properly produced, they have not been tested by any western regulatory bodies............. grin

No recommended dosage, no prescriptions etc etc .... cheesy

And this is bad ? We are never going to agree on this topic obviously so might as well leave it .lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obitryce(m): 5:58am On Jul 23, 2022
I believe there's a recent outbreak of chicken pox in the UK cuz my eldest son just started showing signs of chicken pox last night and lucky for us a good friend just finished treating their son from the same ailment and brought over the remaining Calamine lotion they used and we started treatment on my son last night.
santos247:
Urgent appeal
My kids came home with chicken pox from their school. I have now been infected and its is really gross. I know 7KEYS ALLADIN is Very common in Nigeria to treat such as I had called NHS and the local doctor. It is long story of take PCM and it will go.
Some african (Nigerian) shops do sell some of these stuffs. Is there anyone who knows a naija shop that sells 7keys Alladin and can help me courier it today. I am desperately in need as NY face and entire body is badly affected. I ordered one from Nako General Foods. Paid on 19th and till now, the items have not been shipped. Terrible.
I just desperately need a medication that cure me as fast as possible.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:09am On Jul 23, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Your CC won’t work for PayPal pay in 3. Atleast it never works for me. Paypal rejects it

They're being smart grin cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ninaskylar: 6:11am On Jul 23, 2022
Thank you. I was able to get a date in September. I was just worried about the passport production.

giselle237:
no fast track last I heard. Only show up when it’s your appt day.
Pay online, then pay and go for NIN if you dnt have, book appointment for capturing…. Either can come first but NIN should be ready on day of caturing,
buy 20 pounds postal order + self delivery envelope from post office, go to London for your capturing and wait for your passport’s delivery in 5-7 working days max from day of capturing. Some have been getting in shorter time.,
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:14am On Jul 23, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Note that I didn't dispute the fact that a caregiver can be negligent. Of course anyone can make an error. Even if not as the poster put it - I don't think staff "carry" residents in care homes, for instance.
It's the sentence I find somewhat implausible.

They do, but not by hand

For instance, the first and only time i went to work at a care home, we used hoists; something like a mini human crane

That hoist thing to me is very dangerous cos if you do not take time to strap the patient in well, they can fall and hit their head

I have attached a picture of what it looks like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by RalphJean: 6:25am On Jul 23, 2022
hustla:

They do, but not by hand

For instance, the first and only time i went to work at a care home, we used hoists; something like a mini human crane

That hoist thing to me is very dangerous cos if you do not take time to strap the patient in well, they can fall and hit their head

Bruv…why was the first time the only time nah?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:08am On Jul 23, 2022
missjekyll:

And this is bad ? We are never going to agree on this topic obviously so might as well leave it .lol

It's not what you're thinking o ........ cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:22am On Jul 23, 2022
RalphJean:

Bruv…why was the first time the only time nah?

Brooooooooooooo!

I applied for a support worker role o, not care worker. Got there and was shocked shocked

I made mouth that I will resume 8am and leave 8PM thinking it doesnt involve personal care (they never mentioned it during the interview). I left or should I say ran away from there at 2PM

Got there and the ailments / condition some people are in is truly mind blowing; you'll just start to doubt God and your mental health starts to take a dive. Some people like it though, I am not just one of them

It doesnt make sense to me though. People who work in mental health / supported housing make the same money for more than half the stress

Information is key though, as some people dont know supported housing, assisted living etc exist smiley

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:43am On Jul 23, 2022
hustla:

Brooooooooooooo!

I applied for a support worker role o, not care worker. Got there and was shocked shocked

I made mouth that I will resume 8am and leave 8PM thinking it doesnt involve personal care (they never mentioned it during the interview). I left or should I say ran away from there at 2PM

Got there and the ailments / condition some people are in is truly mind blowing; you'll just start to doubt God and your mental health starts to take a dive. Some people like it though, I am not just one of them

It doesnt make sense to me though. People who work in mental health / supported housing make the same money for more than half the stress

Information is key though, as some people dont know supported housing, assisted living etc exist smiley

How can a hustla, abscond from a point of hustle...... wink

17 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:52am On Jul 23, 2022
Lexusgs430:

How can a hustla, abscond from a point of hustle...... wink

grin

Hustle pass Hustle

I like to be mentally prepared for things in advance, wasn't prepared for that at all

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:25am On Jul 23, 2022
hustla:

They do, but not by hand

Lol, I should have clarified that I meant "by hand", like its done in Naija.
Obviously non-ambulatory patients have to be moved somehow, so some "carrying" must be done. I assumed that there would be an element of mechanisation in the process, as you've confirmed.

When you have a non-ambulatory family member in hospital in Nigeria, you go turn bodybuilder by force.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:35am On Jul 23, 2022
hustla:

Brooooooooooooo!

That's why medical professionals live such intense lives (e.g. medical students tend to indulge in a lot of stuff), because they see life in its most basic form, where the human being can be ravaged by so many things, some simultaneously, to the extent that you wonder if there is any meaning to life at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ogbaba123: 8:53am On Jul 23, 2022
Please guys, can a man claim paternity statutory pay?
And is this clarified as public funds?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:00am On Jul 23, 2022
Ogbaba123:

https://www.gov.uk/paternity-pay-leave

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eljidy(m): 9:16am On Jul 23, 2022
Hi guys,

Please what are the cons and pros of living in Bradford City. I'm seeing some scary things online.

Anyone living in Bradford yet that could first hand experience?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:18am On Jul 23, 2022
Ogbaba123:

Employment related benefits like those usually aren't.
Because you pay NI, you can get some unemployment benefits and definitely SSP irrespective of immigration status.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:20am On Jul 23, 2022
eljidy:
Hi guys,

Please what are the cons and pros of living in Bradford City. I'm seeing some scary things online.

Anyone living in Bradford yet that could first hand experience?

Thanks

Bradford is virtually an Asian city, so that's something to get used to.
Apart from that it's in the same somewhat economically deprived category as Hull, Middlesbrough, Stoke, etc.
Some people are thriving in such locations.
Some aren't.

Up to you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by brandmix: 9:34am On Jul 23, 2022
Hi everyone,

My coy is transferring me to the UK permanently. So I am very green on this train.

Reading up 500 pages no be beans, but will try.

With regards accommodation in Southampton, can anyone recommend a good area to settle?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:51am On Jul 23, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

When you have a non-ambulatory family member in hospital in Nigeria, you go turn bodybuilder by force.

cheesy cheesy

Nigeria is just "different"
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:52am On Jul 23, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

That's why medical professionals live such intense lives (e.g. medical students tend to indulge in a lot of stuff), because they see life in its most basic form, where the human being can be ravaged by so many things, some simultaneously, to the extent that you wonder if there is any meaning to life at all.

I think I understand them better now

It's not easy at all

Your mind starts to question life itself and if all the hustle is worth any stress

I heard hospice / end of life homes are the worst
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by brandmix: 10:12am On Jul 23, 2022
fatima04:
Meanwhile my baby is now in school oo, I think we are more excited than the child sef. After relocating as a baby, I struggled with childcare, combining fulltime work with nursery runs etc we are now free from Nursery charges grin grin. Although we are porting to Morning and afternoon club cost but its a relief from full time childcare cost.

I learnt a lot on this thread on things to search for when choosing schools, curriculum, school area and neighbourhood etc, so thank you to everyone sharing your ideas.

Now to start researching gradually for grammar schools since most people said better to start early preparation.

The new thing I discovered during my research aside OFSTED rating is a new comparative tool that shows the schools performance in English,Maths and Reading and comparing to Local and England averages. Basically, some schools can be outstanding but have just average performance in those KS1 and KS2 area. So for anyone prepping for next year or midyear application check the below link for more information and also feel free to disturb the Local Authority for information as well. I called severally oo to know my chances in my school preference.

https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/find-a-school-in-england

Hi researching for good areas to get accommodation in Southampton and I also heard the location one picks influences the school options available.

I have a 6 months old son and my rent budget is anything between £1200 - £1500.

Can you share some tips that’s can aid me in selecting the right neighbor in Southampton to settle.

Anyone with insight can chip in as well.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:16am On Jul 23, 2022
hustla:

I think I understand them better now

It's not easy at all

Your mind starts to question life itself and if all the hustle is worth any stress

I heard hospice / end of life homes are the worst

Hospice is better...... Because you're simply on your way to heaven, hell or venus ........ grin

You eat the best food, you also get the best care ...... Indeed, dignity in death is paramount......... cheesy

If admitted to a hospice and you refused to die within 7 days (you get discharged).......... wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.