Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169221 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 7:22pm On Oct 30, 2021
omopapa:
I am an alumni of LabMedExper, I knw Mr Kunle very well and he does mention it that the Portfolio is just a training portfolio at LabMedExpert.

The one required by IBMS is more compact and detailed. The one at LabMedExpert does not have any added advantage.

4. Yes some labs allow their band 3s to complete the registration portfolio at their free time.

I want to know if its possible to complete the IBMS portfolio with LabMed?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Vidor(m): 9:07pm On Oct 30, 2021
And also I advise people to diversify when they want to get into tech… tech is not just website development.

There are so many things to learn, UI/UX, product management, Cyber security, Data base management.

I started as a graphics Design, to UI, python and branched into so many aspect of tech.

You can’t learn everything at once start small, don’t force yourself, learn for passion not for money it will be an interesting journey.

Try build real life solutions watching thousands of tutorials will not make you good unless you try to build a solution no matter how small it can be part of portfolio tomorrow.

If you have interest in Ethical hacking or cyber security or data scraping I can guide you through.

But be ready to learn python!

LagosismyHome:

I believe that Tech pays higher than the average earnings so when you are climbing you be able to afford a comfortable life

However however.... I feel Tech is not easy to enter because it very heavily "relevant work experience driven ". So I am cautious about advising people into tech if they don't have relevant work experience

But.... if you want to start from the bottom / lowest level in tech and then climb up...ok as it then becomes easier if you want to go down this route and don't have experience

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Vidor(m): 9:23pm On Oct 30, 2021
There are still a lot of opportunities in Nigeria but the only problem is that it doesn’t have an enabling environment for starters.

Days are gone when people struggle to build wealth in Nigeria and get to the apex of wealth.
Today it’s either you have money to start big or nothing for you.
I’m a business consultant in the tech industry and I can tell you investment here is not a waste, if you have fund to push.

I have worked for a few gaming companies in Nigeria and I can tell you that they are cashing out billions monthly.

Recently an Indian company launched a gaming platform in Nigeria I was to work with them tho it didn’t work out and they are already doing good figures.

I had another call from another lady who wants to push an Eco e-commerce market place in Nigeria.

A current organization I consulted for in the Agri-tech space has the largest maize farm in Africa just between 3 years now and doing well even tho he is having issues with his investors but there is money in Nigeria you only need big money to make the money.

If there is nothing people won’t be struggling to come and invest here.

I feel we need to understand the meaning of investment and what kind of investment and also the returns.

Why is Obi Cubana investing in real estate in Nigeria why not UK.
Have money and make money from here even at proxy.

deept:
to each his own o, move bac to Nigeria don't move back to Nigeria; invest in Nigeria don't invest in Nigeria. Everybody's preference is different. There was a time on the last LITUK thread a gentleman defended investing in Nigeria. He came back after a few weeks to lament when the value of his investments had tanked significantly as a result of the fall i the value of naira. He would have been richer in Naira if he did not do anything but kept his money in the bank.

Loads of older people here regretting sending money to Nigeria to build houses when they first came to the UK. In hindsight, they wished they had used such funds as deposit to buy their own homes over here. They would have been set up for retirement with homes by the sea. Instead they have houses in Nigeria where nobody lives and even those that have tenants, tenants dont pay and the value of these properties is nothing if they sell and bring the funds back.

As for me and my house for now, any investment in Nigeria is with funds already in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obitryce(m): 9:25pm On Oct 30, 2021
Pounds available naira needed!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by elisinho(m): 12:34am On Oct 31, 2021
obitryce:
Pounds available naira needed!!

I need pounds dm please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 12:50am On Oct 31, 2021
NO because LabMedExpert is not an accredited training lab by IBMS.

LabMedExpert training portfolio is just skills on microtomy and tissue processing including tissue embedding, registration portfolio is a lot more than that.

AirBay:

4. Yes some labs allow their band 3s to complete the registration portfolio at their free time.

I want to know if its possible to complete the IBMS portfolio with LabMed?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jtech17: 2:10am On Oct 31, 2021
IamE:
Layman advise.
With student visa you can work officially for 20hrs per wk. Unofficially you can work as long as you can.
Dont just go into any random course coz you wanna travel, there are good courses that after studying you automatically get extra 1/2 years to stay and work.
There are so many in uni in the UK but i can recommend a few.
Are you referring to PSW or you trying to say that some courses that gives you the advantage of staying for a year or 2... this is the first time I'm seeing this in my entire research life on UK thread oo

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IamE: 5:41am On Oct 31, 2021
Depending on the school not all courses gives you the opportunity for PSW. Some are finish and go go home or get 1 year only
jtech17:

Are you referring to PSW or you trying to say that some courses that gives you the advantage of staying for a year or 2... this is the first time I'm seeing this in my entire research life on UK thread oo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Josh121(m): 6:27am On Oct 31, 2021
IamE:
Depending on the school not all courses gives you the opportunity for PSW. Some are finish and go go home or get 1 year only

Are you sure of all this cause Gov.Uk does not list course to study and there is nothing like 1 year when it comes to PSW

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 6:40am On Oct 31, 2021
omopapa:

LabMedExpert training portfolio is just skills on microtomy and tissue processing including tissue embedding, registration portfolio is a lot more than that.

Alright. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ogheneakpors: 8:58am On Oct 31, 2021
twizzie:

I was paying the 75% until I read it here I did not have to.
Sharp, I sent my council mail, took them a while to respond but they did and asked for proof. Sent the same .......applied the ry.

Sent you a PM, please reach out. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:36am On Oct 31, 2021
Vidor:
There are still a lot of opportunities in Nigeria but the only problem is that it doesn’t have an enabling environment for starters.

Days are gone when people struggle to build wealth in Nigeria and get to the apex of wealth.
Today it’s either you have money to start big or nothing for you.
I’m a business consultant in the tech industry and I can tell you investment here is not a waste, if you have fund to push.

I have worked for a few gaming companies in Nigeria and I can tell you that they are cashing out billions monthly.

Recently an Indian company launched a gaming platform in Nigeria I was to work with them tho it didn’t work out and they are already doing good figures.

I had another call from another lady who wants to push an Eco e-commerce market place in Nigeria.

A current organization I consulted for in the Agri-tech space has the largest maize farm in Africa just between 3 years now and doing well even tho he is having issues with his investors but there is money in Nigeria you only need big money to make the money.

If there is nothing people won’t be struggling to come and invest here.

I feel we need to understand the meaning of investment and what kind of investment and also the returns.

Why is Obi Cubana investing in real estate in Nigeria why not UK.
Have money and make money from here even at proxy.

Why did you spoil it with Obi Cubana... do you know his true source of wealth or investment. .... I doubt you seen his accounting books

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:41am On Oct 31, 2021
omopapa:

I love how you so knowledgeable in this pathway and so ready to guide others.... welldone and 5 salute for you.....
we need more of you

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 9:54am On Oct 31, 2021
Thanks for the flowers maami, na the work wey we dey do grin
LagosismyHome:

I love how you so knowledgeable in this pathway and so ready to guide others.... welldone and 5 salute for you.....
we need more of you

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:57am On Oct 31, 2021
IamE:

Where did you get this info from?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kukujajaja: 9:59am On Oct 31, 2021
I think this platform was initiated to give coherent and accurate information. I am disappointed that lots of people are just here to misinterpreting UK government and misleading innocent people. Too bad! 2years PSW is meant for every UK graduates irrespective of UK universities and courses as long as the prospective student graduated from UK university under this new law.
Of course, there is no extension if such graduate fails to secure a job with any organisations that can sponsor his her tier 2 visa after he has exhausted the 2 years PSW. Let get our facts clear before sending it here for human consumptions.

IamE:

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 10:17am On Oct 31, 2021
omopapa:
Thanks for the flowers maami, na the work wey we dey do grin

I have sent you an email, kindly send me a copy of the module descriptor.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kukujajaja: 10:18am On Oct 31, 2021
The new ‘Graduate’ route will be open to all international students – including those from India – who have valid UK immigration status as a student and have successfully completed a course of study in any subject at undergraduate level or above at an approved UK Higher Education Provider. The visa will allow eligible students to work, or look for work, in any career or position of their choice, for two years after completing their studies.

This builds on UK government action to help recruit and retain the best and brightest global talent, as well as opening up opportunities for future breakthroughs in science, technology and research and other world-leading work that international talent brings to the UK.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said:

The new Graduate Route will mean talented international students, whether in science and maths or technology and engineering, can study in the UK and then gain valuable work experience as they go on to build successful careers.

It demonstrates our global outlook and will ensure that we continue to attract the best and brightest.

Sir Dominic Asquith, British High Commissioner to India, said:

This is fantastic news for Indian students, who will now be able to spend more time in the UK after completing their degree, allowing them to gain further skills and experience.

The UK is home to some of the best higher education institutions in the world and continues to welcome international students. I’m delighted that numbers of Indian students coming to study in the UK are constantly increasing, having doubled over the last three years. Last year alone we saw a massive 42% increase.

This exciting announcement will help ensure that the UK remains one of the best destinations for students across the world.

The UK welcomes genuine students from India and the rest of the world for the positive contribution they make to the UK. Indian student numbers have significantly increased over the last three years, reaching almost 22,000 in the year ending June 2019. This was a 42% increase on the previous year – and almost 100% higher than three years ago. In addition, 96% of all Indians who apply for a UK visa are successful – meaning the vast majority of those who wish to come to the UK are able to do so.

This announcement follows the creation of a new fast-track visa route for scientists and the removal of the limit on PHD students moving into the skilled work visa route, which collectively aim to cement the UK as a science superpower and a world-leader in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) sector. Almost half of all Indian students (almost 130,000 since 2008/9) heading to UK in the last ten years chose a STEM subject.

Further information
Often referred to as a ‘Post-Study Work visa’ in India, the new Graduate route will launch for the 2020/21 intake of students to university. After the two years, they will be able to switch onto the skilled work visa if they find a job which meets the skill requirement of the route. Further details will be announced in due course.

The visa will offer opportunities to work or look for work after graduating. However, unlike the route which closed in 2012, this new route will also include safeguards to ensure only genuine, credible students are eligible.

The status of each higher education institution will be shown in the register of licenced sponsors, which is publicly available on the GOV.UK website.

This follows a shake-up of immigration rules announced by the Prime Minister in August to encourage the world’s top scientists to move to the UK.

The UK has seen a strong increase in Indian student numbers in recent years. The latest available statistics are on the Home Office website. Specifically, in the year ending June 2019:

Almost 22,000 student visas were granted to Indian nationals – a 42% increase on the previous year and almost 100% higher than the year ending June 2016.

In addition, over 500,000 visit visas were granted to Indian nationals – more than 1 in 5 of all visit visas.

More than 56,000 Indians received skilled work visas – a 5% increase compared to the previous year, which is also the largest increase for any country.

The numbers of Indian students studying STEM subjects in the UK were provided by British Council from the HESA Student record 2007/08 - 2017/18. Data in original format is available on the HESA website.

Kukujajaja:
I think this platform was initiated to give coherent and accurate information. I am disappointed that lots of people are just here to misinterpreting UK government and misleading innocent people. Too bad! 2years PSW is meant for every UK graduates irrespective of UK universities and courses as long as the prospective student graduated from UK university under this new law.
Of course, there is no extension if such graduate fails to secure a job with any organisations that can sponsor his her tier 2 visa after he has exhausted the 2 years PSW. Let get our facts clear before sending it here for human consumptions.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jtech17: 10:37am On Oct 31, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Why did you spoil it with Obi Cubana... do you know his true source of wealth or investment. .... I doubt you seen his accounting books
obi cubana really spoil am oo... when.someone said obi cubana says he prays regularly..I was like do you expect him to come on national television to say he has room for spirikoko activity in his backyard or tell you he did street before going legit ........ by the way youths were killed and their deaths denied by sanwo olu and other top ranking men in Nigeria at lekki toll gate even with video evidence and the whole world was watching everything that happened that night...and fashola forming agent vinod afterwards.... is enough to tell you that people lie alot on social media or on air...... if that can be denied how much more things we don't even see or have eveidence of..... they'll still lie about it na...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 12:14pm On Oct 31, 2021
@justwise @lexusgs430 et al can you help please.
I'm searching for the clause in the tier 2 visa guidance that said something like, you cannot already be employed by the organization sponsoring the visa.
I've seen it sometime in the past, but can't find it anymore. Not sure if that has been removed in the latest updates to the guidance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 12:48pm On Oct 31, 2021
@justwise @lexusgs430

I see people using business accounts to receive their wages. Is this against the law? I am not too sure if they have businesses running but they have their biz registration done.

I started a small business recently and I want to inform my employer to pay my wages into the account. Someone told me Both taxes from my wages and profit can be paid at the end of the tax year. Is this correct?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 12:52pm On Oct 31, 2021
kode12:
@justwise @lexusgs430 et al can you help please.
I'm searching for the clause in the tier 2 visa guidance that said something like, you cannot already be employed by the organization sponsoring the visa.
I've seen it sometime in the past, but can't find it anymore. Not sure if that has been removed in the latest updates to the guidance.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1024991/Sponsor-guidance-Part-2-sponsor-a-worker-10-21.pdf

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 12:57pm On Oct 31, 2021
AirBay:
@justwise @lexusgs430

I see people using business accounts to receive their wages. Is this against the law? I am not too sure if they have businesses running but they have their biz registration done.

I started a small business recently and I want to inform my employer to pay my wages into the account. Someone told me Both taxes from my wages and profit can be paid at the end of the tax year. Is this correct?

I'm not sure about this, but your wages are taxed already so i don't see why you want it double taxed by paying it into your business account.

Maybe there is a business tax loophole to this

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by realvip: 1:42pm On Oct 31, 2021
Does anyone know how long a migrant on a skilled worker Visa is expected to stay before he can be allowed to purchase a car or get a house mortgage?

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 1:54pm On Oct 31, 2021
AirBay:
@justwise @lexusgs430

This isn't something you come asking on Nairaland.
Consult an accountant.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Moyosore019: 1:55pm On Oct 31, 2021
Good afternoon , I would like to know more about family visa ( in this case for someone who has an Uncle in the Uk), what are the steps to take, and the fees to pay. Thank you @justwise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 1:59pm On Oct 31, 2021
realvip:
Does anyone know how long a migrant on a skilled worker Visa is expected to stay before he can be allowed to purchase a car or get a house mortgage?

Thanks.

You can purchase a car tonight if you have the cash and so desire.
If you meant finance a car, as a newcomer to the UK, if you are approved for a HP or PCP or secure loan from your bank in the first place, the interest rates are going to be high.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:34pm On Oct 31, 2021
AirBay:
@justwise @lexusgs430

It's possible to pay wages into a business account,if your employer is still accepting IR35........

But not to over complicate your taxation schedule,if you are on PAYE (pay into personal account).......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:05pm On Oct 31, 2021
AirBay:
@justwise @lexusgs430

It depends on how your employer is classifying you as, self employed or employee or outside ir35

If your employer is removing the tax by classifying you as employee(PAYE) then this very unwise because you might end up double taxation

The only time this should be an option is if your employer classifies you as working outside IR35, then yes such engagement should be paid through a business account

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Folabifreeman(m): 4:30pm On Oct 31, 2021
elisinho:

I need pounds dm please

Still available if u need

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.