Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,575 members, 7,812,870 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:04 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (856) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1171130 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (853) (854) (855) (856) (857) (858) (859) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 1:06pm On Feb 19, 2023
But you know the drill naaa. For Youkay, just park your Naija former positions one side and try to upskill to meet up with the job requirements here. I'm not sure that person cn just jump into a secretary role just like that with her MBA. Best she can do is look through job sites and see if she can relate her experience working in her dad's company to any of the roles advertised as transferable skills.

eniola1010:

Abeg o help me answer people of God

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harddrive2012: 1:33pm On Feb 19, 2023
Good afternoon,

Please is there any app I can use in calling Nigeria from UK for free ? Or, is there a cheaper way to call Nija from Uk ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 1:38pm On Feb 19, 2023
Phayie:

Ask yourself if what you wrote on public forum makes sense

My sister na deaperation. U no go understand the kind hot seat wey this person dey. But i totally undersand ur view
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Wakabouter: 2:43pm On Feb 19, 2023
If you are new to the UK and you don't have a credit score or you are looking top work up your score.
Unfortunately, it won’t make any difference if you had a wonderful financial record back in Nigeria because in the UK you are starting from scratch.
The good news is you can do a lot of things that can help you build a great credit score.https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/oLUWAAK1Ex?XL=MIMNS

There are two important things you need to understand: getting a credit card and Improving your credit score.

Getting a credit card.
Before you can get a credit card, you should have a verifiable name. This means getting your name and records into the system.
Here are a few tips for that.
i. Get on the electoral register. This is basically registering to vote, and it makes it easy to link an address to your name. Visit https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register
ii. Get a cheap Sim-Only contract like O2, Virgin, EE, etc. rather than PAYG like Lebara or Lyca.
iii. Apply for a provisional driver's licence (if you have spent 6 months in the UK).
iv. Get your name on a utility bill: gas, electricity, internet...
All these are very easy ways of getting your name and record in the system.
You can use easy credit card providers like
Capital One: A quick check will be run to see if you are eligible. https://quickcheck.capitalone.co.uk
Amex: The check is less stressful and usually quicker, bonus points are also awarded which can be redeemed later. https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/oLUWAAK1Ex?XL=MIMNS
You can get enough bonus point to get a free return trip to your destination of choice with British Airways.
Store cards. Stores like Tesco, Argos, etc. issue credit cards for customers with no history.

Improving credit score
Using a real-life scenario, my score goes up every time and here is the summary of the reasons as stated on my record.

What's affected your score this month?
i. Your score has gone up because you've been on the electoral register at your current address for a longer time.
ii. Your score has gone up because you now have active revolving credit accounts, such as credit cards.
iii. Your score has gone up because you're using a reasonable amount of your available credit.

**You can also improve your record by manually reporting your rent using services like creditladder.

Some banks like Lloyds will show you what your credit score is on the app.

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 2:58pm On Feb 19, 2023
eniola1010:

Honestly we no suopose dey use 15mins dey bath. Ppl need to realize say bathing ur skin too much is not really good. Ur skin need those oil. The skin will sort itself naturally. Dont leave the tap on when brushing. Dont wash unless u have a pile of dirty cloth.

Dont do underwashing by that i mean washing less cloth in the washing machine.

These thins na just sustainable procedures.

Although it is very hard to achieve.

For example even me wey dey talk. I get over 100 tesco nylon. Even when tesco try to put a price on each nylon to make us reuse old nylon. Ppl still dont care they will still pay for new nylon when they have dozens at home they can resuse

We don’t wash for 15mins. We just let the water cool the head. It’s a substitute for swimming 😃 😊

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 3:05pm On Feb 19, 2023
Adebayo82:
Please can somebody share with me the link to apply for AMEX credit card.
https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/dAVIdEzYpk?XL=MNMNS

My Paris ticket is almost complete. Please register with my link grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:11pm On Feb 19, 2023
bigtt76:
But you know the drill naaa. For Youkay, just park your Naija former positions one side and try to upskill to meet up with the job requirements here. I'm not sure that person cn just jump into a secretary role just like that with her MBA. Best she can do is look through job sites and see if she can relate her experience working in her dad's company to any of the roles advertised as transferable skills.

So if I used to work for Microsoft in Nigeria, I should park it to one side?

grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ahiboilandgas: 3:18pm On Feb 19, 2023
harddrive2012:
Good afternoon,

Please is there any app I can use in calling Nigeria from UK for free ? Or, is there a cheaper way to call Nija from Uk ?
use ESDIAC. APP DOWNLOAD FROM PLAY STORE

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 3:19pm On Feb 19, 2023
harddrive2012:
Good afternoon,

I use the Tesco International Calling App (11.5p/mins and unlimited SMS) - so a £5 credit would give you about 45mins call time.

WhatsApp is free cheesy

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BoyleEd: 3:37pm On Feb 19, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 3:43pm On Feb 19, 2023
Not that ....I'm sure you understand where I'm driving at cheesy

If you have previous experience working for Microsoft in Nigeria or any of the consulting firms like PWC, KPMG etc ...you stand a better change getting a role with their office here in the youkay.

But if you hold a position of Director this_or_that with any kain company or organisation for Naija before you come over, just humble yourself small cos you go hear am small cheesy

hustla:

So if I used to work for Microsoft in Nigeria, I should park it to one side?

grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:48pm On Feb 19, 2023
bigtt76:
Not that ....I'm sure you understand where I'm driving at cheesy

But if you hold a position of Director this_or_that with any kain company or organisation for Naija before you come over, just humble yourself small cos you go hear am small cheesy

cheesy

Director at Tinubu Enterprises
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jacupel: 5:46pm On Feb 19, 2023
harddrive2012:
Good afternoon,

Hi, use ‘Talku’
It’s an app that you can use as long as you have internet on your phone (the person you are calling doesn’t need to have internet)
To get free credit on talku, all you have to do is watch a couple of ads in the app
Here’s my link to download (I’ll get some free credits if you use my link)
http://talkyou.me/ios/fl/es/a/?i=talkudVg8ba
You can also just search for talku on your App Store of google play store if you don’t want to use my link.
I’ve been using it since 2017 without any problem

You’re welcome cheesy

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 5:55pm On Feb 19, 2023
Hclinton:
Thanks. I just went through it. My question is it's my dependant that is working as carer, pls the phrase below is not clear " If you’re eligible, your dependants can also get a refund. You must include them in your application".
If my dependant is applying for refund, will it cover me the primary applicant who is a student and will her own also cover for the children. Thanks

This works same way your visa works - main applicant applying and all your dependants enjoying same privilege courtesy of main applicant.
Just make sure you have everyone’s IHS handy, and your payslip covering 6 months.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 5:57pm On Feb 19, 2023
Lexusgs430:
Before you buy that new car ........... Council tax is going up next year ............😂🤣😁

Next year abi this year 🤣 in fact, April sef
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 6:22pm On Feb 19, 2023
You can apply on your portal, but you must have paid your annual license fee till date and building levy.
Gloriouscrown:
Hello Doctors and Dentists in the house, please how can I get a letter of good standing from MDCN? I have logged into my account but all I see is license renewal fee. Can someone please advice me?

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 6:37pm On Feb 19, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Let's hope quake, no quake again .........😂

E still dey quake o, 5.3 or .8 this morning
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gloriouscrown: 6:44pm On Feb 19, 2023
donald197:
You can apply on your portal, but you must have paid your annual license fee till date and building levy.

Building levy😯

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 7:20pm On Feb 19, 2023
davide470:
https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/dAVIdEzYpk?XL=MNMNS

My Paris ticket is almost complete. Please register with my link grin

lol. Paris is 10 gbp on ryan air. save your avios for naija. you need 50k for that

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:36pm On Feb 19, 2023
AlphaUno:

E still dey quake o, 5.3 or .8 this morning

Where you dey get your news from ..........🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:37pm On Feb 19, 2023
AlphaUno:

Next year abi this year 🤣 in fact, April sef

Next tax year .........😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 8:17pm On Feb 19, 2023
CowbellY:

lol. Paris is 10 gbp on ryan air. save your avios for naija. you need 50k for that
Ryan Air with £10 for flight, £30 for luggage.. 👀

I get property to carry from Paris 😁

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:29pm On Feb 19, 2023
davide470:
Ryan Air with £10 for flight, £30 for luggage.. 👀

I get property to carry from Paris 😁

Micheal O'Leary must wack nah ........😁

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by D1uncle: 9:11pm On Feb 19, 2023
ukay2:
For CASH LISA account holders, do not forget to get the £4,000 into it to get the free 25% ((£1,000) by end of tax year in 5th April 2023. This could be used to deposit for your first mortgage house. Husband and wife less than 40 years could open this account and save upto £10,000 each tax year until both reach 50 years when you cannot save money in the LISA account.

For STOCK & SHARES ISA account holders, do not forget to max out the £20,000 allowance per tax year, 5th April, 2023. When you max out the £20k in stocks and shares ISA account, you can keep putting more funds in your General Investment Account.

There are so many stocks that are quite cheap in NYSE...you can cherry pick good dividend paying stocks with dividend yields upto 6-8%.

Remember that profits from stocks and share lSA account and dividend payments from your stocks and shares ISA account are not TAXABLE....tax man doesn't look into these earnings

Slow and steady win in the market....

HAPPY 2023.....

Hello, Which bank offers this LISA account option?
Or what is the process of opening a LISA account?
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 9:47pm On Feb 19, 2023
eniola1010:
Please what job do u think a lady with a mba from nigeria can do in uk if such lady does not want to do support or care?

She has experience as a secetary in her dads company in nigeria.

Is it possible for such person to be employed as secetary, receptionist, Personal assistant or any clerical role in uk without any uk experience?

Or which work such person fit do if no be support or care? Asking for someone pls

youkay is not like Nigeria. Roles like secretary and clerical jobs are non existence or scarce in the uk . The title personal assistance is mostly used for care/support work. Nevertheless, tailor your cv to highlight transferable skills and look for customer service roles. Hope that helps.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 10:36pm On Feb 19, 2023
mex551:
youkay is not like Nigeria. Roles like secretary and clerical jobs are non existence or scarce in the uk . The title personal assistance is mostly used for care/support work. Nevertheless, tailor your cv to highlight transferable skills and look for customer service roles. Hope that helps.

Omo when I check salary of customer service no difference with salary of care. Care earn pass customer service self.

I will just tell the person to do intensive pm courses and try to do pm intern here in uk. Cus pm salary still makes sense even more than data analyst
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 10:59pm On Feb 19, 2023
cheesy cheesy cheesy

hustla:

cheesy

Director at Tinubu Enterprises
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 11:00pm On Feb 19, 2023
Which of the PM? Project Manager or Product Management?

eniola1010:

Omo when I check salary of customer service no difference with salary of care. Care earn pass customer service self.

I will just tell the person to do intensive pm courses and try to do pm intern here in uk. Cus pm salary still makes sense even more than data analyst
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 11:33pm On Feb 19, 2023
Hello my Oga’s
I want to do car exportation biz from
Uk. Please anyone with agent links and reliable information on this. Also I check copart the prices of cars there are bit crazy (cheap) please is anyone here that has bought from that website cause some prices are just too to be true though it’s a biding thing it’s who wins the bid. Please anyone with vital information on this website should help

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:42pm On Feb 19, 2023
pheranmie:
Hello my Oga’s
I want to do car exportation biz from
Uk. Please anyone with agent links and reliable information on this. Also I check copart the prices of cars there are bit crazy (cheap) please is anyone here that has bought from that website cause some prices are just too to be true though it’s a biding thing it’s who wins the bid. Please anyone with vital information on this website should help

You want to export right hand drive vehicle's, to a country that drives on the L side ........

Think am well o ......😂😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 12:03am On Feb 20, 2023
Lexusgs430:

You want to export right hand drive vehicle's, to a country that drives on the L side ........

Think am well o ......😂😁

Definitely
This cars are convertible
Buy left side dashboard
Buy steering rack
And complete door mount you are good to go
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:32am On Feb 20, 2023
pheranmie:

Definitely
This cars are convertible
Buy left side dashboard
Buy steering rack
And complete door mount you are good to go

The sales of RHD in Nigeria, is not great...... Considering all your logistical/associated cost, it might be a business venture too far .......

But if you have done all your FS, goodluck.........

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (853) (854) (855) (856) (857) (858) (859) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.