Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,975 members, 7,821,411 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (998) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1183094 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (995) (996) (997) (998) (999) (1000) (1001) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 1:58am On May 14, 2023

The Home Office is poised to announce a ban on one-year masters students being allowed to bring family members with them to the UK, as part of the Government’s efforts to reduce net immigration.

The plans are expected to be unveiled later this month, when the latest immigration statistics are anticipated to show that net migration hit record levels in 2022, despite the Conservative Party’s pledge to slash overall immigration.

Students have been one of the main drivers of the post-coronavirus pandemic surge in migration, with almost 500,000 study visas issued by the UK authorities in 2022 — a rise of 81 per cent compared with 2019.

Students, especially those coming from Nigeria and India, have become more likely to bring family with them, with 135,788 visas granted to dependants in 2022, up from 16,047 in 2019.

The Department for Education, the Home Office and the Treasury are finalising a plan that would stop dependants from travelling with master’s students on one-year courses, according to several officials close to the discussions.

One said: “Many of these courses only last for nine months. We don’t think this will have a big effect on our ability to attract global talent.”

One minister confirmed the focus was on the dependants of master’s students, saying: “It’s clear we have to do something. We’re a long way from David Cameron’s promise to reduce annual net migration to the ‘tens of thousands’.”

The Treasury, which normally favours higher migration, has accepted the political need to restrict the number of dependants of overseas students, while Gillian Keegan, education secretary, has also agreed to the plan.

Officials close to the discussions suggested Ms Keegan approved of plans to limit the number of dependents that foreign students on one-year masters courses can bring, because some were quite clearly “taking the piss”.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 6:26am On May 14, 2023
profemebee:
does that mean if one is flying Turkish Air, one needs a transit visa to go via Istanbul to UK? even if one isn't leaving the airport?

Turkey isn’t in the EU/Schengen zone

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 6:39am On May 14, 2023
Zahra29:

Officials close to the discussions suggested Ms Keegan approved of plans to limit the number of dependents that foreign students on one-year masters courses can bring, because some were quite clearly “taking the piss”.

I know someone who came with 7 kids.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 7:21am On May 14, 2023
heroshark:

No sweetie,

I'm not belittling other people's experience. I made it clear in my post that I don't know if it's just me being lucky or if others are failing to do their homework.

For a bit of background, I don't know many Nigerians in the UK aside from the ones in my school. Many of them that I speak with don't even have a clearly defined career plan and are always open to anything, which doesn't make sense to me, really.

I mentor a lot of students, they have clear plans, the needed certs and have amazing work experience that can easily transition to tech but fail to get sponsorship and are scared to keep trying to get for the next 2 years, so they accept care (if they keep trying they may eventually get there).

We can make a bet: let’s check for jobs on indeed and see how many consider graduated students on PSV. I’ve seen countless that advise graduates not to bother applying.

What you may have done right is applied directly to a company not via a recruiter- as far as a recruiter is involved, they’ll drop someone who may need sponsorship in a heartbeat because they want the best chance at having a candidate who would get a job.

There are more small-medium tech companies (who don’t have seasoned HRs/Legals that are aware of how visas work) than bigger companies (who know but there’s more competition and recruitment is longer).

Finally, I was thrown off by your “I can’t relate” because We have badasses on this platform that are the owners of Uk and can’t remember their struggle, but they try to relate and do their best to help others. It’s always good to be kind.

I’m very happy & proud of you and wish you more wins 🥳 but pls try and teach others, let’s all win together.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 7:32am On May 14, 2023
Annual isn’t more than. 22 to 30days, the best option is as Lexus baba said, virtually kill one relative. But you can also say you want to take a break as you are having psychological issues as your wife/partner just broke up with you so you need to heal for about 2 and 1/2 months .
Phayie:

You should be entitled to annual leave. Like someone has suggested, tell your manager you need to travel for an urgent issue, then ask if you could apply for your annual leave

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ProfJYK(m): 7:40am On May 14, 2023
Jlaw1:

I really didn't want to stretch our very polite debate, hence the reason for my initial cheeky response.

However, after reading the hypothetical stats in your post, I couldn't resist the temptation of one FINAL reply on this subject matter.

I came into the UK for a teacher training program. Before the end of the program, I and all nine of my Nigerian cohorts all got sponsored teaching jobs. That's 100% of us.

In that same year, I was acquainted with about 11 Nigerian/African students in Church (please note, I'm no Church boy), who were studying different courses in IT, Engineering and Health. 8 of them got sponsored jobs before the end of their programs. That's north of 70%. .

Just want to point out that the sample you are working with is drawn largely from Roles we have already agreed to be the only ones sponsoring based on the shortage occupation matter.

Draw your sample from folks in Banking which by virtue of its being one of the highest employers of youthful labour in Nigeria and come back and tell us how many have been sponsored.

The truth remains. Healthcare, Teaching and Big Company tech are the major professional jobs sponsoring easily. The rest of them either don't want the stress, or want you to wither be extra outstanding during the recruitment (CV as well as interview brilliance) or will require you come in and be extra on the job before thinking of it.

Most (majority) of us did care as students, took PSV, have been applying while paying bills with Care and as the clock winds down, we are considering Care visa eventually.

The constant knocks we recieve no dey help.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jlaw1: 8:56am On May 14, 2023
ProfJYK:

Just want to point out that the sample you are working with is drawn largely from Roles we have already agreed to be the only ones sponsoring based on the shortage occupation matter.

Draw your sample from folks in Banking which by virtue of its being one of the highest employers of youthful labour in Nigeria and come back and tell us how many have been sponsored.

The truth remains. Healthcare, Teaching and Big Company tech are the major professional jobs sponsoring easily. The rest of them either don't want the stress, or want you to wither be extra outstanding during the recruitment (CV as well as interview brilliance) or will require you come in and be extra on the job before thinking of it.

Most (majority) of us did care as students, took PSV, have been applying while paying bills with Care and as the clock winds down, we are considering Care visa eventually.

Hi, Professor aka ProfJYK.
Your points are quite solid, to be honest. I also appreciate you sharing your own experience as well.

My response that you quoted was specifically directed towards Aphrodite007's comments. And no, she wasn't referring only to the Banking Industry in her comments. In fact, the discussion was originally about PSV generally being a scam, which some of us disagreed with.

I completely agree with you that certain industries readily offer sponsored roles than others, which I also clearly pointed out in another previous post of mine.

Since PSV specifically applies to students, I had to use the examples that I did. At the risk of repeating myself, I'd again say that for students planning to study in the UK, going for courses in Health, Teaching, IT (and certain areas in Engineering) is the best way to go if getting a sponsored job in the UK is the end goal. Having the requisite skills in these fields is also very desirable.

Studying courses in other fields (such as Banking) may or may not make getting sponsorship as easy, just as you have pointed out. In my previous post, I also alluded to some "irrelevant/useless" courses in the CONTEXT of the UK (I'm not saying Banking courses are one of them).

Anyways, keep grinding, professor J to the Y to the K. I pray it'll turn very well for you and the rest of us soonest. Please, see those 'knocks' as a source motivation. As a teacher back in Nigeria, na so dem dey knock us too, but many of us no give up.

Like one famous soldier once said at the end of World War II;
"I rest my case."

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ubom123: 1:56pm On May 14, 2023
. Who has travelled with airmaroc from Nigeria to Heathrow? What is the experience like? Too many negative reviews about this airline online…
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 3:29pm On May 14, 2023
AgentXxx:
Annual isn’t more than. 22 to 30days, the best option is as Lexus baba said, virtually kill one relative. But you can also say you want to take a break as you are having psychological issues as your wife/partner just broke up with you so you need to heal for about 2 and 1/2 months .

This sounds too cray cray 😂 Please substitute with "mental health" -semantics but better accepted/understood. E.g. I have a lot going on, need to take a bit of time out for my mental health

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Treadway: 3:50pm On May 14, 2023
ProfJYK:

you have spoken well. Despite being stubbornly and irrationally misunderstood by 'specific people' most times, I have always emphasized how having those specialized skills in those high demand jobs is a major major thing to consider. The bolded esp rings true for most of my contacts in batch 22 (as Pocohantas always puts it) as well, even tho the headbros wey dey this thread say na lie..lol.

Well what's done is done, so you gotta do what you gotta do. ILR is the goal at this juncture.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by samsmokey: 4:52pm On May 14, 2023
Can someone recommend an alternative to panda player please. The EPG download thing and buffering is killing it. Or has anyone found a way to make it auto-update the EPG?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Opsycal: 8:04pm On May 14, 2023
CheesyTee:
I used my BRP. Front and back

Okay. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by salmonp: 8:51pm On May 14, 2023
Drey1:

Hmmmn. Boss , abeg guide me wella. Am learning small small , Abeg explain to me , What are the expenses am to incur apart from paying for the car gangan. Any other thing am expected to do after that and the price for each and is it monthly payment ,I mean the insurance and the others u mentioned above.

Firstly, make sure the car has MOT by checking https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history. To get an MOT done it's a one-off fee (if the vehicle passes MOT). Insurance cost depends on the vehicle and insurance provider. I recommend entering the registration of your car on https://fullcarchecks.co.uk/ and check the Insurance group and MOT status. The higher the insurance group the more expensive your insurance will be.

13 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:12pm On May 14, 2023
Do we have anybody here, on the NIUK community twitter group........ Gbas Gbos too plenty for that forum o...... 😝🤣😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tier4Dependant: 10:57pm On May 14, 2023
samsmokey:
Can someone recommend an alternative to panda player please. The EPG download thing and buffering is killing it. Or has anyone found a way to make it auto-update the EPG?

Smarters Player
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 12:08am On May 15, 2023
🤣🤣

Lexusgs430:
Do we have anybody here, on the NIUK community twitter group........ Gbas Gbos too plenty for that forum o...... 😝🤣😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 2:50am On May 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

You mentioned that forum sometime ago which put it in my view..The Gbas gbos na back to back.[color=#990000][/color] cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:53am On May 15, 2023
Santa2:

You mentioned that forum sometime ago which put it in my view..The Gbas gbos na back to back.[color=#990000][/color] cheesy cheesy

I was on their Twitter space yesterday........ No joy at all .......

And people say joy no dey this thread...... They must be joking........😁😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 6:53am On May 15, 2023
Dear ancestors in the house,

Good day.

I want to apply for car insurance and would like to know which is more cost-effective: whether to buy the insurance with my International driving permit or to first apply for a UK provisional license.

For the preliminary insurance searches, I was seeing annual cost of £700 for a 2010 1.5L engine SUV (insurance group 17E, married, 30-40yrs). Seems quite high to me. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Tenks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 7:16am On May 15, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Good day.

I want to apply for car insurance and would like to know which is more cost-effective: whether to buy the insurance with my International driving permit or to first apply for a UK provisional license.

For the preliminary insurance searches, I was seeing annual cost of £700 for a 2010 1.5L engine SUV (insurance group 17E, married, 30-40yrs). Seems quite high to me. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Tenks.

You can simulate the results of using a provisional license by just entering that that's what you hold.

I know some insurance companies require you to enter the number but some others don't, if I recall correctly. You can also try some of those insurance marketplaces.

Enter your details and say you have provisional license, then note the figures. Open a private tab and enter your details saying you have a foreign license, then compare.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ceejay2: 8:23am On May 15, 2023
Good morning ogas in the house. I just came into UK late April. Visa was approved late February, came alone but was for my dependant Visa which delayed until early this month.

My training (HCA) is scheduled for June I hope the delays doesn't affect me when renewing my BRP or ILR because I've heard stories of home office monitoring people.

*Another thing is, my Nigerian passport would expire by September please when is the best time / month to renew.

I would be staying in Leeds, kindly assist me on how to get cheaper accommodation for family of 4 (2 bedroom flat). Also would need help navigating the city and all Vital and nonvital informations as JJC way I be.

Thanks for your responses.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by samsmokey: 9:27am On May 15, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

Smarters Player

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 9:42am On May 15, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Good day.

Tenks.

The quote you got is not wrong. Although it could be better. I paid £970 for insurance on my first car in the Uk using my Nigeria drivers license. Same 2010, automatic . As people advised, use compare website
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 9:42am On May 15, 2023
koonbey:

You can simulate the results of using a provisional license by just entering that that's what you hold.

I know some insurance companies require you to enter the number but some others don't, if I recall correctly. You can also try some of those insurance marketplaces.

Enter your details and say you have provisional license, then note the figures. Open a private tab and enter your details saying you have a foreign license, then compare.

Yeah. I tried that earlier and the site asked me to input the license number.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 9:43am On May 15, 2023
Akorkor:

The quote you got is not wrong. Although it could be better. I paid £970 for insurance on my first car in the Uk using my Nigeria drivers license. Same 2010, automatic . As people advised, use compare website

£970! Wow.

It's possible that a UK license would charge a lower premium.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 10:21am On May 15, 2023
Tinyemeka:

Good day.

Tenks.

Buy the insurance on the license you want to drive the car with. If you intend to drive with you int'l license, buy the insurance on it. If you intend to drive with provisional license, buy the insurance on it.

If you buy on the provisional license and any incident happens, your insurance is automatically invalidated if you didn't meet the requirements to drive with it (i.e being accompanied by someone and have L plates on the vehicle) and you won't be able to make any claims.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ubom123: 10:56am On May 15, 2023
Who has travelled with airmaroc from Nigeria to Heathrow? What is the experience like? Too many negative reviews about this airline online…
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Controlv: 11:28am On May 15, 2023
Tinyemeka:

£970! Wow.

It's possible that a UK license would charge a lower premium.

Premium will actually go up with a new full UK license.

I paid 986 on my international license last year December, but the premium went up to £1,500 when I updated to a full UK license last week. The best I got on comparison sites was £1,200 but I wasn't sure what the effect would be on my next premium if I cancelled the current insurance. I paid a prorated amount of about £300 for the remaining 7 months as the customer service agent refused any negotiation. I will use the comparison sites again at least 1 month to my next renewal and opt for the best rate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 11:55am On May 15, 2023
You are on point. I was paying £985 on my provisional license, immediately I passed and informed my insurance company, they added extra £900 making it £1895. I inquired why and was told I’m more at risk as a new driver cos I just passed, I then further asked who is more at risk between provisional and full license holder, their answer was that being a provisional license holder mean an experienced full license holder with at least 3 years of experience must be with you in a L labeled car when driving so you were not much at risk BUT now that you’ve passed your driving test, you would want to be driving alone hence the price… I just cancelled that their nonsense, used confused.com and got a deal of £1200…

Their wahala too much
Controlv:

Premium will actually go up with a new full UK license.

I paid 986 on my international license last year December, but the premium went up to £1,500 when I updated to a full UK license last week. The best I got on comparison sites was £1,200 but I wasn't sure what the effect would be on my next premium if I cancelled the current insurance. I paid a prorated amount of about £300 for the remaining 7 months as the customer service agent refused any negotiation. I will use the comparison sites again at least 1 month to my next renewal and opt for the best rate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deybholar(f): 11:59am On May 15, 2023
Good day everyone. Does a lost BRP with 3 months validity need to be replaced? My cousin can not find her child's BRP. she has reported it as lost, they will be switching to PSW visa in 2 months time. Is BRP a requirement for visa application/extension?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oggg: 12:12pm On May 15, 2023
deybholar:
Good day everyone. Does a lost BRP with 3 months validity need to be replaced? My cousin can not find her child's BRP. she has reported it as lost, they will be switching to PSW visa in 2 months time. Is BRP a requirement for visa application/extension?
since they will renew in 2 months and hopefully do not plan on going anywhere out of the travel area then it’s ok.
She shud have the number of the soft copy to upload when they are extending.

(1) (2) (3) ... (995) (996) (997) (998) (999) (1000) (1001) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.