Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,216 members, 7,811,602 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (997) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1170305 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (994) (995) (996) (997) (998) (999) (1000) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 13, 2023
Akhat:
I need advice please. I got an internship role in Development Engineering, to assist my employer with research on an ongoing project. My school will be the one paying my salary. The Job is for two and half months(10 weeks). The issue is that, I currently work in a care home(two nights per week). Doing the two jobs will make me exceed the 20hrs work restriction. I don't want to decline the internship role because I believe it will be good on my CV, but it's just for two and half months, neither can I quit the care job just for a short term job. God knows I need both salary. The pay on the internship is 1£ pound higher. And I have also been looking for an opening that will take me out care job.
Please how do I approach this, because I am expected to resume the internship role next week.

Please put the care job on hold and take the engineering internship.

It's a great opportunity that will hopefully ease your way into a permanent job in your field.

Make whatever sacrifices you have to.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ubom123: 7:25pm On May 13, 2023
koonbey:

True. But not NDLEA. There's an Agric export something or other agency.

Also, the airline itself refuses to carry food.

You mean airmaroc or other airlines in general?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:37pm On May 13, 2023
Akhat:
I need advice please. I got an internship role in Development Engineering, to assist my employer with research on an ongoing project. My school will be the one paying my salary. The Job is for two and half months(10 weeks). The issue is that, I currently work in a care home(two nights per week). Doing the two jobs will make me exceed the 20hrs work restriction. I don't want to decline the internship role because I believe it will be good on my CV, but it's just for two and half months, neither can I quit the care job just for a short term job. God knows I need both salary. The pay on the internship is 1£ pound higher. And I have also been looking for an opening that will take me out care job.
Please how do I approach this, because I am expected to resume the internship role next week.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to kill a dead relative, again.......

Tell your manager, that person is dead and you need to travel urgently (put care job on hold).....

Communicate with them whilst abroad......🤣

Finish internship, weigh your options ......😂😜

NB : You cannot do both, so comot 👀 for that excess £, wey your throat wan magnet.......😂👀😛😁

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 7:47pm On May 13, 2023
Focus99:
I really do not understand.

The jobs with these firms refusing to give sponsorship are they not a permanent role

If one is able to get a permanent job role do they still need a sponsorship

Wait for your reply

Thanks

Like me too I don’t get. It’s so stupid really. Say you’re lucky enough to get a perm, you’ll need sponsorship to keep working after your expiry date.

My advice is to apply to the sectors that I listed above for roles that are in the shortage list (Google Uk shortage list). They sponsor. So once you get the job, pass
Your probation then speak to your line manager to sponsor you.

Sponsorship is what you need to stay beyond your psv- either marriage sponsorship, child sponsorship or work sponsorship.

If you don’t get sponsorship, please leave the UK a day before your expiry.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akhat: 7:52pm On May 13, 2023
Thank you

steadyMoving22:

Kindly take the internship more opportunities could open up after it, plus care jobs are readily available.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akhat: 7:52pm On May 13, 2023
Thank you.

koonbey:

Please put the care job on hold and take the engineering internship.

It's a great opportunity that will hopefully ease your way into a permanent job in your field.

Make whatever sacrifices you have to.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 7:57pm On May 13, 2023
LagosismyHome:

A friend of mine said thank God in her time there was no carer visa because it would have forced her to go down this route.

Because I think the downside is you are seeing less and less of sponsorship and more and more mainly in care visa typing someone for 5 years. While in 20 years it probably won't matter because I suspect once they get ILR there would be massive japa from care job to other sector . BUT UK and the home office love such. They want to keep everyone poor....so this tying people in minimum wage job is a massive win for home office. .

I don't even know what I am ranting here but so many people are not able to work in their profession now and just tied to care which annoys me. I came in during hsmp time and that was better. Many people used hsmp and worked in their relevant field and spent 5 years growing and building ... This one they are doing now is modern days slavery jare ..... can't wait for a change in government.

I’m telling you! It’s so heartbreaking. I don’t think it’s the govt doing it entirely. I think the HR of corporate companies are lazy and scared of immigration so they don’t understand how easy it is to register as sponsors and give sponsorship. It’s seems only care homes have hacked this. So you see young intelligent vibrant Nigerians with experience in amazing sectors wasting their talent for 5 years. It’s sad

But like you said- it’s 5 years and they will leave immediately they get The ILR. I pray God gives them strength.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 7:57pm On May 13, 2023
LagosismyHome:

A friend of mine said thank God in her time there was no carer visa because it would have forced her to go down this route.

Because I think the downside is you are seeing less and less of sponsorship and more and more mainly in care visa typing someone for 5 years. While in 20 years it probably won't matter because I suspect once they get ILR there would be massive japa from care job to other sector . BUT UK and the home office love such. They want to keep everyone poor....so this tying people in minimum wage job is a massive win for home office. .

I don't even know what I am ranting here but so many people are not able to work in their profession now and just tied to care which annoys me. I came in during hsmp time and that was better. Many people used hsmp and worked in their relevant field and spent 5 years growing and building ... This one they are doing now is modern days slavery jare ..... can't wait for a change in government.

I’m telling you! It’s so heartbreaking. I don’t think it’s the govt doing it entirely. I think the HR of corporate companies are lazy and scared of immigration so they don’t understand how easy it is to register as sponsors and give sponsorship. It’s seems only care homes have hacked this. So you see young intelligent vibrant Nigerians with experience in amazing sectors wasting their talent for 5 years. It’s sad

But like you said- it’s 5 years and they will leave immediately they get The ILR. I pray God gives them strength.

I’ve missed you plenty btw ❤️❤️

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 8:00pm On May 13, 2023
Santa2:

Funny thing is that I got a call from a friend this afternoon, he is a permanent resident due to get his Canadian passport by the end of the year. He was asking what it took for a canadian citizen to relocate to the UK. I was taken aback and asked why he would want to do that, He gave a long list of reasons that were similar to reason why some people here in the uk want to go to canada. Me wey still dey put one eye for canada. Our preliminary search while still on the call showed that Canadian citizens still need sponsored visa(t2) to live and work here. Who would have known? I have come to realize that people would move across the world for various reasons , even now, there are people moving back to naija even though throngs of people are japaing from there in droves. Abeg aphrodite keep one travelling bag for me make I stowaway inside as you dey go. grin

Hahahaha! I’m telling you people have various reasons. I used to give yimu to anyone that says they’re moving from Canada to UK. In my mind I’ll be like “so wa alright ni?”

Please you’re welcome to join me anytime.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 8:06pm On May 13, 2023
hustla:

LOL, Not true especially for IT folks. One girl in my class got an IT Audit job with NHS before she even finished her 1st semester in the UK and they even allowed her to do 20 hrs with them

My friend called me today and told me he got a job with Jaguar & Land Rover this week, fully sponsored, Scrummaster role wink

Down to luck and skills sometimes sha

Sweetheart. I’m not a HR. I’m a tech sis but at my level, I recruit for the IT dept. Who between you and me should give you stats on sponsorship, especially in IT?

There’s one SM role in JLRover with sponsorship for up to 17 care roles with sponsorship..

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:09pm On May 13, 2023
Aphrodite007:

Sweetheart. I’m not a HR. I’m a tech sis but at my level, I recruit for the IT dept. Who between you and me should give you stats on sponsorship, especially in IT?

There’s one SM role in JLRover with sponsorship for up to 17 care roles with sponsorship..

OK
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 8:17pm On May 13, 2023
Akhat:

You should be entitled to annual leave. Like someone has suggested, tell your manager you need to travel for an urgent issue, then ask if you could apply for your annual leave
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 8:19pm On May 13, 2023
Jlaw1:

Hello, Aphrodite007. I am Inspector Colombo, and my preliminary investigations have shown that you never left this thread in the first place, you were simply operating with a different monicker.

Lmao! You’re cute! No I’ve not been here and I have just one moniker. Yes you made various valid points especially about previous (and most times non-existent) work experience.

However, the people that recently moved to the UK ran away from naija. We are talking about big boy with years in the industry and they can easily transition to great jobs. I’ve met project managers, bank managers, architects, and engineers, etc who are struggling to get sponsorship jobs (they get calls o, but the recruiter drops them when they realise they are on a graduate visa).

Again.. because you 3 people around you got sponsorship, doesn’t mean it’s easy to get (it’s like me saying I know rich friends, so there’s no cost of living). If they studied with 100 other Nigerians- that’s not up 10% who got sponsored by a corporate.

Anyway everyone will be fine last last. It’s just 5 years sacrifice.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 8:20pm On May 13, 2023
dupyshoo:
Why are you leaving the UK na? We will miss you.

I Will miss you people too ❤️❤️ I want to start a new adventure.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 8:21pm On May 13, 2023
deept:

She is back!

140k!!! Will you marry me?!!!

Hahaha you want to marry a divorcee? what if I was lying 😋 Don’t believe anything you see on the internent oo

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gergemam: 8:23pm On May 13, 2023
Aphrodite007:

Please come and recruit me dakun.

I be Frontend Engineer working with React, React-Native (Web & Mobile)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akhat: 8:49pm On May 13, 2023
Thanks boss. I will find an excuse to put the care job on hold. E hard to commot eye for the extra £ though.

Lexusgs430:

Unfortunately, you are going to have to kill a dead relative, again.......

Tell your manager, that person is dead and you need to travel urgently (put care job on hold).....

Communicate with them whilst abroad......🤣

Finish internship, weigh your options ......😂😜

NB : You cannot do both, so comot 👀 for that excess £, wey your throat wan magnet.......😂👀😛😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 9:04pm On May 13, 2023
thanks for confirmation...

flight to London via Istanbul usually has only one stop..

nawa.. Turkey is a unique country.. asia and europe lol

Progressivegee:

No. One doesn't need a transit visa when laying over at instabul but if the flight has 2 stops in Turkey, one at Instabul and Ataturk, which is on the European side, then a transit visa will be required for that particular stop
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:10pm On May 13, 2023
Akhat:

That 20hours is only term time..
If you are doing internship then that is not term time so I believe you can work both

If its me I would hussle both but the internships takes priority so if the time of work clashes then you call that you have fever in the care home ( don't judge me for lying but the hustle is real)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by elengine: 9:42pm On May 13, 2023
Good evening everyone. Pls is there a separate group for mortgage discussion or I can go ahead to ask any question here regrading mortgage. Pls I will like to have the link so I can join.

Cheers
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ProfJYK(m): 10:00pm On May 13, 2023
elengine:
Good evening everyone. Pls is there a separate group for mortgage discussion or I can go ahead to ask any question here regrading mortgage. Pls I will like to have the link so I can join.

Cheers

You can ask here, but sifting through replies might be hard.

That said, there is a mortgage thread. https://www.nairaland.com/7534564/living-uk-propertymortgage-related/6

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by elengine: 10:14pm On May 13, 2023
ProfJYK:

You can ask here, but sifting through replies might be hard.

That said, there is a mortgage thread. https://www.nairaland.com/7534564/living-uk-propertymortgage-related/6

Thank you and God bless.

Can someone with less than 1 Yr in uk apply for mortgage? He is on a dependent skilled worker visa and has a full time job in one of the multinational coys here.

Do I have to build my credit history or bank will be satisfied with my ability to pay looking at my current earning.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 10:35pm On May 13, 2023
Akhat:
I need advice please. I got an internship role in Development Engineering, to assist my employer with research on an ongoing project.

Take unpaid leave from the care home job.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sukkot: 10:36pm On May 13, 2023
worried222:
sukkot
You are welcomed here.
nice one boss. Much appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tomiwiyu: 11:27pm On May 13, 2023
Hello boss in the house …

I want to make enquiry on Credit Rating

I have spent 3months in UK on skilled work visa(HCA) . But still living with a family member.

I am on voter register
I have collected my Provisional license
i have done my GP registration
All on my current address .

Please how can i increase my credit rating owing to the fact that my name is not on the rent and council tax.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:42pm On May 13, 2023
Aphrodite007:

Lmao! You’re cute! No I’ve not been here and I have just one moniker. Yes you made various valid points especially about previous (and most times non-existent) work experience.

However, the people that recently moved to the UK ran away from naija. We are talking about big boy with years in the industry and they can easily transition to great jobs. I’ve met project managers, bank managers, architects, and engineers, etc who are struggling to get sponsorship jobs (they get calls o, but the recruiter drops them when they realise they are on a graduate visa).

Again.. because you 3 people around you got sponsorship, doesn’t mean it’s easy to get (it’s like me saying I know rich friends, so there’s no cost of living). If they studied with 100 other Nigerians- that’s not up 10% who got sponsored by a corporate.

I can relate with this. Just over 2 years ago, before I got my ILR, I didn't require sponsorship as I was a dependent of a British citizen but yet will not get a call back after I have revealed my visa status. Sometimes I could even sense the change in tone once they heard my voice. Obvoiusly these were just my observations so may be wrong but there was a marked difference when I eventually got my ILR.

Aphrodite007:

Hahaha you want to marry a divorcee? what if I was lying 😋 Don’t believe anything you see on the internent oo
I would marry you in a heart beat not minding if you are a "divorcee" if I was single. Na divorcee person go enjoy pass sef. You are a nice person. All the best in BC and visit us o. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jlaw1: 11:56pm On May 13, 2023
Aphrodite007:

Yes, I'm cute. But I'm also very handsome. I'm serious. Drop dead gorgeous. Tall, long hair, fair skin, yup, that's me cool If you think I'm joking, just ask the ladies in Kent.

I like chasing goddesses like you, but my heart already belongs to your beautiful friend called LagosismyHome. And I don't want two friends fighting on top my head cheesy

Let me warn you though. Beware of those guys proposing to you here. They are gold diggers who are after that your £140k per annum income grin

All the best in your new journey.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akhat: 12:07am On May 14, 2023
We just finished our first semester exams, but but the school has said we won't be going on holidays, rather we will commence our dissertation and then resume second semester in september. And they stated clearly that the summer period is not a holiday period, therefore we not to work more than 20hrs.

LagosismyHome:

That 20hours is only term time..
If you are doing internship then that is not term time so I believe you can work both

If its me I would hussle both but the internships takes priority so if the time of work clashes then you call that you have fever in the care home ( don't judge me for lying but the hustle is real)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akhat: 12:10am On May 14, 2023
I just started the job less than 2 months ago. I don't know if I am entitled to annual leave yet, but I will find out.
Thank you much for the advice

Phayie:

You should be entitled to annual leave. Like someone has suggested, tell your manager you need to travel for an urgent issue, then ask if you could apply for your annual leave
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ProfJYK(m): 12:15am On May 14, 2023
Akhat:
We just finished our first semester exams, but but the school has said we won't be going on holidays, rather we will commence our dissertation and then resume second semester in september. And they stated clearly that the summer period is not a holiday period, therefore we not to work more than 20hrs.

I can relate.

But then, whatever sacrifice you have to make, pls do only the internship. A combination of earned annual leave and unpaid leave should get you covered for the 10 weeks. The internship is valuable as well as the need to not breach the 20hour rule
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akhat: 12:31am On May 14, 2023
Thank you very much, I really appreciate.

ProfJYK:

I can relate.

But then, whatever sacrifice you have to make, pls do only the internship. A combination of earned annual leave and unpaid leave should get you covered for the 10 weeks. The internship is valuable as well as the need to not breach the 20hour rule
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Jlaw1: 1:26am On May 14, 2023
Aphrodite007:

I really didn't want to stretch our very polite debate, hence the reason for my initial cheeky response.

However, after reading the hypothetical stats in your post, I couldn't resist the temptation of one FINAL reply on this subject matter.

I came into the UK for a teacher training program. Before the end of the program, I and all nine of my Nigerian cohorts all got sponsored teaching jobs. That's 100% of us.

In that same year, I was acquainted with about 11 Nigerian/African students in Church (please note, I'm no Church boy), who were studying different courses in IT, Engineering and Health. 8 of them got sponsored jobs before the end of their programs. That's north of 70%. This made me encourage my brother to come into the UK on a study Visa last year and he too has gotten a sponsored role (and he hasn't even finished his program yet).

This has been my personal experience. I'm not as familiar with the experiences of the "big industry" boys as you are, so it's possible there are things you know that I don't. Anyways, I'm sure that there are nuggets of truth in what both you and I, and everyone else has written. Perhaps, therin lies the beauty of this thread.

I do agree with you on one thing. Becoming successful in getting one's preferred sponsored job should never make one believe that it should/must be easy for everyone else. Our life paths are not always the same.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (994) (995) (996) (997) (998) (999) (1000) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.