Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,724 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? (4481 Views)

Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? / Coronavirus: Why Are Western Countries Evacuating Their Citizens From Nigeria? / My Letter To Nigerians Living And Studying In Western Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by ENG0701: 9:12am On Sep 02, 2021
From my observation, food, internet, cars, power are cheaper in western countries. The only thing I think is cheaper in Nigeria is rent.

4 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by willsonzzy: 9:22am On Sep 02, 2021
When I see people complaining about nigeria
I just laugh,abeg try come ghana you go see
Apart from 24hr electricity nothing dey here
If you no get two years rent advance forget am one bedroom apartment is 700cedis a month
Even the light self 100cedi is for 5days with ac and refrigerator on
Forget ghana if you no get money

3 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Gerrard59(m): 9:32am On Sep 02, 2021
ENG0701:
From my observation, food, internet, cars, power are cheaper in western countries. The only thing I think is cheaper in Nigeria is rent.

But we've someone here say his boss in Australia was shocked that house rents in Lekki and environs can outrightly purchase a property in parts of Australia. Besides, if we're to agree house rents are cheaper in Nigeria compared to western countries, we've to remember that the quality in the west supercedes Nigeria's. Also, the amenities in the surrounding area are superior or at least available in the west than Nigeria. Thus, value for money which translates to Nigeria having higher rents than the west.

Yet some blockheads were criticising the woman in the UK who tweeted having spent over a million on food when she was in Nigeria.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:34am On Sep 02, 2021
willsonzzy:
If you no get two years rent advance forget am one bedroom apartment is 700cedis a month
Ghana is a child's play compared to Gabon. You will run mad if you go there. Small bottle coke 400 naira.

2 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by descarado: 9:35am On Sep 02, 2021
Which one is more higher
Mbok
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Lostchild(m): 9:51am On Sep 02, 2021
hahn:

Same here bro.

Even if you cannot go to Europe there are better African countries you can relocate to especially if you are a programmer, web designer, affiliate marketer, blogger etc.

Countries like Ghana, Gabon, Senegal, Kenya, SA etc all have constant electricity, affordable high speed internet and limited inflation.

If you earn in dollars and convert to their local currency you will really get value for your money and it is easier to get to non African countries from there.

Naija is only getting worse mehn

I will even prefare South Africa because less air pollution and their weather.

Anyway, thanks for the info

2 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Nicoswit(m): 10:32am On Sep 02, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Ghana, Gabon and Senegal are like 4 times more expensive than Nigeria. You need a very high income to survive in Ghana or na starvation levels you dey look likewise Gabon and Senegal. The only cheap place on that list seems to be Kenya at least from my research online but Ghana and Gabon I don personally go I wouldnt advise anyone to try it.
Do you have an idea on Uganda?
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:37am On Sep 02, 2021
Nicoswit:

Do you have an idea on Uganda?
Na
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Lostchild(m): 11:17am On Sep 02, 2021
willsonzzy:

Ghana is not a western country and is more expensive than Nigeria since day 1

1 Like

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by hammed71(m): 12:35pm On Sep 02, 2021
Lostchild:

Ghana is not a western country and is more expenssive than Nigeria since day 1
so in short all African states are the same

1 Like

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Rictech: 2:34pm On Sep 02, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

My own is Nigerians that live abroad that will still be lying to Nigerians about bills. Those people are satanic. I work with westerners and they save so much money they pay much less for everything. Electricity nko. Prepaid Meter gulps at least 50k every month with no light and I have to top it up with gen which I buy fuel 1500 daily. 100k on just electricity every month. My German colleague was shocked when I told him I spend 200 USD equivalent on electricity and it's still not constant for me.
You can imagine. Spending $200 a month in Nigeria and dealing with poor internet connection & noise pollution. Make baba God make our dream come through make person port, I absolutely detest noise pollution

2 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:46pm On Sep 02, 2021
Rictech:

You can imagine. Spending $200 a month in Nigeria and dealing with poor internet connection & noise pollution. Make baba God make our dream come through make person port, I absolutely detest noise pollution
As in eh that's electricity o. As for the internet, I have spectranet, smile, and airtel because they can Bleep up anytime and no excuses at my workplace say internet no work.

1 Like

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by oliverwrites: 3:09pm On Sep 02, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

My own is Nigerians that live abroad that will still be lying to Nigerians about bills. Those people are satanic. I work with westerners and they save so much money they pay much less for everything. Electricity nko. Prepaid Meter gulps at least 50k every month with no light and I have to top it up with gen which I buy fuel 1500 daily. 100k on just electricity every month. My German colleague was shocked when I told him I spend 200 USD equivalent on electricity and it's still not constant for me.
Honestly I regret coming to this thread, landed here from Google cos I want to prove my wife wrong and now I am leaving depressed.

I have never ever in my life thought food is more expensive in Nigeria than Western world. Was just telling someone I spend 45k a month on generator. And 15k ( 25k if the weather is hot and we really use AC ) not to talk of food.

Something has to give in this country. It is getting tiring.

5 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by oliverwrites: 3:18pm On Sep 02, 2021
hahn:

Same here bro.

Even if you cannot go to Europe there are better African countries you can relocate to especially if you are a programmer, web designer, affiliate marketer, blogger etc.

Countries like Ghana, Gabon, Senegal, Kenya, SA etc all have constant electricity, affordable high speed internet and limited inflation.

If you earn in dollars and convert to their local currency you will really get value for your money and it is easier to get to non African countries from there.

Naija is only getting worse mehn
Goosh this is thread and every comments here is heart breaking.

To be sure you people are not making up numbers I asked my oyinbo client, and the answer is heart breaking.

Her 5kg chicken is 7GBP. Ours is 17 ( almost 18 ) GBP and I am sure their weigh gauge is better than ours.

I spent roughly 200 pounds on internet and Electricity ( and it is not 24 hours ) she spends 140 pounds on both for 24 hours light, uncapped internet with faster speed.

I can't believe this.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by oliverwrites: 3:22pm On Sep 02, 2021
hahn:

Jump and pass Ghana then grin

I've stayed briefly in Cotonou sha and I can say it is way better than Nigeria.

Good roads, cheap food, cheap housing, constant electricity, stable economy, cheap beer and cigarettes �
Cotonou is cheaper, hands down. I am partly Beninese and lived them for many many years as a child, lived there for one year as an adult and have relatives there can confidently say it is cheaper.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Gerrard59(m): 3:27pm On Sep 02, 2021
Lalasticlala,

What do you think?
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by otokx(m): 4:34pm On Sep 02, 2021
The issue with Nigeria is greed and corruption, a farmer will harvest plantain and sell to a Market woman for 1000 in bush market who will now resell to Market woman in the town for 2000 and then it may reach the final consumer for 3000.

4 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Petyprincess(f): 4:53pm On Sep 02, 2021
Rictech:
The 3 basic things of life(food, clothing & shelter) is really expensive here, not only food, but one can't do without food & shelter(a house built some 10 to 15years ago will be competing in rent with houses built within the last 2 years , landlord using cost of building materials as an excuse)
Food is really expensive here, our locally produced foods are also expensive. A framer who produces Garri from his/her farm will tell you pam oil is expensive or that herdsmen doesn't allow them to go to farm.
Look at 390naira(39ruppee) tomatoes in Mauritius as shared by petyprincess . See how fresh and cheap it is, in my local market, a neatly packed tomato like this will be around 600naira
I bought this chicken for 57 rupees which is 570 naira
1 litre of oil for 54 rupees which is 540 naira
Things are expensive in Nigeria o

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:18pm On Sep 02, 2021
Petyprincess:

Jesus. 540 naira won't even get you chicken from tantalisers. Chei

2 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Davidganna10: 6:12pm On Sep 02, 2021
And the funny thing is among the three basic things in life (food, clothing, house) food is the most important. Many people do without housing even in the western world and I haven't seen any mentally stable person not clothed.

It is heart breaking to see how food which is suppose to be the cheapest necessity of man become the hardest to get in a country where majority of
the edibles are harvested.

I made a research some time ago and found out that, rice has gone up %2000 in the last 20 years in Nigeria, so you see what we are facing in this country and worst part of the whole thing is, it is going up still.

3 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by hahn(m): 6:28pm On Sep 02, 2021
oliverwrites:
Goosh this is thread and every comments here is heart breaking.

To be sure you people are not making up numbers I asked my oyinbo client, and the answer is heart breaking.

Her 5kg chicken is 7GBP. Ours is 17 ( almost 18 ) GBP and I am sure their weigh gauge is better than ours.

I spent roughly 200 pounds on internet and Electricity ( and it is not 24 hours ) she spends 140 pounds on both for 24 hours light, uncapped internet with faster speed.

I can't believe this.

Me sef off bro undecided
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by hahn(m): 6:30pm On Sep 02, 2021
oliverwrites:
Cotonou is cheaper, hands down. I am partly Beninese and lived them for many many years as a child, lived there for one year as an adult and have relatives there can confidently say it is cheaper.

And it is not just about being cheap it is also about price stability. You'll be surprised that they pay the same amount for a tin of milk today, for example, like they were paying 10 years ago or even more whereas we pay more than 100% for things within a 6 month to two year period at least.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by hahn(m): 6:32pm On Sep 02, 2021
hammed71:

Seems like it.

A friend was telling me how he used to but one cow lap.for $1.5 equivalent in Ecuador. E off me undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Gerrard59(m): 10:01pm On Sep 02, 2021
otokx:
The issue with Nigeria is greed and corruption, a farmer will harvest plantain and sell to a Market woman for 1000 in bush market who will now resell to Market woman in the town for 2000 and then it may reach the final consumer for 3000.

So, greed - a driver behind capitalism and an integral part of humans - is behind high food prices not marauding Fulani herdsmen destroying farmlands in Benue, Taraba, Ogun, Plateau etc., and closure of borders?

1 Like

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Gerrard59(m): 10:01pm On Sep 02, 2021
hammed71:

The white man wasn't wrong when he says Africa is a country.

1 Like

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by hahn(m): 10:14pm On Sep 02, 2021
Gerrard59:

So, greed - a driver behind capitalism and an integral part of humans - is behind high food prices not marauding Fulani herdsmen destroying farmlands in Benue, Taraba, Ogun, Plateau etc., and closure of borders?

Greed comes first bro.

I remember when I was in primary school and could buy a plate of food with N2. With N20 I was a big boy then.

Now nko?

I used cut my hair for N50 that year.

Now nko?

7up was N7 at a time.

Now nko?

Nigerians are unnecessarily greedy. For real

3 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Rictech: 10:17pm On Sep 02, 2021
Petyprincess:

It is more expensive to live in Nigeria, who no go no go know...
I went to the market this evening, I bought the palm oil for 1200 naira and the groundnut oil for 800naira

3 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:55pm On Sep 02, 2021
hahn:

Greed comes first bro.

I remember when I was in primary school and could buy a plate of food with N2. With N20 I was a big boy then.

Now nko?

Now nko?

7up was N7 at a time.

Now nko?

So haircut should still be 50 naira. The barbers will all die na.

1 Like

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by hahn(m): 11:17pm On Sep 02, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

So haircut should still be 50 naira. The barbers will all die na.

The point is things go up for no reason and it has always been so.

I remember when I used to live in Lagos price of bus fare from Oshodi to Cele Ijesha was N50 but when it rains all of a sudden they start charging as much as N500 for the same distance.

Now imagine a woman who went to buy Foodstuff for her restaurant from Oshodi meets this sudden increase she will have to add the excess funds to her plate of food to recover her money.

Now the same bus driver and conductors will want to eat food and discover that the price for a plate of food is now, for instance, N500 instead of N200.

That is an example of the Nigerian greed at work

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:28pm On Sep 02, 2021
hahn:

The point is things go up for no reason and it has always been so.

I remember when I used to live in Lagos price of bus fare from Oshodi to Cele Ijesha was N50 but when it rains all of a sudden they start charging as much as N500 for the same distance.

Now imagine a woman who went to buy Foodstuff for her restaurant from Oshodi meets this sudden increase she will have to add the excess funds to her plate of food to recover her money.

Now the same bus driver and conductors will want to eat food and discover that the price for a plate of food is now, for instance, N500 instead of N200.

That is an example of the Nigerian greed at work
Fuel costs havent remained the same. Why should transport costs be static?
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Gerrard59(m): 11:28pm On Sep 02, 2021
hahn:

Greed comes first bro.

Now nko?

Now nko?

7up was N7 at a time.

Now nko?

So, greed is the reason why there is no constant power supply to ensure proper storage? Why the Nigerian economy's growth rate is not outpacing the birth rate? So, when marauding Fulani herdsmen ransack farmlands in Plateau and Benue (predominately agrarian states) making hitherto farmers now refugees in their ancestral lands, food prices reduce but greed which is a human trait is the reason for high food prices? Greed, not Buhari's actions at border closure (lasted for more than a year) when demand for food was way beyond supply is the reason for the hike in food prices?

You people deserve high food prices and Buhari! You lots have not seen anything yet, by 2023, you will be forced to eat sand!
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Lostchild(m): 11:54pm On Sep 02, 2021
hahn:

Greed comes first bro.

Now nko?

Now nko?

7up was N7 at a time.

Now nko?

Greed has finish Nigeria. embarassed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Call To Nairalanders In The Us / Please Suggest A Hotel Close To USA Embassy Lagos / Nigeria Free Visa To FIJI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.