Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,779 members, 7,817,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? (4507 Views)

Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? / Coronavirus: Why Are Western Countries Evacuating Their Citizens From Nigeria? / My Letter To Nigerians Living And Studying In Western Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Anabelle85: 2:23am On Sep 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Absolutely I saw this when I first went to Italy. I couldn't believe it. We pay more for food than this people and earn really less. It's not just food sef other goods and services. We pay more for internet here in Nigeria for really shit quality compared to our western counterparts. Even rent is more expensive depending on where you live. An office rent space in Nigeria in places on the island is more expensive than equivalent places in the west.

Absolutely disagree with you. I am right now in Madrid-Spain, ordered a meal from my hotel and the bill was 45€ that's over 25k for just one meal. My friend pay 800€ monthly in his apartment that's 450k monthly. Lots of Africans begging on the streets here, not always rossy at the other side.
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:44am On Sep 03, 2021
Anabelle85:

Absolutely disagree with you. I am right now in Madrid-Spain, ordered a meal from my hotel and the bill was 45€ that's over 25k for just one meal. My friend pay 800€ monthly in his apartment that's 450k monthly. Lots of Africans begging on the streets here, not always rossy at the other side.
That's a hotel meal. Enter a supermarket and buy stuff. Food is much cheaper compared to Nigeria. 450k comes down to around 5 million yearly. There's lots of apartments in Lekki, vgc and co that cost that amount or even more and you definitely can't compare the amenities in Spain to the ones in Lekki. For instance, the water that comes out of the tap in Lekki is yellow.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by hahn(m): 11:02am On Sep 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Fuel costs havent remained the same. Why should transport costs be static?

I don't think we are on the same page.

Gerrard59:

So, greed is the reason why there is no constant power supply to ensure proper storage? Why the Nigerian economy's growth rate is not outpacing the birth rate? So, when marauding Fulani herdsmen ransack farmlands in Plateau and Benue (predominately agrarian states) making hitherto farmers now refugees in their ancestral lands, food prices reduce but greed which is a human trait is the reason for high food prices? Greed, not Buhari's actions at border closure (lasted for more than a year) when demand for food was way beyond supply is the reason for the hike in food prices?

You people deserve high food prices and Buhari! You lots have not seen anything yet, by 2023, you will be forced to eat sand!

You are blaming Buhari whereas I blame every single Nigerian sinfe 1960.

Nigeria will always keep getting worse. The same way people look back at GEJ's era and say it the better is the same way we will look back at Buhari's era and say it is better because it always keeps getting worse.

And Nigerians love celebrating nonsense

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:25am On Sep 03, 2021
hahn:

I don't think we are on the same page.

You are blaming Buhari whereas I blame every single Nigerian sinfe 1960.

Nigeria will always keep getting worse. The same way people look back at GEJ's era and say it the better is the same way we will look back at Buhari's era and say it is better because it always keeps getting worse.

And Nigerians love celebrating nonsense

Gbam. Nigeria of today is a paradise to what is coming. I am just glad I am not married.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by hahn(m): 1:07pm On Sep 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Gbam. Nigeria of today is a paradise to what is coming. I am just glad I am not married.

I am married o undecided

I need to get my wife and kid out of here asap angry

3 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by RodgersAkpafu: 1:24pm On Sep 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Ghana is a child's play compared to Gabon. You will run mad if you go there. Small bottle coke 400 naira.
Liberia has to be the worst
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by RodgersAkpafu: 1:28pm On Sep 03, 2021
Gerrard59:

The white man wasn't wrong when he says Africa is a country.
...... more like the african experience is the same
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:36pm On Sep 03, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Liberia has to be the worst
I forgot this place too. Very hopeless shithole country.
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Rick9(m): 1:50pm On Sep 03, 2021
I don't understand why food (which should have beent most affordable commodity in life) is very expensive.
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Limassol(m): 3:26pm On Sep 03, 2021
ENG0701:
From my observation, food, internet, cars, power are cheaper in western countries. The only thing I think is cheaper in Nigeria is rent.
Even that of rent is debateable: nearly 90% of what we call cities in Nigeria are actually slums - shanty neigbourhoods, no sewage system, unsafe/unavailable tap water, bad roads, lack of gas heating in homes, bad power supply,dirty,unorganised and hostile yet expensive.

6 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Limassol(m): 3:29pm On Sep 03, 2021
Gerrard59:

But we've someone here say his boss in Australia was shocked that house rents in Lekki and environs can outrightly purchase a property in parts of Australia. Besides, if we're to agree house rents are cheaper in Nigeria compared to western countries, we've to remember that the quality in the west supercedes Nigeria's. Also, the amenities in the surrounding area are superior or at least available in the west than Nigeria. Thus, value for money which translates to Nigeria having higher rents than the west.

Yet some blockheads were criticising the woman in the UK who tweeted having spent over a million on food when she was in Nigeria.
Absolutely on point. Exactly what i've been talking about.
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Limassol(m): 4:08pm On Sep 03, 2021
Anabelle85:

You probably lodged in an expensive hotel thus €45 for a meal isn't suprising. Just to be clear a meal in a normal resturant in Madrid cost just €12, cooking is even cheaper where food items could be dirt cheap: a full frozen chicken could be gotten for just €3, diary products are cheap too, where 1lt of milk is not even up to 1€.

1 Like

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Angelacruz: 4:34pm On Sep 03, 2021
Dat means tins r very expensive in Nigeria
tensazangetsu20:

Jesus. 540 naira won't even get you chicken from tantalisers. Chei
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:10pm On Sep 03, 2021
Angelacruz:
Dat means tins r very expensive in Nigeria
Yes o. Terrible
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Lostchild(m): 9:46am On Sep 06, 2021
hahn:

I am married o undecided

I need to get my wife and kid out of here asap angry

If it is possible, try Canada or Australia

I foresee ww3
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by hahn(m): 9:47am On Sep 06, 2021
Lostchild:

If it is possible, try Canada or Australia

I foresee ww3

Canada - Too many Nigerians undecided

Australia - Too many wild animals

I'm thinking more of Europe or South America
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Lostchild(m): 9:53am On Sep 06, 2021
hahn:

Don't go to america
Don't go to Europe because ww3 is coming

Believe my word
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Nicoswit(m): 9:59am On Sep 06, 2021
Lostchild:

Don't go to america
Don't go to Europe because ww3 is coming

Believe my word
Asia?
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Lostchild(m): 10:36am On Sep 06, 2021
Nicoswit:

Asia?

Dont go there

Canada and australia is the only safe haven

2 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Lostchild(m): 11:21am On Sep 06, 2021
Nicoswit

In 2011 I told a lady to shurn buhari.
I told her that buhari is of the devil.
I told her that, because of buhari, suffer and hunger will increase
I told her that buhari is an instrument of destruction to Nigeria.
I told her buhari will destroy Nigeria
I told her buhari victory is to unleash bloodshed in Nigeria

She hated me as I told her what is ahead in 2011.
She saw me as Inmature.
She hated me because of her love for buhari

Right now her life is more worse than mine.

She has no hope
I still have hope

1 Like

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by RodgersAkpafu: 11:33am On Sep 06, 2021
hahn:

What is wrong with many Nigerians living in Canada ?
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by hahn(m): 11:45am On Sep 06, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

What is wrong with many Nigerians living in Canada ?

Eventually they'll infect the place.

My thoughts

2 Likes

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by RodgersAkpafu: 12:16pm On Sep 06, 2021
hahn:

Eventually they'll infect the place.

My thoughts
They wont
That's my thoughts too.
Canada sieved through the quality of Nigerians they let in

If you are talking of Dubai, UAE, then yea, they mess things up because of the calibre of people that were let in (riff raffs and no do wells)
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by hahn(m): 1:46pm On Sep 06, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

They wont
That's my thoughts too.

If you are talking of Dubai, UAE, then yea, they mess things up because of the calibre of people that were let in (riff raffs and no do wells)

Well Canada is better than Nigeria either way
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Bifwoli: 5:49pm On Sep 06, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

They wont
That's my thoughts too.

I've seen Nigerians here apply for several credit cards ,they go buy big ticket items-fridges,washers ,top notch generators and then abscond back to Nigeria without paying back a dime.Some guy named Chukwu actually made it on national TV for his crimes.

But i've also met very upright well good character accomplished types who are professionals here in Birmingham. Those are the ones i hang out with.
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Originalsly: 3:44am On Sep 07, 2021
If you import meat ... why wouldn't the price be much higher? When I see the price of yam in Nigeria .... should I be shocked to see the same yam wayyyyy more expensive in the US? What is the price of a dozen organic eggs in Lagos?

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 07, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

That's a hotel meal. Enter a supermarket and buy stuff. Food is much cheaper compared to Nigeria. 450k comes down to around 5 million yearly. There's lots of apartments in Lekki, vgc and co that cost that amount or even more and you definitely can't compare the amenities in Spain to the ones in Lekki. For instance, the water that comes out of the tap in Lekki is yellow.

So true.

Back when 1 Euro was 210 Naira, 50 Euros (10500 Naira) would feed one person for a whole month as it could get you Two Whole chickens, 10 XL Tin Tomatoes, 3KG rice, 3KG Spaghetti, Spice and Ingredients, Fruits (which are bloody cheap), Bread, Water etc.

Today 50 Euros is over 30k naira and funny enough it would still feed you the same way as before, out there. Such wouldn't be the case in Naija.

5KG wheat used to be 1000+ naira in Mercadona supermarket. With the currency change, its 3000+.

In Nigeria, its over 10k for 5KG wheat

1 Like

Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by RodgersAkpafu: 9:40am On Dec 20, 2021
Limassol:
Even that of rent is debateable: nearly 90% of what we call cities in Nigeria are actually slums - shanty neigbourhoods, no sewage system, unsafe/unavailable tap water, bad roads, lack of gas heating in homes, bad power supply,dirty,unorganised and hostile yet expensive.
True that
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 20, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Jesus. 540 naira won't even get you chicken from tantalisers. Chei
Was about to say this,even in fast food joint you won't get that chicken for 1k . if I don't leave next year only God know what will happen..
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by Nobody: 10:35am On Dec 20, 2021
Originalsly:
If you import meat ... why wouldn't the price be much higher? When I see the price of yam in Nigeria .... should I be shocked to see the same yam wayyyyy more expensive in the US? What is the price of a dozen organic eggs in Lagos?
2700# is one crate here might be high in some areas thou how much is this you're holding..?
Re: Is Food Price More Higher In Nigeria Than In Western Countries ? by dasparrow: 5:43pm On Dec 20, 2021
Food is so affordable where I live especially vegetables, chicken, fruits, pasta, etc. Cost of living overall is moderate where I live. You don't have to be rich to be comfortable. Electricity and water supply stable. I pray Nigeria gets it right someday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Romanian Visa Info Needed / Dual Citizenship? Nigerian Born In America Questions / Germany Student Visa Likely Question On Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.