Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million (10297 Views)

National Assembly Severance Package To Gulp N2.8bn / I Won’t Attend Jonathan’s Inauguration, By Buhari / More Street Killing Planned - FG Uncovers Plot To Derail Jonathan’s Inauguration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by forkadict(m): 11:13am On May 24, 2011
@ Geniro.
First, baba e ati iya e, wherever they are, awon ni oloshi.
Second, I feel you signed up on NL to pick fights with people and thereby ignorantly display your foolishness for the whole world to see. Or how do you explain after only 20 posts, you insult someone whose post wasn't even directed to you in the first instance? But guess what maggot, i havent got time for your pettiness and bellicosity. I am a busy dude. Get that straight you beach!
Third, going by the disgusting content of your post, I conclude you were born and bred in the gutter in one of the numerus slums in naija. Your faulty upbringing explains your ill manners but i kinda understand.
Fourth, I leave you with a piece of advice.Do the whole world a favor and go drink a gallon of Hydrochloric acid. NOBODY will miss you. Trust me on that. Not even your family members. Cockroach!
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by naso2(m): 12:27pm On May 24, 2011
yeye sahara reporters
yeye thread
yeye posters.

Not even the explanation of the SGF can help them see properly. so so complain.

i hope say una get work sha?
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Kobojunkie: 1:41pm On May 24, 2011
babasoty:

1 week programme, 15 head of states to cap it off----830 million----not bad ,

What about a simple "get on with it" like the British? Why do we need to copy the US, whose inauguration ceremonies are built on TRADITIONS out there that are not ours? Why do we need to spend a Billion on this?
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Seun(m): 1:43pm On May 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

What about a simple "get on with it" like the British? Why do we need to copy the US, whose inauguration ceremonies are built on TRADITIONS out there that are not ours? Why do we need to spend a Billion on this?
Exactly. Why do we need to copy rich countries? We should be frugal so we can catch up.
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by agabaI23(m): 1:52pm On May 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Makes sense, however we pretend to copy their presidential system, so we copy everything.
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Kobojunkie: 1:56pm On May 24, 2011
agabaI23:

Makes sense, however we are we pretend to copy their presidential system, so we copy everything.

Oh Please . . . there are so many democracies out there you can compare what we have implemented so far to but the US democracy is DEFINITELY not what we have a copy of anymore. We have modified it to the point that we cannot call it a copy of US democracy anymore. Even the simplest of laws and rights that applies here does not seem to matter in Nigeria( not even sure we have em anymore). So, I do not see such restrictions as the one you claim.
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by agabaI23(m): 2:10pm On May 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Oh Please . . . there are so many democracies out there you can compare what we have implemented so far to but the US democracy is DEFINITELY not what we have a copy of anymore. We have modified it to the point that we cannot call it a copy of US democracy anymore. Even the simplest of laws and rights that applies here does not seem to matter in Nigeria( not even sure we have em anymore). So, I do not see such restrictions as the one you claim.
That is the reason why I said, 'we pretend' or you probably did not see that.
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Kobojunkie: 2:17pm On May 24, 2011
OK . . . . what I am saying is we stop deluding ourselves/stop pretending and stop spending blaming it all on democracy.

Even this Naira 1 billion charade is not democracy's fault. Our politicians are spendthrifts and that is the problem.
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 24, 2011

hmmm---and a simple get on with it like the British *which you just added* won't be copying right------funny.

you talk about tradition, okay please tell me which democratic handover in Nigeria hasn't been done in like manner as this one.--- babe this is our tradition.
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Kobojunkie: 3:12pm On May 24, 2011
babasoty:

hmmm---and a simple get on with it like the British *which you just added* won't be copying right------funny.

you talk about tradition, okay please tell me which democratic handover in Nigeria hasn't been done in like manner as this one.--- babe this is our tradition.

You mean the "get on with it" now belongs to the British?

hhm . . . . How many democractic handover's have you had so far that has NOT BEEN to copy the american model?
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 24, 2011
Its okay folks, stop stabbing yourselves over this matter. Its N850 million, not N5 billion.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-674599.0.html
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by 702: 3:22pm On May 24, 2011
sighs ok
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by virtual78: 3:23pm On May 24, 2011
Just read it on Punch Online, 1billion? What exactly are we celebrating? The same administration handing over to itself? why not make it low-key in respect to those that lost their lives during the election? Why don't we use this opportunity to tell the world that we are different, compensate the corpers family even more,what about the other victims? are they Sudanese? Do they not deserve some compensation too, although no amount of compensation can replace a life, what leaves a bad taste in the mouth , is the sheer waste of money, why 40 presidents? Fresh AIR? more like NORMAL AIR, nothing changes peeps, get used to it
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On May 24, 2011
virtual78:

Just read it on Punch Online, 1billion? [b]What exactly are we celebrating? The same administration handing over to itself? why not make it low-key in respect to those that lost their lives during the election? Why don't we use this opportunity to tell the world that we are different, compensate the corpers family even more,what about the other victims? [/b]are they Sudanese? Do they not deserve some compensation too, although no amount of compensation can replace a life, what leaves a bad taste in the mouth , is the sheer waste of money, why 40 presidents? Fresh AIR? more like NORMAL AIR, nothing changes peeps, get used to it

Good idea too!
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Johndoe100(m): 3:28pm On May 24, 2011
virtual78:

Just read it on Punch Online, 1billion? What exactly are we celebrating? The same administration handing over to itself? why not make it low-key in respect to those that lost their lives during the election? Why don't we use this opportunity to tell the world that we are different, compensate the corpers family even more,what about the other victims? are they Sudanese? Do they not deserve some compensation too, although no amount of compensation can replace a life, what leaves a bad taste in the mouth , is the sheer waste of money, why 40 presidents? Fresh AIR? more like NORMAL AIR, nothing changes peeps, get used to it

Because this is a HISTORIC event. This is the [b]FIRST [/b]administration headed by someone from the south south. We are celebrating the further entrenchment of our democracy, the beginning of the next phase of our democracy.

Anyone who is opposed to this is just an unreasonable hater and is best ignored. I am personally surprised that the celebrations are so low key. I thought it would be bigger and include events in the south south., but GEJ is a low key person.
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Kobojunkie: 3:33pm On May 24, 2011
The Administration closing on May 29th, headed by the same south south someone, was a sham?

ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Johndoe100(m): 3:38pm On May 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

The Administration closing on May 29th, headed by the same south south someone, was a sham?

ROFLMAO!!!

No and I am sure you know that GEJ was completing the term he was elected to with Musa Yar'dua. This is OUR MANDATE!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 24, 2011
You mean the "get on with it" now belongs to the British?

hhm . . . . How many democractic handover's have you had so far that has NOT BEEN to copy the american model?

ohhh lest i forget---- when the queen was handing over to our leaders in 1960 and it was still done in this same manner---- we were still copying the Americans right,

This is our style, our way, our own democratic tradition since we started practising it
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by virtual78: 3:45pm On May 24, 2011
Because this is a HISTORIC event. This is the FIRST administration headed by someone from the south south. We are celebrating the further entrenchment of our democracy, the beginning of the next phase of our democracy.

Historic Events:
OBJ handing Over to Shagari (over to Fela)
Abdulsalam Handing Over to OBJ (of which na scope)
GEJ handing over to GEJ wetin historic for that one

I think you are right here too , the beginning of the next phase of our democracy., LOOTING
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On May 24, 2011
Johndoe100:

No and I am sure you know that GEJ was completing the term he was elected to with Musa Yar'dua. This is OUR MANDATE!!!!!!

No, I do not know. That is not what the constitution has it as. Yar adua lost the term and so Goodluck Jonathan got it. There is NO SUCH THING as completing the term of a governor -- once you are in, you are in and you go on until the cycle is up. Please read your constitution to understand that this is not about people owning terms and what nots.
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On May 24, 2011
babasoty:

ohhh lest i forget---- when the queen was handing over to our leaders in 1960 and it was still done in this same manner---- we were still copying the Americans right,

This is our style, our way, our own democratic tradition since we started practising it

What the heck?? ROFLMAO!!! . . . grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Bawss1(m): 3:55pm On May 24, 2011
virtual78:

Because this is a HISTORIC event. This is the FIRST administration headed by someone from the south south. We are celebrating the further entrenchment of our democracy, the beginning of the next phase of our democracy.

Historic Events:

I think you are right here too , the beginning of the next phase of our democracy., LOOTING

See analysis. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by virtual78: 3:59pm On May 24, 2011
No, I do not know. That is not what the constitution has it as. Yar adua lost the term and so Goodluck Jonathan got it. There is NO SUCH THING as completing the term of a governor -- once you are in, you are in and you go on until the cycle is up. Please read your constitution to understand that this is not about people owning terms and what nots.

GBAM,   cool
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 24, 2011
What the heck?? ROFLMAO!!! . . .
[/quote

u neva start ----

Abeg kobo lef matter--- first it was the 5 billion naira story, now its copying----babe its called a swearing in ceremony if you don't dig it nobody stop you to-----ROFLYAO,
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by sweet9ja: 5:43pm On May 24, 2011
@DivideUs, I don't trust politicians but, I also don't believe every garbage that I read, especially when it's from SR.

Sahara Reporters is a junk news outlet and should be seen as such.
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by MeGaStReEt: 10:33pm On May 24, 2011
Quote from: Donlittle on Today at 01:15:01 AM
guy i swear your a bastarrd, big one, u dey craze, we should not complain?
5 billion naira??
just the way gej, spent billions on independence day on a failed state??
are u fucckiiing serious??
wow, your a fool
your prob in china selling weed and cocaine
dnt worry you will soon be hanged

Wetin dey worry this Donlittle? you smoke dry shitt  Na your fada, moda, your brothers and sisters, all your fada girlfriends and your mother boyfriends be BASTARDDDD.  you kiss crace? na me you wan dey follow nack teeth, infact your full life! e-diot
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Demdem(m): 8:30am On May 25, 2011
SR Speaks: We Challenge The Jonathan Government To Tell Us: "What Is The Full Cost Of Jonathan’s Presidential Inauguration?"

On May 22, we published a report that the federal government was set to squander an incredible N5 billion (about $32 million) on next Sunday’s inauguration of Mr. Goodluck Jonathan as president.

Our story was penned in the best interests of Nigeria. As evidence of this commitment, we are taking issue with yesterday’s announcement, by Mr. Yayale Ahmed, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) who also chairs the Presidential Inauguration Committee (PIC), that the event will consume N1 billion.

Now, N1billion is no small change.  N1 billion, properly and responsibly deployed, can change the fortunes of several communities and institutions in Nigeria. There is tremendous constructive power, therefore, in N1 billion.

If that were all that the government budgeted for the inauguration, it should raise concerns. An inauguration, in the end, is neither the government nor governance: it is an oath-taking ceremony in which photos are taken and speeches may be made. It is a dignified ceremony, but does not have to be an obscenely expensive one.

But information available to SaharaReporters reveals that the federal government will spend about N5 billion on what is essentially a few minutes of formality.

The SGF told the press: "N830 million is the cost of the 2011 presidential inauguration ceremonies. The initial budget was N1.3 billion and was later reduced to N830 million. However, it may reach N1 billion at the end of the day and I will want you, as journalists, to follow it up for proper auditing and accountability."

SaharaReporters, which was not invited to yesterday’s event, is not that presumptuous to believe that yesterday’s press briefing was in response to its original story.  But we do know that the federal government is not in the habit of briefing the press about events of this nature especially when it had previously used the Nigerian Tribune to reveal that it had planned to spend N500 million on the event a week before.

Perhaps, then, a new day of accountability has dawned.  If that is the case, we suggest that in order to demonstrate its commitment to full disclosure, the government publish the full budget for the inauguration.

In our original story, we wrote as follows: “Presidency sources told SaharaReporters that apart from the series of committees set up by the Office of the SGF, the president's office and that of the First Lady also have their different budgetary expenses for the event.”

The SGF did not contradict this. In the interest of Nigeria, we urge him to disclose the budgets for those “offices,” along with that of the PIC.

In our view, Nigerians deserve to know what is being spent on security, such as the brand new bullet proof vehicles being bought for heads of state and governments and other dignitaries who are invited to the event. The SGF said about 40 heads of state were invited, and it is correct to assume that preparations have been made for all of them even though they may not all attend. We believe that Nigerians deserve to know the cost of new bomb-detection equipment, as well as the expenditure on the Israeli and American security experts and their crew that are being flown in.

Mr. Yayale told the press yesterday that the ministerial sub-committees set up for the inauguration include venues; utilities and souvenirs; football match; musical/cultural festival and fireworks; security; publicity; presidential speeches; swearing-in; accommodation; protocol and airport reception; and finance.

Still left out are the exorbitant expenditures for a flower-filled church service whose bill to the taxpayer will approach a hefty N63 million. How much more will go for the Islamic prayer service planned for Friday? The SGF must disclose that amount as well.

The SGF also confirmed, as we indicated in our original story, that the inauguration will last one week, and include a presidential special session with the youth in Lagos; dinner for Corporate Nigeria, also in Lagos; an exhibition and unveiling of the President's portrait at the Shehu Musa Yar’Adua Centre; and the First Lady's banquet for women.

With due respect, we object strongly to this approach.  An inauguration is simply an induction into office, the formal transfer of power to an individual; it need not be a costly long-running festival nor a series of open-ended events organized into convoluted books and chapters. This is particularly important in an administration which ought to be conscious of the need to demonstrate credibility, accountability and THRIFT from the first moment.  We do not see  a portrait, for instance - more appropriate to royalty - has become a critical inauguration item.  In fact the First Lady’s planned lavish banquet sets a worrying tone. The President, once empowered, ought to be stepping into the challenge of his job, not stepping out for photo ops in his party attire.

Finally, we wish to remind the Jonathan administration that the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria does not recognize an office of the First Lady.  A “First Lady” is not elected because her husband has been elected.  The “First Lady” is simply a social and unofficial title which needs no budget, no structures, no duties, and no pay.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/sr-speaks-we-challenge-jonathan-government-tell-us-what-full-cost-jonathan%E2%80%99s-presidential-

Yayale, up to u,
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Johndoe100(m): 8:41am On May 25, 2011
virtual78:

Historic Events:

Well we are from the SS, for us it's historic. If you don't like it go hug a transformer.

@demdem
You are just confused, we are celebrating, if you and sahara reporters like cry rivers of tears, we will celebrate before we get down to business.

BAD BELLE - NA WE WIN NA WE WIN O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Johndoe100(m): 8:45am On May 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

More bad belle - GEJ is not a governor so he completed the term of Yar'adua. It does not matter what you think We are happy, go hide under your bed while we celebrate, hug a transformer whatever , just let us celebrate in peace. We will get back to you lot after the hangover clears.
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by Demdem(m): 8:50am On May 25, 2011
Johndoe100:

Well we are from the SS, for us it's historic. If you don't like it go hug a transformer.

@demdem
You are just confused, we are celebrating, if you and sahara reporters like cry rivers of tears, we will celebrate before we get down to business.

BAD BELLE - NA WE WIN NA WE WIN O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are most likely a spendtrift in your real life no doubt. No one is asking you not  to celebrate but at what cost, we are only asking your man to be truthfull and accountable, This he hasn't. Is that too much to ask ?
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by geniuscity: 2:30pm On May 25, 2011
Why are so many people on nairaland so shallow-minded? Complains everywhere to any government-spending related posts and threads. Invitations have been sent to 40 head of states of 40 different countries. How much do you think will go into security? Millions. We remember what happened the last time on independence day? Somebody suggested here that government should be using such money to bulid low-cost homes free for people. Is this country "freetown" Even the best economies in the world does not build free homes for its citizens. We should support this government to provide the necessary basic amenities and development desperately needed in this country and not complain about the money to be spent on Inauguration. Go and google how much Obama spent on his inauguration, his visit to India and other government engagements.
Re: Jonathan's Inauguration To Gulp N5 Billion, Church Service N63 Million by queensmith: 5:36pm On May 25, 2011
Some people think they know everything, do you guys know how much income is generated from those events?? How much tourism ,tv rights, international recognition ,the likes??
How much is the Nigerian government going to MAKE off this nuiscance of a party? You think they spent millions on the prince's wedding for nothing?? Can you imagine the influx of tourists, commercial activities and television rights for it??
Dont be ignorant ,let me tell you the biggest difference between us, the british and american governments KNOW what they are doing, the Nigerians obviously don't! Kmt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin / No Plan To Remove Subsidy Now - Federal Government Insists / Osinbajo: How We Drafted APC Manifesto In 2014 Focusing On Social Investments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.