Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,014 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! (4338 Views)

Port Harcourt Areas That Belong To Ijaws!! Photos!! / No Matter How Much Igbos Show Love To Ijaws They Will Still Betray Us~pictures / Amaechi Leaked Tape: Ibim Semenitari Admits Voice Belongs To Minister, Explains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by bobowaja(m): 12:31pm On Sep 07, 2021
The issue of opobo and bonny people should be laid to rest. It belongs to the Ijaws.

First before you shout Yoruba awedu eating afonja, you should understand I am a full blooded Yoruba man. No need to remind me.

Secondly, I love history and I won't like seeing revisionists articles flying everywhere on the forum.

To the matter. I think ijaws are to be blamed for this flaw. They broke the first rule of survival which is self preservation.

There is something called acculturation in their culture. It is an act of baptizing of stranger into their folds. And in this case, pepple house, which was the ruling house.

Opobo was acculturised into Ijaw way of life and made to benefit from the house inheritance.

According to town culture, heritage is not by birthrights but by who is capable to rule the house. Jaja was capable, though there was a in-house civil war when he was made to rule the house, but he won decisively. This marks the beginning of his exploits.

The Ijaws followed him as their ruler. And during the palm oil boom (palm oil also known and red oil). Jaja has already taken control of the water ways and creeks for trading with the Europeans (his sagacity and business acumen can't be overruled). This sole act gave him some form of monopoly over the new trade in the creeks, he was the sole exporter to the UK in rivers while still maintaining holds on who trades what along the water ways with other European countries. He was wealthy so does the city he built from the ijaw followers.

A source from premiumtimes: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/155532-general-minimah-opobo-ancestry-burden-history-eric-teniola.html

This will later put him into trouble with the Queen, as the UK was so greedy to the extent that she wanted to trade directly with the merchants which they did after sentencing jaja to banishment in Accra (present day Ghana). Jaja himself was instrumental in conquering Ashanti forces (but let's not deviate from the topic).

The palm oil boom brought about large numbers of Igbo in the hinterlands into bonny (it must be corrected that though some were slaves but most Igbos that came during the oil boom were free born not slaves). They came with their cultures and way of lives in such numbers that threatened the indigenous people. Instead of ijaw to take control, they decided to hide some vital part of the community from them like languages etc... But this backfires as Igbo became the largest spoken language in the area in just matter of years (the indigenous people also adopted the language).

Another source (oral interview): http://asirimagazine.com/en/opobo-chronicles-from-genesis-to-revelation/

It should be noted that this is not the first time indigenous people will adopt other people's language, clothings, names and other cultural values. Example is Akoko Edo in present day Edo state. Most of the towns and villages are very fluent in Yoruba language, they adopted the Yoruba language and some part of cultures. Even some of their towns have Yoruba names, but they are not Yoruba - they are edoic group. Another example is ijaw in present day ondo state. Most of them speak Yoruba fluently and adopt the names, typical one is Omoyele Sowore.... He is an ijaw man who could be mistaken for a Yoruba man. Apart from those, there are some far Edo towns in etsako east local govt like okpella etc that have Yoruba names and also speak the language fluently, that doesn't make them Yoruba. The current ruling house in Ilorin all bears Yoruba name and speak Yoruba fluently, that doesn't make them Yoruba... They are Fulanis! The itsekiri adopted their clothings from Bini, that doesn't make them one.

The point I am trying to make here is that, people adopting your language, name and culture doesn't change them from who they were... Their identities will still remain intact as their genetical makeup.

Even an heavily biased igbodefender blog here admitted one truth which agreed to heavy migration of Igbo to the ijaw owned town.

Source: https://igbodefender.com/2016/05/16/more-facts-emerge-that-opobo-and-bonny-people-are-mostly-igbo/

To that boy that said he wanted to cry when he heard people speaking Igbo fluently in bonny, you have tears in your eyes. Language is for communication. If bonny is located in the north, they will speak Hausa fluently. In Southern Kaduna alone, there are more than 20 tribes. All of them speak Hausa but still retain their cultural identities.

I am done. You are opened to bash me, but make sure you bring evidences of opposing views. Insults alone won't do the trick.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Oksman(m): 1:07pm On Sep 07, 2021
Baseless article.
Are you the spokesman for the ijaws? So the Europeans who migrated to the Americas are no longer Americans? I can go on and on. I am neither pro nor contra but your presentation is watery. Humankind is a product of migration. Even your Yoruba tribe came from Egypt as your oral history portrays, so saying that the Ijaws are non natives in Ondo is nothing but fallacy. They are indigenes of the land and you can't drive them away.
Bonny belong to Ijaws, but the area occupied by ijaw in Ondo belongs to Yorubas, listen to yourself.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by forgiveness: 1:08pm On Sep 07, 2021
Hmm!
Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by UCyril: 1:08pm On Sep 07, 2021
Bonny is a mixture of igbo and ijaw simple. The decendance of the igbo merchants in those days are igbos

3 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Abohboy: 1:16pm On Sep 07, 2021
UCyril:
Bonny is a mixture of igbo and ijaw simple. The decendance of the igbo merchants in those days are igbos

Thank you this statement alone should put the rest of the conversation to rest, Igbos depended either on Brass or Bonny to trade with the Europeans so it's only natural that they set up base there and even tried to conquer parts of these areas so it's no surprise that Bonny and Brass both have sizeable Igbo populations

4 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by TarOrfeeek: 1:17pm On Sep 07, 2021
grin

Ondo belongs to the Ijaws too.

But the Yorubas are marginalising the Ijaws in their own state of Ondo.

Maybe due to the Fulani treatment in Illorin.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by bobowaja(m): 1:19pm On Sep 07, 2021
Oksman:
Baseless article.
Are you the spokesman for the ijaws? So the Europeans who migrated to the Americas are no longer Americans? I can go on and on. I am neither pro nor contra but your presentation is watery. Humankind is a product of migration. Even your Yoruba tribe came from Egypt as your oral history portrays, so saying that the Ijaws are non natives in Ondo is nothing but fallacy. They are indigenes of the land and you can't drive them away.
Bonny belong to Ijaws, but the area occupied by ijaw in Ondo belongs to Yorubas, listen to yourself.
You don't need to cry. With all my facts you said they were baseless but you brought nothing except your own biases to the table.

I never said Ijaws are not land owners in Ondo state. The state is a political creation just as itsekiri and okun were carved out of yorubaland to other states.

I am just setting the facts right cos the way your kinsmen were going over the issues, you will soon campaign to take over. There are numerous threads on this already... Laying claims to what is not theirs.

3 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by BKayy: 1:21pm On Sep 07, 2021
"Men (Ndigbo, Fulani, Ijaw) fight, Women (Afonjas) tell the story"
The case of Ubani and Opobo have been done and dusted two days ago, so Afonja move along.
Facts have overwhelmed hear say. Ubani and Opubo are bona-fide Ndigbo.
Find other things to gossip about @ Afonja OP

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by bobowaja(m): 1:21pm On Sep 07, 2021
TarOrfeeek:
grin

Ondo belongs to the Ijaws too.

But the Yorubas are marginalising the Ijaws in their own state of Ondo.

Maybe due to the Fulani treatment in Illorin.
How do you guys process your readings? Where and where did I said Ijaws are not land owners in Ondo state? As far as I know, ondo state is a political creation just like every other states in the country.

I guess you just wanted to deviate as to avoid the main topic grin

3 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by bobowaja(m): 1:23pm On Sep 07, 2021
BKayy:
"Men (Ndigbo, Fulani, Ijaw) fight, Women (Afonjas) tell the story"
The case of Ubani and Opobo have been done and dusted two days ago, so Afonja move along.
Facts have overwhelmed hear say. Ubani and Opubo are bona-fide Ndigbo.
Find other things to gossip about @ Afonja OP
Petty as usual grin

In the face of overwhelming evidences, u all crawl on ur knees cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Nobody: 1:27pm On Sep 07, 2021
bobowaja:

How do you guys process your readings? Where and where did I said Ijaws are not land owners in Ondo state? As far as I know, ondo state is a political creation just like every other states in the country.

Please stop wasting your time with this things. Have been to Bonny before, all this talks of Bonny and Opobo been part of Igbo land starts and end on the internet. You will never hear of such a talk from the people of Bonny.

5 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 07, 2021
bobowaja:

You don't need to cry. With all my facts you said they were baseless but you brought nothing except your own biases to the table.

I never said Ijaws are not land owners in Ondo state. The state is a political creation just as itsekiri and okun were carved out of yorubaland to other states.

I am just setting the facts right cos the way your kinsmen were going over the issues, you will soon campaign to take over. There are numerous threads on this already... Laying claims to what is not theirs.

How was Itshekiri carved? They were part of the old Midwest via referendum.

1 Like

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Ngorbungor(m): 1:29pm On Sep 07, 2021
bobowaja:

Mr man what's your problem, you are neither Igbo nor Ijaw, is like you having sleepless nights since 2days ago

8 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by bobowaja(m): 1:32pm On Sep 07, 2021
Cc

funkybroyouknow
IDeyNL
RobbStark
Perfectbeing
isokomarine
theInterpreter
DubaiLandLord
dvdwed
WesternOligarch
Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by bobowaja(m): 1:33pm On Sep 07, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
Please stop wasting your time with this things. Have been to Bonny before, all this talks of Bonny and Opobo been part of Igbo land starts and end on the internet. You will never hear of such a talk from the people of Bonny.
Na wa for this land grabbers. They actually share something in common with the Fulani they love to hate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by bobowaja(m): 1:34pm On Sep 07, 2021
kmcutez:

How was Itshekiri carved? They were part of the old Midwest via referendum.
Against their will. Olu of warri sued to challenge why they were carved out of the west to Midwest.
Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Nobody: 1:37pm On Sep 07, 2021
bobowaja:

Na wa for this land grabbers. They actually share something in common with the Fulani they love to hate.
If you have been to some of the Ijaw towns in Ondo state, you will never know they are ijaws unless they tell you or see the full names of the communities.

They speak Yoruba, dress like Yoruba, have Yoruba names etc. I've never seen Yorubas claiming them before.

1 Like

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 07, 2021
Ngorbungor:

Mr man what's your problem, you are neither Igbo nor Ijaw, is like you having sleepless nights since 2days ago
Your Igbo brothers from Anambra, Enugu, Abia, Imo and Enugu no let us rest for the past 2-3 days, chooking their mouth for Rivers state. A state that have stop been part of the East since the 60's.
Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Pass11: 1:38pm On Sep 07, 2021
Abohboy:

Thank you this statement alone should put the rest of the conversation to rest, Igbos depended either on Brass or Bonny to trade with the Europeans so it's only natural that they set up base there and even tried to conquer parts of these areas so it's no surprise that Bonny and Brass both have sizeable Igbo populations

Oga stop talking nonsensical nonsense

Does this people look and speak like ijaw to you? Watch this video to the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q22f9HXmw7Y

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by bobowaja(m): 1:38pm On Sep 07, 2021
Ngorbungor:

I like setting the record straight. I have seen a lot of lies flying about for the past few days, especially of that boy that wanted to cry cos people spoke Igbo. If Yoruba should start claiming lands, we will claim Edo with Bini sef cos we own their obaship. But we see beyond that. Those are people with different cultures. The only thing we share with Bini is the obaship and as for the citizens, they are not Yoruba.

That Oba of Bini have Yoruba ancestors doesn't mean his kingdom belongs to us. Same fallacy you guys want to pull on bonny cos jaja had Igbo bloodline.

2 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by BKayy: 1:38pm On Sep 07, 2021
Abohboy:

I told you that your aim with those your Aboh and Igbo threads was to get inside Ndigbo and destroy us from the inside.
The process was to get some credibility from Ndigbo so that when you strike like you just did, no one will see it coming but like God had it, I was around to expose your plan on time.

Now back to the matter, can you prove that Ndigbo depended on Brass people in any form? Be it Igbo of Ubani or others (don't give me that Bonny crap).
All voyages and trades were recorded by the Captains. Look for the one that will favour you and bring it out. Any recorded trade by the Portuguese and British that refutes Igboness of Ubani or potrayed the two (Igbo of Ubani and Brass) in terms where Igbo depended on Brass People.
I am waiting for you

11 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 07, 2021
bobowaja:

Against their will. Olu of warri sued to challenge why they were carved out of the west to Midwest.

SMH. Just one man that might have been coerced. Meanwhile the citizens voted overwhelmingly for Midwest Republic.

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Pass11: 1:41pm On Sep 07, 2021
BKayy:

I told you that your aim with those your Aboh and Igbo threads was to get inside Ndigbo and destroy us from the inside.
The process was to get some credibility from Ndigbo so that when you strike like you just did, no one will see it coming but like God had it, I was around to expose your plan on time.

Now back to the matter, can you prove that Ndigbo depended on Brass people in any form? Be it Igbo of Ubani (don't give me that Bonny crap).
All voyages and trades were recorded by the Captains. Look for the one that will favour you and bring it out. Any recorded trade by the Portuguese and British that refutes Igboness of Ubani or potrayed the two (Igbo of Ubani and Brass) in terms where Igbo depended on Brass People.
I am waiting for you

Sha I said it before that the is not Igbo, that guy is not Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 07, 2021
If it concerns igbo and ijaw fight please count me out. The best thing is to watch from afar. We Yoruba's rarely involved ourselves in the matters of others.

And lastly no inch of Ondo state belongs to any ijaw group, they're simply ancestors of pirate migrants.

1 Like

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by bobowaja(m): 1:42pm On Sep 07, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
If you have been to some of the Ijaw towns in Ondo state, you will never know they are ijaws unless they tell you or see the full names of the communities.

They speak Yoruba, dress like Yoruba, have Yoruba names etc. I've never seen Yorubas claiming them before.
I know them. Even Omoyele Sowore is a typical example. Most of them have absolved Yoruba culture, and Yoruba never lay claimed to them in anyways. I was shocked someone was crying because people spoke Igbo, so they are automatically one of you. Na wa o

3 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by BKayy: 1:42pm On Sep 07, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

Because Yoruba is not as ancient as Ndigbo.
Yoruba is a recent creation (few Centuries ago). So they lack the authority to draw people who were not originally part of the creation unlike Ndigbo that have existed as a unique group for centuries.

11 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by bobowaja(m): 1:42pm On Sep 07, 2021
kmcutez:

SMH. Just one man that might have been coerced. Meanwhile the citizens voted overwhelmingly for Midwest Republic.
Bring your evidences that itsekiri voted massively to leave the West. I guess you won't except some screenshots about warri.
Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 07, 2021
BKayy:

Because Yoruba is not as ancient as Ndigbo.
Yoruba is a recent creation (few Centuries ago). So they lack the authority to draw people who were not originally part of the creation unlike Ndigbo that have existed as a unique group for centuries.
grin

When did the Jews migrated from Israel to Igbo land? grin

4 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Pass11: 1:43pm On Sep 07, 2021
BKayy:

Now back to the matter, can you prove that Ndigbo depended on Brass people in any form? Be it Igbo of Ubani or others (don't give me that Bonny crap).
I am waiting for you

We will continue to give them fact and figure grin cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by BKayy: 1:44pm On Sep 07, 2021
Pass11:

Sha I said it before that the is not Igbo, that guy is not Igbo.
They are no longer Igbo. Unlike Ijaw, Bini and Yoruba that make their bad intentions about Ndigbo known on time, these half and half people seek to totally destroy and reduce Ndigbo to shreds from the inside.
I know them. I know their ways and tricks.

9 Likes

Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by bobowaja(m): 1:44pm On Sep 07, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
Your Igbo brothers from Anambra, Enugu, Abia, Imo and Enugu no let us rest for the past 2-3 days, chooking their mouth for Rivers state. A state that have stop been part of the East since the 60's.
One was even crying cheesy
Re: Bonny Belongs To Ijaws! by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 07, 2021
bobowaja:

Bring your evidences that itsekiri voted massively to leave the West. I guess you won't except some screenshots about warri.

Does it mean there were no Itshekiri in Warri during that period? When did they migrate there?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone / Senate President,david Mark,leads With Wide Margin / New PDP BoT, Ahmadu Ali Likely To Emerge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.