Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,246 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Black Smoke From Exhaust. - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Black Smoke From Exhaust. (18708 Views)

Black Smoke From Exhaust Pipe / Black Smoke From The Tailpipe Of Toyota Camry - Help / Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by fabienjoe: 9:35pm On Sep 12, 2021
Originakalokalo:

My car smokes black only when accelerating but stops afterwards.

It burns oil too. However, everything else is fine. It fires well.

Any remedy? Can anything be done?

Or should I just change the engine?

When a car releases black smoke, it is said to burn rich..which means it is using more petrol for a given mass of air. It's not conforming to the stoichiomeric ratio. This is usually caused by defects in the system that controls the fuel/air ratio. That could be a host of things. It's most likely a sensor or injector problem - Mass Airflow Sensor or Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, Coolant Tenperature Sensor, Oxygen Sensor, etc. The sensors should be checked for functionality and continuity. The car needs to be scanned to identify which of them is the culprit. The oil consumption is likely unconnected with the black smoke. Oil consumption should actually lead to blue, not black smoke. Cars, can however consume oil without visible blue smoke. It must be added that many engines consume oil to some extent during normal operations. It's normal if it's within certain limits. However, excessive oil consumption must be checked out. Some may recommend switching to thicker oil but the solution lies in engine rebuild (mainly replacing the Piston rings). This usually comes with mixed results. The lasting solution is the replacement of the engine.

1 Like

Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by Shanid(m): 9:39pm On Sep 12, 2021
hollas2jnr:

The quality of the rings your mech buys would determine how long the engine would run afterwards... Most of them would buy low grade china version to save more money. If he can buy the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) rings, you'll be fine.
thank you so much sir, where can one get this apart from ladipo market
Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by Originakalokalo(m): 9:58pm On Sep 12, 2021
I thank everyone for your comments.

I will do as advised.

God bless you all.
Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by nedekid: 12:31am On Sep 13, 2021
Bad fuel air mixture. Usually when or is rich ie too much fuel not burnt. It equals to high fuel consumption.
02 sensor, mass air flow, clogged or leaking nozzles even a blocked catalytic converter etc may cause it.
I think you should get your car scanned to determine which one.
Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by hollas2jnr(m): 3:14am On Sep 13, 2021
Shanid:
thank you so much sir, where can one get this apart from ladipo market
You can get in touch with this man - gazzuzz (08033910382)... he's here on nairaland too; knows better and should be of help.

1 Like

Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by PediakAuthor: 6:17am On Sep 13, 2021
Many things can contribute to this issue...
- The viscosity of your engine oil matters alot; check if it's watery, light, or due for a change...
- Check the conditions of the piston rings...
- Also, after putting those two in place, then change your spark plugs...
- You can also change the oil filter...
- Also, (if your car is jacking once in a while...) depending on the injection system of your car, then you can service the nozzles or change them all... sometimes, dirt or foreign materials in fuel can block the nozzle outlets, thereby affecting the firing systems of the engine...
By Jawolusy
Originakalokalo:

Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by xamodans: 6:34am On Sep 13, 2021
Check your injector, get it serviced or change it if need be
Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by GindoX(m): 7:22am On Sep 13, 2021
CXLVII:
Wind shield wipers

Once they are dirty, you start seeing black smokes.

Ahhh! Lols
Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by Originakalokalo(m): 8:27am On Sep 13, 2021
xamodans:
Check your injector, get it serviced or change it if need be

Thanks.

I did that already. Same story.
Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by Nobody: 8:29am On Sep 13, 2021
Change the "air flow" sensor

Originakalokalo:

Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by fm7070: 8:48am On Sep 13, 2021
Black smoke is as a result of excessive fuel. Check your carburetor/injector or your air flow meter. I

Blue/grey smoke occurs when there is oil leakage into the cylinder as a result of weak ring.

You can run computer diagnosis if either does not work.

Come back and share your testimony

1 Like

Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by Ten06(m): 9:46am On Sep 13, 2021
Car smoking as a result of oil consumption will bring whitish smoke, black smoke is as a result of valve that are not well fitted in the top cylinder, and a situation like that can make your spark plugs to perform badly whereby affecting the combustion
Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by dc23(m): 12:02pm On Sep 13, 2021
BLUE SMOKE means oil is burning, which also means engine compression is low.

BLACK SMOKE means fuel is not been burnt completely in engine, mostly because enough oxygen isn't getting into the fuel mix, check your air filter or turbo charger.

1 Like

Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by kaymart: 9:38pm On Nov 03, 2021
lummysolutions:
My brother, go and buy a product of lubcon call DEFENDER and thank me later.
So, what's the solution...will he have to replace the fuel injector? I have similar issue
Pls answer... thanks....
Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by kaymart: 9:39pm On Nov 03, 2021
dudutrends:
Your Fuel Injector is probably the problem..
So, what's the solution...will he have to replace the fuel injector? I have similar issue
Pls answer... thanks
Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by Ochiske(m): 10:17pm On Nov 05, 2021
Check your Temperature Sensor and 02 Sensors downstream first.
Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by vacettetommy(m): 5:51pm On Feb 27, 2022
Originakalokalo:

How did you eventually solve the issue, I’m facing the dilemma of bad gas mileage
Re: Black Smoke From Exhaust. by Originakalokalo(m): 6:40pm On Feb 27, 2022
vacettetommy:

How did you eventually solve the issue, I’m facing the dilemma of bad gas mileage

I changed the engine.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bad Roads Made Sales At Nigeria's Largest Auto Market To Drop By 92% (PHOTOS) / Toyota To Unveil The New RAV4 At The New York Auto Show / 5 Vehicle Parts That Are Easily Damaged By Potholes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.