Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. (10558 Views)

Man Fries Garri Wearing Suit To Protest High Level Of Unemployment In Nigeria / After Many Years Of Unemployment, I Finally Got A Job, BUT... / Imo Records Highest Rate Of Unemployment As NBS Releases Statistics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by wallay77(m): 5:23pm On Sep 16, 2021
fake stat
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 16, 2021
Your opinion is valid, OP.

Mine: The govt should put more efforts into birth control.

1 Like

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by leunseyis(m): 5:24pm On Sep 16, 2021
This article with the above one has same message
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by Standing5(m): 5:24pm On Sep 16, 2021
High level of unemployment and and large scale poverty is illogical.
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by dangoteinlaw: 5:32pm On Sep 16, 2021
Elsueno:
"The government should do dis, do dat"

First Nigerians should stop breeding out kids like it's some sort of an achievement, it doesn't matter how gud a policy is, if it can catch up to population growth!

This applies to all Nigerians, Small money person go just marry & start making babies...is dat our only purpose in life!. D reason it's so evident in d north is dis useless Almajiri system where they can just throw kids away to d public without any consequences.

Despite d incompetence & overwhelming corruption of d leaders, things won't be dis bad if our population is well controlled maybe around 70-80 million.
an average Nigerian think they are better than those with less numbers of kids.

6 Likes

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by FreeStuffsNG: 5:32pm On Sep 16, 2021
There are many problems but, in my opinion, the main problems are

1. high birth rate(our population rate increases faster than our GDP, meaning some folks are having children they expect government to train) ,

2. most folks don't read deep mental thinking stuff. They prefer to read just the social media contents and datsall! If you don't read then you are not renewing your mind.

Here's a free collection of over 1000 practical business ideas, take and read ,after all, it is free! https://www.nairaland.com/6666800/looking-business-ideas-money-fund

Readers are leaders and leaders make impact. Having many children hoping that government will raise them for you is irresponsibility.

The 3rd worse culprit is the addiction to the social media which breeds idleness and now horrible character flaw in both conduct and writing ( some graduates writings are riddled with multiple spelling errors and poor construction of sentences). Money without character is not sustainable. If you have a habit of scamming or/and insulting others online, it will eventually destroy you.

Scamming others can make you rich for a short while, it won't make you wealthy and you will still end in penury las las.

Anyone who can break away from these 3 problems is already a winner!

FreeStuffsNG

2 Likes

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by Omoluabi16(m): 5:35pm On Sep 16, 2021
othermen:
You're spot on. Unemployment has rendered our so called labour laws useless. Why wouldn't they cut salaries when people would still jump at the 'mouth watering' position.

1 Like

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by SirWhiteFish: 5:36pm On Sep 16, 2021
It's everywhere
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by seyz91(m): 5:37pm On Sep 16, 2021
The part of "more POS boots, Slippers and Singlets Vendor on our Timeline" got me laughing myself out which is nothing but the truth though

Naija is long gone to the dogs

Our old polithiefians are not ready to adopt all the long epistle you write here

Sadly all they interested in is election, campaign, getting to a post to loot public office and enrich their lives and family, sending their kids to study abroad and generation yet unborn thereby leaving the public they meant to serve at Abject poverty!
damoneymag:
High unemployment rate: My opinion

Current unemployment rate in Nigeria as at quarter 4 2020, stands at 33.3% according to the Nigerian bureau of statistics NBS. This simply means more than half of our working population which stands at 69.7millions persons are either outrightly doing nothing of working jobs that can not guarantee their daily survival in this hostile economy of ours. This unemployment rate is an all time high and Nigeria is only second to Namibia when it comes to unemployment.

I don't think this information should come as a surprise to anyone in his/her right senses. But the baffling thing about thing is, the government have chosen to play the ostrich and engaging in cosmetic approach to solving this menacing problem.

The fact remains our educational system and curriculum, are tailored to create job seekers not job creators. A Nigerian graduate after national service, is totally clueless on how to survive without a nine to five job. Hence we see all kinds of mediocre businesses spring up here and there that end up folding up after a year or two.

There has to be a deliberate, purposeful and sincere move to root out this menacing giant from our society before it brings it to it's knees. There should be a total rejig and overhaul of our Academic curriculums, tailored uniquely to prepare young people and equip them with requisite skills needed to survive outside the four walls of a classroom.

Entrepreneurship and skill acquisition should be taught from secondary up to tatiary Level of education. It should be made compulsory in WAEC and the exams should be exhibition based and not theory based. Every student upon graduation from secondary school should have a vocational skill, as well as an IT skill. By IT I don't mean how to turn on and off a computer as we are seeing today, I mean graphics, coding, hacking and to mention but a few.

The government should establish well equipped IT centers were secondary school student spend minimum of 3months a year, learning an IT skill. The school calendar should be designed to incorporate industrial training and skill acquisition. And this centers should be provided by the government.

Our subject should be tailored uniquely to solve our problem and not spending years studying things that have zero real life applications or relevance in today's society. Until then, more POS boots will keep spring up here and there and singlets and boxers vendors, will keep flooding our timeline on social media.

1 Like

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by olioxx(m): 5:44pm On Sep 16, 2021
The truth is Nigeria is gone. We have lost it totally.
There are some things called infrastructure that must be put in place. Even if there are jobs but the infrastructure is not there or enabling, it is in vain.
Our problem in Nigeria is numerous, but the major problems dragging this country down are:
1. Corruption: It is gotten so crazy right now, there should be laws against this shit.
2. Inadequate Power Supply: In my area we do average of 6hrs per day, 1 hr in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 3-4 at night.
3. Insecurity
4. Poor Transport Network
5. Shattered Educational System.
To move out of Nigeria is a necessity now.

8 Likes

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by bluefilm: 5:45pm On Sep 16, 2021
damoneymag:
High unemployment rate: My opinion

Current unemployment rate in Nigeria as at quarter 4 2020, stands at 33.3% according to the Nigerian bureau of statistics NBS. This simply means more than half of our working population which stands at 69.7millions persons are either outrightly doing nothing of working jobs that can not guarantee their daily survival in this hostile economy of ours. This unemployment rate is an all time high and Nigeria is only second to Namibia when it comes to unemployment.

I don't think this information should come as a surprise to anyone in his/her right senses. But the baffling thing about thing is, the government have chosen to play the ostrich and engaging in cosmetic approach to solving this menacing problem.

The fact remains our educational system and curriculum, are tailored to create job seekers not job creators. A Nigerian graduate after national service, is totally clueless on how to survive without a nine to five job. Hence we see all kinds of mediocre businesses spring up here and there that end up folding up after a year or two.

There has to be a deliberate, purposeful and sincere move to root out this menacing giant from our society before it brings it to it's knees. There should be a total rejig and overhaul of our Academic curriculums, tailored uniquely to prepare young people and equip them with requisite skills needed to survive outside the four walls of a classroom.

Entrepreneurship and skill acquisition should be taught from secondary up to tatiary Level of education. It should be made compulsory in WAEC and the exams should be exhibition based and not theory based. Every student upon graduation from secondary school should have a vocational skill, as well as an IT skill. By IT I don't mean how to turn on and off a computer as we are seeing today, I mean graphics, coding, hacking and to mention but a few.

The government should establish well equipped IT centers were secondary school student spend minimum of 3months a year, learning an IT skill. The school calendar should be designed to incorporate industrial training and skill acquisition. And this centers should be provided by the government.

Our subject should be tailored uniquely to solve our problem and not spending years studying things that have zero real life applications or relevance in today's society. Until then, more POS boots will keep spring up here and there and singlets and boxers vendors, will keep flooding our timeline on social media.

Sacrosanct.

1 Like

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by hedonido: 5:50pm On Sep 16, 2021
Nigeria's employment space is a huge joke. It is rigged to fail. The contempt for merit, and ridiculously high rate of nepotism and corruption in employment, both in the public and private sectors is the major cause of a lot of the imbalance and disfunction in the Labour market.

The 'it is not by 2.1" or it is not by who sabi book culture is causing more damage than imaginable. It is a systemic problem that has no immediate solution. Masses of graduates are unemployable because they learnt that it is not by studying hard and excelling in their academics that they would get a decent life. It is by being 'sharp'; by who you know, by the useless cult you're a member of; by bla bla bla. Anything else other than reading your books and expanding your brain to be productive. So each year, millions of damaged goods are released into the labour market.

The people called Nigerians, as a group, as an entity, are dysfunctional. Things would only get worse.

Only evolution might help. And it takes time. Generations.

2 Likes

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by AutoChick4U(f): 5:52pm On Sep 16, 2021
Elsueno:

First Nigerians should stop breeding out kids like it's some sort of an achievement, it doesn't matter how gud a policy is, if it can catch up to population growth!

This applies to all Nigerians, Small money person go just marry & start making babies...is dat our only purpose in life!. D reason it's so evident in d north is dis useless Almajiri system where they can just throw kids away to d public without any consequences.

Despite d incompetence & overwhelming corruption of d leaders, things won't be dis bad if our population is well controlled maybe around 70-80 million.
The poor man has no entertainment except for sexx hence the increase in childbirth and population. Atleast na wetin Sociology tell us

6 Likes

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 16, 2021
God will really help us in this country
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by Chigorkizz(m): 5:53pm On Sep 16, 2021
You're right to some extent but there's something you failed to understand.

Is not all about IT. Everyone can't be IT incline. Our government has failed to support SMEs , no easy access to credit facilities....even if you finish all the IT and vocational skills I think you still needs means for your start up.

The little support funds they give out ends in the mouth of the people that doesn't need it most especially the politicians and their friends.

Even as developed as China, people still sell frogs and worms in their wet markets. What's wrong in some one selling boxers?.

Look at the Ibos and how they go about their apprenticeship system and tell me if it's not working for them. You learn a trade and after completing your apprenticeship , your boss settles you and you stand on your own. Now the Ibos dominate almost all the markets,
If the government can learn from that system then some of the problems will be solved.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by Nigeriadondie: 5:53pm On Sep 16, 2021
Elsueno:

Namibia or Equatorial Guinea with just 5 million population yet high unemployment? What you wrote is not the reason.

1 Like

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by AutoChick4U(f): 5:54pm On Sep 16, 2021
SimplyFacts:
Your opinion is valid, OP.

Mine: The govt should put more efforts into birth control.
Unless they wanna restrict it like china which aint feasible here at all
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by saintopus(m): 6:02pm On Sep 16, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
No jobs,yet our high institutions keep releasing graduates on a yearly basis.....

Ok, make person still say make he find him way out of the country,it's either village people or government agencies go put hindrance undecided

To be honest with you the situation of things favors the unmarried young man more than the married man. Am speaking from experience

2 Likes

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by Lush100(m): 6:09pm On Sep 16, 2021
And we have first world countries that are doing well.
Education , knowledge and policies must work together to achieve it.
Unfortunately that's the role of government.
That the word "govern"
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by Nefort: 6:29pm On Sep 16, 2021
vb0mb:

Is Nigeria population greater than that of India or China or Brazil?

In case you don't population is economy, strength and positive factor towards development.

The problems of Nigeria has been highlighted by the op
Since our government is incompetent then the wise thing to do is to reduce our birth rate. We can't say "population is economy" and keep producing babies carelessly when we don't know how to transform the population to a large economy. It doesn't make sense to keep churning out babies when we are not capable of accommodating those already in existence. It's common sense.

4 Likes

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by Raalsalghul: 6:31pm On Sep 16, 2021
Nuttella:
God will really help us in this country

In the 21st century, you still expect God to come down and develop your country for you.

Wonders shall never end.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by MajorOvakporaye(f): 6:32pm On Sep 16, 2021
post=105880805:

SECONDED by all of us @[b][/b].

YOU HAVE NO MORAL RIGHT TO COMMENT ON THREADS LIKE THIS. LOOK FOR A HOLE AND ENTER

1 Like

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by kokoboy4life(m): 6:39pm On Sep 16, 2021
Lastmankc:
The surest way to poverty is marrying as a poor man without reliable sources of income.

But it okay for a rich man to marry poor woman ?
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2021
Raalsalghul:

In the 21st century, you still expect God to come down and develop your country for you.

Wonders shall never end.
Yes I do, keep your opinion to yourself. Moreover, he won't come down, he will use men to do it.
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by OhiOfIhima: 6:43pm On Sep 16, 2021
Ilovezzor:
Parents are still a major part of the problem

Allow kids choose their career parts

It doesn't always have to be medicine,law etc

Sports is a major source of employment any where in the world

Over 100sports existing even for disabled people

Even blind people have a sport

Parents should not discourage their kids from doing sports

Not every body will be a doctor

You are vr correct. Let their be sporting center in every local government, allow children to participate, not just football only but with others sports. Government should also help in d end to market those outstanding players to the international communities by help them with necessary fees to crossover to Europe and other continent. It must not necessarily they must start playing with Manchester United or Barcelona, they can start from small clubs. God will help us in this country.

2 Likes

Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by faste: 6:58pm On Sep 16, 2021
Elsueno:

I agree with you partially,China has behemoth population yet millions have been lifted out of poverty via visionary leadership.
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by faste: 7:01pm On Sep 16, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
No jobs,yet our high institutions keep releasing graduates on a yearly basis.....

Ok, make person still say make he find him way out of the country,it's either village people or government agencies go put hindrance undecided
So sad bro ..over 50% of Nigerians are hindered by village people!
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by Boniee(m): 7:02pm On Sep 16, 2021
Valid points Op
Our school curriculum is obsolete. Our graduates need re-education.

My two cents to undergraduates make sure yu get a skill before yu graduate and finish nysc....mayb vocational but most preferably a digital skill will make yu globally competent.
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by faste: 7:03pm On Sep 16, 2021
JimmyDarmody:
We need to trace the root of our problems first. Electricity needs to be 24/7.

In that case the ministry of tourism will notice a drastic increment in yearly income thereby generating jobs amongst other jobs that'll be created as a result of constant electricity.
You think it is possible with the current insecurity?
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by JimmyDarmody: 7:04pm On Sep 16, 2021
faste:
You think it is possible with the current insecurity?
I think we cannot solve our problem any time soon but just in case we get the opportunity, the first step is stable electricity.
Re: High Rate Of Unemployment: My Opinion. by faste: 7:05pm On Sep 16, 2021
Ilovezzor:
Parents are still a major part of the problem

Allow kids choose their career parts

It doesn't always have to be medicine,law etc

Sports is a major source of employment any where in the world

Over 100sports existing even for disabled people

Even blind people have a sport

Parents should not discourage their kids from doing sports

Not every body will be a doctor
Great point there...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Possible Reasons You Aren’t Getting Any Interviews / NEW Job Recruitment Company for NIGERIANS, AMERICANS and CANADIANS / Invite From Iconic Ace Integrated Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.