Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,691 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? (3468 Views)

What Muslims Will Experience At Death / For those who desire to Make Heaven at Death or at Rapture ( Video) / Father Mbaka Heals A Blind Man At Adoration Crusade - TrezzyHelm (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 1:58am On Sep 19, 2021
Happy Sunday to my beautiful people. I have another question from the bible.
The book of Ecclesiastes 9.10 says, "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

From this scripture, it seems there is no consciousness at death. So my question is, what happened to the spirit ofor man at death?
Let me quote a few other scriptures, this time from the new testament.
John 5.25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.
If there is no consciousness at death, how can the dead hear his voice.
John 2.28-29 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

We read again, the scripture says all the dead would hear his voice. Question... can the dead hear?
Final scripture.
1peter 3.19-20
After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water.
These verses talks of Christ preaching to the spirits of those who perished in the flood.

So can the dead be preached to? Remember, we learnt in John 5 that the dead would hear the voice of Christ.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by chatinent: 2:05am On Sep 19, 2021
Hello.

can the dead hear?

The Bible was referring to the resurrection.

In the Bible, the word translated as “resurrection” comes from the Greek a·naʹsta·sis, which means “raising up” or “standing up again.” A person who is resurrected is raised up from death and restored to life as the person he was before.​—1 Corinthians 15:12, 13.

Although the word “resurrection” is not in the Hebrew Scriptures, often called the Old Testament, the teaching appears there. Through the prophet Hosea, for example, God promised: “From the power of the Grave I will redeem them; from death I will recover them.”​—Hosea 13:14; Job 14:13-​15; Isaiah 26:19; Daniel 12:​2, 13.

Where will people be resurrected? Some people are resurrected to life in heaven to rule as kings with Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:1; Revelation 5:​9, 10) The Bible calls this “the first resurrection” and “the earlier resurrection,” both expressions implying that there is another resurrection to follow. (Revelation 20:6; Philippians 3:​11) This later resurrection will be to life on earth, which the vast majority of those brought back to life will enjoy.​—Psalm 37:29.

How are people resurrected? God grants Jesus the power to raise the dead. (John 11:25) Jesus will restore “all those in the memorial tombs” to life, each one with his unique identity, personality, and memories. (John 5:​28, 29) Those resurrected to heaven receive a spirit body, while those resurrected to life on earth receive a healthy physical body, completely sound.​—Isaiah 33:24; 35:​5, 6; 1 Corinthians 15:42-​44, 50.

Who will be resurrected? The Bible says that “there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.” (Acts 24:15) The righteous include faithful people, such as Noah, Sarah, and Abraham. (Genesis 6:9; Hebrews 11:11; James 2:​21) The unrighteous include those who failed to meet God’s standards but did not have the opportunity to learn and follow them.

However, those who become so wicked that they are beyond reform will not be resurrected. When such ones die, they suffer permanent destruction with no hope of a return to life.​—Matthew 23:33; Hebrews 10:26, 27.

When will the resurrection take place? [/b]The Bible foretold that the resurrection to heaven would take place during Christ’s presence. (1 Corinthians 15:21-​23) The resurrection to life on earth will occur during the Thousand Year Reign of Jesus Christ, when the earth will be transformed into a paradise.​—Luke 23:43; Revelation 20:​6, 12, 13.

[b]Why is belief in the resurrection reasonable?

The Bible provides detailed accounts of nine resurrections, each confirmed by eyewitnesses. (1 Kings 17:17-​24; 2 Kings 4:​32-​37; 13:20, 21; Luke 7:​11-​17; 8:​40-​56; John 11:38-​44; Acts 9:​36-​42; Acts 20:​7-​12; 1 Corinthians 15:​3-6) Jesus’ resurrection of Lazarus is especially noteworthy, since Lazarus had been dead for four days and Jesus performed the miracle before a crowd of people. (John 11:39, 42) Even those who opposed Jesus could not deny the facts of the matter, so instead they plotted to kill both Jesus and Lazarus.​—John 11:47, 53; 12:​9-​11.

Three resurrections as recorded in the Bible: a widow’s child, a Christian woman, and Jesus’ friend Lazarus.

The Bible shows that God has both the ability and the desire to bring back the dead. He keeps in his limitless memory a detailed record of each person he will resurrect by means of his almighty power. (Job 37:23; Matthew 10:30; Luke 20:37, 38) God is able to restore the dead to life, and he wants to! Describing the coming resurrection, the Bible says of God: “You will long for the work of your hands.”​—Job 14:15.

Misconceptions about the resurrection
Myth: The resurrection is a reuniting of the soul with the body.

Fact: The Bible teaches that the soul is the entire person, not some part that survives death. (Genesis 2:7, footnote; Ezekiel 18:4) A person who is resurrected is not reunited with his soul; he is recreated as a living soul.

Myth: Some people are resurrected and then immediately destroyed.

Fact: The Bible says that “those who practiced vile things” will receive “a resurrection of judgment.” (John 5:​29) However, this judgment is based on what they do after they are resurrected, not before. Jesus said: “The dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who have paid attention will live.” (John 5:​25) Those who ‘pay attention’ to, or obey, the things they learn after they are resurrected will have their names recorded in “the scroll of life.”​—Revelation 20:12, 13.

Myth: When resurrected, a person receives exactly the same body that he had before he died.

Fact: After death, a person’s body would likely have broken down and disintegrated.—Ecclesiastes 3:​19, 20.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by Nwchkwgz: 2:24am On Sep 19, 2021
We are energies
Religion calls energy spirit.
Can neither be created nor destroyed
Only changes form
When your physical body dies your spirit changes form

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 7:43am On Sep 19, 2021
Nwchkwgz:
We are energies
Religion calls energy spirit.
Can neither be created nor destroyed
Only changes form
When your physical body dies your spirit changes form
This sounds like metaphysic but go on, explain with scripture.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 7:53am On Sep 19, 2021
chatinent:
Hello.

The Bible was referring to the resurrection.

In the Bible, the word translated as “resurrection” comes from the Greek a·naʹsta·sis, which means “raising up” or “standing up again.” A person who is resurrected is raised up from death and restored to life as the person he was before.​—1 Corinthians 15:12, 13.

Although the word “resurrection” is not in the Hebrew Scriptures, often called the Old Testament, the teaching appears there. Through the prophet Hosea, for example, God promised: “From the power of the Grave I will redeem them; from death I will recover them.”​—Hosea 13:14; Job 14:13-​15; Isaiah 26:19; Daniel 12:​2, 13.

Where will people be resurrected? Some people are resurrected to life in heaven to rule as kings with Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:1; Revelation 5:​9, 10) The Bible calls this “the first resurrection” and “the earlier resurrection,” both expressions implying that there is another resurrection to follow. (Revelation 20:6; Philippians 3:​11) This later resurrection will be to life on earth, which the vast majority of those brought back to life will enjoy.​—Psalm 37:29.

How are people resurrected? God grants Jesus the power to raise the dead. (John 11:25) Jesus will restore “all those in the memorial tombs” to life, each one with his unique identity, personality, and memories. (John 5:​28, 29) Those resurrected to heaven receive a spirit body, while those resurrected to life on earth receive a healthy physical body, completely sound.​—Isaiah 33:24; 35:​5, 6; 1 Corinthians 15:42-​44, 50.

Who will be resurrected? The Bible says that “there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.” (Acts 24:15) The righteous include faithful people, such as Noah, Sarah, and Abraham. (Genesis 6:9; Hebrews 11:11; James 2:​21) The unrighteous include those who failed to meet God’s standards but did not have the opportunity to learn and follow them.

However, those who become so wicked that they are beyond reform will not be resurrected. When such ones die, they suffer permanent destruction with no hope of a return to life.​—Matthew 23:33; Hebrews 10:26, 27.

When will the resurrection take place? [/b]The Bible foretold that the resurrection to heaven would take place during Christ’s presence. (1 Corinthians 15:21-​23) The resurrection to life on earth will occur during the Thousand Year Reign of Jesus Christ, when the earth will be transformed into a paradise.​—Luke 23:43; Revelation 20:​6, 12, 13.

[b]Why is belief in the resurrection reasonable?

The Bible provides detailed accounts of nine resurrections, each confirmed by eyewitnesses. (1 Kings 17:17-​24; 2 Kings 4:​32-​37; 13:20, 21; Luke 7:​11-​17; 8:​40-​56; John 11:38-​44; Acts 9:​36-​42; Acts 20:​7-​12; 1 Corinthians 15:​3-6) Jesus’ resurrection of Lazarus is especially noteworthy, since Lazarus had been dead for four days and Jesus performed the miracle before a crowd of people. (John 11:39, 42) Even those who opposed Jesus could not deny the facts of the matter, so instead they plotted to kill both Jesus and Lazarus.​—John 11:47, 53; 12:​9-​11.

Three resurrections as recorded in the Bible: a widow’s child, a Christian woman, and Jesus’ friend Lazarus.

The Bible shows that God has both the ability and the desire to bring back the dead. He keeps in his limitless memory a detailed record of each person he will resurrect by means of his almighty power. (Job 37:23; Matthew 10:30; Luke 20:37, 38) God is able to restore the dead to life, and he wants to! Describing the coming resurrection, the Bible says of God: “You will long for the work of your hands.”​—Job 14:15.

Misconceptions about the resurrection
Myth: The resurrection is a reuniting of the soul with the body.

Fact: The Bible teaches that the soul is the entire person, not some part that survives death. (Genesis 2:7, footnote; Ezekiel 18:4) A person who is resurrected is not reunited with his soul; he is recreated as a living soul.

Myth: Some people are resurrected and then immediately destroyed.

Fact: The Bible says that “those who practiced vile things” will receive “a resurrection of judgment.” (John 5:​29) However, this judgment is based on what they do after they are resurrected, not before. Jesus said: “The dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who have paid attention will live.” (John 5:​25) Those who ‘pay attention’ to, or obey, the things they learn after they are resurrected will have their names recorded in “the scroll of life.”​—Revelation 20:12, 13.

Myth: When resurrected, a person receives exactly the same body that he had before he died.

Fact: After death, a person’s body would likely have broken down and disintegrated.—Ecclesiastes 3:​19, 20.

Thanks.
Sir, you wrote so much, I would have loved to reply all but let's see what I can do.
First. You did not in anyway or form answer my question.
My question was, what happened to the spirit of man at death. I was asking about the consciousness of the spirit at death.

Yes John 5.25 was talking about resurrection but before resurrection, the dead would hear the voice of Christ and those that believe would be saved.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:16am On Sep 19, 2021
The spirit of a man is his soul, so it depends on what how he lived his life while on Earth. If for God and according to His Word, then he would preserve his spirit for eternal life. But if for the world and worked iniquity, he would lose his soul in eternal damnation.

God bless.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by chatinent: 10:59am On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

Sir, you wrote so much, I would have loved to reply all but let's see what I can do.
First. You did not in anyway or form answer my question.
My question was, what happened to the spirit of man at death. I was asking about the consciousness of the spirit at death.

Yes John 5.25 was talking about resurrection but before resurrection, the dead would hear the voice of Christ and those that believe would be saved.

The spirit returns to the giver, God. You answered it in your paragraph.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 12:10pm On Sep 19, 2021
chatinent:

The spirit returns to the giver, God. You answered it in your paragraph.
Thanks.. so the spirit does not go to he'll right?
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 12:12pm On Sep 19, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
The spirit of a man is his soul, so it depends on what how he lived his life while on Earth. If for God and according to His Word, then he would preserve his spirit for eternal life. But if for the world and worked iniquity, he would lose his soul in eternal damnation.

God bless.
But the bible teaches that all would be resurrected.
The spirit and body would reunite so how do you mean
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by MysticismPriest: 12:17pm On Sep 19, 2021
Leave tbr the

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by sonmvayina(m): 12:20pm On Sep 19, 2021
The spirit returns to God. It is his property. Man is God's spirit dwelling within a physical body made from the dustof the earth. When a man experiences death ..his consciousness departs and becomes one with the consciousness of the universe....and the body goes back to earth where it was taken.
The psalmist says in 104: 29-31 "send forth YOUR SPIRIT and they are created and replenish the earth take it and they die and return back to dust".....
Back to default settings..

Life is a gift, and like all gift you can accept or reject it. If you accept it, then live by the Torah to have a fulfilling and purposeful life that the generation coming behind will be proud of.
If you reject it...delete yourself.. your choice...no delete anybody own..you can't make that choice for them...

Peace...
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by chatinent: 12:39pm On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

Thanks.. so the spirit does not go to he'll right?

Hell is different from hell fire. Anyways, it does not go there.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by sonmvayina(m): 1:09pm On Sep 19, 2021
chatinent:

Una don come again...
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 1:10pm On Sep 19, 2021
chatinent:

What's the difference
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by xproducer: 3:57pm On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:
Happy Sunday to my beautiful people. I have another question from the bible.
The book of Ecclesiastes 9.10 says, "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

From this scripture, it seems there is no consciousness at death. So my question is, what happened to the spirit ofor man at death?
Let me quote a few other scriptures, this time from the new testament.
John 5.25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.
John 2.28-29 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

We read again, the scripture says all the dead would hear his voice. Question... can the dead hear?
Final scripture.
1peter 3.19-20
After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water.
These verses talks of Christ preaching to the spirits of those who perished in the flood.

So can the dead be preached to? Remember, we learnt in John 5 that the dead would hear the voice of Christ.

----

Let me preface by saying that GOD knows all things! "Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite." - Psalm 147:5

One can either be physically dead or spiritually dead (the Holy Bible makes this distinction).
The dead do not hear under normal circumstances, but I assure you - the dead hear GOD, because GOD is GOD!

"For with God nothing will be impossible.” - Luke 1:37

"(as it is written, “I have made you a father of many nations”) in the presence of Him whom he believed—God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did" - Romans 4:17

Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?" - Jeremiah 32:27 (Also Genesis 18:14)
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:35pm On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

grin First, can the living on earth normally speak with the living in the grave?

No,

So it is impossible to preach to them whilst on earth, when you can not even speak to them nor see them. grin
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by Nwchkwgz: 4:47pm On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

This sounds like metaphysic but go on, explain with scripture.
Scripture keh..
I follow Odinani
People don’t understand that African spirituality is pure metaphysics

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 8:36am On Sep 21, 2021
Nwchkwgz:

Scripture keh..
I follow Odinani
People don’t understand that African spirituality is pure metaphysics
ok, good for you
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:17am On Nov 28, 2021
tctrills:

What's the difference
The Hebrew text translated "Hell" simply means Grave while the text translated Hellfire means complete destruction.
So people in Hell (Grave) will be brought back to life {John 5:28-29 compare to Job 14:13-15} but people in Hellfire (Gehenna) will be forgotten in their graves because they don't deserve to live again! Matthew 10:28
May you have PEACE! smiley

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 8:44am On Nov 28, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

The Hebrew text translated "Hell" simply means Grave while the text translated Hellfire means complete destruction.
So people in Hell (Grave) will be brought back to life {John 5:28-29 compare to Job 14:13-15} but people in Hellfire (Gehenna) will be forgotten in their graves because they don't deserve to live again! Matthew 10:28

I don't claim to know Hebrew but I just researched .
Sheol (/ˈʃiːoʊl/ SHEE-ohl, /-əl/; Hebrew: שְׁאוֹל‎ Šəʾōl) in the Hebrew Bible, is a place of darkness to which all the dead go, both the righteous and the unrighteous, regardless of the moral choices made in life, a place of stillness and darkness cut off from life and from God.[1] The inhabitants of Sheol are the "shades" (rephaim), entities without personality or strength.[2] Under some circumstances they are thought to be able to be contacted by the living, as the Witch of Endor contacts the shade of Samuel for Saul, but such practices are forbidden (Deuteronomy 18:10).[3]

While the Hebrew Bible appears to describe Sheol as the permanent place of the dead, in the Second Temple period (roughly 500 BC–70 AD) a more diverse set of ideas developed. In some texts, Sheol is considered to be the home of both the righteous and the wicked, separated into respective compartments; in others, it was considered a place of punishment, meant for the wicked dead alone,[4] and is equated with Gehenna in the Talmud.[5] When the Hebrew scriptures were translated into Greek in ancient Alexandria around 200 BC, the word "Hades" (the Greek underworld) was substituted for Sheol. This is reflected in the New Testament where Hades is both the underworld of the dead and the personification of the evil it represents.[4]
In the Hebrew Bible, Gehenna was initially where some of the kings of Judah sacrificed their children by fire.[4] Thereafter, it was deemed to be cursed (Book of Jeremiah 7:31, 19:2–6).[5]

In rabbinic literature, Gehenna is also a destination of the wicked.[6] Gehinnom is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, although the King James Version of the Bible misleadingly translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word hell.
I don't think you are a Hebrew scholar either so you may read more and update yourself.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:36am On Nov 28, 2021
tctrills:

I don't claim to know Hebrew but I just researched .
Sheol (/ˈʃiːoʊl/ SHEE-ohl, /-əl/; Hebrew: שְׁאוֹל‎ Šəʾōl) in the Hebrew Bible, is a place of darkness to which all the dead go, both the righteous and the unrighteous, regardless of the moral choices made in life, a place of stillness and darkness cut off from life and from God.[1] The inhabitants of Sheol are the "shades" (rephaim), entities without personality or strength.[2] Under some circumstances they are thought to be able to be contacted by the living, as the Witch of Endor contacts the shade of Samuel for Saul, but such practices are forbidden (Deuteronomy 18:10).[3]

While the Hebrew Bible appears to describe Sheol as the permanent place of the dead, in the Second Temple period (roughly 500 BC–70 AD) a more diverse set of ideas developed. In some texts, Sheol is considered to be the home of both the righteous and the wicked, separated into respective compartments; in others, it was considered a place of punishment, meant for the wicked dead alone,[4] and is equated with Gehenna in the Talmud.[5] When the Hebrew scriptures were translated into Greek in ancient Alexandria around 200 BC, the word "Hades" (the Greek underworld) was substituted for Sheol. This is reflected in the New Testament where Hades is both the underworld of the dead and the personification of the evil it represents.[4]
In the Hebrew Bible, Gehenna was initially where some of the kings of Judah sacrificed their children by fire.[4] Thereafter, it was deemed to be cursed (Book of Jeremiah 7:31, 19:2–6).[5]

In rabbinic literature, Gehenna is also a destination of the wicked.[6] Gehinnom is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, although the King James Version of the Bible misleadingly translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word hell.
I don't think you are a Hebrew scholar either so you may read more and update yourself.

This has nothing to do with being a Hebrews scholar but a comprehensive understanding of God's word.
God told Adam life or death {Genesis 2:17} so a comprehensive understanding of God's word can't change the fact that it's either we live forever or die forever. God never said that Adam will continue to suffer after his death rather it's Satan who said the dead will not really die. So choose between God and Satan who is lying about the condition of the dead! Ecclesiastes 9:5-10 smiley
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 2:43pm On Nov 28, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

This has nothing to do with being a Hebrews scholar but a comprehensive understanding of God's word.
God told Adam life or death {Genesis 2:17} so a comprehensive understanding of God's word can't change the fact that it's either we live forever or die forever. God never said that Adam will continue to suffer after his death rather it's Satan who said the dead will not really die. So choose between God and Satan who is lying about the condition of the dead! Ecclesiastes 9:5-10 smiley
Are you talking about death or about hell, 2 different topics. God described death as a separation of the spirit and body.
Also God said all the dead would resurrect so I am not getting your point
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by Omotakins(m): 3:15pm On Nov 28, 2021
Genesis 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Like it's always said that man is a tripartite entity that is made up of the body, spirit and soul. From the quoted verse above, all the three became manifested when God created man. God formed man from the dust of the ground which is the body(flesh) that is inhabited by both soul and spirit. The body is of the earth, it returns to earth at death. Genesis 3:19, 'In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return'.

The breath of life God breathed into man through man's nostrils is the spirit. At death, the spirit(God's breath in man) returns to God because it is from Him. Since it is of the Lord and is a spirit, it can only be nurtured with godly inspired spiritual exercises like studying the bible, worship, praises, prayers, living holy and many more. However, irrespective of the way you treat your spirit man, it is of the Lord and it goes back to him. The body dies when the spirit no longer inhabits it. Psalms 104:29, thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust. Also, a look at Eccl. 12:7 will give further credence. It says, 'then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it'.

The last part of Gen. 2:7 speaks about man becoming a living soul after God formed him from dust and breathed into him the breath of life. The real man is the soul who dwells in a flesh as body and sustained by the breath of life from God(spirit). It is the soul that stands before the judgment seat of the Lord to receive judgment as regards the choice it made while on earth. It was with this understanding that Apostle Peter implored all believers, as strangers and pilgrims on the earth, to abstain from all fleshly lusts that war against the soul(1 Peter 2:11) because He knew that was what will be judged on the last day. It was the soul of the foolish, rich man God required to be judged( Luke 12:19-20)

The important question we all need to ask ourselves is what becomes of my soul(me) after my sojourn here on earth for it is given unto man to die once and to receive judgment thereafter. Will the judgment I'll receive on the last day be unto eternal life or eternal damnation? The choice is yours!

Jesus said, 'what shall it profit a man to gain the entire world and lose his soul? What can you substitute for your soul? As opulent (by the standard of the world) as Warren Buffet, Bill Gates and many more are, it will still be impossible for them to gain the entire world. If they can't, can you? And you want to lose your soul over what you can't gain!!! Yet, the bible says even if you gained the whole world but lose your soul, it will be an irrecoverable loss of a monumental proportion.

Genesis 6:3
'And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years'. If by His grace(which some don't like to acknowledge) you live above 120 years, can that still be compared to eternity. JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY OUT OF ETERNITY IN HELL AND DAMNATION. No other way! There may be a way that seems right unto man, but the end there of are the ways of death(Proverbs 16:25). He calls you; He always does. Shalom.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by Ola17: 3:35pm On Nov 28, 2021
So much conjectures and fantasies in one thread.

Death sadly, is the end of all living things. Unless science somehow finds a way of reversing/preventing aging or cloning a person from its genetic material, death is the end. All these romanticized idea of heaven, hell and whatnots is simply not rooted in reality.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 4:09pm On Nov 28, 2021
Ola17:
So much conjectures and fantasies in one thread.

Death sadly, is the end of all living things. Unless science somehow finds a way of reversing/preventing aging or cloning a person from its genetic material, death is the end. All these romanticized idea of heaven, hell and whatnots is simply not rooted in reality.
What's your proof or is it just your opinion?
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:59pm On Nov 28, 2021
tctrills:

Are you talking about death or about hell, 2 different topics. God described death as a separation of the spirit and body.
Also God said all the dead would resurrect so I am not getting your point

The highlighted is a misconception.
God never said death is a separation of the spirit and body. Most people misconstrued the concept totally.
The energy that powers the body is the breath of life which God breath into Adam in the beginning {Genesis 2:7} it's that energy that God is talking about at Psalms 146:4:

His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish
Note that the spirit here doesn't mean the dead man, God's word says he (the dead) returns to the ground, on that very day his thoughts PERISH!

According to Christendom teachings which correlates with pagan teachings, at death the spirit of the dead man still lingers around with his thoughts. Whereas God's word clearly stated that the thoughts of the dead is gone! Ecclesiastes 9:5-10 undecided

So get it straight that the dead have nothing to do with remembrance because they are totally dead. It's the energy actuating our body which is the same energy in all other creatures {Ecclesiastes 3:18-20} that the scriptures is saying as something that returns to God, this simply means the hope to return back to life solely depends on God!

God's word says the dead will be resurrected {John 5:28-29} but this is where the wisdom comes in because people like Adam, Eve, Cain, Nimrod, Pharaoh, Noah's contemporaries, inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah, all these people directly received God's judgment so they are gone forever. That's why Jesus kept emphasizing on their judgment because they've been destroyed body and soul at death! Matthew 10:28

So when the Bible book of Revelation says the dead resurrected where judged for the good to have their names written in the book of life but others into the Lake of Fire. These are people who will be resurrected in the future but they never had direct dealings with the true God therefore they lived and died not due to their evil but Adamic sin. Most of them lived by conscience and tried everything within their power but because they never know God's standard they are unrighteous from God's viewpoint.
For instance our ancestors who never knew the God of Israel lived and serve idols throughout their lives but many of them lived by their conscience, so they will be resurrected based on how their conscience tolerate them, then they will be preached to by Christians on earth, any of them who rejects the teachings of Christ will only live for a hundred years then die as a youth {Isaiah 65:20} and all those that lasted for more than hundred years will continue living for the 1,000 years of Christ's reign. After 1,000 years we will have perfected Jesus' teachings then Satan will be released for the final test {Revelations 20:1-3} during that time both preachers and teachers of Jesus' words will be on constant watch by the angels who are going about writing the names of those who are truly paying attention to Jesus' teachings and struggling to put it to good use. These are the ones whose names will be written in the book of life {Malachi 3:16} and after the 1,000 years whoever is not found written in God's memory book will be destroyed completely along with Satan! Revelations 20:15

Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 5:05pm On Nov 28, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

God never said death is a separation of the spirit and body. Most people misconstrued the concept totally.
The energy that powers the body is the breath of life which God breath into Adam in the beginning {Genesis 2:7} it's that energy that God is talking about at Psalms 146:4:

His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish
Note that the spirit here doesn't mean the dead man, God's word says he (the dead) returns to the ground, on that very day his thoughts PERISH!

According to Christendom teachings which correlates with pagan teachings, at death the spirit of the dead man still lingers around with his thoughts. Whereas God's word clearly stated that the thoughts of the dead is gone! Ecclesiastes 9:5-10 undecided

So get it straight that the dead have nothing to do with remembrance because they are totally dead. It's the energy actuating our body which is the same energy in all other creatures {Ecclesiastes 3:18-20} that the scriptures is saying as something that returns to God, this simply means the hope to return back to life solely depends on God!

God's word says the dead will be resurrected {John 5:28-29} but this is where the wisdom comes in because people like Adam, Eve, Cain, Nimrod, Pharaoh, Noah's contemporaries, inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah, all these people directly received God's judgment so they are gone forever. That's why Jesus kept emphasizing on their judgment because they've been destroyed body and soul at death! Matthew 10:28

So when the Bible book of Revelation says the dead resurrected where judged for the good to have their names written in the book of life but others into the Lake of Fire. These are people who will be resurrected in the future but they never had direct dealings with the true God therefore they lived and died not due to their evil but Adamic sin. Most of them lived by conscience and tried everything within their power but because they never know God's standard they are unrighteous from God's viewpoint.
For instance our ancestors who never knew the God of Israel lived and serve idols throughout their lives but many of them lived by their conscience, so they will be resurrected based on how their conscience tolerate them, then they will be preached to by Christians on earth, any of them who rejects the teachings of Christ will only live for a hundred years then die as a youth {Isaiah 65:20} and all those that lasted for more than hundred years will continue living for the 1,000 years of Christ's reign. After 1,000 years we will have perfected Jesus' teachings then Satan will be released for the final test {Revelations 20:1-3} during that time both preachers and teachers of Jesus' words will be on constant watch by the angels who are going about writing the names of those who are truly paying attention to Jesus' teachings and struggling to put it to good use. These are the ones whose names will be written in the book of life {Malachi 3:16} and after the 1,000 years whoever is not found written in God's memory book will be destroyed completely along with Satan! Revelations 20:15

You claim God never said death i's separation of the spirit and the body..
Eccl 12.7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
How would you explain 1 Peter 3.18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
How come the spirits of the dead were preached to
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 5:11pm On Nov 28, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Again the bible teaches that all shall be resurrected you seem to believe otherwise.
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:31pm On Nov 28, 2021
tctrills:

You claim God never said death i's separation of the spirit and the body..
Eccl 12.7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
How would you explain 1 Peter 3.18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
How come the spirits of the dead were preached to

Jesus died for three consecutive days that's enough warning for the rebellious angels who may be wondering how they can return to non-existence but Jesus' death is like a PREACHING to them!
So it's the rebellious angels (spirits) that are in prison not dead people! 2Peter 2:4

Jesus died as a human (in the flesh) but resurrected as a spirit! 1Corinthians 15:45

All these are sacred secrets that's revealed only to God's people who identified Jesus as the archangel Michael who is standing for our salvation {Daniel 12:1} whoever is not close to us can never understand all this secrets! Daniel 12:10
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:39pm On Nov 28, 2021
tctrills:

Again the bible teaches that all shall be resurrected you seem to believe otherwise.

That is the sacred secret!

Not all the dead will be resurrected rather it's those who were not destroyed by God Himself that will return to life, the resurrection is:

RIGHTEOUS ~ God's ancient servants who lived and served God throughout their lives! Job 14:13-14

UNRIGHTEOUS ~ People from all other races who don't know the true God but lived by conscience.

As for people who deliberately chose to be WICKED and those who were directly destroyed by God, they will not be remembered during the resurrection of the dead:

The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. Psalms 9:17

The nations that forget God simply means people who rendered their conscience dead, we all have instinct restraining us from doing what we know is evil even if we don't know the laws of the God of Israel! Romans 2:15

So all those rendering their conscience dead will be turned into grave (Hell)
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by Ola17: 5:45pm On Nov 28, 2021
tctrills:

What's your proof or is it just your opinion?

An extraordinary claim requires an extraordinary proof and the burden of proof lies with you.

Can you prove that spirit, soul, heaven and hell exist?
Re: What Happened To The Spirit of Man At Death? by tctrills: 7:27pm On Nov 28, 2021
Ola17:

An extraordinary claim requires an extraordinary proof and the burden of proof lies with you.

Can you prove that spirit, soul, heaven and hell exist?
You want me to prove your claim.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is There Any Proof The Bible Hasn't Been Corrupted ? / Yahwehpenis Is Missing / Tithe Must Be Voluntary - Pastor Tunde Bakare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.