Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,078 members, 7,835,639 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) (75253 Views)

7 Reasons Why The Noah’s Ark Story Is A Myth. / Archaeology: Explorers '99.9% Sure' Remains Of Noah's Ark Is Discovered (Photos) / Noah's Ark Rebuilt & Opened For Public In Atlanta US With Its Exact Measurements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 10:13am On Sep 30, 2021
Nothingserious:

Lol!
I trolled you with ridiculous responses. It’s a match for your ridiculous worldview.
No shaking. Give a fool a fool’s foolish reward. Don’t waste pearls with them.

I cannot rack my brain to give you intelligent responses cos you don’t deserve them. In fact they will mean nothing to you.

I will be glad if you fall into the trap to discuss science. You think science has anything to say about God, religion or metaphysics? Let me hear you talk about it here. I will chew you raw.
And I also need you to scientifically show proof that your ridiculous statements here are empirical.

If you change this topic now due to your inability to respond and follow up or engage, I will flog you. No further deflections. Focus.
Kangaroo didn’t hop across the Indian Ocean to Middle East.
Deal with it cheesy

No human has ever been born without fertilization, don’t cook up one cheesy
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 10:45am On Sep 30, 2021
Workch:
show me anything they invented in science with the Bible grin

Joker cheesy

Again, the Christians and other theists developed the science you pride about with their God-given intellects and minds.
They also built some of the best higher institutions you also pride of today. And more Christians are excelling in sciences, technology, philosophy, finances, religion etc today.
That’s a fact. Just get it into your skull.
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 10:46am On Sep 30, 2021
Nothingserious:

Again, the Christians and other theists developed the science you pride about with their God-given intellects and minds.
They also built some of the best higher institutions you also pride of today. And more Christians are excelling in sciences, technology, philosophy, finances, religion etc today.
What invention did they make with the Bible?
Magic doesn’t work in science cheesy
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 12:42pm On Sep 30, 2021
Workch:
Kangaroo didn’t hop across the Indian Ocean to Middle East.
Deal with it cheesy

No human has ever been born without fertilization, don’t cook up one cheesy

Jesus Christ had an immaculate conception. It is called miracle. It shows supernatural events exist.
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 12:44pm On Sep 30, 2021
Nothingserious:

Jesus Christ had an immaculate conception. It is called miracle. It shows supernatural events exist.
Immaculate magic cheesy
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 12:44pm On Sep 30, 2021
[quote author=Workch post=106307223]What invention did they make with the Bible?
Magic doesn’t work in science cheesy[/quote

Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 12:45pm On Sep 30, 2021
Nothingserious:

and a slowpoke like you believed it without evidence grin
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 12:45pm On Sep 30, 2021
[quote author=Nothingserious post=106310925][/quote]so what scientific method has been developed from the magical book of the Bible so far?
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 12:49pm On Sep 30, 2021
Workch:
Immaculate magic cheesy

Lol!

I had thought you were going to scientifically dispute miracles and supernatural events.
Pls don’t give me rhetorics again. I only need empirical responses from you. That’s how it works.
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 12:51pm On Sep 30, 2021
Workch:
so what scientific method has been developed from the magical book of the Bible so far?

The Bible people did most.
The Bible people started most.
The Bible people made most of what you know today possible.
The Bible people are still at the forefront doing most today.
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 12:52pm On Sep 30, 2021
Workch:
and a slowpoke like you believed it without evidence grin

I had thought a fool like you would have only empirical responses. So you can’t even type and respond empirically?

Ode!
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 1:05pm On Sep 30, 2021
Nothingserious:

I had thought a fool like you would have only empirical responses. So you can’t even type and respond empirically?

Ode!
You believe fairytales without evidence because you brain is not functioning properly.

Garbage in, garbage out. cheesy
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 1:06pm On Sep 30, 2021
Nothingserious:

The Bible people did most.
The Bible people started most.
The Bible people made most of what you know today possible.
The Bible people are still at the forefront doing most today.
I am yet to see an unfertilized birth in science. That is only in the magical book of the lord cheesy
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 3:35pm On Sep 30, 2021
[quote author=Workch post=106311484]You believe fairytales without evidence because you brain is not functioning properly.

Garbage in, garbage out. cheesy[/quote

https://thelife.com/five-things-science-cant-explain

FIVE THINGS SCIENCE CAN'T EXPLAIN

VIEW SERIES / DARREN HEWER
392 COMMENTS
Science has contributed innumerable benefits to human life on planet Earth. We should be deeply grateful for the hard work of scientists who dedicate their lives to loyal study of this discipline and the advantages scientific advances grant us.

Due to its success, there is often a tendency to think that science can explain everything. However, there are actually many things that science cannot prove. Here are five categories of truth that cannot be proven using the scientific method:

1) Existential Truth: Science cannot prove that you aren’t merely a brain in a jar being manipulated to think this is all actually happening (think of something like in the movie “The Matrix”.) It also cannot prove that the world wasn’t created 5 minutes ago with the appearance of age (and with fake memories in your head, and half-digested food in your stomach, etc.). However, it’s still rational to believe that our memories are true and that the world is real.

2) Moral Truth: Science cannot prove that rape is evil. While it is possible to demonstrate, for example, that there are negative physical or psychological effects of rape, there is no scientific test that can prove it is evil. Science can describe how the natural world is, but moral truth carries an “oughtness” (how things should be) that goes beyond what merely is.

3) Logical Truth: Consider the statement, “Science is the only way to really know truth.” How could you prove that statement by science? It is actually self-refuting because there is no scientific test you could use to prove that it is true! Science cannot prove logic to be true because it assumes and requires logic in order for it to work.

4) Historical Truth: Science cannot prove that Barack Obama won the 2008 United States presidential election. There is no scientific test we could perform to prove it. We could have an investigation if we wanted to confirm that he did actually win, but the method for proving historical truth is different from testing scientific truths since historical truths are by nature non-repeatable.

5) Experiential Truth: Science cannot prove that your spouse loves you. When asked why so-and-so loves you, you may cite precedent (times when their behavior demonstrates their love for you), but this is a particular type of historical truth. There is no scientific test that can confirm a lifetime of experience of knowing a person.

None of this is meant to criticize science! There’s nothing wrong with the scientific method for testing the kinds of things it was meant to test. However, it would be a mistake to expect it to be able to test everything. There are more intellectual tools available to us than just science, and as the old saying goes, when all you’ve got is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail!

For the kinds of truth listed above, science is not deficient in any way; it’s just not the right way to find those particular kinds of truth. To try to do so would be like trying to ascertain whether a banana is tasty by sticking it in your ear and listening to it; it’s simply the wrong method!

Religious truth is a different kind of knowing

There is one other kind of truth that cannot be proven or disproven by science. That’s because it is comprised of all of the other kinds of truth mentioned above mixed together: Religious truth. It does have a certain amount of overlap with science, when religion makes explicit claims about scientific fact, and when science makes explicit claims about religion. But the overlap tends to be rather small; in any case, true science and true religion, because they both aim to describe reality, can never be in conflict.

Why then does science often seem so straightforward and uncontroversial, whereas religion can be so difficult and contentious?

It may have something to do with a fact hinted at earlier: Religious truth is multifaceted. It is comprised of science, logic, philosophy, history, ethics, and experience all mixed together. It is, in a sense, a different kind of knowing, not ignorant of the other kinds of truths, but requiring that they be studied together carefully.

Rigidly applying the same methodology used for studying mundane things would be deficient when considering divine things. This shouldn’t be too surprising, considering that if God truly does exist, God is in a different category from every created thing that we can grasp and study under a microscope: God, unlike every created thing, is in the “uncreated things” category. Science, and each of the other kinds of truths, will have something to say about God. But none of these individually can tell us everything. All are necessary, but no single approach by itself is sufficient.

If that is the case, where should a person start a serious investigation into religion amidst all the complexity? Where should a person begin?

In his suspenseful novel, Five Sacred Crossings, author and religious scholar Craig Hazen presents through his narrative five “sacred crossings,” or compelling reasons to consider Christianity first. This is merely an exceedingly short summary of what Hazen explains (and argues for) in much more detail in his book:

1) It is testable. Christianity does not make merely esoteric claims; it makes claims about logic, science, history, philosophy, and ultimately reality itself.

2) It paints a picture of the world that matches reality. It does not force a person to deny that our world is real. Rather it cohesively explains why things are the way they are.

3) It makes a non-compartmentalized life possible. The Christian faith does not require a person to live one way when thinking about “religious” things and a totally different way at all other times.

4) It presents salvation as a free gift. Every other religion in the world presents some sort of works-based way to reconnect with God. But at the heart of the Christian message is grace, not more demands to somehow work our way to God.

5) It has Jesus at the center. Jesus is the most compelling (and controversial) figure in history. Many other religions claim to respect him, but Christianity is founded upon his life, teaching, and identity. Why not begin by getting to know him?

One man who took on such a challenge was Dr Alister McGrath, who earned two doctorates at Oxford University, one in molecular biophysics and the other in theology. He described his spiritual and intellectual journey to the Christian faith in this way:

“At Oxford — to my surprise — I discovered Christianity. It was the intellectually most exhilarating and spiritually stimulating thing I could ever hope to describe — better than chemistry, a wonderful subject that I had thought to be the love of my life and my future career. I went on to gain a doctorate for research in molecular biophysics from Oxford, and found that immensely exciting and satisfying. But I knew I had found something better — like the pearl of great price that Jesus talks about in the Gospel, which is so beautiful and precious that it overshadows everything. It was intellectually satisfying, imaginatively engaging, and aesthetically exciting.”

* Alister McGrath, The Future of Atheism: Alister McGrath & Daniel Dennett in Dialogue (London, England: Fortress Press, 2008), 27.
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 3:36pm On Sep 30, 2021
Workch:
I am yet to see an unfertilized birth in science. That is only in the magical book of the lord cheesy

Jesus Christ of Nazareth was a divine human who lived here with us.

Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 3:41pm On Sep 30, 2021
Nothingserious:

Jesus Christ of Nazareth was a divine human who lived here with us.

he was a divine magic that didn’t happen cheesy

Jesus Christ the magic man cheesy
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 3:42pm On Sep 30, 2021
[quote author=Nothingserious post=106315712][/quote]No evidence god exist

Kill your self cheesy
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 3:48pm On Sep 30, 2021
Workch:
he was a divine magic that didn’t happen cheesy

Jesus Christ the magic man cheesy

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-18/dickson-tips-for-atheists/5397892

Top 10 tips for atheists this Easter

The Drum / By John Dickson
Posted Thu 17 Apr 2014 at 11:19pmThursday 17 Apr 2014 at 11:19pm, updated Fri 18 Apr 2014 at 2:20amFriday 18 Apr 2014 at 2:20am
There is a dissonance between Christ's "love your enemies" and Moses' "slay the wicked".
There is a dissonance between Christ's "love your enemies" and Moses' "slay the wicked".(Dean Lewins: AAP)
Help keep family & friends informed by sharing this article

COPY
Atheists should drop their easily dismissed scientific, philosophical or historical arguments against Christianity, and instead quiz believers about Old Testament violence and hell, writes John Dickson.

As an intellectual movement, Christianity has a head start on atheism. So it's only natural that believers would find some of the current arguments against God less than satisfying.

In the interests of a more robust debate this Easter, I want to offer my tips for atheists wanting to make a dent in the Faith. I've got some advice on arguments that should be dropped and some admissions about where Christians are vulnerable.

Tip #1. Dip into Christianity's intellectual tradition

This is the 1,984th Easter since 7 April AD 30, the widely accepted date among historians for the crucifixion of Jesus (the 1,981st if you find the arguments for 3 April AD 33 persuasive). Christians have been pondering this stuff for a long time. They've faced textual, historical, and philosophical scrutiny in almost every era, and they have left a sophisticated literary trail of reasons for the Faith.

My first tip, then, is to gain some awareness of the church's vast intellectual tradition. It is not enough to quip that 'intellectual' and 'church' are oxymoronic. Origen, Augustine, Philoponus, Aquinas, and the rest are giants of Western thought. Without some familiarity with these figures, or their modern equivalents - Pannenberg, Ward, MacIntrye, McGrath, Plantinga, Hart, Volf - popular atheists can sound like the kid in English class, "Miss, Shakespeare is stupid!"

Tip #2. Notice how believers use the word 'faith'

One of the things that becomes apparent in serious Christian literature is that no one uses 'faith' in the sense of believing things without reasons. That might be Richard Dawkins' preferred definition - except when he was publicly asked by Oxford's Professor John Lennox whether he had 'faith' in his lovely wife - but it is important to know that in theology 'faith' always means personal trust in the God whose existence one accepts on other grounds. I think God is real for philosophical, historical, and experiential reasons. Only on the basis of my reasoned conviction can I then trust God - have faith in him - in the sense meant in theology.

Tip #3. Appreciate the status of 6-Day Creationism

Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Kraus have done a disservice to atheism by talking as though 6-Day Creationism is the default Christian conviction. But mainstream Christianities for decades have dismissed 6-Day Creationism as a misguided (if well-intentioned) project. Major conservative institutions like Sydney's Moore Theological College, which produces more full time ministers than any college in the country, have taught for years that Genesis 1 was never intended to be read concretely, let alone scientifically. This isn't Christians retreating before the troubling advances of science. From the earliest centuries many of the greats of Judaism (e.g., Philo and Maimonides) and Christianity (e.g., Clement, Ambrose, and Augustine) taught that the 'six days' of Genesis are a literary device, not a marker of time.

Tip #4. Repeat after me: no theologian claims a god-of-the-gaps

One slightly annoying feature of New Atheism is the constant claim that believers invoke God as an explanation of the 'gaps' in our knowledge of the universe: as we fill in the gaps with more science, God disappears. Even as thoughtful a man as Lawrence Kraus, a noted physicist, did this just last month on national radio following new evidence of the earliest moments of the Big Bang.

But the god-of-the-gaps is an invention of atheists. Serious theists have always welcomed explanations of the mechanics of the universe as further indications of the rational order of reality and therefore of the presence of a Mind behind reality. Kraus sounds like a clever mechanic who imagines that just because he can explain how a car works he has done away with the Manufacturer.

Tip #5. "Atheists just go one god more" is a joke, not an argument

I wish I had a dollar for every time an atheist insisted that I am an atheist with respect to Thor, Zeus, Krishna, and so on, and that atheists just go 'one god more'. As every trained philosopher knows, Christians are not absolute atheists with regard to other gods. They happily affirm the shared theistic logic that there must be a powerful Mind behind a rational universe. The disagreements concern how the deity has revealed itself in the world. Atheism is not just an extension of monotheism any more than celibacy is an extension of monogamy.

Tip #6. Claims that Christianity is social 'poison' backfire

Moving from science and philosophy to sociology, I regard New Atheism's "religion poisons everything" argument as perhaps its greatest faux pas. Not just because it is obviously untrue but because anyone who has entertained the idea and then bumped into an actual Christian community will quickly wonder what other fabrications Hitchens and Dawkins have spun.

I don't just mean that anyone who dips into Christian history will discover that the violence of Christendom is dwarfed by the bloodshed of non-religious and irreligious conflicts. I mean that those who find themselves, or their loved ones, in genuine need in this country are very, very likely to become the beneficiaries of direct and indirect Christian compassion. The faithful account for an inordinate amount of "volunteering hours" in Australia, they give blood at higher-than-normal rates, and 18 of the nation's 25 largest charities are Christian organisations. This doesn't make Christians better than atheists, but it puts the lie to the claim that they're worse.

Tip #7. Concede that Jesus lived, then argue about the details

Nearly 10 years after Richard Dawkins says that "a serious historical case" can be made that Jesus "never lived" (even if he admits that his existence is probable). It is astonishing to me that some atheists haven't caught up with the fact that this was always a nonsense statement. Even the man Dawkins cites at this point, GA Wells (a professor of German language, not a historian), published his own change of mind right about the time The God Delusion came out.

New Atheists should accept the academic reality that the vast majority of specialists in secular universities throughout the world consider it beyond reasonable doubt that Jesus lived, taught, gained a reputation as a healer, was crucified by Pontius Pilate, and was soon heralded by his followers as the resurrected Messiah. Unless sceptics can begin their arguments from this academic baseline, they are the mirror image of the religious fundamentalists they despise - unwilling to accept the scholarly mainstream over their metaphysical commitments.

Tip #8. Persuasion involves three factors

Aristotle was the first to point out that persuasion occurs through three factors: intellectual (logos), psychological (pathos), and social or ethical (ethos). People rarely change their minds merely on account of objective evidence. They usually need to feel the personal relevance and impact of a claim, and they also must feel that the source of the claim - whether a scientist or a priest - is trustworthy.

Christians frequently admit that their convictions developed under the influence of all three elements. When sceptics, however, insist that their unbelief is based solely on 'evidence', they appear one-dimensional and lacking in self-awareness. They would do better to figure out how to incorporate their evidence within the broader context of its personal relevance and credibility. I think this is why Alain de Botton is a far more persuasive atheist (for thoughtful folk) than Richard Dawkins or Lawrence Kraus. It is also why churches attract more enquirers than the local sceptics club.

Tip #9. Ask us about Old Testament violence

I promised to highlight vulnerabilities of the Christian Faith. Here are two.

Most thoughtful Christians find it difficult to reconcile the loving, self-sacrificial presentation of God in the New Testament with the seemingly harsh and violent portrayals of divinity in the Old Testament. I am not endorsing Richard Dawkins' attempts in chapter 7 of The God Delusion. There he mistakenly includes stories that the Old Testament itself holds up as counter examples of true piety. But there is a dissonance between Christ's "love your enemies" and Moses' "slay the wicked".

I am not sure this line of argument has the power to undo Christian convictions entirely. I, for one, feel that the lines of evidence pointing to God's self-disclosure in Christ are so robust that I am able to ponder the inconsistencies in the Old Testament without chucking in the Faith. Still, I reckon this is one line of scrutiny Christians haven't yet fully answered.

Tip #10. Press us on hell and judgment

Questions can also be raised about God's fairness with the world. I don't mean the problem of evil and suffering: philosophers seem to regard that argument as a 'draw'. I am talking about how Christians can, on the one hand, affirm God's costly love in Jesus Christ and, yet, on the other, maintain Christ's equally clear message that those who refuse the Creator will face eternal judgment. If God is so eager for our friendship that he would enter our world, share our humanity, and bear our punishment on the cross, how could he feel it is appropriate to send anyone to endless judgment?

This is a peculiar problem of the Christian gospel. If God were principally holy and righteous, and only occasionally magnanimous in special circumstances, we wouldn't be shocked by final judgment. But it is precisely because Jesus described God as a Father rushing to embrace and kiss the returning 'prodigal' that Christians wonder how to hold this in tension with warnings of hell and judgment.

Again, I'm not giving up on classical Christianity because of this internally generated dilemma, but I admit to feeling squeamish about it, and I secretly hope atheists in my audiences don't think to ask me about it.

I doubt there are any strong scientific, philosophical or historical arguments against Christianity. Most of those in current circulation are nowhere near as persuasive as New Atheism imagines. Contemporary sceptics would do well to drop them. Paradoxically, I do think Christianity is vulnerable at precisely the points of its own emphases. Its insistence on love, humility, and non-violence is what makes the Old Testament seem inconsistent. Its claim that God "loves us to death" (literally) creates the dilemma of its teaching about final judgment. Pressing Christians on this inner logic of the cross of Christ will make for a very interesting debate, I am sure. Believers may have decent answers, but at least you'll be touching a truly raw nerve of the Easter Faith.

Dr John Dickson is an author and historian, and a founding director of the Centre for Public Christianity. View his full profile here.
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 3:51pm On Sep 30, 2021
Nothingserious:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-18/dickson-tips-for-atheists/5397892

Top 10 tips for atheists this Easter

The Drum / By John Dickson
Posted Thu 17 Apr 2014 at 11:19pmThursday 17 Apr 2014 at 11:19pm, updated Fri 18 Apr 2014 at 2:20amFriday 18 Apr 2014 at 2:20am
There is a dissonance between Christ's "love your enemies" and Moses' "slay the wicked".
There is a dissonance between Christ's "love your enemies" and Moses' "slay the wicked".(Dean Lewins: AAP)
Help keep family & friends informed by sharing this article

COPY
Atheists should drop their easily dismissed scientific, philosophical or historical arguments against Christianity, and instead quiz believers about Old Testament violence and hell, writes John Dickson.

As an intellectual movement, Christianity has a head start on atheism. So it's only natural that believers would find some of the current arguments against God less than satisfying.

In the interests of a more robust debate this Easter, I want to offer my tips for atheists wanting to make a dent in the Faith. I've got some advice on arguments that should be dropped and some admissions about where Christians are vulnerable.

Tip #1. Dip into Christianity's intellectual tradition

This is the 1,984th Easter since 7 April AD 30, the widely accepted date among historians for the crucifixion of Jesus (the 1,981st if you find the arguments for 3 April AD 33 persuasive). Christians have been pondering this stuff for a long time. They've faced textual, historical, and philosophical scrutiny in almost every era, and they have left a sophisticated literary trail of reasons for the Faith.

My first tip, then, is to gain some awareness of the church's vast intellectual tradition. It is not enough to quip that 'intellectual' and 'church' are oxymoronic. Origen, Augustine, Philoponus, Aquinas, and the rest are giants of Western thought. Without some familiarity with these figures, or their modern equivalents - Pannenberg, Ward, MacIntrye, McGrath, Plantinga, Hart, Volf - popular atheists can sound like the kid in English class, "Miss, Shakespeare is stupid!"

Tip #2. Notice how believers use the word 'faith'

One of the things that becomes apparent in serious Christian literature is that no one uses 'faith' in the sense of believing things without reasons. That might be Richard Dawkins' preferred definition - except when he was publicly asked by Oxford's Professor John Lennox whether he had 'faith' in his lovely wife - but it is important to know that in theology 'faith' always means personal trust in the God whose existence one accepts on other grounds. I think God is real for philosophical, historical, and experiential reasons. Only on the basis of my reasoned conviction can I then trust God - have faith in him - in the sense meant in theology.

Tip #3. Appreciate the status of 6-Day Creationism

Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Kraus have done a disservice to atheism by talking as though 6-Day Creationism is the default Christian conviction. But mainstream Christianities for decades have dismissed 6-Day Creationism as a misguided (if well-intentioned) project. Major conservative institutions like Sydney's Moore Theological College, which produces more full time ministers than any college in the country, have taught for years that Genesis 1 was never intended to be read concretely, let alone scientifically. This isn't Christians retreating before the troubling advances of science. From the earliest centuries many of the greats of Judaism (e.g., Philo and Maimonides) and Christianity (e.g., Clement, Ambrose, and Augustine) taught that the 'six days' of Genesis are a literary device, not a marker of time.

Tip #4. Repeat after me: no theologian claims a god-of-the-gaps

One slightly annoying feature of New Atheism is the constant claim that believers invoke God as an explanation of the 'gaps' in our knowledge of the universe: as we fill in the gaps with more science, God disappears. Even as thoughtful a man as Lawrence Kraus, a noted physicist, did this just last month on national radio following new evidence of the earliest moments of the Big Bang.

But the god-of-the-gaps is an invention of atheists. Serious theists have always welcomed explanations of the mechanics of the universe as further indications of the rational order of reality and therefore of the presence of a Mind behind reality. Kraus sounds like a clever mechanic who imagines that just because he can explain how a car works he has done away with the Manufacturer.

Tip #5. "Atheists just go one god more" is a joke, not an argument

I wish I had a dollar for every time an atheist insisted that I am an atheist with respect to Thor, Zeus, Krishna, and so on, and that atheists just go 'one god more'. As every trained philosopher knows, Christians are not absolute atheists with regard to other gods. They happily affirm the shared theistic logic that there must be a powerful Mind behind a rational universe. The disagreements concern how the deity has revealed itself in the world. Atheism is not just an extension of monotheism any more than celibacy is an extension of monogamy.

Tip #6. Claims that Christianity is social 'poison' backfire

Moving from science and philosophy to sociology, I regard New Atheism's "religion poisons everything" argument as perhaps its greatest faux pas. Not just because it is obviously untrue but because anyone who has entertained the idea and then bumped into an actual Christian community will quickly wonder what other fabrications Hitchens and Dawkins have spun.

I don't just mean that anyone who dips into Christian history will discover that the violence of Christendom is dwarfed by the bloodshed of non-religious and irreligious conflicts. I mean that those who find themselves, or their loved ones, in genuine need in this country are very, very likely to become the beneficiaries of direct and indirect Christian compassion. The faithful account for an inordinate amount of "volunteering hours" in Australia, they give blood at higher-than-normal rates, and 18 of the nation's 25 largest charities are Christian organisations. This doesn't make Christians better than atheists, but it puts the lie to the claim that they're worse.

Tip #7. Concede that Jesus lived, then argue about the details

Nearly 10 years after Richard Dawkins says that "a serious historical case" can be made that Jesus "never lived" (even if he admits that his existence is probable). It is astonishing to me that some atheists haven't caught up with the fact that this was always a nonsense statement. Even the man Dawkins cites at this point, GA Wells (a professor of German language, not a historian), published his own change of mind right about the time The God Delusion came out.

New Atheists should accept the academic reality that the vast majority of specialists in secular universities throughout the world consider it beyond reasonable doubt that Jesus lived, taught, gained a reputation as a healer, was crucified by Pontius Pilate, and was soon heralded by his followers as the resurrected Messiah. Unless sceptics can begin their arguments from this academic baseline, they are the mirror image of the religious fundamentalists they despise - unwilling to accept the scholarly mainstream over their metaphysical commitments.

Tip #8. Persuasion involves three factors

Aristotle was the first to point out that persuasion occurs through three factors: intellectual (logos), psychological (pathos), and social or ethical (ethos). People rarely change their minds merely on account of objective evidence. They usually need to feel the personal relevance and impact of a claim, and they also must feel that the source of the claim - whether a scientist or a priest - is trustworthy.

Christians frequently admit that their convictions developed under the influence of all three elements. When sceptics, however, insist that their unbelief is based solely on 'evidence', they appear one-dimensional and lacking in self-awareness. They would do better to figure out how to incorporate their evidence within the broader context of its personal relevance and credibility. I think this is why Alain de Botton is a far more persuasive atheist (for thoughtful folk) than Richard Dawkins or Lawrence Kraus. It is also why churches attract more enquirers than the local sceptics club.

Tip #9. Ask us about Old Testament violence

I promised to highlight vulnerabilities of the Christian Faith. Here are two.

Most thoughtful Christians find it difficult to reconcile the loving, self-sacrificial presentation of God in the New Testament with the seemingly harsh and violent portrayals of divinity in the Old Testament. I am not endorsing Richard Dawkins' attempts in chapter 7 of The God Delusion. There he mistakenly includes stories that the Old Testament itself holds up as counter examples of true piety. But there is a dissonance between Christ's "love your enemies" and Moses' "slay the wicked".

I am not sure this line of argument has the power to undo Christian convictions entirely. I, for one, feel that the lines of evidence pointing to God's self-disclosure in Christ are so robust that I am able to ponder the inconsistencies in the Old Testament without chucking in the Faith. Still, I reckon this is one line of scrutiny Christians haven't yet fully answered.

Tip #10. Press us on hell and judgment

Questions can also be raised about God's fairness with the world. I don't mean the problem of evil and suffering: philosophers seem to regard that argument as a 'draw'. I am talking about how Christians can, on the one hand, affirm God's costly love in Jesus Christ and, yet, on the other, maintain Christ's equally clear message that those who refuse the Creator will face eternal judgment. If God is so eager for our friendship that he would enter our world, share our humanity, and bear our punishment on the cross, how could he feel it is appropriate to send anyone to endless judgment?

This is a peculiar problem of the Christian gospel. If God were principally holy and righteous, and only occasionally magnanimous in special circumstances, we wouldn't be shocked by final judgment. But it is precisely because Jesus described God as a Father rushing to embrace and kiss the returning 'prodigal' that Christians wonder how to hold this in tension with warnings of hell and judgment.

Again, I'm not giving up on classical Christianity because of this internally generated dilemma, but I admit to feeling squeamish about it, and I secretly hope atheists in my audiences don't think to ask me about it.

I doubt there are any strong scientific, philosophical or historical arguments against Christianity. Most of those in current circulation are nowhere near as persuasive as New Atheism imagines. Contemporary sceptics would do well to drop them. Paradoxically, I do think Christianity is vulnerable at precisely the points of its own emphases. Its insistence on love, humility, and non-violence is what makes the Old Testament seem inconsistent. Its claim that God "loves us to death" (literally) creates the dilemma of its teaching about final judgment. Pressing Christians on this inner logic of the cross of Christ will make for a very interesting debate, I am sure. Believers may have decent answers, but at least you'll be touching a truly raw nerve of the Easter Faith.

Dr John Dickson is an author and historian, and a founding director of the Centre for Public Christianity. View his full profile here.
Long articles and still no evidence of skydaddy.

No wonder he doesn’t exist cheesy
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 4:26pm On Sep 30, 2021
Workch:
Long articles and still no evidence of skydaddy.

No wonder he doesn’t exist cheesy

Lol!

Not for you actually. It’s an evidence against your foolishness. Just for the records you know...
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 4:56pm On Sep 30, 2021
Nothingserious:

Lol!

Not for you actually. It’s an evidence against your foolishness. Just for the records you know...
The lack of evidence for your god made me foolish cheesy
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 5:11pm On Sep 30, 2021
Workch:
The lack of evidence for your god made me foolish cheesy

No. You made yourself foolish by your stance and intellectual ineptitude.
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 5:11pm On Sep 30, 2021
Nothingserious:

No. You made yourself foolish by your stance and intellectual ineptitude.
Just leave insult and provide evidence for your friend grin
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 5:14pm On Sep 30, 2021
Workch:
Just leave insult and provide evidence for your friend grin

It’s a good start that you could recognize insult.
That’s an improvement from you.
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Workch: 5:19pm On Sep 30, 2021
Nothingserious:

It’s a good start that you could recognize insult.
That’s an improvement from you.
The only thing left is to provide evidence for your imaginary friend cheesy
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Techguy96(m): 8:17pm On Sep 30, 2021
BigCowH0rn:

Mumu. I wasn't here for an intellectual debate but was trolling a particular person.

If you think your little education in Nigeria is better than mine open a thread and mention me.
Any topic, including the extinction of the dinosaurs and the ice ages.

Below is me laughing at your stupidity.
Na so, when u know u have fuçk, u start shifting goal post.
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by BigCowH0rn: 10:14pm On Sep 30, 2021
Techguy96:

Na so, when u know u have fuçk, u start shifting goal post.

I no dey shift any goal post. Go and open a thread on any topic and mention me.
Just once and you'll never try it again on Nairaland

Ever!
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Techguy96(m): 7:37am On Oct 01, 2021
BigCowH0rn:

I no dey shift any goal post. Go and open a thread on any topic and mention me.
Just once and you'll never try it again on Nairaland

Ever!
So I should open a thread because of you?
Why not u open the thread to prove yourself right.
Do u think I'm that jobless.
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by BigCowH0rn: 9:42pm On Oct 01, 2021
Techguy96:

So I should open a thread because of you?
Why not u open the thread to prove yourself right.
Do u think I'm that jobless.

Yes, i think you are that jobless.
You are the one trying to prove wiser than thou on a faceless forum so my advice is go open a thread to test your intelligence and knowledge against that of the person behind this moniker.

grin Abi you dey fear disgrace?

Shabi i be illiterate wey no know anything? Go get a thread if them train you well.
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 5:24am On Oct 02, 2021
Workch:
You believe fairytales without evidence because you brain is not functioning properly.

Garbage in, garbage out. cheesy

Again is this statement of yours an empirical truth?
Everything you do or type here and in every aspect of your life should be reduced to empiricism. Don’t you think so?
Lol. You are already failing
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Nothingserious: 5:26am On Oct 02, 2021
DrBrainstorm:

According to the Bible, Lions, pythons, sheeps all lived together but this did not continue to be so after the fall of man.
And as to people keeping wild animals among them, please buy a lion, a tiger, a sheep and a Python and put them in the same space.

And to you not impressed, bi*ch please! I could give a Bleep

https://www.nairaland.com/6781747/sa-daycare-suddenly-tigers-living
Re: Noah's ark Hunters Claim boat Found in Mountains Using 3D Scans(Pics) by Techguy96(m): 12:55pm On Oct 02, 2021
BigCowH0rn:

Yes, i think you are that jobless.
You are the one trying to prove wiser than thou on a faceless forum so my advice is go open a thread to test your intelligence and knowledge against that of the person behind this moniker.

grin Abi you dey fear disgrace?

Shabi i be illiterate wey no know anything? Go get a thread if them train you well.
Go n tell ur father to open a thread not me

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

The Sack Letter Of Pastors In Winners Chapel Over 'Poor Church Growth' (Photo) / Church Of Satan Replies Nigerian Man Who Wants To Join Illuminati / CAN Reacts To COZA Pastor Bidoun Fatoyinbo's Rape Allegation By Busola Dakolo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.